Menu

My poor cat :(

stephanier.1765

In February, she was having trouble urinating. As in, she was peeing in small amounts in various places, mostly on my bed. They gave her antibiotics and it stopped. Two weeks ago, she started vomiting and having diarrhea, again outside of her litterbox (in the bathtub, bathmats, and bedroom floor). After a lot of testing, they diagnosed her with a foreign body and gave her antibiotics along with some nausea medication and it stopped. This Monday, a few days after finishing the new round of antibiotics, she started the urinating thing again and again it was mostly on my bed. More testing showed no signs of a UTI so they put her on amitriptyline. Last night, she started again with the vomiting and diarrhea, some in her litterbox and some on the bedroom carpet.

She is no better and the amitriptyline (I think) has turned her into a zombie. She's not streaking through the house chasing her sisters. Mostly, she's sleeping. I don't know what to do. We have spent so much money on so many tests. I don't know what else the vet can do either but I'm desperate for her to be better! 😪 

• Sad 14

I'm sorry! Did they actually see a foreign body on imaging or did they mean crystals in her urine, or what was that diagnosis based on? I'm confused on that part because it seems like a foreign body would need to be removed at this point, especially with the vomiting and diarrhea. Is she eating still and what does she eat?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KSera said:

I'm sorry! Did they actually see a foreign body on imaging or did they mean crystals in her urine, or what was that diagnosis based on? I'm confused on that part because it seems like a foreign body would need to be removed at this point, especially with the vomiting and diarrhea. Is she eating still and what does she eat?

Good question. Did they think she ate something like a piece of string, or something, or something that would eventually pass? 

I hate, hate, hate it when pets are sick. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

The imaging showed something in her smaller intestines along with a lot of gas. The vet thought it was a hairball, but couldn't be positive, and that it would pass. 

The first time the urinating problem started they couldn't get a urine sample because she had basically peed herself empty. They finally did get a sample a few days later and I was told there was still some bacteria present and to continue with the antibiotics and to request more if the problem resurfaced in a week or two. It didn't but has now. Same behavior but this time they were able to get a sample and sent it out to a lab instead of doing it in house. This sample showed no bacteria at all. It's all so strange. I think they think it's a behavioral issue, and it might just be. But the additional problem of vomiting and diarrhea makes me not so sure.

Up until today, she's been eating normally. This morning she was excited to be fed but she didn't finish. In the mornings they get dry food, Purina One High Protein Ideal Weight, and in the evenings they get wet food, Solid Gold, mixed with FortiFlora, and with water to make a nice thick gravy (they love it that way).

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Up until today, she's been eating normally. This morning she was excited to be fed but she didn't finish. In the mornings they get dry food, Purina One High Protein Ideal Weight, and in the evenings they get wet food, Solid Gold, mixed with FortiFlora, and with water to make a nice thick gravy (they love it that way).

Have you tried feeding morning and evening the same way you do it evening? It’s pretty typical for cats with urinary problems (which is eventually a lot of cats) to not be able to handle dry food in their diet at all without it causing exacerbation of urinary problems. One or two meals of dry is enough to set my cat off. Your evening routine sounds ideal for a cat with urinary trouble. None of that explains the diarrhea or vomiting though, and I’m surprised the Vet isn’t giving more guidance on what to do next as far as foreign body. Are you already giving some kind of hair ball remedy? Did it start before or after she started on antibiotics? Has she been on the Forti flora for a long time before this so that you know that that’s not disagreeing with her? Usually forti flora would be something that’s recommended in your cat’s situation, but worth making sure the problem didn’t start after that addition.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Have you tried feeding morning and evening the same way you do it evening? No, I haven't only because DH has fed the other cats by the time I get up so if I feed her wet food, the others will be jealous and pounce on it. But now I think I'm going to ask DH not to feed them and I'll feed the whole group when I get up with wet food. Are you already giving some kind of hair ball remedy? The vet gave us Laxatone, which every cat in my house hates. So I bought them Simply Kind Hearted Hairball Control, which a friend of mine swears by because her cats would eat the whole tube if they could, but again, mine hate it. Ugh. Did it start before or after she started on antibiotics? There was a big gap in time from the first antibiotics (Feb-May) until she had the vomiting and diarrhea. The second round of antibiotics was for the vomiting/diarrhea. So, I guess the answer to your question is before. Has she been on the Forti flora for a long time before this so that you know that that’s not disagreeing with her? They've been on the Forti Flora for about 18 months. They love that stuff. I think they'd actually eat just the powder. LOL Usually forti flora would be something that’s recommended in your cat’s situation, but worth making sure the problem didn’t start after that addition.

Last night was the first night without diarrhea. Yay! I had to take another cat in for her shots on Friday and they asked how she was while we were there. So they gave me a few medications, one was an antibiotic and another was a different probiotic. I started feeding her soft food morning and night and have been putting the new probiotic in both feedings. I've been giving her antinausea medication with her amitriptyline at night. Something finally started working. She's much more alert during the day now that I've been giving her the amitriptyline at night and she LOVES getting soft food twice a day. I really, really hope this clears it up permanently. I hate seeing her sick.

• Like 7

Last night was the first night without diarrhea. Yay! I had to take another cat in for her shots on Friday and they asked how she was while we were there. So they gave me a few medications, one was an antibiotic and another was a different probiotic. I started feeding her soft food morning and night and have been putting the new probiotic in both feedings. I've been giving her antinausea medication with her amitriptyline at night. Something finally started working. She's much more alert during the day now that I've been giving her the amitriptyline at night and she LOVES getting soft food twice a day. I really, really hope this clears it up permanently. I hate seeing her sick.

I'm really glad to read that your cat is improving.

I actually logged in to see if there was an update and figured I'd need to search, but there was my answer right on the front page.

I am a cat neophyte, we have only had our Desmond--the first cat of my lifetime--since last October, so reluctant to give advice.

But I did nod my head when I read the advice @KSera offered above. Everything I've been reading on cat nutrition and urinary issues would have led me to cut out the dry food. I'm glad that seems to be helping.

I've been totally won over my our family feline. Wishing you the best for further improvements.

Bill

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I'm really glad to read that your cat is improving.

I actually logged in to see if there was an update and figured I'd need to search, but there was my answer right on the front page.

I am a cat neophyte, we have only had our Desmond--the first cat of my lifetime--since last October, so reluctant to give advice.

But I did nod my head when I read the advice @KSera offered above. Everything I've been reading on cat nutrition and urinary issues would have led me to cut out the dry food. I'm glad that seems to be helping.

I've been totally won over my our family feline. Wishing you the best for further improvements.

Bill

Thank you! It does help knowing there are other people who understand and who are wishing for the best. This particular cat, out of our four, is my constant companion. I would be lost without her.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Thank you! It does help knowing there are other people who understand and who are wishing for the best. This particular cat, out of our four, is my constant companion. I would be lost without her.

I will admit I did not fully understand what it was about cats that made people love them so.

That has changed. Now I understand.

Seeing a beloved pet struggling is hard. Hopefully you are on the right path and she will be fully on the mend soon.

Bill

• Like 4

7 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Yay! That's great news!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I will admit I did not fully understand what it was about cats that made people love them so.

That has changed. Now I understand.

Seeing a beloved pet struggling is hard. Hopefully you are on the right path and she will be fully on the mend soon.

Bill

I'm an avowed dog lover and what little experience I have with cats, I'm not sure I'd want one. @Spy Car What it is that has changed to make you understand? Putting it in my words, not yours: what do you like about the cat that is different from what you had anticipated?

I'm asking to learn, not to be snarky. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

I'm an avowed dog lover and what little experience I have with cats, I'm not sure I'd want one. @Spy Car What it is that has changed to make you understand? Putting it in my words, not yours: what do you like about the cat that is different from what you had anticipated?

I'm asking to learn, not to be snarky. Thanks in advance. 

With dogs it is a given that they will love you. It is one of the great things about dogs. They are always happy to see you.

When a cat gives you love, you feel like you have earned it. Not sure that makes sense, but I think people who have cats know what I mean.

And when a cat has chosen you and is in your lap or in your arms and they start to purr? Few things in life are more fulfilling or relaxing. It provokes feelings of well-being.

And they are cool to watch. Cats are still a bit wild. Like little lions or tigers. They have the cunning brains and behaviors of hunters. You can watch the wheels of their mind's turn.

I've always been a "dog person," and I'm not about to knock our canine friends. Dogs are totally awesome.

I have just found our cat touches my heart.He really does. And a total tonic for my wife--which is the true reason I relented to the idea. She is so happy.

My parents were highly allergic to cats (I am not) so while they were alive it wasn't even a consideration and I sort of dismissed cats as something foreign to me.

But now I'm very glad to be having the experience. And Desmond loves the homemade meals I put together for him--and I get a great deal of pleasure from watching him eat.

A good and adventurous eater that one. I was under the impression cats were very picky eaters. Perhaps we just got lucky?

My only real concern was how Chester, our Vizsla, was going to take having "fur" in the house, but it has worked out fine.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

With dogs it is a given that they will love you. It is one of the great things about dogs. They are always happy to see you.

When a cat gives you love, you feel like you have earned it. Not sure that makes sense, but I think people who have cats know what I mean.

And when a cat has chosen you and is in your lap or in your arms and they start to purr? Few things in life are more fulfilling or relaxing. It provokes feelings of well-being.

And they are cool to watch. Cats are still a bit wild. Like little lions or tigers. They have the cunning brains and behaviors of hunters. You can watch the wheels of their mind's turn.

I've always been a "dog person," and I'm not about to knock our canine friends. Dogs are totally awesome.

I have just found our cat touches my heart.He really does. And a total tonic for my wife--which is the true reason I relented to the idea. She is so happy.

My parents were highly allergic to cats (I am not) so while they were alive it wasn't even a consideration and I sort of dismissed cats as something foreign to me.

But now I'm very glad to be having the experience. And Desmond loves the homemade meals I put together for him--and I get a great deal of pleasure from watching him eat.

A good and adventurous eater that one. I was under the impression cats were very picky eaters. Perhaps we just got lucky?

My only real concern was how Chester, our Vizsla, was going to take having "fur" in the house, but it has worked out fine.

Bill

I've felt that the terriers we've had, including the Yorkie, were independent in temperament, similar to cats. They definitely had a mind of their own: the relationship was on their terms. It was only in his very elder years that the Yorkie would come and relax in my lap; prior to that, he would curl in a bed at my feet next to the couch, but he would never relax in my arms.  

Purring? Nope, not with dogs. That is cat magic. 

We had to put the Yorkie to sleep a couple of weekends ago. I miss him terribly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

I've felt that the terriers we've had, including the Yorkie, were independent in temperament, similar to cats. They definitely had a mind of their own: the relationship was on their terms. It was only in his very elder years that the Yorkie would come and relax in my lap; prior to that, he would curl in a bed at my feet next to the couch, but he would never relax in my arms.  

We had to put the Yorkie to sleep a couple of weekends ago. I miss him terribly. 

Aww, I'm sorry. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

My condolences on the Yorkie. So hard.

Terriers do have an independence that some dogs lack. There is an expression about Vizslas (who are known as "velcro dogs") that translates from Hungarian (where the breed originates) as "if you own a Vizsla, they want to live on your head." 

Chester will press so hard into me that it seems like he wish to meld. Not at all independent.

I hope the memory of your Yorkie brings you peace. The hardest part of owning a dog is knowing you will lose them one day. Sorry.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Oh no, I am so very incredibly sorry! Just the thought of my dog still will bring tears to my eyes these several years later. It feels like you are losing a bit of your soul when you lose a pet. You definitely lose a bit of your heart.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Here is a photo that I hope provides a laugh.

Last night Desmond was so relaxed that he rolled out of his boppy (best cat bed ever) and just laid there--passed out cold.

Had to grab a snap. Bill

Cats are weird. One of my favorite things about them. LOL What a handsome boy you have! I just want to run my fingers through his coat.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2022 at 12:31 PM, Spy Car said:

Here is a photo that I hope provides a laugh.

Last night Desmond was so relaxed that he rolled out of his boppy (best cat bed ever) and just laid there--passed out cold.

Had to grab a snap.

DxQiecg.png

Bill

That is cute and funny. His paws are to die for. You need to frame a close-up of his pads in good lighting. They are so handsome. ❤️ 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Checking in...wondering how your sweet kitty is doing? 

So much better, thank you! No episodes of vomiting or diarrhea in the last few days. I'm afraid to stop the anti-nausea medication, though. I know I need to now that it's stopped but I'm so afraid of what will happen if I do. If I wasn't already only giving her a quarter of a pill, I'd try a half a dose to see how things went but it isn't possible to break the pill any smaller.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

So much better, thank you! No episodes of vomiting or diarrhea in the last few days. I'm afraid to stop the anti-nausea medication, though. I know I need to now that it's stopped but I'm so afraid of what will happen if I do. If I wasn't already only giving her a quarter of a pill, I'd try a half a dose to see how things went but it isn't possible to break the pill any smaller.

I--for one--would be curious to hear how things go.

Do you intend to keep her on strictly "wet" food? 

Bill

33 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I--for one--would be curious to hear how things go.

Do you intend to keep her on strictly "wet" food? 

Bill

I think so. I found her some Wellness Core Digestive Health pate that she really loves. So, I've started her a subscription of that from Chewy. She's weird and won't eat the chunks out of wet food so the pate is perfect, especially this one since it's a little more watery than other pates we've found. She likes to lick her soft food. I'll probably keep the probiotics in both feedings too. I just wish I could find a hairball supplement she will take. If I put it in her food, she eats around it. If I use the kind you put on their paw or nose, she'll spread it all over the house rather than lick it. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 5

I think so. I found her some Wellness Core Digestive Health pate that she really loves. So, I've started her a subscription of that from Chewy. She's weird and won't eat the chunks out of wet food so the pate is perfect, especially this one since it's a little more watery than other pates we've found. She likes to lick her soft food. I'll probably keep the probiotics in both feedings too. I just wish I could find a hairball supplement she will take. If I put it in her food, she eats around it. If I use the kind you put on their paw or nose, she'll spread it all over the house rather than lick it. 🤦‍♀️

Sounds good. I hope that does the trick.

Everything I've been reading about feline nutrition and their health issues comports with the advice of @KSera above.

From what I understand, dry food is tough on cat's urinary and kidney functions and causes gas, so hopefully this dietary change gets at the root cause.

Please update when appropriate. But this sounds positive.

Bill

• Like 1

The diarrhea has started again. Thursday night, she used the box and it smelled worse than a normal bm so I went ahead and scooped it so I could check it. It was not quite formed. Then last night, the same thing happened so I scooped right away again and this time it was definitely diarrhea but she was acting normally so I went ahead and went to sleep. During the night though, she had a few more loose bowel movements in her box and then one outside the box. I don't know what to do. She's eating fine. Seems to be acting normally. Ugh. 

• Sad 6

16 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

The diarrhea has started again. Thursday night, she used the box and it smelled worse than a normal bm so I went ahead and scooped it so I could check it. It was not quite formed. Then last night, the same thing happened so I scooped right away again and this time it was definitely diarrhea but she was acting normally so I went ahead and went to sleep. During the night though, she had a few more loose bowel movements in her box and then one outside the box. I don't know what to do. She's eating fine. Seems to be acting normally. Ugh. 

I'm so sorry. 😞 I sure hope y'all figure out what her problems are.

• Like 1

It could be IBS. Our cat that had it ate fine and maintained weight fine, but was very prone to diarrhea. For some reason, what worked for her as well as a couple other IBS cats at the rescue I volunteered with at the time was the Fresh Pet Select refrigerated cat food. It is a semi-moist food it looks like small balls of meat. With urinary issues I would be inclined to add just a tad more water to it. I just was fine on that food but really touchy about other ones. I still don’t know what it is about that one that seems to be good for cats with IBS, especially since it has a couple things in it that really aren’t species appropriate (spinach and carrots) 🤷‍♀️.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Aww, that's so upsetting. I noticed that the dry food you've been giving her is not grain free, but the wet food is. I suggest switching to fully grain-free. Corn and rice can be really hard on cats' guts. Although... plenty of cats obviously do fine with it, so who knows, but it's something to try!

How old is she? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Aww, that's so upsetting. I noticed that the dry food you've been giving her is not grain free, but the wet food is. I suggest switching to fully grain-free. Corn and rice can be really hard on cats' guts. Although... plenty of cats obviously do fine with it, so who knows, but it's something to try!

How old is she? 

We think she's 7 or 8. She just showed up at our house one day and never left. 

27 minutes ago, KSera said:

It could be IBS. Our cat that had it ate fine and maintained weight fine, but was very prone to diarrhea. For some reason, what worked for her as well as a couple other IBS cats at the rescue I volunteered with at the time was the Fresh Pet Select refrigerated cat food. It is a semi-moist food it looks like small balls of meat. With urinary issues I would be inclined to add just a tad more water to it. I just was fine on that food but really touchy about other ones. I still don’t know what it is about that one that seems to be good for cats with IBS, especially since it has a couple things in it that really aren’t species appropriate (spinach and carrots) 🤷‍♀️.

IBS is probably the most likely diagnosis, I think. I'll look for that food. I have stopped giving her all but a small token of dry food and I'm only giving her that because it has hairball control in it. She doesn't like treats so I was sort of treating this as a treat for taking her medicine. Following the taking of her medicine, she'll drool and foam, but if I give her a small amount of dry food her brain will snap right out of the stress of medication and straight into the joy of food. Her favorite thing in the world is to be petted while eating so I'll see if that works for Fresh Pet Select. She doesn't like chunky soft food but maybe she'll look at it as hard food, instead. 

• Like 1

Hey Stephanie, would you consider doing a balanced raw diet?

Many cats get IDS or IDB (including hairballs and vomiting) that is linked to diet and the anecdotal reports of recovery by eliminating carbohydrates (and all plant based food) in favor of an all meat/organ/calcium source diet are pretty compelling.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Hey Stephanie, would you consider doing a balanced raw diet?

Many cats get IDS or IDB (including hairballs and vomiting) that is linked to diet and the anecdotal reports of recovery by eliminating carbohydrates (and all plant based food) in favor of an all meat/organ/calcium source diet are pretty compelling.

Bill

I would do just about anything for her to be well and I've thought about doing this. The only reason I haven't so far is because whenever we have offered her raw food in the past she wouldn't try it. That, however, was raw food that I was preparing for human meals so bits of chicken breast aren't something she'll eat but maybe something else will be more enticing. She won't eat the solid bits in soft food but she will eat hard food so I really don't know where her line is with what she will and won't eat. Crazy cat.

The last two nights have been diarrhea free, thankfully. She was doing this weird cough/choking sound last night after getting her medicine so I'm hoping her pill didn't go down the wrong way. No coughing today, though. I wish there was an easy way to give her pills.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I would do just about anything for her to be well and I've thought about doing this. The only reason I haven't so far is because whenever we have offered her raw food in the past she wouldn't try it. That, however, was raw food that I was preparing for human meals so bits of chicken breast aren't something she'll eat but maybe something else will be more enticing. She won't eat the solid bits in soft food but she will eat hard food so I really don't know where her line is with what she will and won't eat. Crazy cat.

The last two nights have been diarrhea free, thankfully. She was doing this weird cough/choking sound last night after getting her medicine so I'm hoping her pill didn't go down the wrong way. No coughing today, though. I wish there was an easy way to give her pills.

I'm fortunate that Desmond loves fresh food. The day we brought him home I made a big platter that had raw chicken, raw pork, cooked chicken, cooked pork, and a helping of the regular canned food he'd been getting at the foster home. He ate them in that order. 

As I've said, I'm very new to cats. I have fed our Vizsla (dog) a Prey Model Raw (PMR) diet for the past 8 years and am convinced by his condition that that was a solid move.

Cats--even more than dogs--are obligate carnivores, so doing a similar diet was an easy decision (especially when I could see it matched his preferences). 

I've been looking around and reading up on cats and IBD/IBS. It seem to be very common in cats and kibble/carbs seem like the leading culprit. As I'm reading I'm seeing many of the people who have moved to a PMR style diet have done so precisely because a beloved cat developed IBD/IBS and nothing else worked. No first hand experience dealing with this, but the anecdotal reports are encouraging.

There is a private Facebook group on the topic: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RawFedIBD/  I am not a member of this group. Sometimes such groups can be extreme, so I don't know.

The two mildly tricky parts of raw feeding cats (in addition to finding foods they like--which is not an issue here) are feeding taurine rich ingredients and/or supplementing taurine in addition to feeding a calcium source. I feed soft edible bone, but figuring out bone percentages (plus prepping) could stress someone new to this. Also, I've read edible bone might be best avoided until a cat with an irritated gastric system heals.

So there is a highly regarded product (one I have never used personally) that provides both calcium and taurine supplementation, so one just ads meat and organs (avoid "recipes" with plants)called "Alnutrin." `https://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/alnutrin_with_calcium.html They will evidently send one a free sample. Not an especially expensive product in any case.  Many people seem to use it. Makes making meals less stressful. And their taurine claims to be from Japan (most is from China).

I do try to feed taurine rich foods. Cats seem to naturally prefer them. Dark meat turkey is a great source, but white meat turkey is not. Chicken, while less taurine rich that turkey, is the same--with dark meat being far better than breast meat (the latter of which I'd avoid for that reason). Hearts, organs, beef tongue, and may types of seafood are rich in taurine.

If you are supplementing with taurine, you have more latitude, but I'd still aim for taurine rich items.

Dark meat chicken is always an easy to source and economical choice.

There are also commercial raw products (a little pricey) and I can't advise on those as I've never used any.

Comments I've been reading indicate that the symptoms have reversed very quickly, so a experiment might be something to consider. You much have to play around to get the right texture.

Let me know if you have questions. I hope you find something that works. 

Bill

• Like 1

Thank you so much, @Spy Car , for doing the research and taking the time to share with me. It means a lot! I've never tried anything like that before but I'm on board for whatever it takes to make my kitty well. In the last 5 years, we've lost 3 pets (2 to old age), and I can't even cope with the idea of losing this one. So yeah, it means a lot that someone took the time to write all that out. Thank you!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Thank you so much, @Spy Car , for doing the research and taking the time to share with me. It means a lot! I've never tried anything like that before but I'm on board for whatever it takes to make my kitty well. In the last 5 years, we've lost 3 pets (2 to old age), and I can't even cope with the idea of losing this one. So yeah, it means a lot that someone took the time to write all that out. Thank you!

I really love animals and I know how distressing it is when they are ill.

Everything I'm reading about cats suggest there are a number of illnesses (such as UTIs, kidney problems, and IBD/IDS) that are related to cats being fed foods that are not really species appropriate.

What I've learned about raw feeding a dog has transferred over very well to feeding our cat. There are some minor differences , for example cats do better on almost half the bone or calcium than dogs need and taurine is a major issue with cats. But otherwise very similar.

If you decide to try this, I'm willing to help you. 

Many cat owners I'm reading about on blogs and cat forums indicate that switching to a natural diet (one that suits an obligate carnivore) has solved their issues. I was hopeful that the greatly reduced carbohydrates in the canned food would do the trick. If it doesn't, I'd try to go all the way. It wouldn't hurt. 

Our little Desmond was in pretty bad shape when we got him in October. He'd been hit by a car. Busted up his femur. Had surgery (that was paid for my a rescue organization) to fix the bone and had to wear one of those external skeletons to hold it all together. He was placed in a very loving foster home and was very sweet, but he was totally deconditioned and had significant atrophy of his hindquarters when we adopted him. He was kind of limp-y and was not strong. We accepted that he might always have physical challenges. 

Seven months later and he's strong. Far stronger than I expected in this amount of time. And I had very high expectations going in. He's glossy, alert, he has no smell, his poops are tiny and they have no smell, and he is solid. For an indoor cat, especially one that was so weak, he is pretty strong. And no fat.

Even if a cat had no health issues, it is a wonderful thing.

But with these IBD/IDS issue, that are notorious and common--seem also to have a clear root cause. I would try this. I will help you if you need someone to help guide you or to bounce ideas off.

I tend to be of the "non-extremist" variety of raw feeders. For example, if it took giving, say chicken, a little bit of a sear on the outside to entice a cat (or dog) into eating raw chicken, I'd do it. For sure. I'd cook the food (as little as possible) if that was the only way.

Parenthetical note, if food if cooked or heated with water, save the "stock" or any of the (not) blood that comes out of meat, as taurine is soluble and you don't want to lose that. Gold.

Do you have so-called "ethnic" supermarkets in your area?

Are you cool with portioning out cuts of various meats and organs and freezing them? Chopping them again (frozen or thawed)? Some people really don't like this sort of thing.

DIY is the inexpensive way to do this, but their are prepared commercial "raw" alternatives that convenient, gore-free, and dear. I've never used a commercial raw.

In your position, I'd try this. Or some form a diet that 100% eliminates all plant materials, at least until the cat is fully restored.

I'm seeing that his is a very healable condition--and one that is not rare--and there is a fix. You feed them a similar diet as what you'd feed a lion (only downscaled). It makes sense. 

Bill

• Like 1