Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 8:07 AM, KSera said:

The Physics Girl YouTube channel is having a live stream all day today. 

https://www.youtube.com/live/v8HWt9g4L0k?feature=shared

Did anyone watch any of this? I watched three of the four interviews live and still have the final one to go back and watch. I watched some of the intervening commentary with Diana‘s husband and friend as well. The interviews were excellent and last I looked they had raised well over $100,000 for ME research  🎉. the initial goal had been 10,000, so that was awesome. If anyone has anyone in their life dealing with the after effects of Covid infection, the first interview, with Dianna’s doctor who specializes in ME/CFS was really excellent with a lot of practical, helpful information.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 4

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, are there people who follow this topic but don’t click on the long Covid topic we also have going? Occasionally there’s something that would be appropriate for both and I’m not sure whether to cross post or keep it in the long Covid one. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, KSera said:

Also, are there people who follow this topic but don’t click on the long Covid topic we also have going? Occasionally there’s something that would be appropriate for both and I’m not sure whether to cross post or keep it in the long Covid one. 

I am not following that thread. I am glad it’s there if I need it, but we’re still masking everywhere for now. The YA who might take more chances (restaurant with a date) or be unmasked around non-cautious people is willing to do some masking at home as needed. I don’t say that out of false security; it’s more of a “plenty of other stuff on my plate” in this medically complex and neurodivergent older teen/YA parenting thing, especially with two people working inconsistent shifts all over the map.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I haven't heard that.  But I also don't know anyone who has said they have covid, meaning I don't think people think about it, test for it, and they just go on like 2019 and just cough in public and carry.   The only people I have heard say they have it is on here.  So I am doubting that a large portion of the population is even testing when sick anymore.

I get that most people can't (or don't want to) mask all the time.  I wish there were more protections at this point.  Better vaccines, antivirals that work, nasal sprays or whatever that could give you extra protection.  And I say most people can't mask all the time is mostly because the social dynamic has changed so badly at this point.  I would love to get to the point everywhere in the country that people could mask at anytime anywhere for whatever reason and it is just something that doesn't bat an eye at all.   Right now that seems so far away.  I hope it can happen.  I also think masking all the time if you have to go work in person is a lot.  Especially if you are wearing a higher end mask.  So that is why I wish there were other things that really protected people who don't want COVID.  But dang I just hate Covid and want it to go away.  F--- Covid. 

IRL I know three people in the past two weeks who have admitted an actual confirmed case of covid.   With all the not-testing, I'm assuming the actual number is waaaaay higher.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

@kbutton  Gosh I remember reading that lately.  Maybe from okdoomer?     

It was in her recent big post. I have seen them on contracts though. But I never go anywhere like that so I’m trying to think where. Maybe an Airbnb contract?

Here’s Ticketmasters https://am.ticketmaster.com/spectacor/terms

It’s at the top of their terms and conditions:

COVID-19 WARNING:

An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any place where people gather. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. You assume all risks, hazards, and dangers arising from or relating in any way to the risk of contracting COVID-19 or any other communicable disease or illness, or a bacteria, virus or other pathogen capable of causing a communicable disease or illness, whether occurring before, during, or after the event, however caused or contracted, and voluntarily waive all claims and potential claims against Ticketmaster, Live Nation, Event Providers, and their affiliated companies relating to such risks.

• Like 2

Heck, even the American Cancer Society has one! It still shows up on the main policies page, but I have to think someone just hasn’t been paying attention to edit it, because it’s a little bit nonsensical in the current situation. It would essentially mean that no one can participate in any of their fundraisers or activities due to the clause barring any 

“Individuals who have traveled at any point in the past fourteen (14) days either internationally or to a community in the U.S. that has experienced or is experiencing sustained community spread of COVID-19”

https://www.cancer.org/about-us/policies/covid-19-safety-acknowledgement.html

I know SO MANY people with covid right now.  Mostly they're people I know on facebook, not people I've interacted with face to face recently, but it's an astounding number of people who have tested positive.  I assume lots of other people aren't testing.  I've told my family we need to start masking again.  I don't think my area's wastewater is one of the ones being tested, but it seems like there's definitely a surge going on.

• Sad 5

40 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I know SO MANY people with covid right now.  Mostly they're people I know on facebook, not people I've interacted with face to face recently, but it's an astounding number of people who have tested positive.  I assume lots of other people aren't testing.  I've told my family we need to start masking again.  I don't think my area's wastewater is one of the ones being tested, but it seems like there's definitely a surge going on.

Do they say what their symptoms are?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, popmom said:

Do they say what their symptoms are?

I'm seeing a variety from a presentation very much like allergies (runny nose and red eyes) to a heavy on the GI  symptom presentation--diarrhea and/or vomiting. And then there are some people who are very sick and miserable with cut glass sore throat and terrible cough and all that.

ETA: Reddit is somewhat helpful actually for seeing what people are currently reporting. They have a r/covid19positive sub where people post while they are sick. https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My husband and I just had it for the first time and I truly get now why someone might not test.  It was very mild for me, just seemed like ramped up allergies for a few days.  And like a regular cold for my husband.   We have both been vaccinated fully to recommendation but not since last fall.   

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I’m feeling about done with YLE at this point. My sense of that has been gradually increasing, but honestly rather than doing what she says will now be a biannual round up on long Covid, I think she should just skip it and leave that to people who are paying more attention to it and have better information. Her first part on the incidence is a poor interpretation for lots of reasons, but as an epidemiologist in the very least she should be able to correctly interpret what the Y axis is saying. And her take that this is almost surely an overestimate flies in the face of what everyone who spends their time studying long Covid says about these surveys. Even so, If it was even half what her interpretation of it is, 3% of the population is a very big number (but it’s undoubtedly more than that). 

• Like 3

If anyone wants a particularly well done round up on long Covid written for the general public but backed up with extensive research sourcing, this video is really impressively well done. I hate watching videos to get information typically and much prefer reading, but she presents this so well that it really held my interest and attention and if you’re even a little bit interested in this I promise it’s worth the time to watch. It’s not completely just about long Covid and contains information that’s important for everybody that might be exposed to Covid, which is basically everybody.

• Like 4

Quick question re: post-Covid issues (am in a hurry and can’t find the long covid thread).

Is anyone seeing mention of common heart conditions developing post-Covid? Prolapsed valves, etc?

8 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Quick question re: post-Covid issues (am in a hurry and can’t find the long covid thread).

Is anyone seeing mention of common heart conditions developing post-Covid? Prolapsed valves, etc?

You might find this resource: Long COVID and Post-COVID Conditions Overview of the Medium- and Long-Term Complications Associated with COVID-19 to be helpful. There is a whole section addressing the cardiovascular system.

The Pandemic Accountability Index also has these links:

Edited by Amoret
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I read that yesterday and was going to post it.  Good for her for speaking out.  I always wondered seeing pictures of her why she was still masking.  Makes sense now.  She is a smart young lady.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Most of the heart conditions I read about happening post COVID are heart attack, POTS, blood clots and vascular injury, but doing a look, I do see studies referring to cases of valve damage, if it’s that in particular you are asking about. New onset and worsening of mitral valve prolapse. There are ace2 receptors in the valves, so the virus can bind and enter there. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I read that yesterday and was going to post it.  Good for her for speaking out.  I always wondered seeing pictures of her why she was still masking.  Makes sense now.  She is a smart young lady.

I have always felt a bit bad for her that her parents were never masking with her, and even more so now, seeing she has an even greater risk of post viral disease than the baseline risk. Her speaking out has gotten more attention on this than there has been for awhile, so I’m grateful for her using her celebrity status in such a productive way. I can promise no news agencies would have written covered me speaking about masks at a city council meeting 😉

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, KSera said:

Most of the heart conditions I read about happening post COVID are heart attack, POTS, blood clots and vascular injury, but doing a look, I do see studies referring to cases of valve damage, if it’s that in particular you are asking about. New onset and worsening of mitral valve prolapse. There are ace2 receptors in the valves, so the virus can bind and enter there. 

Yes, new onset MVP and POTS. If it is potentially due to post-Covid, I’m wondering if there’s anything that might be done to lessen the impact. That’s the million dollar question, I guess.

FWIW, I know both of those can also appear post-Lyme, too. 

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

I have always felt a bit bad for her that her parents were never masking with her, and even more so now, seeing she has an even greater risk of post viral disease than the baseline risk. Her speaking out has gotten more attention on this than there has been for awhile, so I’m grateful for her using her celebrity status in such a productive way. I can promise no news agencies would have written covered me speaking about masks at a city council meeting 😉

Same.  I would totally be masking with my kids or other family member in that case and be a lot more careful.  Makes sense when you see her masking when she is just around her family, I would assume that her parents are more risky situations with travel, work, and award shows and what not. 

1 hour ago, KSera said:

I know nothing about her except from the article, so I wouldn’t have known her parents don’t mask but she does. I do see a lot of situations where one family member is masked or just the kids or something, and I always wonder what people’s thought processes are and feel bad for the person who is trying so hard while their family is not. I mean, it does reduce risk to have someone masking, but presumably these groupings of people all live together, so…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

Yes, new onset MVP and POTS. If it is potentially due to post-Covid, I’m wondering if there’s anything that might be done to lessen the impact. That’s the million dollar question, I guess.

FWIW, I know both of those can also appear post-Lyme, too. 

There are quite a few things people do to manage the POTS, but I don't know of anything specific that would be suggested for MVP. You have a cardiologist on board I'm guessing? For most people, it's the POTS that causes them symptoms and issues, unless the MVP is severe. You already know the various treatment options for POTS? I can't tell from the wording if you're asking about both or only the mvp.

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I know nothing about her except from the article, so I wouldn’t have known her parents don’t mask but she does. I do see a lot of situations where one family member is masked or just the kids or something, and I always wonder what people’s thought processes are and feel bad for the person who is trying so hard while their family is not. I mean, it does reduce risk to have someone masking, but presumably these groupings of people all live together, so…

There is no way i could go back to masking 24/7.  I just couldn't. Ever. Maybe for a few days, but even then.....  It makes me want to hyperventilate to think of masking again and not getting to be seen or see people or just I don't know.  I can't do it. I just can't. 

24 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

There is no way i could go back to masking 24/7.  I just couldn't. Ever. Maybe for a few days, but even then.....  It makes me want to hyperventilate to think of masking again and not getting to be seen or see people or just I don't know.  I can't do it. I just can't. 

Well hopefully if you had a family member in your house, maybe one of your kids, who was at serious risk if they were to get ill, you’d find a way. I hope you would. I’m pretty sure you would.

Though certainly there are a fair number of disabled people who have been completely abandoned by their families because their family finds masking too much to ask and would rather lose the relationship than do so 😢.

Oh, and I don’t know anyone anywhere who’s advocating for “24/7” masking. That would be strange and unnecessary for anything but unusual circumstances like a hospital stay. Or, I guess, being an individual at high risk living in a household where others won’t take any precautions to keep you safe.

Edited by KSera
Wow, wrong emoji
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, KSera said:

Oh, and I don’t know anyone anywhere who’s advocating for “24/7” masking. That would be strange and unnecessary for anything but unusual circumstances like a hospital stay. Or, I guess, being an individual at high risk living in a household where others won’t take any precautions to keep you safe.

Well, people on here are condemning Jennifer Garner for not masking.  I mean with her profession that isn't really possible. So then she would need to mask 24/7 around her child according to this board. 

9 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Well, people on here are condemning Jennifer Garner for not masking.  I mean with her profession that isn't really possible. So then she would need to mask 24/7 around her child according to this board. 

I don’t think that’s what anybody said. Less exposure is less exposure. If they’re not in the midst of working on set, they could certainly reduce their risk of exposure during those times. I’m not “condemning” her mom or her dad for it, just expressing that I feel kind of bad for Violet because I know how many other young adults in those situations feel right now and I also know it always feels better to have the solidarity of others around you.

Fortunately, from what I’ve seen in pictures at least, it looks like she and her mom maintain a good relationship. I see pictures of them together and they’re often holding hands or laughing or otherwise showing signs that they are enjoying each other’s company. 

• Like 5

So I made it 4 years without Covid, but it caught up to me. 2 weeks after my dad died. Not the best summer here.

I'm not reading the long covid thread 😬. I started feeling achy on Tuesday evening and started masking. DH was away at the time, but now I'm contained in my office on an air mattress.

So far no fever, but have the aches and pains. Nose congestion and cough. Pulse ox is good.

What should I be doing? I know to rest a lot, fluids.

• Sad 10

9 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

So I made it 4 years without Covid, but it caught up to me. 2 weeks after my dad died. Not the best summer here.

I'm not reading the long covid thread 😬. I started feeling achy on Tuesday evening and started masking. DH was away at the time, but now I'm contained in my office on an air mattress.

So far no fever, but have the aches and pains. Nose congestion and cough. Pulse ox is good.

I’m sorry for the loss of your Dad. I hope Covid is gentle to you and you have a quick full recovery.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I’m so sorry about your dad, and that’s really crummy timing for Covid 😞. SO many people who have dodged it thus far have gotten it this round. It seems more hyper contagious than ever. 

Resting a lot is great. If/when I get it, given current information, I will take antihistamines and do nasal rinses and/or iota carrageenan spray (that might reduce my viral load to reduce risk of spread to family members, but also has data showing faster symptom resolution). If I had access to metformim and it wasn’t contraindicated, I would take it for its long COVID risk reduction promise. 

And then I would rest hard and not try to get back to anything strenuous as soon as I felt better, but go much slower than I might feel like I need to. 

I hope you will have a light, easy course and feel fully recovered soon. And that your dh stays well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m so sorry about your dad, and that’s really crummy timing for Covid 😞. SO many people who have dodged it thus far have gotten it this round. It seems more hyper contagious than ever. 

Resting a lot is great. If/when I get it, given current information, I will take antihistamines and do nasal rinses and/or iota carrageenan spray (that might reduce my viral load to reduce risk of spread to family members, but also has data showing faster symptom resolution). If I had access to metformim and it wasn’t contraindicated, I would take it for its long COVID risk reduction promise. 

And then I would rest hard and not try to get back to anything strenuous as soon as I felt better, but go much slower than I might feel like I need to. 

I hope you will have a light, easy course and feel fully recovered soon. And that your dh stays well.

I tried to read the study on antihistamines, but did not understand it at all.  Can you explain?

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I tried to read the study on antihistamines, but did not understand it at all.  Can you explain?

A super nutshell way of saying it is that H1 blockers (Benadryl and hydroxyzine are examples of first generation ones, Claritin, Zyrtec, and Allegra would be second generation) can compete with SARS-coV2 for the same receptor sites, therefore blocking entry of virus into the cell if the receptor is blocked by the H1 blocker. There have been a lot of studies from pretty early in the pandemic showing that antihistamines seem to improve outcomes even of hospitalized patients. I don’t know whether or not this was their hypothesis at the time of how or why that might work. The H2 blocker famotidine is often used in conjunction with the H1 blockers, but this study wasn’t about that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KSera said:

A super nutshell way of saying it is that H1 blockers (Benadryl and hydroxyzine are examples of first generation ones, Claritin, Zyrtec, and Allegra would be second generation) can compete with SARS-coV2 for the same receptor sites, therefore blocking entry of virus into the cell if the receptor is blocked by the H1 blocker. There have been a lot of studies from pretty early in the pandemic showing that antihistamines seem to improve outcomes even of hospitalized patients. I don’t know whether or not this was their hypothesis at the time of how or why that might work. The H2 blocker famotidine is often used in conjunction with the H1 blockers, but this study wasn’t about that. 

Thank you so much for that explanation.  I am most of the time lost on the medical studies.  

Is famotidine something that you can get over the counter?  

And does it matter if you take a first generation or second generation antihistamines? 

45 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is famotidine something that you can get over the counter?  

Yes—generic for Pepcid 😊

45 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

And does it matter if you take a first generation or second generation antihistamines? 

Second generation have less drowsy side effects and are thought not to pose the same increased risk of dementia in the elderly for long term use (though I don’t think that is settled science). 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KSera said:

Yes—generic for Pepcid 😊

Second generation have less drowsy side effects and are thought not to pose the same increased risk of dementia in the elderly for long term use (though I don’t think that is settled science). 

Oh good info, thanks.  Haha about the Pepcid.  I have never taken that so, I haven't heard of it. 

Sigh, I didn't know they were linked to dementia.  Gosh that is hard to hear because a bunch of us take them for allergies.   It sounds like taking these might also reduce your chances of getting infected? 

• Like 2

I was happy to read the antihistamine study, too! One more reason to stay on the kid about taking her daily antihistamine. I take several daily, too.

On the MVP and POTS question: I was staying rather vague as asking for a friend. They have a cardi on board, but I’m wondering if going to a long covid clinic might also be beneficial. However, they have not connected the dots to post-Covid and I don’t know that that’s on their radar. I want to verify it’s a post-Covid thing before bringing it up. Wondering if a clinic might be able to prevent more post covid souvenirs, if that’s the cause.

Weirdly, I have both, too — developed post-Lyme, as a teen!

32 minutes ago, Spryte said:

On the MVP and POTS question: I was staying rather vague as asking for a friend. They have a cardi on board, but I’m wondering if going to a long covid clinic might also be beneficial. However, they have not connected the dots to post-Covid and I don’t know that that’s on their radar. I want to verify it’s a post-Covid thing before bringing it up. Wondering if a clinic might be able to prevent more post covid souvenirs, if that’s the cause.

I don’t know that it would change anything treatment wise for them to connect it to Covid. POTS seems to be treated the same regardless of the instigating factor. The main thing would be so they know that they do not want to be casual about getting Covid again. Another infection could cause more damage. That actually goes for whether the current conditions were initially set off by a Covid infection or not. POTS is such a common post Covid complication and there’s so much Covid circulation that your connection is pretty reasonable though. 

eta: it does strike me that one potential difference in thinking of it as a Covid complication would be staying aware of any potential PEM and not pushing through if that happens. That’s a recipe for ending up severe. 

Edited by KSera
  • Thanks 1

Another nasal spray study. This one doesn’t test prevention, but shows both sprays tested significantly shortened illness duration. Of note, the results were very similar for both the nasal gel (Vicks’s Nasal Defense) and the saline spray. While the results were blinded for researchers, they weren’t completely blinded for participants as they knew whether they were doing a nasal spray or a behavioral intervention, though sprays had been relabeled so they didn’t know which spray they were doing.

Nasal sprays and behavioural interventions compared with usual care for acute respiratory illness in primary care: a randomised, controlled, open-label, parallel-group trial

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1