Menu

January Healthy Eating - Week 4

Soror

11 hours ago, importswim said:

Do you have a salmon patty recipe? I'm sorry if you already posted it, I didn't see it! I have salmon and I'd love to make a patty to go on top of a salad this week.

https://www.recipetineats.com/salmon-patties/

Here you go I think the taste is good and they are easy to make but rich for me---but I did have to sub the breadcrumbs for almond meal (no gf panko crumbs here).

• Thanks 2

Today- 

b- blueberries/homemade graonola/greek yogurt; 1/2 serving

afterworkout- frittata w/ veggies; banana oat pancake w/ smear of nf van greek yogurt

l: white bean salad w/ a pile of veggies; 1/2 serving (1.75 oz of fish)salmon patties; mandarin oranges

s: baked tostada w/ black beans+ veggies (if hungry)

d: need to check leftover situation; might do leftovers (tostada for me if I don't have it for a snack)+ salads? ; dessert- dates w/ pecans and/or prunes

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Just in case your doctor is testing for cholesterol,  be aware there can be a temporary cholesterol dump into the blood when you have been losing weight, so don't panic!

It's a full work up so I'm sure he will. Thank you so much for this warning!!!

• Like 2

Breakfast was microgreens and a muesli/bean bowl with cherries, walnuts, kiwi, apple, blueberries, blackberries, 3 seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch was the last of the couscous & chickpea chopped salad. I added roasted mushrooms, cucumber slices, and tempeh.

Snack was oranges, cucumber slices, and roasted carrots.

Dinner was cauliflower wings. Also had guacamole and homemade tortilla chips.

Dates and pecans for dessert again. 

• Like 3

Thursday- another day at last week’s low weight. 

Got nitric oxide supplement. I hated the taste of Superbeets even mixed with my nuun electrolyte tablet but this one I really liked. I will let you know if I start to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. 

Xena’s upper body strength training 

bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, thuac choy and a bit of chicken. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack / apple. Salt and vinegar pistachios which satisfied my craving for chips. 

dinner- No-mato chili. 
dark chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Day 2 without any chocolate at all! Miracles. Didn't even feel the desire for it.

before workout- greek yogurt- blueberries- granola

after workout-?? ate the last of the frittata and pancakes- might make some new (banana oat) pancakes and scramble some eggs? 

lunch- ran out of white bean salad think I'll make another lighter one and finish off my salmon patties- orange

snack: baked tostada- chicken/black beans- veggies- salsa verde

d- cauliflower pizza- with a side of veggies- I think - dates & pecans or prunes

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Day 2 without any chocolate at all! Miracles. Didn't even feel the desire for it.

before workout- greek yogurt- blueberries- granola

after workout-?? ate the last of the frittata and pancakes- might make some new (banana oat) pancakes and scramble some eggs? 

lunch- ran out of white bean salad think I'll make another lighter one and finish off my salmon patties- orange

snack: baked tostada- chicken/black beans- veggies- salsa verde

d- cauliflower pizza- with a side of veggies- I think - dates & pecans or prunes

If you start craving chocolate again, make sure that you are getting enough magnesium. 

• Like 2

Made these pancakes today- used rolled gf oats made into flour. Cut the sweetener to 2T honey per batch. I only used 1 cup of unsweet almond milk but really it should have been a bit less as they were a hair thin and I didn't want to process more oats. These were a little finicky to flip- must make sure they are really ready. I topped with a very thin drizzle of honey (less than a T)and made these into 4 servings.

• Like 1

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

If you start craving chocolate again, make sure that you are getting enough magnesium. 

Good point! I take a good form of magnesium every night and have for awhile to help aid with sleep and relaxation. I think my chocolate is just an addiction to it. I did however eat way too much over the holidays and I think burned myself out a bit (which is good as I really needed to back up).

• Like 1

I think I've perfected my recipe for creamy Instant Pot fat-free yoghurt. I'm happy to share if anyone is interested. It comes in at 10g of protein per cup, 14g of carbs and 100 calories. 

Friday

Lunch - spinach, mushroom, red lentil and quinoa soup. Yoghurt with a mandarin. 

Supper - lemony prawns with leeks and cannelini beans, plus roasted cauliflower.  Prunes, Chocologic. 

• Like 4

Friday:

bone broth 

tried some new lower body exercises  

lunch-  scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, thuac choy and a bit of chicken;  flaxseed muffin 

snack-  apple, salt and vinegar pistachios. 

dinner-  the gluten free chicken and vermicelli noodles that our favorite Vietnamese restaurant makes for me. 
green tea. 

• Like 4

Breakfast was broccoli sprouts and a muesli/bean bowl with blackberries, apple, blueberries, walnuts, 3 seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch was a huge salad (like mixing bowl size) with greens, tomatoes, roasted veggies (cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots), buffalo tempeh, and a little bit of chickpeas

Dinner was another salad, cauliflower wings, and two oranges.

Planning on having a bowl of popcorn after I get in my jammies.

• Like 3

Saturday:

Breakfast:  Dakos (Cretan salad of barley rusk, roasted tomatoes, feta cheese, Greek olive), mandarin

Lunch:  Roasted veggies over small bed of barley, all topped with lemon-tahini sauce, cabbage salad, one small gingersnap cookie

Dinner:  banana and small handful cashews

• Like 3

Breakfast was broccoli sprouts and a muesli/bean bowl with apple, walnuts, blueberries, blackberries, 3 seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch was a salad with baby spinach, beets, mushrooms, sweet potato, bell pepper, quinoa, black beans, buffalo tempeh.

Dinner will be salad, grilled veggie "shrimp" (made of konjac), and mushroom risotto "Right Rice" (made of lentil & chickpea flour).

I might make chickpea cookie dough with dark chocolate chips and walnuts for dessert.

• Like 1

Saturday :

bone broth 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, thuac choy and bacon ;  flaxseed muffin 

Took Juliet to the huge off leash dog park, followed by the (leashed) bird sanctuary and then topped off by the off leash park again.

snack-  apple and cheddar cheese slices . Dark chocolate 

dinner-  the second half of the  gluten free chicken and vermicelli noodles that our favorite Vietnamese restaurant makes for me. 

hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Sunday-

Lunch - miso soup with edamame, cauliflower, scallions and 40g leftover pork. Yoghurt and blueberries. 

Snack - beetroot, apple with quark.

Supper - chickpea coconut milk curry with courgette and bakchoi. Prunes and chocologic. 

My weight is down over a kilo since January 1st and I'm not hungry.

• Like 4

I'm going to be honest and say I didn't go a good job last week, except I still ate more vegetables than normal for me. 

I didn't journal my food well. I ate for longer periods of the day. I was busy and a little upset about a couple of things, and it definitely affected me. That's good to know, though. I gained 0.2 pounds, so at least it wasn't worse! 

It's a new week, so a new start, right? 

This week:

• journal everything! 
  • water 80 oz
  • fruits and veggies (aim for 5 and hopefully more a day) 
  • Like 5

Breakfast: Broccoli sprouts and a muesli/bean bowl with walnuts, apple, blueberries, blackberries, 3 seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch: Salad greens with roasted mushrooms, beets, sweet potato, red bell pepper, quinoa, black beans, buffalo tempeh, pumpkin seeds. Also 2 oranges.

Dinner will be salad, veggie loaf, and roasted broccoli.

• Like 2

Sunday-

Bone broth 

lunch-  a couple of peanut m&m’s in the car after church because I didn’t want to pass out while driving. (Couldn’t stop to test my sugars but was really lightheaded and shaky ). 1/2 of a steak salad with romaine, bell peppers, onions, shredded cheese, tomatoes and peppercorn ranch dressing. And two potato skins. 

snack-  apple with cream cheese 

dinner-  1/2 of a steak salad with romaine, bell peppers, onions, shredded cheese, tomatoes and peppercorn ranch dressing. And two potato skins. 

hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Sunday-

Lunch - miso soup with edamame, cauliflower, scallions and 40g leftover pork. Yoghurt and blueberries. 

Snack - beetroot, apple with quark.

Supper - chickpea coconut milk curry with courgette and bakchoi. Prunes and chocologic. 

My weight is down over a kilo since January 1st and I'm not hungry.

Woot! Not being hungry is the big thing.

14 hours ago, mom31257 said:

I'm going to be honest and say I didn't go a good job last week, except I still ate more vegetables than normal for me. 

I didn't journal my food well. I ate for longer periods of the day. I was busy and a little upset about a couple of things, and it definitely affected me. That's good to know, though. I gained 0.2 pounds, so at least it wasn't worse! 

It's a new week, so a new start, right? 

This week:

• journal everything! 
  • water 80 oz
  • fruits and veggies (aim for 5 and hopefully more a day) 

(hugs) it is a new week and every day is a new day and a new start. 

12 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Sunday-

Bone broth 

lunch-  a couple of peanut m&m’s in the car after church because I didn’t want to pass out while driving. (Couldn’t stop to test my sugars but was really lightheaded and shaky ). 1/2 of a steak salad with romaine, bell peppers, onions, shredded cheese, tomatoes and peppercorn ranch dressing. And two potato skins. 

snack-  apple with cream cheese 

dinner-  1/2 of a steak salad with romaine, bell peppers, onions, shredded cheese, tomatoes and peppercorn ranch dressing. And two potato skins. 

hard boiled eggs 

Sometimes you do what you got to do, much better than passing out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I've not done well posting but have kept to my goals- well except the chocolate goal.

Dd2 bought some chocolates Friday and after the repeated offers (they know I do love chocolate)- I had some Fri, Sat, and Sun. But I didn't have an obscene amount- helped that it wasn't mine to begin with. Now, it is gone.

But I kept to eating my fruit and veg goals. I also kept to my goal portions/meals.

I'm feeling in a good spot now. The beginning of the month was just focused on cutting out so much chocolate and increasing fruits and veggies. 2nd week was a bit of a train wreck with chocolate but I did keep the increased fruits and vegs, grains, beans, etc. 3rd and 4th week the focus has shifted to reducing my intake- I'd been eating too much- first due to wacky thyroid levels and inadequate sleep and then due to habit. I had to consciously put the focus back on hunger levels, how I felt after meals, and increasing the good foods that keep me fuller and feeling better. 

today's food:

before workout- plain nf greek yogurt, blueberries, granola (half servings of blueberry and granola)

after workout- oat pancakes w/ eggs or protein shake

lunch- leftover burger w/ homemade quinoa cabbage salad

snack- pumpkin superhero muffins

dinner- cajun chicken (family is having pasta- if I have any it will just be a bit); large plate of roasted zucchini; dessert of prunes or banana

• Like 3

I got through last week's deadlines and went out of town for the weekend and would say I did okay on diet stuff. I ate dark chocolate--I usually default to something SO dark that it's self-limiting. I have no desire to more than a square or two. I had sugar in my tea most days, and some candy twice during the week and then once while at my daughter's home. So not No-S, but still not excessive. Snacks included homemade popcorn and some chips shared with dh. Every step counts.

This week's goal is to stay on track. With no project deadline this week (and therefore more sleep under my belt), I think it will be easier to resist junk food. The more I cook wonderful food from scratch, the less junk I eat.

• Like 3

Monday-

Lunch - cauliflower and edamame beans with sliced pork and a poached egg. Yoghurt and blueberries.

Snack - cheese, apple, mandarin

Supper - husband cooked Chinese. Small portion of duck breast,  plus tofu, water chestnuts, mushrooms and snowpeas. Prunes. Chocologic. 

• Like 2

Monday- (I'm copying this format from Jean and Laura because it looks tidy🙂)

Breakfast - kale sprouts and a muesli/bean bowl with pistachios, walnuts, kiwi, apple, blueberries, blackberries, 3 seeds, walnut milk

Lunch - salad greens with several small bits of odds and ends - roasted beets, veggie loaf, buffalo tempeh - and two oranges

Dinner -  veggie scrambles with Just Egg (egg substitute made from mung beans), red onions, roasted mushrooms, broccoli, kale, red cabbage. Also having smoky bacon tempeh and Dave's Killer bagels.

• Like 3

I lost 3 pounds in January in spite of eating way too much take out while I was sick with COVID. I should clarify--I didn't overeat. I just didn't cook or eat particularly healthy stuff. 

Today I have had two meals so far:

brunch: 2 eggs scrambled

dinner: pot roast, salad, rice

I felt so much better today I went for a brisk 30 minute walk. Hoping I still feel this good tomorrow!

ETA: I actually lost closer to 4 lbs, but I’m not convinced of that last pound (((yet))). But dang if I cannot tell AT ALL by the way my clothes fit. If anything, my pants feel a bit snug this week. 😞 I asked my husband if he was sure the scale was working right and he said yes—it’s very consistent. And it’s pretty new, so… I need to take my measurements. I don’t want to obsess over it, but I do think both measures help track progress. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Have managed to keep just under the calorie counter every day this week. Have lost 6 kg since start of the year, only 3 more to go. 

But I have hurt my knee gardening.. It was a week ago and I thought I could push through. But it is now so sore that I can hardly walk. Ah well. 

Ice, elevate and ibuprofen! I know you know this. I hope you can rest it for a few days.

I'm sorry you are hurting.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2