Menu

Just curious - how easy is it to get an appointment for any of the vaccines in your area lately?

dsmith

Very. I accidentally signed L up for a 2nd dose a week early (thinking it was for today), realized it only when we got to the site and it was closed, went on my phone, and made an appointment for this afternoon without issue. The big, FEMA run vax site has been giving away swag on weekends (I'm guessing the bonuses for specific nights from last Spring/summer games that got cancelled) so if someone needs the motivation of a free tote bag, jersey, mini baseball bat, etc with the logo of a local pro, minor league, or college team to get a no appointment needed vaccine, they can get it.

The only one that was hard to get was J&J, which was available at only a few pharmacies, and of course is not available at all right now. 

Very easy.  My city has started offering walk-in appointments at its big central site and there are appointments readily available at hospitals, pharmacies, and supermarkets.  

There are rural communities in the state (TN) that had 80% of appointments unfilled weeks ago.  I'd imagine those numbers are even lower now.

About 33% of people statewide (I think this is all people, not just adults) have had at least one shot.  38% of people in my county.    The highest percentage I see on the map of counties is 42%; other counties have 20, 21%. 

The virus is most definitely going to continue circulating around here for quite some time.  I cannot wait until my kids can be vaccinated.

It's only been possible for most people 18-65 (or 16-64, depending on brand availability) for 12 days, so we have a lot of half-vaxed adults. I went to an out-of-the-way location to get my first dose a few days before that, and easily scheduled my 2nd dose online this weekend, but they also called me today to make sure I had a plan and to offer me an appointment for it if I didn't have one.

A quick search on CVS.com shows two appointments open for tomorrow afternoon (not at my closest location, maybe a half-hour drive). Walgreens also says it has availability in my area in the next few days but requires one to log in to see details. Walmart requires logging in as well.

Going through the county, this morning's news says there's no longer a wait list. They require contact info before you can see when appointments are available, though.

Also, I would like to take a moment to point out that nowhere I've seen has given priority to people with pre-existing conditions has included previously reacting badly to catching Covid19--including severe disease or long Covid--even if the infection was so long ago that one is not likely to be immune (true for many thousands of people) as a qualifying condition. I think that was an error.

It's been fairly easy for a while IF you were very flexible and could take whatever appointment was available.   Our mega-site was releasing appointments for the same day and next day only, so if those days didn't work for you, you were out of luck.   I think more are coming available at CVSs and Walmarts more recently so it's probably getting even easier.  

It is easy to get Moderna next day appointments now local to me, and with a 30 or so minute drive, easy to get Pfizer next day as well. 

If a person was able and/or willing to travel to a "high capacity" site in my state, you could easily get next day appointments all along, including Pfizer.  

However, it wasn't easy, even though I live in a low uptake area, if you couldn't, or didn't want to, travel. Even earlier this month, all except the high capacity sites had no local availability or 1.5-2 month waits for appointments. That has changed dramatically in the last week or so.

Edited by sbgrace

Over the last couple of weeks it has become quite easy to get an appointment in my city.  The main city site is even doing walk-ins.  Plenty of spots available at pharmacies, hospitals, and supermarkets.

In rural areas of the state (TN), vaccine appointments have been going unfilled for many weeks.  The state opened up eligibility to all adults 16+ on April 5.

At the moment, about 33% of people statewide have gotten at least one dose of a vaccine.  In my city, it's 38%.  The highest percentage I see on the map is 42%, in just a couple of counties.  Many counties have percentages in the low 20s, and I can't imagine those numbers are going to increase much anytime soon.

Our social and religious community has a very high uptake rate, as does the neighborhood in which we live.  I'm somewhat hopeful that the city numbers will improve with better outreach and efforts to expand access.   But I have real doubts that the state overall is going to get to anything close to the numbers that would give us some sort of community immunity.  I cannot wait until my kids can get vaccinated.  

Edited by JennyD

In my county, 46% have had their first dose and 30% are fully vaccinated.  A lot of people drove an hour or more to make this happen since there are only pharmacy and health department appointments in my county.  I live in an area that seems highly motivated (by Hive standards) to get the vaccine.  They're about to open a Mass Vax site at a mall that's just a few miles from me.  It would have been more convenient to wait for that, but I did the whole Hunger Games scramble to get everyone dosed as soon as possible.  My daughter is a high school teacher, so she had the easiest time securing an appointment early on.  There are appointments in Maryland, but you have to be wiling to drive out to rural areas to get them.  This makes zero sense to me, but it is what it is and I'm grateful for the availability.  People are pretty much going online and making next-day appointments for these Mass Vax sites.

Statewide, 28% of Maryland residents are fully vaccinated.  Our neighbors in WV, which is a very red state, have about 26% of their people vaccinated, so it's pretty close despite vast political differences.  WV does have a much older population, with living memories of polio, so I'm not surprised they took it seriously.

Our county is about 25% vaccinated and I think we’re done. The appointments are wide open. I think everyone who wanted one has done it already. 

We are in a very red area and anti-vax and anti-government sentiment is strong even before Covid. Interestingly a lot of the old folks did go for the vaccine even though it was not politically popular. But once the seniors were vaxxed the demand did drop off. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Fuggedabout Krispy Kremes; THIS is what we call a "nudge" LOL

(On a serious note, as we move into the next phase of deployment... after those who are raging to get vaccinated ASAP and on to those who are willing-but-only-if-it's-super-convenient, then onto the wait & see fence-sitters, then onto gimme-a-reason and maybe-I'll-consider-it... "nudges" will become ever more relevant.  I'm not ADVOCATING handing out joints here, nor do I expect that particular nudge is likely to appeal to all segments, but... nonetheless... points for effort and imagination, LOL)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3