Menu

S/o book settings for kids: winter

Elizabeth86

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

The book setting post reminded me that my boys (grades 3 and 5) like read aloud books set during the winter in the snow. We are currently reading The Long Winter. What should we read next?

I used to read The Long Winter to my kids in the middle of summer to try to cool us off some. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Balto

Stone Fox (though it has a shockingly sad ending)

Parts of Anne of Green Gables and series and other L.M. Montgomery books include winter activities and winter storms

Is there a certain Balto book that is THE Balto book. It looks like there a bunch about Balto.

Yikes! Just a heads up: The Endless Steppe is pretty mature content-wise (for 7th/8th grade and up). It is the real-life memoir of a Russian Jewish girl and her family who were exiled to hard forced labor in Siberia during WW2, and it pulls no punches.

Maybe...
- The Snow Queen (Andersen)
- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken)
- Mr. Popper's Penguins (Atwater)
- Naya Nuki: Shoshone Girl Who Ran (Thomasma)
- Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates
- The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (Lewis)
- Snow Treasure (McSwigan)

...and a few ideas with which I have no personal experience:
- Brian's Winter (Paulsen)
- I Am The Ice Worm (Easley)
- The Snow Merchant (Gayton)
- Icefall (Kirby)
- Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow (George)
- Blizzard! The Storm that Changed America (Murphy) - nonfiction
- I Survived: The Children's Blizzard, 1888 (Tarshis) -- fictionalized 1st person account of real event
- Swallows & Amazons series: Winter Holiday (Ransome)
- The Wolf Wilder (Rundell)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Yikes! Just a heads up: The Endless Steppe is pretty mature content-wise (for 7th/8th grade and up). It is the real-life memoir of a Russian Jewish girl and her family who were exiled to hard forced labor in Siberia during WW2, and it pulls no punches.

We listened to it in the car last summer, ages 11, 9 and 6. While a difficult story, it wasn't gruesome or overly scary. My kids were very interested.

Edited by Spirea

8 minutes ago, Spirea said:

We listened to it in the car last summer, ages 11, 9 and 6. While a difficult story, it wasn't gruesome or overly scary. My kids were very interested.

Yea! Glad it worked for you. We found it quite intense. Once again "YMMV" applies... 😉 

• Like 1

Gold rush fever: A story of the Klondike, 1898, by Barbara Greenwood, is excellent. It's about the gold rush in Yukon. The true meaning of "cabin fever" is described perfectly, where people were stuck in cabins for months and pretty much went slightly mad. You'll also learn some very interesting Canadian history in this book. I found it fascinating. It has lovely illustrations as well and is written for children. 

Edited by wintermom