Menu

Just for fun: If you had to homeschool on a desert island...

PeterPan

What would you take? You can only rescue one suitcase from your sinking ship, so it has to fit in one tow-able suitcase. :)

I'm thinking a flashmaster, Bible, CHOW, AH Student Dictionary, and a set of Hakim. Ok, the set of Hakim would take up a lot of space in my suitcase, but I can't think of a thinner but equally useful spine! With those and a bunch of swimming suits (dd's request), we could do a lot of educating. Then I'd just need an instruction manual on how to survive! :)

How about a satellite phone and the Rainbow Resource catalog. :lol:

Seriously, these are titles I just pulled off the shelf. I could make these fit.

Bible

Complete works of Shakespeare

DK Visual History book

Webster's Dictionary

LCC 2nd edition

Warriner's Grammar & Composition

Classical Writing Core book

Handbook of Nature Study

Conceptual Physics

The Stars by H.A. Rey

Dolciani Algebra

Iliad & Odyssey

The Aeneid

Bulfinch's Mythology

I own all of these but the DK history book. I might try an experiment later to see if they will all fit. I'll post a picture if I do.

a laptop with internet, The dangerous book for boys(I am pretty sure it has instructions for a tree house maybe it would for a raft too. With the interenet we could find everything we nned to school, and instructions on how to survive and call for help, or if we find it is a lovely peaceful island, call for supplies so we don't have to leave it for a while hehe

What would you take? You can only rescue one suitcase from your sinking ship, so it has to fit in one tow-able suitcase. :)

I'm thinking a flashmaster, Bible, CHOW, AH Student Dictionary, and a set of Hakim. Ok, the set of Hakim would take up a lot of space in my suitcase, but I can't think of a thinner but equally useful spine! With those and a bunch of swimming suits (dd's request), we could do a lot of educating. Then I'd just need an instruction manual on how to survive! :)

What? No complete works of Shakespeare. Elizabeth, clearly your baby brain is not functioning normally yet ;).

Ok, now for confession time: I don't think I OWN a complete works of Shakespeare! I'll have to go check. You're right, if I don't, now is the time! Dd likes Shakespeare, but I was ambivalent about it growing up. So far dd has been reading the Nesbit, Lamb, and comic book versions, so we could step up to the real thing. I'm going to check out the other things on your list, Paula, and wait to see your pic of them fitting in a suitcase. Too funny! :)

PS. Fedex seems a good idea to me! I think the magazines would come in shipments (every 3 months).

Band-Aids- I swear these things make my kids think everything is fine.

Coffee

I-Pod (loaded with Veirtas press timeline Cd's and music)

Soap (have you seen how dirty those Survivor guys get:D)

Fingernail Clippers

toothbrush/toothpaste( I am a big fan of hygiene)

Amazon Kindle (loaded with books)

Blokus

matches

deck of cards

bug spray

sunscreen

clean underwear

I'd borrow OhElzabeths Flashmaster so I would bring extra batteries:tongue_smilie:

ds (8yod) says -blanket (tiny ripped up old thing)

dd (10 yod) says-bible

dd (6yod)-my whole family

This would be easier if I had kids closer in age... how about one suitcase per kid LOL...

But if I really only had one...(I'm making the executive decision here that my desert island has electricity and a TV with a DVD player, paper products necessary (like pencils, whiteboard pens and writing paper)) and a printer/copy machine with unlimited paper and ink. I'm also assuming I have to teach all three of my kids through high school - so I have to be able to reuse

BJU Biology, Chemisty, Physics on DVD (no room for texts)

VideoText Algebra and Geometry

Analytical Grammar

Shiller decimal materials

WWE

IEW SWI B and SICC -C

Henle Latin 1 and 2

Singapore workbooks 4 - 6 (CWP books too if they fit)

Set of phonics tiles

white board

Kindle loaded with tons of books

TOG on CD (I can't leave for the desert island until it's ready LOL)

As many Magic School Bus DVDs as would fit

laptop (one of those super small ones so I can read the CDs and print off what I need)

If it would fit - Lively Latin

Heather

Okay, how long am I going to be on this island? Do I have access to a good library? Ds is only five, you know what I mean? :lol:

Here's what I would take in my one, big suitcase (only hs supplies, I have another big suitcase for underwear, toothbrush, baking soda, soap, etc.):

Miquon Lab Sheet Annotations

Miquon First Grade Diary (for the game ideas)

Miquon's whole series of workbooks (at least he'll know basic math!)

A dozen readers, from easy to harder in groups of three each

Six easy chapter books

The Children's Bible (hefty, but worth it)

A Charlotte Mason Education

Handbook of Nature Study

My dozen little classics: Ivanhoe, Treasure Island, Alice in Wonderland, etc.

SOTW 1, 2, 3 and 4 (all hardcover since they're smaller)

Nature Crafts for Kids

Survival Skills book (wilderness and especially with a focus on islands ;))

10 quality pens with 12 extra ink tubes (like Parker pens)

Reams of paper, ruled and unruled, as many as I can fit in)

Crayons, crayon sharpener

Tempera paint and brushes in all sizes (dh is an artist)

Teaching Children by Diane Lopez

The Children's Shakespeare, by E. Nesbit

World Map and USA Map -- waterproof

I don't know if it all will fit but there's always the pocket in the front :D

Now if I only had Internet access................

If I'm trying to homeschool on a desert island, I've got bigger problems to deal with than choosing a curriculum! :lol:

I could make it work with the KJV, Henle 1, and Ray's New Higher Arithmetic (I've got my great-great-grandfather's copy, signed in 1886). And paper and pencils, but in a pinch we can write with sticks in the sand.

Um, we'll be rescued by next school year, right? :tongue_smilie:

Can I take the laptp and my broadband connection?

If not...

A Bible for everyone

Slates and chalk (and a some pencils and notebooks)

Dictionary

Atlas

Pilgrim's Progress

A Patriot's History of the U.S.

Complete works of Shakespeare book

Algebra I and II, Geometry, Trig & Calculus

World history book - not sure which one

BJU Geography

BJU Biology, Chemistry, Physics

Some sort of anatomy/medical book

How to Read a Book

Wheelock's

something to teach Greek

I think I'm probably out of room. I'd love to take the Strong's Concordance, but it's huge, and we'll probably have time to write our own. ;)

Funny thing is, they would probably get a better education...

I'm thinking we could make it with:

The Bible

My OOP Kingfisher History/Science book

& one good math book

Thinking about this convicts me of all the useless books I have on my shelves. But then again... it's hard to get rid of books b/c you never know when your going to suddenly "need" them.

Fun question!

I would bring our Math on the Level books, a laptop with solar battery charger and satellite internet, Kindle for downloading books with solar battery charger, iPod with solar battery charger and speakers, numerous logic CDRoms from the Thinking Co., all upper-level math CDRoms by Teaching Textbooks, reams of paper and pens if I had room, my wipe-off laminated two-sided math drill sheets of 100 problems for all operations, our Usborne ILE of World History, an upper-level history encyclopedia if I had room, and the bank card for buying online downloads.