Menu

Hearing aid questions

SquirrellyMama

These might be dumb questions, I really don't know much about the topic and haven't gotten good Google results. I'm trying to help my mom.

She just got new hearing aids within the last 2 years. She went through Costco. They haven't been working the greatest. I think she has gone back there, but didn't get a lot of assistance.

Here is my first question. If you only have 30% of your hearing capacity in one of your ears due to an accident, will a hearing aid really be able to help? 

Second question, will going to an independent audiologist be more helpful than going back to Costco? 

Thanks! Kelly

9 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I can't answer those questions.  But is she wearing them most of her waking hours? The brain needs to acclimatise to the hearing aids for them to work properly.

She doesn't wear them when she is alone in her apartment, but she has had hearing aids for quite some time. Hmmm, interesting thought. Maybe I'll make sure she wears them even if she doesn't thinks she needs them in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SquirrellyMama said:

She doesn't wear them when she is alone in her apartment, but she has had hearing aids for quite some time. Hmmm, interesting thought. Maybe I'll make sure she wears them even if she doesn't thinks she needs them in.

My mother's only started to 'work' after she moved in with us and we insisted she wear them all the time.

• Like 4

An audiologist will be able to tell whether a hearing aid in the worse ear is beneficial or not. My husband's hearing impairment in his left ear is so profound that no audiologist has ever recommended a hearing aid for that ear. What he gets is a bi-cross system where he does wear a microphone-only type aid in the left ear that feeds the sound to the hearing aid in his right ear (so he can hear sounds coming from his left side). If she can hear with an aid in the worse ear it is probably better to have it than to just rely on the better ear.

I would have her go to an independent audiologist at least every few years. 

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, maize said:

An audiologist will be able to tell whether a hearing aid in the worse ear is beneficial or not. My husband's hearing impairment in his left ear is so profound that no audiologist has ever recommended a hearing aid for that ear. What he gets is a bi-cross system where he does wear a microphone-only type aid in the left ear that feeds the sound to the hearing aid in his right ear (so he can gear sounds coming from his left side). If she can hear with an aid in the worse ear it is probably better to have it than to just rely on the better ear.

I would have her go to an independent audiologist at least every few years. 

This is exactly the same for me. In my bad ear, no amount of amplification will help. I have a cross system that feeds sound from my bad ear into my other ear that is not impaired. My ent said that if anyone ever offered me a hearing aid for my impaired ear to run—that they didn’t know what they were doing.
They do need to be cleaned fairly frequently so I’d also check that.

• Like 1

I'm biased because my dd is an AuD student, but she would say go to an independent audiologist. She has told me that she doesn't recommend anyone to use Costco for hearing aids, but I can't remember exactly why. I'll ask her.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Second question, will going to an independent audiologist be more helpful than going back to Costco? 

Yes, if it's the kind of practice that takes time to help people understand their issues. I have a friend who is one, and she's worked in places that are more accommodating and other places that are more about the sale. 

I agree with what others have said about wearing them all the time.

A friend who is an audiologist also says that due to expense, it can be difficult to get people to get hearing aids that have the features that will make you really want to wear them. I think there are more options all the time, but that is a real thing sometimes. 

If she is a fall risk, I am just going to mention that hearing aids have come a long way--there are aids that detect falls and even talk to you when you set alarms for meds and such. It's wild. 

• Like 1

Here is how my dd explains it:

So the number one thing is that Costco locks hearing aids. So if you aren’t satisfied with their care you don’t have the power to go somewhere else and get better programming and care once they dispense you hearing aids.

It’s kind of like if your got glasses and then had to see the Costco person as your eye doctor. It’s just not super ideal and Costco doesn’t have all equipment available at their disposal to take care of you if you have any problems. 

Costco can adjust your hearing aids and turn volume up and down and make minor adjustments. Costco likely won’t be able to do things like real ear measurements (very important to get custom acoustics of your ear canal, makes custom amplification based on the way your ear canal naturally amplifies sound for you). This is not always important but VERY important if your ear canal is wonky and twisty. 

Costco also won’t be able to do much besides pure tone tests. I don’t think they do any tests to check your middle ear function etc. also a lot of Costco people are not full audiologists but just techs, so they don’t have a great understanding of your system. Again, it would be like using the Costco optician as your eye doctor. 

If you have a basic hearing loss and you aren’t a very complicated person, it’s fine! But if you are picky about the kind of care you get, or anticipate bumps in the road medically, I would highly advise against going with Costco.

She says she’s not a Costco hater, but it isn’t right for everyone.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

audiologist in my prior life.  You have received some great advice.  30% hearing really isn't a helpful description.  If you can obtain a copy of her actual hearing test I can give you a better idea if hearing aids would likely be encouraged.

• Like 1

Team Audiologist!! 

My husband goes in quite often to get his adjusted one way or another. It makes a huge difference. 

I don't know percentages but his hearing loss is moderately severe. He would not be able to talk on the phone without his hearing aids (his phone conversations go directly to his hearing aids via some wizardry). 

• Like 2

My dd has had reduced hearing since birth.  She meets with an audiologist every few years, and has worn hearing aids since 1st grade.  They definitely help in her situation!  She doesn't wear them all the time, but would wear them in class, and now wears them at work.  They do need to be adjusted from time to time, and of course there are always newer and better ones out there.  The last ones she got enable her to connect her iPhone music to her hearing aids via bluetooth!

• Like 1

No expertise here, but i'll share my experience in case it helps.

While my mother was still living, she complained her hearing aids didn't seem to be working well.

I found a highly-rated (and reasonable) independent audiologist. He adjusted her settings, but he also had an in-ear camera. He showed me that there was significant ear wax build up and suggested I take her to a doctor's office for a good cleaning and then return.

I followed his advice. Got her ears cleaned (they were bad) and he re-tuned the hearing aids. And he refused additional payment.

Between the two fixes, the hearing aids were much improved.

I don't believe most audiologists have in-ear cameras, but was grateful that he did.

Bill

• Like 2