Menu

I wonder if I made a mistake with outsourcing?

I try to limit outsourcing subjects to things I cannot or do not want to do at home. I was frustrated with myself and filled with regret when years ago, I allowed myself to be pressured in to sending my older children to an outsourced class thing. And the subjects being offered were ones I had actually wanted to do at home-Earth Science and American History. 

Now, stupidly, I signed my younger children up for some classes. My daughter kept asking to take art classes. But, where I found the art classes (not close to home), they had an IEW writing class and I know some people who have their kids in it and they are pleased. Since the classes are back to back, I went ahead and signed my children up for both. Middle son will take Latin instead of art, which he asked to take.  Now I am having second thoughts. I could easily do the writing online and for art, I could continue with the art materials we already have. Anyone have opinions or advice?

Edited by Janeway

Depending on their ages, group classes for these subjects could be a good experience.  IEW does benefit from brainstorming as a group.  Latin gives a chance to play games and hold conversation.

I think you should make a list of pros and cons of each situation.  For me, it's worth it to outsource things I don't enjoy teaching so that my kid gets the benefit of someone else's passion about it.  I love when I can match that up for a kid and have it be a good experience. 

• Like 1

My dd does art and, while she does a lot at home, and I can even teach her, she appreciates the outside class at co-op. I've also seen that outside writing classes tend to up my dc's game bc their writing will be looked at by another teacher and shared with other students.  So, we don't always do these classes with other children, but I've never ever regretted doing it.  Also, my children liked being in group classes some of the time (they don't want to go to full time school, but enjoy our co-op days.)

• Like 1

I agree with Homeagain and Freesia.  I have most certainly started outsourcing a lot younger than I thought I would. 

As long as my kids get what they need from the class, it's not a regret.  It also means I'm helping myself to not get burnt out. 

My wallet is not happy with me though.  😂

I have let my kids talk me into doing some classes that I was excited to do on my own and that I would have done differently.  But in the end, they liked them.  They had good experiences, and as long as I was working on it with them at home, they still were successful in these once a week classes.  One thing I do though is I volunteer to teach co-op classes of things I really want to do, so that they get done the way I want them done and so that I assign the homework, but my kids are happy and do better because they have a class of kids doing the same subject and studying and working with them.  Latin is one class I always did in co-op.  My children definitely got more out of than just doing at home with me, because they had friends in class to play games with, do plays with, study with, etc. over the years.  And for art, we did as many outside classes as were available and affordable to us and still did what I wanted to at home because my artsy dd always got something from somebody else.  I know she loved getting other project ideas and tips from various teachers over the years. And we still do lots of art at home too. Anyway, we have had good experiences in co-ops over the years. 

• Like 1

Taking a group class isn't just about the subject matter.  In fact, I'd argue that it is MOSTLY about the other stuff.  Since the other stuff is important, particularly in a society where the overwhelming majority have extensive experience with it, I'd keep them enrolled.

• Like 3

On 4/1/2022 at 2:18 PM, Janeway said:

I try to limit outsourcing subjects to things I cannot or do not want to do at home. I was frustrated with myself and filled with regret when years ago, I allowed myself to be pressured in to sending my older children to an outsourced class thing. And the subjects being offered were ones I had actually wanted to do at home-Earth Science and American History. 

Now, stupidly, I signed my younger children up for some classes. My daughter kept asking to take art classes. But, where I found the art classes (not close to home), they had an IEW writing class and I know some people who have their kids in it and they are pleased. Since the classes are back to back, I went ahead and signed my children up for both. Middle son will take Latin instead of art, which he asked to take.  Now I am having second thoughts. I could easily do the writing online and for art, I could continue with the art materials we already have. Anyone have opinions or advice?

How long and how frequent are the classes? How long does it keep you out of the house? What will you do while the dc are in class? Those are questions I would ask myself.

10 hours ago, Ellie said:

How long and how frequent are the classes? How long does it keep you out of the house? What will you do while the dc are in class? Those are questions I would ask myself.

It is just two hours once a week, so I could not really do anything during that time. I feel really stupid for enrolling them. It is going to cost me about $350 a month for the three kids and if I withdraw them, I still lose the registration and materials fee, which was about $300.

Edited by Janeway

I teach hybrid classes and can say that the kids really enjoy being with their peers. They make friends, learn presentation skills, how to follow someone else's directions, how to adhere to deadlines... 

If you can afford it, I would stay in the classes. 

• Like 1

I guess I'm not understanding why you feel really stupid for enrolling them.  Your kids asked to take a class (art or Latin) so you found a place where they can do that, and also decided to let them try an English class that has worked for other kids.  It's fine to change your mind, but there's nothing crazy about doing that.  People have different preferences around outsourced/co-op classes and whether they use them at all, or just take fun things, or just take things that the family can't do themselves.  It's fine to change your mind, but it's also fine to take 2 outsourced classes.  I've used our co-op differently for my 2 kids because they are different and have different needs and interests.  

And, I've found that 2 hours is not a bad amount of time to wait.  I can fit in a grocery trip, or do a stack of reading/grading, or respond to phone calls/texts/emails.  I've spent a lot of time waiting for kids over the years and have developed good routines around different places - one practice was a 'Sams club + gas' run, another was my Trader Joes trip, etc.  Not every activity happens all the time, and sometimes I just go for a walk or read, but I have a list of potential errands that I run depending on where I'm waiting.  

• Like 2