Menu

Hysterectomy experiences?

footballmom

I will try to not write a novella detailing my frustrations and health issues, but a hysterectomy is a top option to address several issues I’m dealing with including chronic anemia, fibroids, heavy cycles (and they are getting closer together) and pernicious anemia. I am a couple of years away from 50 and asking my mom when she started menopause isn’t an option (I am no/low contact).  I think it’s reasonable to think early 50’s for her.

perimenopause has not been kind to me with weight gain and mid section weight gain.  

My biggest concerns around hysterectomy- what the recovery will be like (physically, mentally and my ability to work from home with limited time off) and will I pack weight on from this.  I know that’s super vain.  With the weight I’ve gained over the last 2 years despite being super active, the idea of having to buy all new clothes for weight gain just makes me sad.  I’m completely done having kids and personally don’t feel like my uterus is a part of my identity. 

No direct experience but I did work in nursing on a gynecology floor.  This is the kind of thing that many patients say they wish they’d done sooner shortly after the surgery, when patients with other operations are still complaining about the pain of standing up.

The most common complication is probably having blood counts be off and needing a platelet or blood transfusion. The second most common thing is probably taking the catheter out too soon and needing to put in another because of swelling, which is an instant relief because bladder pressure is gone. 

Keep in mind that most age-related weight gain is due to muscle loss, not menopause. If you make a point to exercise at least a few times a week with weights, and you have more energy because of less anemia, it might be easier to lose weight after than it is now. 

• Like 2

I had a vaginal hysterectomy when I was 41 (almost 42). It was pretty easy and I felt much, much better two/three days afterwards than I'd felt in many years. The only problem I had was waking up/being nauseous from the general anesthesia (always a problem for me). After the first couple of days I didn't have any help. DH went back to work. Our boys had just turned 6 and 9, but . . truly, I was fine. I could have had my mom or MIL come over to help, but I didn't need it. I know other women have a lot more problems with recovery, though.  Mine was also due to fibroids, heavy bleeding, anemia. I kept my ovaries, so I had no issues with going into immediate menopause or anything like that. Weight maintenance was relatively easy for me until I hit my mid 50's. Totally different story since then, unfortunately.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I had a hsyterectomy last fall at age 53. I had fibroids and endometriosis. My surgery was  laproscopic, one night in the hospital, 1 week of down time, 3-6 weeks of really paying attention to lifting and activity. I have never felt better. I didn't even fill my pain med prescription, just used ibuprofen. 

I have not gained weight, no hot flashes, nothing - I had ovaries removed too. I do notice I'm a little more tolerant of the cold than I used to be but I'm not running hotter. 

I had scar tissue from previous surgeries that had adhered my bowel to my abdominal wall -which I didn't know until the surgery. they fixed that too!  That alone has made a huge difference. 

My surgery was because of a heavy bleeding that lasted months. I'm so glad I had it done. My quality of life is much better and I'm not worried about scheduling things around heavy flow days. 

Edited by elegantlion
  • Like 1

I am 52 and had a hysterectomy in May. Best decision ever. I LOVE not having periods anymore.

Recovery will depend on what type of hysterectomy you're having. I had a vaginal hysterectomy along with cystocele and rectocele repairs. My recovery went very smoothly, but I had to take it easy for several weeks to make sure the prolapse repairs healed properly.  Like a pp, I did not need any prescription pain meds, just Tylenol and Motrin as needed at the very beginning of recovery. 

No weight gain for me, thankfully, but I eat very healthy (whole food plant based) and walk 15,000 or so steps a day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

I had a hsyterectomy last fall at age 53. I had fibroids and endometriosis. My surgery was  laproscopic, one night in the hospital, 1 week of down time, 3-6 weeks of really paying attention to lifting and activity. I have never felt better. I didn't even fill my pain med prescription, just used ibuprofen. 

I have not gained weight, no hot flashes, nothing - I had ovaries removed too. I do notice I'm a little more tolerant of the cold than I used to be but I'm not running hotter. 

I had scar tissue from previous surgeries that had adhered my bowel to my abdominal wall -which I didn't know until the surgery. they fixed that too!  That alone has made a huge difference. 

My surgery was because of a heavy bleeding that lasted months. I'm so glad I had it done. My quality of life is much better and I'm not worried about scheduling things around heavy flow days. 

This sounds just like my SIL who just had surgery Nov 8th.  Except she is only 42.  She is also childless or she may have had it done about 4 years ago. 

I had a hysterectomy at 42, due to a 20 pound ovarian cyst.  I had a 14 inch vertical incision that started at crotch and ended an inch and a half above my belly button.  It hurt, a lot, and I was sad, because I did not have negative experiences with menstruation since my 20's.  (I had horrific cramps as a teen, but they had basically gone away by my early 20's.). But, the pain was only really bad for the first five days or so, and I was walking for an hour at a time by two weeks out.  I only spent one night in the hospital, but 2-3 nights had been recommended but the surgeon was willing to let me go home early because I was walking the halls so much within a couple hours.  I did need prescription pain meds for those first few days, and constipation was a real issue.  I also used a belt with a pocket that provided some support and that I could tuck ice packs into.  I think the ice helped a great deal.  I kept one ovary, which I am very, very, very glad of, because surgical menopause sucks and there are some long term ramifications with it that aren't awesome.  I did gain a bit of weight, but I had also lost weight in the lead up to my surgery, because the tumor was compressing my stomach pretty seriously, and having the cyst removed was kind of like the opposite of weight loss surgery.  I was ravenously hungry for a few months.  It wasn't all that much weight though, and I have not been all the careful about diet.  

• Like 1

I had mine 7 years ago at age 41

My symptoms:

pernicious anemia-hair loss, fatigue (due to problems with absorbing B-12 in food  in my digestive tract. B-12 injections every 2 weeks for the rest of my life.  Easy. No big deal.)

4 fibroids- one so large it cut off drainage on one kidney, one on my cervix

long heavy cycles

Approach-laparoscopic/vaginal surgery, stents in ureter, cervix removed, ovaries stayed (no family history of ovarian cancer)

weight gain- none related to hysterectomy.  I  gained 25# in my late 30s.  I get it off and kept it off by increasing nutritional density, portion control, dramatically reducing processed foods and sugars, and intermittent fasting on a 16/8 schedule most days. I was very physically active at that time, so food intake was the biggest factor for me for maintaining weight, not exercise.

recovery-told 6 weeks, it took about 9. When I asked why dr. said it was due to my age.  6 weeks is average, the older people are the longer recovery tends to be on the whole.

One of the best health decisions I ever made. I felt so much better after.

• Like 1

If it's feasible, I'd suggest seeking out an expert in endometriosis. It's shocking how many poorly informed the typical GYN tends to be on the topic. Nancy's Nook website is an excellent resource with lists of vetted providers. I say this not knowing what you have already done, just in case it could be helpful. If you have very involved endometriosis, hysterectomy may help, but you honestly may need more extensive excision.

Edited by GoodGrief3

I had my hysterectomy mid to late 30s, and my doctor had nagged me for a good 3 to 4 years before to get it done. I finally caved and I remember waking up in the hospital room and I was in pain from surgery but the constant pain that I had been in for years was gone. The doctor was in the room and I said to him wow I feel so much better!! Lol I should have done this years ago! Best decision I ever did. 

Go to hyster sisters, it's a great website about recovery and all the different types of surgery options.

• Like 1