Menu

4th Grade Planning 2022-2023

My third son, Spencer, will be in 4th grade next year.
The tentative plan:

Math: Pre-algebra - Finish Math Mammoth 6, Hands on Equations Word Problem Book and Zaccaro's Becoming a Problem Solving Genius (assuming he does not finish them this year). Start Math Mammoth 7 (only the interesting parts) + Zaccaro's Real World Algebra

Language Arts: Lantern English writing and literature classes. Plus lots of reading from a broad literature list. All About Spelling Levels 6 (continued from this year) and 7. MCT grammar, vocabulary and poetry. Typing.

History: Listen to Joy Hakim's A History of US (the concise version).

Science: Listen to Mr. Q Chemistry

Spanish: homegrown comprehensible input Spanish, probably including an immersion class. Little explicit grammar or written output, but speaking, understanding and reading at a strong Spanish 2 level.

Memorization: Anki, so many Anki cards!!

Art: Comic book drawing class

Music: Piano, Piano, and more Piano. Three lessons a week + ~20 hours of (voluntary) practice.

PE: Outdoor Nature exploration and skills class

Extras: Fun flex-time classes...this year they are Liberty Kids, Learning with Legos and Michigan Woods and Wildlife. No clue what will be offered next year.

• Like 3

Math - TT 4 (just the book, me teaching)

English - LLATL The Orange Book

Spelling - R&S Spelling 4

Writing - written narration and keeping science and history notebooks

Science - homemade nature study paired with lessons from God's Design science

History - finish SOTW 3 and read My First History of Canada, keep a history notebook

Geography - Canada Map Book 2

Plus Scripture memory, hymn singing, art projects and piano lessons.

Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 2

Math - Saxon Math 6/5 & 7/6
Grammar - First Language Lessons 4
Writing - Writing With Ease 3
Spelling - Spelling Workout G & H
Vocabulary - Wordly Wise Book 1, 2 and possibly 3
Latin - Latina Christiana I with Roots of English; Ludere Latine; Latin Cursive Copybook
Greek - Memoria Press' Greek Alphabet
Science - Christian Kids Explore Physics
History - Story of the World

DS9 wants more vocabulary and to start Greek, so we are adding those in as they will not take a lot of time.  I'm going to give Story of the World another try with him, I may use book 2 or 3.  He also does the WTM reading book list and Bible daily with BSGFAA.  We do Home Art Studio once a week, along with some extras he is interested in like archery, chess, woodworking and architecture.

52 minutes ago, Classically Minded said:

I've never heard of Anki so I looked it up and seems like a flashcard program.  We currently use a free version of Quizlet but is Anki any different?

Anki is free as well...or at least it can be - the iOS app is very pricy, but the android app, the desktop program and the web app are free.

The biggest advantage to Anki is that is spaced repetition. When I add a new card to one of the kids' Anki decks, it will show up as many time as necessary the first session until they know it. Then it will show up the next session as well, but if they still remember it, then it won't show up for a few days. And if they remember it then, it won't show up for a week (or whatever other time frame the algorithm gauges to be optimal). It keeps getting spaced farther and farther as long as they keep remembering the information, but as soon as they forget it, they start reviewing it more often.

This means that my kids have several thousand cards that they are reviewing, but the oldest ones that they know the best might only show up once every 6+ months. The goals is that just as the brain is about to prune a piece of information, it come up in rotation and gets strengthened even further.

Anki is also very, very, very flexible...perhaps to a fault. This means it has a very steep learning curve, but you can do just about anything with it you can imagine. It is open source, so people are constantly making add-ons for it allowing even more options. There are lots of different kinds of cards, and lots of different ways you can set it up to automatically use the various cards. So, I can make one card with a Spanish word, its English translation, a picture of the item, the audio of someone saying the Spanish word, an example sentence using the word, etc. Then I can have it show the Spanish word and request the English, AND show the English and request the Spanish and have it play the audio when it displays the answer, AND show the picture and request the Spanish and have it display the example sentence with the answer, AND have it show the picture and request the student type in the Spanish and it will check their spelling in the answer. So right there, I can generate four cards just from entering the pieces of information once.

My kids' Anki decks cover geography (locations of states, countries, famous landmarks; state abbreviations; capitals of states and countries), facts about great works of art, kitchen safety, musical notation, personal information (address, phone number, grandparents' full names, etc), poems, quotes, speeches, science (names of bones, classification of living things, eons of geological time), the presidents in order, Spanish vocab, spelling and grammar rules, literary elements, math basics (prime #'s up to 100, fraction and decimal equivalents, divisibility rules, geometry definitions, area and volume formulas, measurement conversions), how to identify poison ivy, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Twin boys 

Reading: Their choice

Math: CTC Math

Science: Bookshark Science E

Spelling: All About Spelling Level 5

Writing: BraveWriter Partnership & NightZookeeper

Typing: Typingclub

Extras: Coding, making YouTube Vids, STEAM projects, Art, Nature Study

If we can get my youngest vaxxed 1 will do archery and the other karate. 

Edited by alysee
  • Like 1

Last 4th grader in my home!

Math - continue pilot testing Math With Confidence grade 4

Grammar & Literature- Lightning Literature 4

Spelling- All About Spelling 3 & 4

Writing- Writing with Ease 3

Science- Mystery Science 

History- SOTW Early Modern Times 

Art projects from Let's Make Art 

• Like 1

Updated to include summer plans & tweak those for fall.

SUMMER

Language Arts: Chasing Vermeer

Math: Didax Pentominoes

Art: Meet the Masters (Middle Ages Artists)

Elective: Robotics camp, Art camp, Game camp, Swim lessons

FALL

Language Arts: CAP W&R Narrative II, NaNoWriMo, AAS 5-6, MCT Caesar’s English I. Literature & reading have always been self-directed; not sure if I’ll begin assigning books this year or not. 

Math: Beast Academy 5B/5C/5D

History: HO Early Modern + nonfiction paragraph compositions

Science: RSO Physics + nonfiction paragraph compositions 

Electives: Soccer, tennis, swim lessons, Scouts, ice skating. Possibly an Athena’s class each semester. If he reaches proficiency in swimming he can choose between studio art classes, a foreign language, or instrument lessons - however I suspect that won’t happen until 5th.

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
  • Like 2

My 2nd son will be in 4th (ish) next year:

Bible: ETA: I think we know what we're doing. I'll read a children's Bible to the young ones and dh will read a section of the Bible and discuss with the two oldest. I think that's a good solution for us. Original post: [? I've tried several things. I might go back to just reading through the Bible. Curriculums leave so much out and just do the major stories-that is frustrating to me. I'd love something that walks through the more obscure books (like Psalms) or does more than a one lesson look at the book of Job (it's a big book!). I wish there was something that would help give me questions to ask about/help explain a Bible reading. I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions. Things we've tried: BSGfAA, BJU, God's Great Covenant.]

History: SOTW 2, plus add on something else (DS 6th grade needs something else since he's read SOTW on his own a few times...)

Science: continue Berean Builders (we'll be about half way through Age of Reason at the end of this year)

Math: R&S, Xtra math, logic books, he's ahead in R&S so I'll probably take frequent breaks to get the arithmetic further memorized (play games, etc), maybe add in some coding if he's interested

Reading: I'm just putting my own list together partly based on literature lists I've found online.

Writing: continue with Writing Strands. 

Spelling: continue Dictation Day by Day

Grammar: some Plain and Not so Plain, some Maxwell's Elementary Grammar, some of my own stuff

Piano: continue (we're using Alfred books)

Greek: we're just memorizing words once a week

Latin: continue Latin's Not so Tough

Art: I'm hoping to teach art classes again next and do a daily drawing loosely based on New Augsburg

ETA: geography: seterra.com M-Th and Geography Now! (On YouTube) on Fridays

Edited by LauraClark
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LauraClark said:

Bible: ? I've tried several things. I might go back to just reading through the Bible. Curriculums leave so much out and just do the major stories-that is frustrating to me. I'd love something that walks through the more obscure books (like Psalms) or does more than a one lesson look at the book of Job (it's a big book!). I wish there was something that would help give me questions to ask about/help explain a Bible reading. I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions. Things we've tried: BSGfAA, BJU, God's Great Covenant.

We did Memoria Press' Christian Studies all four levels with my DD and she loved it.  We used the Golden Children's Bible with the first book but after that she read from the stories from the KJV on her own.  Not sure if that is something you would be looking for but they have samples on their site you can look through.

I'm enjoying BSGFAA with my DS right now, we are in the second group of lessons and plan on doing all 412 lessons, I think it is.  We read from the KJV for each lesson and do the wall maps and timeline and Bible book cards, takes about 30 minutes.  He is going to do MP's Christian Studies after we finish BSG4AA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Classically Minded said:

Do you use the original or the new version?  How are you liking it?

Original. So far it's been good! I like that there is usually some flexibility with writing assignments as far as subject matter. They learn the concept and then get to apply it in multiple ways. Even if WS does give more strict subject guidelines on a particular assignment I think it's easy to change that assignment in a way that is more interesting to my kids. 

Thanks for the Bible suggestions (and @Lovinglife123). I'll look into them!

• Thanks 1

Science: Earth and Life Sciences (home made)
Writing: Reasoning and Writing as well as writing across the curriculum
History: US History and Civics (home made)
Drawing: Drawing across the curriculum
French: 500+ Sentences with a tutor, The ULAT and reading picture books with fluency.
Sports: Golf, Soccer and Tennis

Edited by mathmarm
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 12:13 PM, Classically Minded said:

We did Memoria Press' Christian Studies all four levels with my DD and she loved it.  We used the Golden Children's Bible with the first book but after that she read from the stories from the KJV on her own.  Not sure if that is something you would be looking for but they have samples on their site you can look through.

I'm enjoying BSGFAA with my DS right now, we are in the second group of lessons and plan on doing all 412 lessons, I think it is.  We read from the KJV for each lesson and do the wall maps and timeline and Bible book cards, takes about 30 minutes.  He is going to do MP's Christian Studies after we finish BSG4AA.

I am using MP's Christian Studies I for my 3rd and 4th graders this year.  I have had some mixed feelings about MP, but this is one of the courses I definitely like for my children.  My 3rd grader struggles a bit more since he is not neurotypical, but I think it has been great for them.  We are non-churchgoing Christians (at least for the time being). 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 5:41 AM, LauraClark said:

My 2nd son will be in 4th (ish) next year:

Bible: ? I've tried several things. I might go back to just reading through the Bible. Curriculums leave so much out and just do the major stories-that is frustrating to me. I'd love something that walks through the more obscure books (like Psalms) or does more than a one lesson look at the book of Job (it's a big book!). I wish there was something that would help give me questions to ask about/help explain a Bible reading. I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions. Things we've tried: BSGfAA, BJU, God's Great Covenant.

Have you looked at Explorer's Bible Study? We're currently doing Words of Wisdom, which is going through Job, Psalms, & Proverbs. Eight weeks (daily lessons and a review day) are spent on Job (we're going through it now).

• Like 1

Oh man, I'm not ready! lol

Math: BJU 4 (considering videos because I am running out of time to do all the things)

Reading: from mensa book list, mp list and others

Grammar: FLL 3

Writing: WWE 3

Typing: typing.com

Science: Apologia Flying Creatures & Anatomy

History: VP self paced Modern

Geography: continue learning about the 50 states

Bible: IDk

P.E. : 1000 hours outside challenge 😀

Am I forgetting anything?

ETA

Spelling - Spelling Power (although it keeps getting skipped this year 😮)

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 2

History: SOTW4

Science: ?

Grammar: FLL4

Writing: undecided still

Geography: Understanding Geography 4

Art: drawing + alcohol markers as a medium, mostly

Math: Singapore math + CLE

I'm still very much muddling through things trying to figure out what suits Youngest best.  Moving Beyond the Page has been more of a miss than a hit this year, and elementary secular science options after doing Mystery Science are kind of bleak.  Mystery Science has been perfect, but we've hit all of their published content. Of all things, I've been looking the Max Axiom series

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Changing a few things:

Math - Finish Saxon Math 6/5 & start part of 7/6
Grammar - First Language Lessons 4
*Writing - Writing With Ease 3; Writing Strands; Writing and Rhetoric
Spelling - Spelling Workout G & H
Vocabulary - Wordly Wise Book 1 and 2
Latin - Latina Christiana I with Roots of English; Ludere Latine; Latin Cursive Copybook
Greek - Memoria Press' Greek Alphabet
Science - Christian Kids Explore Physics
*History - All American History Volume 1

Other: Piano, Home Art Studio, chess, archery, woodworking

*I decided on history finally, we're doing AAH 1 and possibly leftover from world history overview we are starting here soon (Usborne's A Short History of the World) if I can't finish it all before summer.  I'm using the student activity book for AAH and adding in some things we own.

*With writing, we are using WWE 3 just for the stories and narration practice but also may do some of the dictation.  I started Writing Strands 3 (original) with him recently and it is exactly what I was looking for, so I bought every level and the teaching help books.  Thankfully, I found them on Amazon and eBay.  Then, we are also mixing in Writing and Rhetoric - we have the Fable one and we'll see if we get through that before summer and then go on to the Narrative book by fall.

All tentative, as usual 🙂

Math: BA 4/5 (he's about 1/3 of the way through 4 now, so probably won't finish until sometime in the fall), problem solving class at HS co-op

Grammar/writing: WWE and FLL 4

History: History Quest Ancients (we're finishing up SOTW using Build Your Library now...we've got time to get through  HQ's whole rotation before high school, so we're going to give that a try)

Reading: I think I'll pull together world mythology inspired stuff to coordinate with HO, and then maybe some Arrow, maybe some stuff from BYL and Torchlight booklists

Science: thinking of trying Science Mom? or Pandia Press physics maybe

Other: piano lessons, baseball, something else at homeschool co-op, possibly starting homeschool band, I need to find something fun for logic

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 2

Tentative plans, subject to change after homeschool convention, lol...

Math- Simply Good and Beautiful Math 5

LA- Still tossing around WOL, JAG or Shurley, and probably W&R, HWT Cursive, going to try Sequential Spelling Online

History- Biblioplan Modern with lots of supplements (She loves history and read-alouds)

Science- RSO Chemistry per her request

Spanish for Children 

Piano- private lessons

Ballet and Jazz dance

Art- not sure yet

• Like 1

FAMILY
Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, Training Hearts; Teaching Minds
History: Our 50 States
Science: Apologia Earth Science and Botany Science In The Beginning
Arts: Artistic Pursuits ES-B2

DD9
Math: Beast Academy Online, XtraMath
LA: IEW, RLTL
FL: Hey Andrew 4, Spanish For Children A, Japanese From Zero
Bible: One Year Bible
Arts: Piano, Violin

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reading & Language: Logic of Essentials 

Literature: Moving Beyond the Page

Writing: Essentials in Writing Level 4 

Math: Math-U-See Delta 

I am still looking at different Science and Social Studies. 

Extras: Spanish & French. 

• Like 1

My third girl will be 9 in June and a 4th grader come August.  What the heck?!  Do kids grow faster as their mothers get older?  The time just flies anymore.  So far, this is her list.  We lean heavily on CM methodology and love it.

Arithmetic: Continue test pilot of Math with Confidence, grade 4

Elocution: Treadwell and Cardinal Readers, then reading aloud from one of two all-together books (Shakespeare retellings and American history stories)

Spelling: Finish Traditional Spelling III, continue with Spelling Wisdom, possibly start Spellwell after TS is done

Grammar & Composition: Primary Language Lessons, Primer Two from Cottage Press, Using Language Well, copywork, oral and written narrations

Literature (read all together, just us and her 6th grade sister, or independently): Oliver Twist, Famous Men of Greece, The Wind in the Willows, Plutarch with Anne White guides, Shakespeare study of my own making, In the Time of Alfred the Great, Undine, Tanglewood Tales

Nature Lore: have to figure this one out still

Science: Home Science Kits; Rain, Sleet, Hail, and Snow (sabbathmood), nature journal, podcasts, The Story of Salt

Geography: The Book Of Marvels, Minn of the Mississippi, Tree in the Trail, Eat Your Way Around the World (with sisters), mapdrill with Draw the      USA,  concepts, possibly a workbook

US and World History: Johnny Tremain, The Matchlock Gun, Story of the World (vlm 2 and start 3), MP Timeline Program, Middle Ages in Pictures, picture books, Famous Men of the Middle Ages, The Story of Civilization vlm 2

Plus Picture Study, Composer Study, art/music lessons if we can manage them, handiwork, memory work, lots of saint stories/biographies during Morning Time, and our much beloved weekly Poetry Tea Time

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 9:59 PM, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

SUMMER

Language Arts: Chasing Vermeer

Math: Didax Pentominoes

Art: Meet the Masters (Middle Ages Artists)

Elective: Robotics camp, Art camp, Game camp, Swim lessons

FALL

Language Arts: CAP W&R Narrative II, NaNoWriMo, AAS 5-6, MCT Caesar’s English I. Literature & reading have always been self-directed; not sure if I’ll begin assigning books this year or not. 

Math: Beast Academy 5B/5C/5D

History: HO Early Modern + nonfiction paragraph compositions

Science: RSO Physics + nonfiction paragraph compositions 

Electives: Soccer, tennis, swim lessons, Scouts, ice skating. Possibly an Athena’s class each semester. If he reaches proficiency in swimming he can choose between studio art classes, a foreign language, or instrument lessons - however I suspect that won’t happen until 5th.

Summer session didn’t happen. DS attended his day camps, continued swim lessons, began violin lessons, & played in a last-minute indoor soccer season. We were plenty busy without adding in lessons! 

FALL

Language Arts: Paragraph writing across the curriculum. MCT CE I. AAS 6. NaNoWriMo. History-based literature. Mix of history-based assigned & free choice reading. 

Math: BA 5B/5C

History: HO Early Modern

Science: RSO Physics

Electives: Scouts, soccer, tennis, ice skating, violin, studio art class, social co-op activities

SPRING

Language Arts: Paragraph writing across the curriculum. MCT CE I. AAS 7. History-based literature. Mix of history-based assigned & free choice reading.

Math: BA 5D, Didax Pentominoes

History: HO Early Modern

Science: RSO Physics

Electives: Scouts, soccer, tennis, ice skating, violin, studio art class, social co-op activities

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
  • Like 1

It’s been a while since I was here, but I found the thread and 4th grade is what I’m working on. This is my 3rd & final 4th grader 🥰🥺. Like others, this isn’t finalized. 

Math: Beast Academy online, Argoprep Math! grade 4 for portfolio. 

English: Brave Writer Arrow online book club, at least for Aug, Sept, & Oct. We’ll reassess afterwards. Probably MCT, either Island or Town level. Cursive. 

Spanish: classes through My Spanish Journey, Duolingo, reading, maybe volunteering at a local food pantry that works with a fair-sized Spanish speaking population. 

History: We’re doing SOTW2 now, so we’ll continue doing Middle Ages things this year. We also will be doing California history; I’m eyeballing the Beautiful Feet curriculum but I’m not sold yet. 

Science: Nature study, geology, etc., to go along with our California studies. Clearly this area needs work. I also need to find a workbook that we can use to turn in pages for the portfolio. 

Klingon: Yeah, the kid has requested to learn Klingon. 🖖🏻 I’m making worksheets to practice the writing, and we’ll be using Duolingo. Qapla!

PE: No idea. Maybe we’ll convince dh to teach Aikido sword forms, or maybe we’ll hike more regularly (and do science while we’re at it). 

I’m also hoping we’ll do more art this year. My ADHD has been strong of late, unfortunately, which makes everything hard to actually accomplish unless there’s an outside check (that’s why I signed up for the Arrow book club). 

Thanks!

Anabel

• Like 2

Bible Study: Boyhood and Beyond, CM style scripture memory

Math: CLE 4

English: LLATL Orange, Wordsmith Apprentice, CLP Building Spelling Skills 4, MCT Town

Geography: I’m going to piece together something from MFW ECC, Evan Moor Daily Geography 4, and Visualize World Geography

Science: MFW ECC books, but I have SL Science D to fulfill his need for hands on science. He’s already completed the Scratch Coding 3.0 book and is playing with that almost daily, so it’s a win so far.

Spanish: ? Not sure. I bought La Clase Divertida 1 used and I have Fluenz if that doesn’t go over well.

Piano lessons, Home Art Studio, Hiking, Geocaching

All of this is tentative, of course. I may have to road school this fall, so I’m not sure I can manage this if that happens.

Edited by Mona
  • Like 1

Spelling:/Vocab: Evan Moor Building Spelling Skills 5 & A Word a Day grade 5/6 (we got half way through grade 5 last year)

Literature: Memoria Press Lit Units: Heidi, My Side of the Mountain, The Twenty One Balloons, Lassie Come Home, The Blue Fairy Book switched off        with some more contemporary Brave Writer selections (which are generally for fun and a change of pace between more rigorous study - I'm not a Brave Writer lifestyle fan but I do think she picks some decent books)

Grammar: FLL Level 4

Writing: The Creative Writer Level 1 (I decided to hold off on WWS for a year or two) plus SOTW Chapter Summary paragraphs

Latin: Latin for Children Primer A

Science: Science Mom Chemistry (finishing up from last year) and another Science Mom class of daughter's choosing (she really loves these and they are  good enough for elementary science for my taste!)

History: SOTW 3/4

Math: Beast Academy level 4 & Math Kangaroo prep

"Specials": (one day a week studies): Art, Logic, Music Appreciation, Economics, Coding

PE: Homeschool Gymnastics class plus two days of Competition Cheer practice

Music: flute

• Like 1