Menu

Sgr A*

bibiche

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

What?! Not everyone in the entire world and particularly on this forum is talking about it? You guys!!!

https://news.mit.edu/2022/first-supermassive-black-hole-sagitarrius-0512

link to the NASA movie at the bottom. So cool!

I was listening to NPR awhile driving kids to the ice rink and they described it as “an orange donut”. I get home and look it up and I’m like WHAT?! That is not a donut. That is the Eye of Sauron!🫣

D27AEB94-FE50-405D-8353-7A829DCA2537.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

58 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I was listening to NPR awhile driving kids to the ice rink and they described it as “an orange donut”. I get home and look it up and I’m like WHAT?! That is not a donut. That is the Eye of Sauron!🫣

D27AEB94-FE50-405D-8353-7A829DCA2537.jpeg

There is a resemblance to an old fashion glaced from Tim Hortons. 😉 Some scientist or news person must enjoy donuts. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wintermom said:

There is a resemblance to an old fashion glaced from Tim Hortons. 😉 Some scientist or news person must enjoy donuts. 

Well, now we have our fun extra project for tomorrow. I think we need to make Sgr A* donuts!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What is the fire around it?  how come we never saw the fire before? Is it small? It looks as big as the sun.

it does not look like a donut to me of any variety.  It looks like a weird solar eclipse.  

could they send a satellite into it?  I wonder what’s on the other side, where it would lead to?  I did not know there could be a black hole in our solar system.  I feel sad that we will not explore it in my lifetime.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

What is the fire around it?  how come we never saw the fire before? Is it small? It looks as big as the sun.

it does not look like a donut to me of any variety.  It looks like a weird solar eclipse.  

could they send a satellite into it?  I wonder what’s on the other side, where it would lead to?  I did not know there could be a black hole in our solar system.  I feel sad that we will not explore it in my lifetime.  

The image it makes is actually bigger than our sun. 

helpful link to q&a from the discoverer:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/q-a-she-discovered-the-black-hole-at-the-center-of-our-galaxy-this-week-she-finally-saw-it/ar-AAXf5px

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 8:41 PM, bibiche said:

What?! Not everyone in the entire world and particularly on this forum is talking about it? You guys!!!

https://news.mit.edu/2022/first-supermassive-black-hole-sagitarrius-0512

link to the NSF movie at the bottom. So cool!

Believe it or not, I did know what you were talking about because I fell down a rabbit (black) hole on the web today when I was supposed to be looking up something at work having nothing to do with black holes. I saw one of those silly Gmail “News” things but it looked interesting and I learned about Sag A. 

• Like 1