Menu

Aussie help needed, how to prepare beets for putting on hamburger

TravelingChris

Well we usually use the tinned variety!  I’m not sure if that’s what your son meant.  You can pickle your own of course.  My Dad does his, I can ask for the recipe if you want.

Aussie hamburger with the lot means a beef patty, egg, pineapple, lettuce, cheese, beetroot, tomato, cucumber and sometimes more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Well we usually use the tinned variety!  I’m not sure if that’s what your son meant.  You can pickle your own of course.  My Dad does his, I can ask for the recipe if you want.

Aussie hamburger with the lot means a beef patty, egg, pineapple, lettuce, cheese, beetroot, tomato, cucumber and sometimes more.

So are those tinned ones pickled?  A magazine I got this month just had a recipe for pickling beets and I was telling dh I was going to maybe do that with the beets when he asked if I could figure out how the beets on hamburgers were prepared because he liked the Aussie hamburgers.

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

My dh has travelled to Australia a few times for work and he told me that he ate hamburgers there with beets on them.  I got a CSA (Community Sponsored Agriculture) shipment on Friday that part of which was beets.  Can any of you help me with this?  TIA

Apparently.  https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Aussie-Burger/  I googled about 5 other recipes, and one of them had an imbedded recipe for pickling the beets. I'm sure you could do that with your CSA beets.  (I'm about to go pull mine out of the garden. Yumm.) 

3 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

So are those tinned ones pickled?  A magazine I got this month just had a recipe for pickling beets and I was telling dh I was going to maybe do that with the beets when he asked if I could figure out how the beets on hamburgers were prepared because he liked the Aussie hamburgers.

Yep that’s right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

If you don’t want to pickle your own beets, you can get them canned or in jars at the supermarket. I don’t know if they will taste the same as your son remembers them, though, because I’m sure the taste will vary based on the spices and the type of vinegar that are used.

• Like 1

I'd roast them until nice and soft. When cooled, peel and slice.

In a bowl drizzle beets with a little olive oil, salt, and balsamic or red wine vinegar.

Roasting (and adding vinegar) will approximate texture of tinned beetroots (while tasting way better).

Home pickled beets (lacto-fermented or vinegar based) taste very different than tinned/canned beets (which are hot packed).

You could just use canned beets from the market. But to use these up, you will have an upgraded version if you roast the beets and then dress.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I'd roast them until nice and soft. When cooled, peel and slice.

In a bowl drizzle beets with a little olive oil, salt, and balsamic or red wine vinegar.

Roasting (and adding vinegar) will approximate texture of tinned beetroots (while tasting way better).

Home pickled beets (lacto-fermented or vinegar based) taste very different than tinned/canned beets (which are hot packed).

You could just use canned beets from the market. But to use these up, you will have an upgraded version if you roast the beets and then dress.

Bill

I am sure that would taste  very, nice but the pickling process gets the pickling flavour right through the beetroot.  Just like drizzling a bit if vinigar on some cucumber isn't the same as pickling it. 

We use  raw grated(shredded??) beetroot on things like tacos, but it isn't the same as the canned  beetroot in a hamburger

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I am sure that would taste  very, nice but the pickling process gets the pickling flavour right through the beetroot.  Just like drizzling a bit if vinigar on some cucumber isn't the same as pickling it. 

We use  raw grated(shredded??) beetroot on things like tacos, but it isn't the same as the canned  beetroot in a hamburger

I’m aware that the taste of dressed roasted beets would be different than hot-packed tinned beets—they’d arguably be more delicious, just not they same.

Only tinned beets take the way they do. Roasted and dressed is much closer than home pickled IMO.

Bill

• Haha 1

Are these Australian tinned/pickled beets similar to the pickled beets that are common in the southern US? Very vinegar-y and fairly sweet?

My parents put away jars and jars of beets each year (and usually give us a couple), and I'm wondering if we should try some on a burger....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Are these Australian tinned/pickled beets similar to the pickled beets that are common in the southern US? Very vinegar-y and fairly sweet?

My parents put away jars and jars of beets each year (and usually give us a couple), and I'm wondering if we should try some on a burger....

No idea as I have only ever eaten Aussie ones

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Yeah, they are pretty sweet and lack the earthy taste you get with roasted beetroot. 

• Like 3