Menu

Need landscaping/yard/deck help! Pics!

WildflowerMom

We live on a corner lot.   Right now we have a small section of the yard directly behind the house fenced-in.   It was perfect when we had our chihuahua because I didn't want him out in the bigger part of the yard without tree cover because of hawks.    Now that he has passed, we'd like to do something bigger for our beagle who is a people-watcher and grass-snoozer extraordinaire.    When you live on a corner lot, how do you fence in the yard?    Just the part behind the house?    Or the side yard, too?   Our side yard is perfect for beagle snoozes and I'd really like to include it, but would it look stupid?    What kind of fence would you use?   

Another conundrum...  our house is the size of a shoebox and we use our back deck as an extra living area.   What would you do to the back deck to make it seem more homey and inviting?    
Note:  I do have cushions in the deck box but they're put up because it was cloudy when I took the pic.    

Also note:  we live where it's 9000 degrees and humid and buggy.   

pics below...

1st pic is looking directly into fenced yard from deck.

2nd pic is of the side yard.   Our other side yard is narrow.  Would it look stupid to fence one side yard and not the other? 

3rd two pics are different angles of our deck.

im going to add another side yard pic, hold on...

Thanks for brainstorming with me! 

BE82FCC7-72B9-44E9-BCDC-6875BC545C5C.jpeg

AC4C6B35-A4A8-42FA-8012-007FDCE461F3.jpeg

5224B485-71CC-4949-BC6D-D3CA39AFC2D5.jpeg

35D09C85-67ED-4D7C-9487-5A21D03E254A.jpeg

Edited by WildflowerMom

No major suggestions, but I've totally got deck envy! What a big space! 

If that were our deck, we'd add some big plants in pots and some string lights. (ETA: zoomed in and see your string lights). Possibly a second umbrella over the small group of chairs. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretty deck and yard!!

I would move the fencing to the property line. If you want to keep the natural feel, have the fencing about 6 feet in from the property line and add some native shrubs that require little maintenance for a visual break. If you don't have sprinklers out that far, you can use a mister hose or a few spike sprinklers on a hose (you can bury the hose if you want to make it look less obvious). 

For the back yard, I would put a gazebo or pergola on the deck. (If you have the budget to add a permanent cover then I would have one custom built, but I assume you aren't wanting to spend $$$ on this project.) They  have versions with a solid top and side screens that open/close. I would get that style to increase use during buggy seasons, and have the cover to block the sun. If you get the style with retractable cover, you can still see the stars at night. You can add lights to the pergola to make it festive or just create a nice mood. 

I like the sound of water, so I would add a fountain but that depends on how bad mosquitos are in your area. My fountain is just a wood wine barrel with some fish to keep the mosquito larva under control. 

I would add some hanging planters to the wood slat wall. You can put artificial  plants there is you don't want to water. The fresh greenery will add to the look. If you like to cook, you may be able to plant some herbs there! It really depends on the weather/sunlight. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

No major suggestions, but I've totally got deck envy! What a big space! 

If that were our deck, we'd add some big plants in pots and some string lights. (ETA: zoomed in and see your string lights). Possibly a second umbrella over the small group of chairs. 

Dh has mentioned wanting some plants back there, so we should probably do that.  We have some in pots now, but they're on the side yard, so he'll have to move a few in.  
And yes, I was considering another umbrella!   They even have those half umbrellas now and I thought that might work well, but honestly it probably needs to be full-size in the Georgia sun.  

I'm thinking about getting an outdoor fan I can mount, but they're so expensive and I'm so cheap. 

3 minutes ago, Tap said:

Pretty deck and yard!!

I would move the fencing to the property line. If you want to keep the natural feel, have the fencing about 6 feet in from the property line and add some native shrubs that require little maintenance for a visual break. If you don't have sprinklers out that far, you can use a mister hose or a few spike sprinklers on a hose (you can bury the hose if you want to make it look obvious). 

For the back yard, I would put a gazebo or pergola on the deck. (If you have the budget to add a permanent cover then I would have one custom built, but I assume you aren't wanting to spend $$$ on this project. They  have versions with a solid top and side screens that open/close. I would get that style to increase use during buggy seasons, and have the cover to block the sun. If you get the style with retractable cover, you can still see the stars at night. You can add lights to the pergola to make it festive or just create a nice mood. 

I like the sound of water, so I would add a fountain but that depends on how bad mosquitos are in your area. My fountain is just a wood wine barrel with some fish to keep the mosquito larva under control. 

I would add some hanging planters to the wood slat wall. You can put artificial  plants there is you don't want to water. The fresh greenery will add to the look. If you like to cook, you may be able to plant some herbs there! It really depends on the weather/sunlight. 

Omg!  So many good ideas!    I would love a pergola on one side of the deck so the other side is open to sunbathe.   I try to soak in vitamin D every day out there.    I don't know about the cost though.  I know the fencing is definitely going to cost money and it's priority number one for my dog.   I've thought of hanging planters but didn't want to have water drip down on the deck daily in the same spot.   I don't know why I didn't think of something artificial because I've got two artificial plants on my front porch.  🤦🏻‍♀️  

If you want to make it free from bugs - that would require a screened area.  or a lot of citronella candles and bug traps.  a pavilion roof would mean you could still use it if it was raining.   We had a good downpour - I just shoved everything closer to the center, and didn't have to move cushions. (I have full sun exposure on my deck - it was unbearable, and it doesn't get to 9000 degrees here.  ;p.)

You can also add these clear vinyl walls to increase the time of year you can use it.  (there are a lot of vendors - I'm not sure with whom I would go - so consider that an example.)   it will protect from rain.  They're supposed to withstand normal winds.  Some reviewers had even added space heaters to their "room" and were using them when there was snow on the ground outside.  They can customize the size.  I plan on doing something like this - and will probably order mine this fall.  (my pavilion is new.) so we can use it longer.  

You can use hooks like this:   then do hanging baskets of flowers, chimes, bird feeders, etc.

lights along the fence - either "post lights", or string lights.  you can do powered or solar.   I have my string lights on a blutooth? plug so I can control it with my phone.  I don't have alexa.   (there's also a button to do it manually.)  advantage is, you can have quite a few, and turn the lights on from the other side of the yard.  (or in the house.)   I have a vine maple over one corner of my deck, and want to put lights in it.  There are even some fun novelty lights.   - and I can leave them up year round.  whohoo.  (I'm trying to get my son to put in one more outdoor electrical socket for me . . . I'm done waiting on dh.)

I have more suggestions - but I really have to leave now .. .

• Thanks 1

Your deck is great! Maybe since you are out there so much and it is hot, instead of just the umbrella for shade, add a roofed area with twinkle lights or those Edison lights so you have more protection from the sun, and then possibly an outdoor fan to circulate air? Maybe some overstuffed type chairs with water resistant fabric?

Not sure. I am eventually going to have to learn the ins and outs of humid, summer living because of our Alabama house. Michigander near Lake Huron living is NOT good prep for this! 😁

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

If you want to make it free from bugs - that would require a screened area.  or a lot of citronella candles and bug traps.  a pavilion roof would mean you could still use it if it was raining.   We had a good downpour - I just shoved everything closer to the center, and didn't have to move cushions. (I have full sun exposure on my deck - it was unbearable, and it doesn't get to 9000 degrees here.  ;p.)

You can also add these clear vinyl walls to increase the time of year you can use it.  (there are a lot of vendors - I'm not sure with whom I would go - so consider that an example.)   it will protect from rain.  They're supposed to withstand normal winds.  Some reviewers had even added space heaters to their "room" and were using them when there was snow on the ground outside.  They can customize the size.  I plan on doing something like this - and will probably order mine this fall.  (my pavilion is new.) so we can use it longer.  

You can use hooks like this:   then do hanging baskets of flowers, chimes, bird feeders, etc.

lights along the fence - either "post lights", or string lights.  you can do powered or solar.   I have my string lights on a blutooth? plug so I can control it with my phone.  I don't have alexa.   (there's also a button to do it manually.)  advantage is, you can have quite a few, and turn the lights on from the other side of the yard.  (or in the house.)   I have a vine maple over one corner of my deck, and want to put lights in it.  There are even some fun novelty lights.   - and I can leave them up year round.  whohoo.  (I'm trying to get my son to put in one more outdoor electrical socket for me . . . I'm done waiting on dh.)

I have more suggestions - but I really have to leave now .. .

Thank you!  I've never seen those clear vinyl screens before!    I think I've found some hooks to get and now I need to look for artificial plants that don't look artificial. 😜.    I have been thinking about lights near the fence because my dog is scared of the dark and won't go further than one step off the deck to do her business at night.  Maybe a few solar lights will lure her further out?  Idk.  

Vignettes.  I would make different areas.  

So on the deck … a pergola type area with seating or a dining table.  Another area for conversation, perhaps with a firepit table. IKEA has a good teak sectional system that works well.  We keep adding pieces, and have refinished ours. Or you could do a sunbathing/lounge area, whatever that might entail.  Lots of plants, probably a potted herb garden area.  Hanging lights.  All the other suggestions re: mounting plants/whatever to your privacy walls. I’m partial to fountains, and liking the idea of one with fish. I would probably also work in a small bistro table for morning coffee.

We have outdoor wet rated fans that help with the heat.  And misting systems are awesome if they are ecologically appropriate in your area.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Your deck is great! Maybe since you are out there so much and it is hot, instead of just the umbrella for shade, add a roofed area with twinkle lights or those Edison lights so you have more protection from the sun, and then possibly an outdoor fan to circulate air? Maybe some overstuffed type chairs with water resistant fabric?

Not sure. I am eventually going to have to learn the ins and outs of humid, summer living because of our Alabama house. Michigander near Lake Huron living is NOT good prep for this! 😁

Good luck!   😆.  I would love more comfortable furniture but mildew is a real problem.  We get quite a bit of rain in the summer and fall and it gets icky.    When it comes time to replace our roof, I would LOVE to extend out a section above our deck, at least part way.   I do love to watch the planes at night.    What I'd really like to do is put a tv out there so we can watch football and the races.  I'm not sure how to figure that in though.  

1 minute ago, WildflowerMom said:

Good luck!   😆.  I would love more comfortable furniture but mildew is a real problem.  We get quite a bit of rain in the summer and fall and it gets icky.    When it comes time to replace our roof, I would LOVE to extend out a section above our deck, at least part way.   I do love to watch the planes at night.    What I'd really like to do is put a tv out there so we can watch football and the races.  I'm not sure how to figure that in though.  

Hmmm. Maybe you could get one of those huge, Rubbermaid, water proof outdoor storage unit thingies, drill a hole for the cords and then think of a way to seal around the cords, caulk or insulation or something, then just open the doors and voila "entertainment center". But I have no idea if that would work.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Spryte said:

So on the deck … a pergola type area with seating or a dining table.  Another area for conversation, perhaps with a firepit table. IKEA has a good teak sectional system that works well.  We keep adding pieces, and have refinished ours. Or you could do a sunbathing/lounge area, whatever that might entail.  Lots of plants, probably a potted herb garden area.  Hanging lights.  All the other suggestions re: mounting plants/whatever to your privacy walls. I’m partial to fountains, and liking the idea of one with fish. I would probably also work in a small bistro table for morning coffee.

We have outdoor wet rated fans that help with the heat.  And misting systems are awesome if they are ecologically appropriate in your area.  

You are speaking my language.    I have also thought of doing sections, especially if we remove the fence and make it bigger.    I definitely want a fire pit area with seating.   I have the herbs already and y'all are giving me ideas about moving those back there and using them as decor, too.    The bistro table is something I want but I'm looking for one that's pretty sturdy as I'd like to take my easel out there and paint when it cools off.  

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Hmmm. Maybe you could get one of those huge, Rubbermaid, water proof outdoor storage unit thingies, drill a hole for the cords and then think of a way to seal around the cords, caulk or insulation or something, then just open the doors and voila "entertainment center". But I have no idea if that would work.

Whoa!  I didn't think of that!   Oh my gosh, that could possibly work!! 

9 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Spryte, what fans do you have?   

This is what the solar lights from Costco look like in my yard at night. 

One is without a spotlight on the tree the other is with the spotlight. (the spot light is angled differently in the two pix)

This is probably 1.5 strands in the pix. I have 4 strands that line the fence. The only problem I had was planning the stands so the solar panels get enough light. The strands are all on one remote so they are easy to turn on/off. The spotlight controls itself at dawn/dusk.

ETA I added a 3rd pic that shows another part of the fence under a heavy tree. The lights really bring to life an otherwise very dark corner of the yard at night.  Each strand has 15 lights I think.

9A732215-7408-4325-8BB8-140333B17129.jpeg

BD6BABCC-F4A1-40B1-8B1C-92336B69A3C8.jpeg

4D94B937-456E-47D8-9BBE-FB3170B7C808.jpeg

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Boy am I taking notes!!! The new place has a deck that is 10x90 so I have space to burn, and no idea how to handle Bama weather!

The main goal will be to conquer the heat/humidity & bugs.   Our humidity is probably worse than y'all's (I'm GA, closer to the coast), but I'd imagine y'all's is pretty awful, too.    But honestly, the bugs are just flat out rage inducing.   I'll be sitting on the chair reading and I'll feel something on my arm and it will be a bug that is literally the size of a pin prick or dot of an ink pen.  I can't explain how tiny these things are, but you feel them!   They itch!    I don't even know how they get on me because they don't seem to fly off.  They're just there!    We have a dynatrap that does pretty well, but dh hasn't filled it in a while.    I need about 50 of them!    

5 minutes ago, Tap said:

This is what the solar lights from Costco look like in my yard at night. 

One is without a spotlight on the tree the other is with the spotlight 

This is probably 1.5 strands in the pix. I have 4 strands that line the fence. The only problem I had was planning the stands so the solar panels get enough light. The strands are all on one remote so they are easy to turn on/off. The spotlight controls itself at dawn/dusk.

9A732215-7408-4325-8BB8-140333B17129.jpeg

BD6BABCC-F4A1-40B1-8B1C-92336B69A3C8.jpeg

Oh my gosh!   I love this!   And I think my girl would actually go pee by the fence if it were lit like that!  🙏🏼

8 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

The main goal will be to conquer the heat/humidity & bugs.   Our humidity is probably worse than y'all's (I'm GA, closer to the coast), but I'd imagine y'all's is pretty awful, too.    But honestly, the bugs are just flat out rage inducing.   I'll be sitting on the chair reading and I'll feel something on my arm and it will be a bug that is literally the size of a pin prick or dot of an ink pen.  I can't explain how tiny these things are, but you feel them!   They itch!    I don't even know how they get on me because they don't seem to fly off.  They're just there!    We have a dynatrap that does pretty well, but dh hasn't filled it in a while.    I need about 50 of them!    

My Dynatrap helps too, but doesn't cure the problem. I found that moving it upwind of me, definitely helps. I have two hooks on my patio for it, so I it is easy to move about.  But only works for certain bugs.  Most of the time, I end up wearing super-light-weight long sleeves outside.  We live near a pond, so mosquitos are inevitable here. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Spryte, what fans do you have?   

We have overhead, ceiling fans in a freestanding pavilion. I think on your deck you might need the type that mount on a wall, with your set up.  I’ll try to find the brand of ours.  We ordered them online, and made sure to buy “wet rated” over just water resistant.

Our deck has a metal gazebo that was retrofitted with a wooden top. We can hang an outdoor light from that.  I don’t have a picture that’s current, but here is one from when we bought (note: not our furniture, we’ve refinished the deck and replaced the canopy and curtains, but here’s the idea of the light fixture)…

image.jpeg.8547a188d382cdf7c5e40d53519d31a5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh!  On the hot tub idea, we bought an inflatable to see if we wanted to invest in a bigger one.  It’s a pandemic but, but got a lot of use last year.  We opted not to go with a big one, though, as we didn’t live the upkeep, and we like using our big pavilion as more of an outdoor living room. You could make a trial run with one, if you wanted.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spryte said:

We have overhead, ceiling fans in a freestanding pavilion. I think on your deck you might need the type that mount on a wall, with your set up.  I’ll try to find the brand of ours.  We ordered them online, and made sure to buy “wet rated” over just water resistant.

Our deck has a metal gazebo that was retrofitted with a wooden top. We can hang an outdoor light from that.  I don’t have a picture that’s current, but here is one from when we bought (note: not our furniture, we’ve refinished the deck and replaced the canopy and curtains, but here’s the idea of the light fixture)…

image.jpeg.8547a188d382cdf7c5e40d53519d31a5.jpeg

This is exactly what I was imagining for thier deck!  The one thing I don't like about my covered patio, is that it limits light coming in my windows. In some climates that my be nice! But in the PNW,  I wish my house was brighter. I see you have windows on the house right there, do you have the same problem with it blocking the sunlight? 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Tap said:

This is exactly what I was imagining for thier deck!  The one thing I don't like about my covered patio, is that it limits light coming in my windows. In some climates that my be nice! But in the PNW,  I wish my house was brighter. I see you have windows on the house right there, do you have the same problem with it blocking the sunlight? 

Yes!  That’s my biggest issue with it.  It does block sunlight.  I’m not actually a huge fan of it as it stands, not in front of windows. It also tends to direct falling acorns onto the house, and they make a big sound if they hit just right.  Makes us all jump.

At the moment, we have the canopy removed (we are replacing it again, and I need to sew a bit). It is next to our breakfast nook windows, and I love the natural light inside while the canopy is down.  Our yard is very shady, so my preference would be a wooden pergola without a canopy. But it’s hard to justify replacing the entire structure, since the one we have is very sturdy.

Hopefully OP’s deck is large enough that it wouldn’t be next to the house!

The other part of our deck has a little bistro table, a container garden for herbs, and rocking chairs.

I love your covered patio - it looks beautiful!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Where do you anchor those?    Could it be anchored to the privacy wall and maybe one of those bucket planter things?

2 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

@Tap, are those solar lights sold separate but still all use the same remote?  Or is it a set? 

They are all separate sets and they are not connected. Each set uses the same remote, so they all turn on with one remote. I have them in one continuous line, so they look like they are connected, but they aren't.

• Thanks 1

Another idea would be a retractable awning. Here is a style that is attached to a roof style similar to yours. They would give a nice cover when you want it, but not give the opportunity to be screened in. Retractable Awning Price Guide for 2017 - Motorized Awning Prices

Edited by Tap
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Thank you!  I've never seen those clear vinyl screens before!    I think I've found some hooks to get and now I need to look for artificial plants that don't look artificial. 😜.    I have been thinking about lights near the fence because my dog is scared of the dark and won't go further than one step off the deck to do her business at night.  Maybe a few solar lights will lure her further out?  Idk.  

I just happened across them.  There are a lot of "patio/outdoor" curtains, and even some in clear - but these are more wall than curtain.

I have a few solar pathlights that are motion activated and dim when nothing is nearby - but are somehow linked and when you walk past, they all come on full. (incl. the cat.)

there are also outdoor spotlights that are solar.   I'd love to put some in, but dh has times he wants total darkness.   It's not like we have a good view of the stars here.  Too much light pollution.

We built our pavilion this year.  I had a 'teak' (it's not teak . . . . ) bench I bought from costco years ago, and some other pieces (rocking chairs  and dining tables)  that all claimed to be teak . . . most are likely acacia which is a similar (and MUCH cheaper) wood.  It requires more protection from the weather.  I found an actual teak bench on craigslist that was so similar to mine - we drove three hours to buy it.  It is extremely heavy. (and is definitely real teak.)   So - I have my seating area with the two benches facing, two rocking chairs.  and I picked up two nesting table sets from Cambridge casual (good sales, real teak.).

we prefer wood fires - and I found a great firepit that came with both a metal cover (so it makes a table), as well as a fire screen.  I wanted to be sure to have a flat area where I could put graham crackers and the chocolate would melt while roasting marshmallows!  Didn't cost that much either.  I think I ordered it off the homedepot website.

I have two dining tables so we could handle large groups - and both have an 11' market umbrella.  The conversation area is under the pavilion.   

dh ran wires to support the lights (there's a hook/screw so you can tighten the wire) because he wanted to get his rectangle without buying more lights.  I have power on two posts - so they're plugged in.

we couldn't decide exactly where the firepit would be - so the ceiling is metal.  The smoke really doesn't even make it that far.  having the firepit on a "platform" makes it higher for roasting - but also higher so the smoke doesn't blow in our faces.

I have roller sunshades on the west/south-west side - they're mesh so you can kinda see through them, but they do cut down on heat gain and sun.

5 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Metal you can throw cushions on - and have a deck box where you can store them when it's raining.  I can shove the furniture towards the center to protect from rain (not something we've had much of this summer), but I also have a deck box where I can toss cushions.  I will have them in the garage, or the basement overwinter.

for TV - you could do a projector - the screen you can hang when you want to use it, then pull out the projector.

I'd like to figure out speakers for my pavilion so I can have music out there.

2021-08-14 18.43.09.jpg

2021-08-14 18.39.53.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1