Menu

Dr Hive (wasp sting)

heartlikealion

Like something out of a horror movie, a swarm of wasps attacked when the librarian and I opened the book drop. We both got stung. I got stung on my thigh a few hours ago and when I woke up from my nap the area had spread. I just realized I have some Benadryl here I can take, but I don't have any hydrocortisone. Any one have experience with these? I don't know if I had an allergic reaction or if it's normal, but the red area is huge, like the size of a coaster. Honestly, if I don't think about it too much I don't notice the area. It's just visually really bad. The initial pain/stinging was earlier. Oh and I used the "Bug Bite Thing" device on it as soon as I got home but I don't even think that device works. 

Local reactions to hymenoptera venom can be quite big.  A bee flew up my trouser leg on a backpacking trip on the weekend and got me upper thigh/groin!  The sting site was red, angry and firm, peak size 4 inches in diameter.  And so itchy!  It stayed big like that for about 3 days, then slowly shrank.  I still have 1x2 inch area of redness, but not swollen anymore.

8 minutes ago, wathe said:

Local reactions to hymenoptera venom can be quite big.  A bee flew up my trouser leg on a backpacking trip on the weekend and got me upper thigh/groin!  The sting site was red, angry and firm, peak size 4 inches in diameter.  And so itchy!  It stayed big like that for about 3 days, then slowly shrank.  I still have 1x2 inch area of redness, but not swollen anymore.

Yikes

Yes, I think that's what this is. Local reaction. I don't have any of the other symptoms. I did wash it with water and soap earlier and never found a stinger so I don't think one was left behind. I did ice it, but apparently not as long as recommended. 

• Like 1

Tonight it itched again and looked irritated. I tried spit lol but that was before my shower so not sure if that had time to do anything. I put shower on hottest setting and ran the water over it. I took one Benadryl pill last night but the box says 1-2 so tonight maybe 2? I’ve been moving into my new place and most of the day it didn’t affect me so I didn’t think to buy anything else while I was out. 

• Like 1