Menu

What do you say when there are no words? Loss.

Brittany1116

I have a friend that was local to me for years. We met on FB. She moved out of state a few years ago. We kept in contact on FB. Stupidly, I deleted FB in 2020 without saving her other contact info. I looked for her online this week. Found her name on a gofundme because her husband and daughter were in a fatal accident last year. I sent the organizer an email with my contact info, my relationship to her, and my deep condolences at the news. When/if she contacts me... what do I even say? I missed you and looked for you and am so devastated to learn about this terrible loss??

Edited by Brittany1116
Emotional typos.
  • Sad 15

49 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

I have a friend that was local to me for years. We met on FB. She moved out of state a few years ago. We kept in contact on FB. Stupidly, I deleted FB in 2020 without saving her other contact info. I looked for her online this week. Found her name on a gofundme because her husband and daughter were in a fatal accident last year. I sent the organizer an email with my contact info, my relationship to her, and my deep condolences at the news. When/if she contacts me... what do I even say? I missed you and looked for you and am so devastated to learn about this terrible loss??

I would but upfront and explain FB was deleted.  apologize for not looking her up sooner, and express your condolences.

I think when words are inadequate - they need to be simple.  There's nothing you can say to "fix" it, or make her feel better.  There's a reason "I'm so sorry for you loss" (or similar) was a standard for so long.  Now that people want to 'express themselves". . . . they're coming up short.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brittany1116 said:

I think your idea of what to say is perfect! 

I’m so sorry about your friend’s husband and daughter. She must be devastated. 😞 

• Like 1