Menu

oops - vitamin D too high!

ktgrok

So, I've been supplementing a bit too much, lol. Vitamin D was 109 ng/mol in this weeks labwork! I'll back down, obviously, but apparantly this is pretty rare! I'm reading that I should stop supplementing for now, since it takes a while for levels to lower. Also, it is stored in fat - I'm working out daily and in a calorie deficit, losing weight VERY slowly - could me losing fat be part of why my blood levels are so high?

And if anyone is wondering, I was taking this one usually, or sometimes my kids' Nordic Naturals gummies, lol. I've never been this high before, I'm thinking the K2 made the difference, or because it is in oil? https://amzn.to/3yz5wOO

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

So, I've been supplementing a bit too much, lol. Vitamin D was 109 ng/mol in this weeks labwork! I'll back down, obviously, but apparantly this is pretty rare! I'm reading that I should stop supplementing for now, since it takes a while for levels to lower. Also, it is stored in fat - I'm working out daily and in a calorie deficit, losing weight VERY slowly - could me losing fat be part of why my blood levels are so high?

And if anyone is wondering, I was taking this one usually, or sometimes my kids' Nordic Naturals gummies, lol. I've never been this high before, I'm thinking the K2 made the difference, or because it is in oil? https://amzn.to/3yz5wOO

Interesting.  I have been taking 4000 mg a day for 6 months or so.  I still feel exhausted and I have been thinking about having my levels checked again. 

1 minute ago, Indigo Blue said:

No. I never have. I know I should. I just take that amount because I’m never in the sun and I don’t drink milk. 

When I went for my regular check up in January every single thing was perfect except for Vit D.  And I am exhausted.  I can't decide if it is my Vit D level or my emotions weighing me down. 

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

'll back down, obviously, but apparantly this is pretty rare!

My mom's levels were low, but she responded something like this with supplementation. Now she takes one very large supplement once per month--I think it's Rx. I am low, supplement, and my levels comes up s.l.o.w.l.y. 

28 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

When I went for my regular check up in January every single thing was perfect except for Vit D.  And I am exhausted.  I can't decide if it is my Vit D level or my emotions weighing me down. 

Wonder why it’s low even though you supplement? I’m tired a lot, too, even with what I am taking. The few times that I have had blood work done (for other reasons) everything was okay. 

1 minute ago, Indigo Blue said:

Wonder why it’s low even though you supplement? I’m tired a lot, too, even with what I am taking. The few times that I have had blood work done (for other reasons) everything was okay. 

Oh I wasn't clear.....from about June of 2020 to January I wasn't taking any supplement.  When it was time for my regular check up in January I could feel the exhaustion...and sure enough it was low.  I haven't been able to be in the sun this summer like other summers. That is probably why I am not bouncing back this year.

5 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Oh I wasn't clear.....from about June of 2020 to January I wasn't taking any supplement.  When it was time for my regular check up in January I could feel the exhaustion...and sure enough it was low.  I haven't been able to be in the sun this summer like other summers. That is probably why I am not bouncing back this year.

Oh. I see. I hope you get your number up, then! It’s no fun being exhausted.  I think it’s generally good to take vitamin D, anyway. 

• Like 1

So...see...I kind of forgot that my Bariatric Multi, the good one, that is expensive, that I went back to after being on a cheaper one....has 3K IU in it already. So I was taking my added Vitamin D of about 3-5K a day, forgetting I didn't need as much since my multi now had a high dose of vitamin D in it. Pretty sure that is where the issue came from, lol. The bariatric vitamin has a specialized form of the fat soluble vitamins to make them more absorbable, PLUS the liquid D plus K is very absorbable....so yeah. oops. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Vitamin D was 109 ng/mol in this weeks labwork! I'll back down, obviously,

I like to keep mine pretty close to 100, top of the normal range. What was the range on your labs? You might be only slightly out of the normal range. My doctor said to go down (say to 70) just in some kind of middle is better than top theory. However reality is I feel noticeably better when it's on the high end. We've had threads where people have even said they keep theirs much higher than that (120+). So maybe tweak *slightly* but not a ton. Vitamin D will have modulate grumpies from methyls going too high. Since you have a COMT defect and are on a methyl donor ADHD med (yes?), if you feel good at that dose you might just leave it or only tweak slightly. 

27 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I like to keep mine pretty close to 100, top of the normal range. What was the range on your labs? You might be only slightly out of the normal range. My doctor said to go down (say to 70) just in some kind of middle is better than top theory. However reality is I feel noticeably better when it's on the high end. We've had threads where people have even said they keep theirs much higher than that (120+). So maybe tweak *slightly* but not a ton. Vitamin D will have modulate grumpies from methyls going too high. Since you have a COMT defect and are on a methyl donor ADHD med (yes?), if you feel good at that dose you might just leave it or only tweak slightly. 

I was just over the top end - top is 100, I was 109. But 150 is where toxicosis starts...so don't want to keep going up! I've gone from 40 to 109 in 7 months....it will be another 6 months before we rerun labs, likely, so don't want to chance hitting 150 and over, you know? 

My husband got too high (I think due to sun exposure + supplementing higher than he needed to over a long period of time). He was told to lay off all supplemental D for 3 months, then recheck. I read it may take 6 months to go down! I think it varies by person. His calcium levels were fine. I was really glad I insisted he get his D checked! 

Can too high of a vita D dose make a person break out?  I believe it was vita D that my 26 yr. old said she had been taking too much of, so she has backed down.  Well, she has been masking at work, and that is the area that is badly broken out (she never had a problem with acne as a teen).  But she figured it was from too much vita D, and I believe she had her levels checked. Also on birth control, which I have heard helps clear up acne, so...It just looks so painful for her.

I think it’s uncommon to have too much vitamin D naturally, but you can easily overload by taking a high dose pill every day. I would never just self-dose a lot of vitamin D without the blood work to back up the necessity. You need to monitor your levels if you’re going to do this so you don’t damage your kidneys or bones. 

I accidentally bought the wrong Vit D dosage for my son. The bottles look alike and the wrong bottle had a ton of pills in it. His doctor called me after some bloodwork showed elevated levels. We got to the bottom of it   and backed off before things got out of hand, but it wasn’t my finest parenting moment. 

8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think it’s uncommon to have too much vitamin D naturally, but you can easily overload by taking a high dose pill every day. I would never just self-dose a lot of vitamin D without the blood work to back up the necessity. You need to monitor your levels if you’re going to do this so you don’t damage your kidneys or bones. 

I accidentally bought the wrong Vit D dosage for my son. The bottles look alike and the wrong bottle had a ton of pills in it. His doctor called me after some bloodwork showed elevated levels. We got to the bottom of it   and backed off before things got out of hand, but it wasn’t my finest parenting moment. 

I was taking the dose I was told was ok to take after my last labs...I just forgot that when I switched multi vitamins that the bariatric one had it's own 3,000 IU in it. So was basically taking 3K more than I realized. I do get labs checked about every 6 months. 

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I was just over the top end - top is 100, I was 109. But 150 is where toxicosis starts...so don't want to keep going up! I've gone from 40 to 109 in 7 months....it will be another 6 months before we rerun labs, likely, so don't want to chance hitting 150 and over, you know? 

As an aside, I am a little jealous. Going from 30s to 40s is taking me multiple years. Yes, I take K2. My nurse practitioner keeps increasing my D3 dose since it's going up so slowly. 

28 minutes ago, kbutton said:

As an aside, I am a little jealous. Going from 30s to 40s is taking me multiple years. Yes, I take K2. My nurse practitioner keeps increasing my D3 dose since it's going up so slowly. 

you might want to look a bariatric formulations....they are designed to be highly absorbable.The multi I take that has some sort of proprietary micelle technology to make the fat soluble vitamins more absorbable. This is a small study on that...I think sometimes they are referred to as "dry" forms of vitamins? https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27849624/

Or try a liquid form - it was when I switched to that liquid one I linked above that things really went up! And that one was recommended by a friend who found it to be the only one that worked for her. Lots of testimonials on the reviews as well. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bambam said:

I've been taking 5000 IUs daily for 6-8 years. My level last two years has been 63-67.  I get it checked yearly.  I started taking K2 also maybe 3? years ago. Levels went up slightly - they had been running in the 50s. 

Fwiw I take 12k IU daily during the summer and 15k IU during the winter. That's with K2. My labs are good (usually in the 90s) and it's a level that feels good. I don't feel as well when my levels are in the 60s. 

If you have your genetics,  you can look at your vitamin D receptor gene. I have that defect, hence needing extra.