Menu

Dr. Hive - help me with the blood draw results while I wait to hear from the pedi?

Noreen Claire

I don’t know what the variances are for pediatric patients, but in the absence of symptoms I would assume he was fighting an infection rather than anything worrisome. Feel free to call your pediatrician’s nurse line and ask. 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, sassenach said:

The differential looks a little more suggestive of ongoing allergies than acute infection. One time ds had mildly weird blood results when he was healing from a big fall with road rash down his leg. 

my thought as well, with the elevated eosinophils in particular. 

If it helps, I'm pretty sure (and I could be wrong) that with say, blood cancers, it is usually a particular kind of wbc that is elevated, not several like that. So if that is where your mind went, I would say WAY WAY WAY more likely that he has some hay fever going on, or a low grade infection. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

my thought as well, with the elevated eosinophils in particular. 

If it helps, I'm pretty sure (and I could be wrong) that with say, blood cancers, it is usually a particular kind of wbc that is elevated, not several like that. So if that is where your mind went, I would say WAY WAY WAY more likely that he has some hay fever going on, or a low grade infection. 

I’m a peds oncology nurse and my brain didn’t go anywhere near cancer. The numbers are way more extreme than this and they get that way quickly. It’s not a slow shift. 

• Like 4

Thanks, all. These numbers came in as I was going to bed last night, and I know that googling medical things at night is NEVER a good idea.

He has mild symptoms of hay fever. He had covid in May, if that could be a part of this. He's not asthmatic.

His behavior has been an issue lately, and I was wondering if he had something else going on. An infection of some type would track with that. 

Still waiting for the pedi to return my message...

Edited by Noreen Claire

26 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

Thanks, all. These numbers came in as I was going to bed last night, and I know that googling medical things at night is NEVER a good idea.

He has mild symptoms of hay fever. He had covid in May, if that could be a part of this. He's not asthmatic.

His behavior has been an issue lately, and I was wondering if he had something else going on. An infection of some type would track with that. 

Still waiting for the pedi to return my message...

allergies alone can make a person tired and grumpy. It also can cause interrupted and less restful sleep, again leading to tired and grumpy. 

Trick is finding allergy meds they tolerate well. One of my kids cannot have Zyrtec without turning into a basket case of anxiety and tears. One gets super sleepy and is basically out of it on zyrtec. One does GREAT on zyrtec. I used to do well, but now get sleepy on it, so take allergra with singulair when it is bad. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 2:39 PM, Ottakee said:

Can they test for strep?  Strep infections don’t always have fevers but can lead to behavioral issues

We have plenty of experience with strep and PANDAS/PANS here with DS13. This is not at that level , but it's also not a bad idea.

The pedi called and we talked about possible infections and also hay fever; the plan is to have him on daily antihistamines and retake the blood draw in a month. (Since he kicked the phlebotomist, I am not looking forward to doing that again so soon. Gah.)