Menu

IKEA stuff...

BakersDozen

We were recently gifted massive amounts of science supplies - I filled half of my 15-passenger van with boxes from roof to floor. That doesn't even include the massive amounts of stuff I already had in my house! With science I go all out (because I was bored to tears during my own school years and just wanted to use all of the fun things I knew were stored in the cabinets and on shelves).

We have a 2-car garage that has never had a vehicle in it. My dc didn't realize that normal families actually park their cars in a garage - they thought all families have science and art supplies and books galore in garages, lol! I remember one of mine asking, "Mama, why do those people have their car inside their house??"

I am determined to convert my garage into a science/art room. I'd like to have one area with a fantastic table and oodles of storage because right now my science stuff is literally in 4 different places. It's kind of funny because people walk into my LR and notice the "decor" which includes a set of 3 beautiful Pyrex flasks (4000ml, 5000ml, 6000ml...swoon) and body part models (doesn't everyone have a model skull with a model brain inside it grinning at people as they walk in the door?!).

I could go on and on about my science supplies but what I really need is input regarding IKEA furniture.

I've been advised to put together a DIY craft table. Given that my crafting skills are a solid and unimpressive '0,' this has to be easy peasy. Are IKEA tables and storage units what I want? I can't afford the lovely octagon science table I found on-line, unfortunately, so am considering something like this.

I have just the summer to get this done so help me if you can, please!

large-craft-table-with-storage.jpg

• Thanks 1

I find IKEA stuff to be fairly easy to put together IF you have a helper who thinks the same way as you. Some pieces can be challenging to do alone, and some people can be, um, challenging to collaborate with on vague instructions.

Also, IKEA is super short on most of the best inventory.  RIP to my dream PAX closet.  We’ll see what the future holds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would also hit  up your thriftstores and Facebook market place to see what is  out there. 

IKEA stuff is easy to put together and would be great for this. I am not sure if it is  cheaper still, but I go to Home Depot or  Walmart and have  purchased the closet shelves and a piece of plywood and have made a similar table. I am crafty and handy so it is more work, but plywood is now expensive so it may not be a good deal. I also used drop cloths to cover everything up - easy to wash and difficult to destroy. 

As far as ikea goes, that looks like maybe four 3-shelf Billy bookshelves and two Lagkapten table tops. 
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lagkapten-tabletop-white-40460815/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-white-30263844/

My dd has the Lagkapten top with Alex drawers in her room for a desk/makeup table. It’s held up okay. 

Does IKEA have their shortages still? The design you want can easily be replicated with some wood (though plywood is $$ now) and some generic ClosetMaid-type shelves. IKEA isn’t too much better than the same style you can get from Walmart or where ever.  They’re all time-consuming but straightforward to assemble. 

That looks like short Billy bookcases and desktops?   

For our soon-to-be desk in the addition, we got kitchen countertops because they are sturdier.    I don't how the dimensions will work out. but something to ponder.    The kitchen island size might work.   

We've bought a lot of IKEA lately.    You have to watch the website closely for stock and get it while it is in.  Because it won't be there long.  

We have a lot of our science stuff stored in these cabinets from Ikea. You can line them up to look sort of like built ins, and put the stuff that is cool to look at on top, displayed. So, we have the globe on top, but the box of microscope supplies inside, that kind of thing. They were only $79 when I got them. 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/brimnes-cabinet-with-doors-white-40300662/

These are the easiest, most budget friendly, shelves I’ve ever made. I’ve done these by myself a couple times. It’s a trip to the hardware store and they can cut the plywood for you. (I know this video mentions pocket holes, but there’s a work-around for that.) As long as you’re using that space to learn, you may as well start with a project!

• Like 3

So around 3am I had an epiphany. Or maybe it was just severe fatigue and the idea I had is horrible.

Given that I need something really solid and hefty, what if I used metal filing cabinets instead of IKEA stuff? I could combine lateral and vertical cabinets with some kind of table top. I have to store a lot of stuff, some of it pretty hefty (beautiful, amazing centrifuge, for example).

I've done similar shelves to the ones posted above.   But I used some of those metal brackets from Home Depot.   In with the brackets people sometimes use on the house framing.   Super-duper easy and sturdy.   Same basic idea, but instead of the horizontals being nailed to the verticals, the horizontals were cut and placed into the bracket.  

Do you have a source of cheap metal filing cabinets?   

12 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

So around 3am I had an epiphany. Or maybe it was just severe fatigue and the idea I had is horrible.

Given that I need something really solid and hefty, what if I used metal filing cabinets instead of IKEA stuff? I could combine lateral and vertical cabinets with some kind of table top. I have to store a lot of stuff, some of it pretty hefty (beautiful, amazing centrifuge, for example).

Look at the Alex drawers from Ikea - they are made to be used with table tops. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

30 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

FB Marketplace for the Phoenix area - lots and lots there.

If you are considering metal filing cabinets, you might want to look at used metal lockers too.

Check out warehouses that sell used office and school furnitures.

• Like 1