Menu

Just curious - how easy is it to get an appointment for any of the vaccines in your area lately?

dsmith

All of our appointments were made at a time when it was very difficult to get appointments, so we ended up using a 'friend of a friend' and managed to get in within a week of contacting her. (All legitimate, although others in our not-immediate family used this person to jump the line.) I've noticed in the past 2 weeks that it is a lot easier to get an appointment for both the Pfizer and the Moderna shot in our area. I've been notified through Zocdoc multiple times of spots opening up, often for the next day. I've checked pharmacies, Walmart, etc, and have found appointments. I've never been notified by the system the state set up, though, and haven't heard of anyone who has. I'm in northern NJ. What's it like in your area?

Edited to add: Dh just received an email from the state vaccine portal that he can make an appointment. We signed up in the very beginning, maybe the second day it was available. I thought that was funny, as it's so easy to make an appointment lately. I just received notice of 2 days of appointments open at our local hospital's vaccine clinic. They will be gone in a few hours I would imagine - they are opening up to 16 yrs and up today, and last week appointments were filling quickly. I'm hoping nieces and nephews get vaccinated, but I doubt they will. 

Edited by dsmith

19 minutes ago, HeartString said:

I’m in Virginia and our local hospital has next day appointments and usually has walk in appointments during less busy times. Couldn’t be easier.  

Same. My DD got a same day spot last week. I don’t know what the statewide uptake is but it’s pretty high in my local area. I regularly get notifications from the state and city about clinics. We’re in VA too. 

Edited by Sneezyone

It is still a bit of a challenge here. Tomorrow it finally opens up to the 16-44 without high risks and that are not essential workers crowd. However, all appointments are already booked for nearly the rest of April. So when it goes live for this group tomorrow...the system will crash and people will be frustrated. 

I got my first dose last week...and that is only because I am high risk. Nobody else in my home was eligible yet. Tomorrow will be the start of trying every morning at 9 to get them an appointment...just like I had to do a few weeks ago to get mine. 

It's getting easier and easier here.  I found a pharmacy appointment and then got an email from the state vaccine connector within the same week,  Public school district organized a vaccine clinic for 16+ students.  I'm hearing of several friends locally getting contacted by their regular primary care providers for scheduling vaccine appointments too.   I wouldn't say that anyone and everyone can find a shot any given day, but it probably won't take too many days of trying (pharmacy appointments go pretty fast - there are usually more 30-60 minutes drive away in more rural areas).

It's random here. If you're in a group that has priority, then you can just get an appointment for within the week. But for everyone else, you have to go into a lottery.

If you're willing to go to a neighboring state and take a pharmacy slot or call one of the mass sites, then you can usually find something within a couple of weeks. But it depends. That requires being on top of it and searching at the right time and so forth. But increasingly, it's available. Everyone in my house has at least their first dose now.

Up until two weeks ago it was difficult in my area.  I think it has changed a lot in the last two weeks, however.  Now, I don't need an appointment for anyone in my family, so I haven't actually tried.  My university has received a large allotment last week; it was just for students and faculty.  They are scheduled to receive another allotment sometime this week and are opening sign-ups to friends, families, and neighbors, also--so I am assuming it is now easy to get an appointment.  The concern is that this allotment is Moderna and the semester will end (and students leave) before the second does is due.  

I do find it a bit concerning however, that neither my health department nor my GP have contacted me about getting a dose, although I signed up in January (and DH signed up in December when it first opened; he is over 70 so was in Tier 1).  I wish there was a bit more guidance and information from people's physicians rather than going to random clinics--especially for people with underlying health issues, history of severe allergic reactions, or other concerns.

• Like 1

One thing I'm seeing here is a lack of awareness that it's totally possible to get an appointment. Someone claimed to me that an elderly friend couldn't get an appointment. I was like, then something has gone wrong because the city offered appointments to every single person over 65 who registered for the last three weeks. So your elderly friend either didn't register or chose not to take the appointment. Like, something went wrong there.

• Like 3

When we first tried in mid-March the first appointments we could get were in June. When we checked again a couple of weeks later in case of cancellations, there were lots of appointments within 7-10 days. A lot opened up and I assume that had more to do with vaccine availability than site availability. DS16 qualified on 4/15 and we stayed up until midnight and got him an appointment for 4/22.

• Like 1

Getting easier. It took me ages, and lots of refreshing to get an appointment for my mother. For me, less refreshing, more options. For the older kiddo, while slots were visibly filling up, it was ultimately no real trouble - and we were even able to reschedule to a more convenient (earlier!) time.

• Like 1

Walk-in and drive-in appointments available here all over the place!

It's incredibly frustrating to see other states/countries with such limited access to the vaccines for those who want them when I'm in an area where they are practically standing on the street corners with sandwich signs pointing the way to easy vaccination access everywhere!!

Our whole fam is fully vaccinated now (post two-weeks-following-final-vaccine). It's a beautiful feeling!

• Like 2

I live in Africa.  My country has received 850,000 AZ doses through COVAX.  There are 100 million people in the country, so even with a high percentage of children compared to western countries, it's obvious that most people don't have access to the vaccine right now.  But the vaccine they do have is technically available to any adult who can go online and sign up for one and take time off work to go to a vaccine clinic.  An American friend of mine who has lived here for 40 years signed up and was able to get her first dose a couple of weeks ago, but it took two full days of waiting for her number to be called.  This country does have decent infrastructure for major public health initiatives, but the vaccine supply isn't there yet to support it so they haven't really mobilized it yet.  

• Sad 5

It's always been from somewhat easy to super duper easy here. I've mostly just been watching my county health department signups. They open up on Monday mornings. Mostly they offer Pfizer, but there's usually one day of Moderna and (until they halted it) often one day where J&J was offered. To begin with the slots were gone within an hour or so. So it was easy to get one as long as you could be online when they opened. Within a couple of weeks it was taking about a day and a half for all the slots to be filled. Now all the slots aren't being signed up for, and they've started offering one day a week just for walk in appointments. There is lots of vaccine hesitancy here. Despite vaccines being easily available only 26 percent of people 18+ are fully vaccinated, and only 54 percent of those over 65 are fully vaccinated. 

• Like 1

I can’t say for sure, but it seems to have gotten easier than it was in northeast PA. My main focus was trying to score Pfizer for my <18, and we started trying a few months ago when she got her qualification letter. I was finally able to hunt it down through CVS, but not at any of our preferred locations. We had to go to a store an hour away. I’m just happy to have found it.

The first time my health system notified me that I could schedule an appointment for Moderna, I skipped it (viewing my risk factors as smaller than others’ and having very, very few exposure risks), but saw those appointments fill quickly. That was maybe early March?  The second time scheduling opened up a few weeks later, I had plenty of slots to choose from even though I hadn’t jumped on it right away.

Since then, I’ve gotten a few robocalls and emails for my older daughter to schedule, but she’s already gotten hers. So it seems like we could get in pretty easily (for Moderna) if we still needed to.

“Easily” for my location would be within a 30-60 minute drive. 

• Like 2

I just checked and there are several places near me that have appointments available today. Our mass vaccination site has started allowing walk-ins with no appointment. We seem to have plenty of vaccine but everything I hear is that only 20% of our state population is vaccinated. I'm fully vaccinated but aware that most of my friends do not plan to get vaccinated. So there seems to be a lot of vaccine hesitancy and refusal around me.

ETA I'm in Georgia.

Edited by CTVKath
  • Sad 2

Much easier here in the past 1-2 weeks   my friend was posting asking for people to come in and get the last few doses at the end of the day.  The mass center here giving 8000+ shots a day has openings for today or tomorrow.

One issue here has been that when they try to call people for their slot spam blockers are blocking the calls so they can't get through to let patients know they could get the shot.

We got ours at Walmart and that was pretty easy. If you were checking a couple times a day you could get an appointment within a week or so. Dh and I both got appointments for Wednesday and Thursday when we became eligible on a Monday. We had registered for the health department and got notice it was our turn to schedule about a week after we got our shots at Walmart. So not terribly difficult but you couldn’t just get one same day.

I just went and checked to see how it is now and it is wide open. They literally have every time slot open all day today and tomorrow. Our location was also giving many shots to people that were traveling from nearby states with tighter eligibility. Once eligibility opened up there, it made demand here minimal. 

People are just not getting the shot here. My immediate family and extended family have all had both now (except the kids). I only know a couple other people in real life who are open about having gotten it. Dh said he read that our state is expected to have a surplus of six million shots by the end of the month. I don’t know where he got that and didn’t see it for myself. 

We just aren’t going to get high levels of vaccination here. I can’t wait for that milestone to resume my life. It’s not ever going to happen. 

• Sad 3

My state offered a preregistration option, and once each tier opened up they called/texted/emailed when it was your turn in the queue and you were given access to all available spots in the state (could also preregister with health care groups); DH got his appointment a week out or so when they opened up his age group. A week or two later it was opened up to 16+; DS and I were able to get appointments together for a few days later. We were all given appointments for our second shots at the vax site, it was very efficient.

Since we have an older population and they have already been vaccinated for the most part, I assume it’s very easy to secure a spot now and the rest of the state should go fast. We all have our first shots and will get our second within the next couple weeks. Literally everyone we know has either had their first shot or is finished. You’d have to not want one to not be vaccinated by now, I think, at least in my area. The rural counties might be different.

• Like 2

Pretty tough until recently. Pretty much no Pfizer available in my state, but Moderna is now available at a pharmacy 30 minutes away and the county health clinic has posted walk-in availability the last two Wednesday afternoons at a site 30 minutes from me. Word of mouth is there is lots of availability daily as people who currently want a shot have gotten at least their first.

No way to schedule 2nd shots through the state system, so I'm either going to look for the walk-in clinic or just schedule at a Walmart. Hoping there is Pfizer a bit closer when dd#2's time for her 2nd shot is here. But, I'll drive her an hour again if necessary.

The local college offered J&J shots for the college kids for two days only. Not sure how many took them up on it.

There seems to be lots of people here who either don't want it or want to wait longer before deciding to get it. My county shows 30% of the population fully vaccinated & 45% partially vaccinated (and then add them together to say that only 25% haven't gotten a shot. But I think the 45% includes the 30%, so 55% haven't gotten at least one shot. I could be wrong, though.)

8 hours ago, Farrar said:

One thing I'm seeing here is a lack of awareness that it's totally possible to get an appointment. Someone claimed to me that an elderly friend couldn't get an appointment. I was like, then something has gone wrong because the city offered appointments to every single person over 65 who registered for the last three weeks. So your elderly friend either didn't register or chose not to take the appointment. Like, something went wrong there.

I can see that.  I didn't even try for awhile because I didn't want to refresh a page for hours.  A friend encouraged me to just look and I was able to get an appointment scheduled for the next day with no problems.  Getting my son registered 2 weeks later was even easier.   I think the media are reporting on places where it is hard and everyone just assumes that that is true every where. It's a quick moving situation and what was true last month is not true anymore. 

Edited by HeartString
  • Like 2

People say and act like it is hard to get here, but really it isn’t. When the “locals” complain, they are really complaining that it is not convenient for them. When you choose to live in a rural area, the trade off is that resources are further away. They aren’t wanting to drive the hour or more that it takes to get to a vaccination site. They are wanting “someone” to provide a vaccination site in their very small resort town.  

• Like 2

There is still waiting in my county in SE PA. In theory vaccine is available to everyone but people still have to sign up with the county. My husband signed up a week ago, on the day it opened to all age groups; he is still waiting to be told he can make an appointment. (I'm older and was in the first group, age 65+, so have had my first shot. It took me a month to get an appointment slot after I became eligible.)  Pharmacies have signs saying 'vaccine coming soon' but no dates on when to expect it. 

Relatively easy.  Walmart and other pharmacies advertise slots for Moderna.  Fewer locations offer Pfizer but it is available.  Schools announce clinics as they receive notification.      

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Pretty tough until recently. Pretty much no Pfizer available in my state, but Moderna is now available at a pharmacy 30 minutes away and the county health clinic has posted walk-in availability the last two Wednesday afternoons at a site 30 minutes from me. Word of mouth is there is lots of availability daily as people who currently want a shot have gotten at least their first.

No way to schedule 2nd shots through the state system, so I'm either going to look for the walk-in clinic or just schedule at a Walmart. Hoping there is Pfizer a bit closer when dd#2's time for her 2nd shot is here. But, I'll drive her an hour again if necessary.

The local college offered J&J shots for the college kids for two days only. Not sure how many took them up on it.

There seems to be lots of people here who either don't want it or want to wait longer before deciding to get it. My county shows 30% of the population fully vaccinated & 45% partially vaccinated (and then add them together to say that only 25% haven't gotten a shot. But I think the 45% includes the 30%, so 55% haven't gotten at least one shot. I could be wrong, though.)

Our second appointments were scheduled when we received our first doses.  

Yesterday I met up (outside) for the first time in over a year with the parents of my now-18 year old's posse from middle school. So we're a bunch of 50-something boomers with a pack of late-adolescent kids. Every single one of the boomers has had at least 1 dose, most of us 2 doses; and every single on our of 16+ kids has either had their first dose or is soon scheduled for it.  The days of the mad scrambles for slots, and the tip-swapping on how to navigate all the maddeningly confusing sets of multiple portals, are over.  So long as you have the information and online access and transportation and some degree of schedule flexibility, it is now pretty easy to get a slot within a week, within ~20 miles.  The challenge now is to get doses to people who don't have access to information and technology and transportation and schedule flexibility.  My state is one of 7 in which more than 45% of the population has received at least one dose.  ("Herd immunity" will not be achieved until we get to ~75-85%.)

In the beginning of the vaccine rollout, there clearly was a Demand Exceeds Supply situation: there simply were not enough doses to meet the urgent desire of many Americans to get vaccinated. Now that 209 million doses have gotten into arms, there definitely are pockets where Supply Exceeds Demand: where we're starting to hit not just the logistical challenges of an unprecedented delivery challenge and uneveness of access to information and technology and transportation etc of folks who want to be vaccinated, but also substantive vaccine hesitancy and/or resistance.

If you scroll down to the "Vaccines Across America" section of Bloomberg's tracker, and slide the cursor over, you can compare for each state the % of vaccines that have been delivered to the state that have actually gotten into arms.  (The metric bops around a fair bit day-to-day, because the main state allocation comes once a week, but shots go into arms every day, so for each state the metric plunges on delivery day then works its way back upward over the next 7 days. Still, as the denominators get bigger over the weeks, that effect is less extreme.  And the basic contours of the differences across states are holding pretty steady.)  New Mexico, North Dakota, Wisconsin and Minnesota, along with most of New England, are consistently getting a much higher % of their allocation actually into arms; Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi and Wyoming are piling up an ever-increasing stock of unused vaccine. (With a bit of arithmetic you can calculate the absolute number of unused doses sitting in stockpile in each state.  At the national level, 209M doses have gotten into arms; 262.6M have been distributed out to states, meaning that 55.6M doses are sitting in various state-level storage facilities.  To put 55.6M into perspective, the total populations -- every man woman and child - in Guatemala AND Honduras AND El Salvador, combined, is about 30M.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

re signup systems in PA

19 minutes ago, marbel said:

There is still waiting in my county in SE PA. In theory vaccine is available to everyone but people still have to sign up with the county. My husband signed up a week ago, on the day it opened to all age groups; he is still waiting to be told he can make an appointment. (I'm older and was in the first group, age 65+, so have had my first shot. It took me a month to get an appointment slot after I became eligible.)  Pharmacies have signs saying 'vaccine coming soon' but no dates on when to expect it. 

Have you tried going directly to the pharmacy portals?  My son lives in Pittsburgh, and he & many friends have signed up directly with Rite Aid and CVS.  (Pharmacies participating in the federal pharmacy program get an allocation which is separate from, and distributed outside of, the states' allocation.  It can be helpful to know what day of the week the "new" slots become available; in my state the allocations are on Thursday so Thursday night/Friday has a lot of new slots suddenly appear for the following week.)

7 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

New Mexico, North Dakota, Wisconsin and Minnesota, along with most of New England, are consistently getting a much higher % of their allocation actually into arms; Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi and Wyoming are piling up an ever-increasing stock of unused vaccine. (With a bit of arithmetic you can calculate the absolute number of unused doses sitting in stockpile in each state.  At the national level, 209M doses have gotten into arms; 262.6M have been distributed out to states, meaning that 55.6M doses are sitting in various state-level storage facilities.  To put 55.6M into perspective, the total populations -- every man woman and child - in Guatemala AND Honduras AND El Salvador, combined, is about 30M.)

Well, then I wish that Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, and Wyoming would share with the states like mine that cannot get enough supply for the demand. We only opened up the tiers sooner because the Pres said so. Originally the tier opening today was slotted for May, June, and July. It was 3 groups that they squashed together to open up in time. That doesn't mean that we actually have vaccines for these groups, just that we are keeping up appearances by following Biden's guidelines of when people would be eligible. What ends up happening is the vaccine site just crashes and crashes and it is really a long and frustrating process to land a vaccine. For people that have to work, they have to find someone who doesn't work to get an appointment for them. Getting an appointment requires trying daily until you just get lucky. This can take daily efforts for weeks. And no, this is not about being willing to drive. The vaccination site are nice and well run. The people giving the vaccines are really kind and doing a good job. Some of the largest site options are on mass transit so they are easily accessible for those that need it in metro areas. The problem is really just lack of vaccines. And yes, I realize we are still better off than other countries. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

re crowds & crashes when new cohorts first become eligible

14 minutes ago, bluemongoose said:

Well, then I wish that Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, and Wyoming would share with the states like mine that cannot get enough supply for the demand. We only opened up the tiers sooner because the Pres said so. Originally the tier opening today was slotted for May, June, and July. It was 3 groups that they squashed together to open up in time. That doesn't mean that we actually have vaccines for these groups, just that we are keeping up appearances by following Biden's guidelines of when people would be eligible. What ends up happening is the vaccine site just crashes and crashes and it is really a long and frustrating process to land a vaccine. For people that have to work, they have to find someone who doesn't work to get an appointment for them. Getting an appointment requires trying daily until you just get lucky. This can take daily efforts for weeks. And no, this is not about being willing to drive. The vaccination site are nice and well run. The people giving the vaccines are really kind and doing a good job. Some of the largest site options are on mass transit so they are easily accessible for those that need it in metro areas. The problem is really just lack of vaccines. And yes, I realize we are still better off than other countries. 

Yeah, we had Hunger Game crowds and portal crashes as each new cohort became available as well; that was among the reasons why our governor decided back in February to drop all the pre-existing condition and employment categories for eligibility and go simply to an age-based system -- to reduce the complexity and associated "stickiness."  That decision was controversial at the time -- a lot of folks with pre-existing conditions were pretty grumpy -- but just in the 4 weeks following, as eligibility quickly expanded down to everyone 45+, it became obvious here that removing the guesswork and subjectivity and documentation requirements enabled deployment to go much faster. The Hunger Games signup races and portal crashes are temporary problem -- we've only been open for 16+ since March 25, but it's already easy to get a slot if you put in the effort (a few of the 12+ portals, a few times over a few days) -- but are maddening for sure.

At *some* point I expect that the allocations for states that are just piling up unused doses will be scaled back so folks in other states can get easier access. Already a number of those states have opened up to non-residents... which is a super-inefficient way to kinda-sorta begin to accomplish the same end. But as it will be politically controversial, it should not happen until after difficult-to-reach populations (minorities, immigrants, rural areas) have had  meaningful outreach and opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherry in OH said:

Our second appointments were scheduled when we received our first doses.  

I know some places allow that but there wasno way to do that in my health district. They gave everyone reminder cards to set up our second appointments through the same system we used to get first appointments. Except it doesn't work - for anyone. I'm not the only one who is facing this. And calls go unanswered & messages are not returned. So, most people will figure something out.

I assume they didn't make the appointments because they didn't know when they would be doing second shot clinics. My health district isn't the most on the ball...

• Sad 3

Easy here in the greater Raleigh, NC area.  Everyone over 16 is eligible now and has been for a couple of weeks. There's been a county based app then lets you know when and where a mass vaccination site will be open and when it's full. You can use the vaccine finder link at the CDC, tell it which vaccine you want (Moderna or Pfizer right now) put in your zipcode, and go to a local Walmart, CVS, Walgreens and get a shot within a day or two. The location through the link lets you know which shots are in stock and which aren't.

We got our Pfizer shots at our local Walmart last week and could pick any day of the week, most times of the day for an appointment. We were scheduled for our second shot when we checked in for our first shot.  We signed up for the V-Safe app to follow up on how we felt each day after.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ

I checked the walmarts near me the other day out of curiosity...the ones near me in metro Atlanta are still mostly either booked or listed as out of vaccine, although I did eventually find appointments at one about 30 minutes away. When I look outside of the metro area at all, though, it's wide open. But the big site in Atlanta was doing walk-up appointments last week, too, so, yeah--pretty easy to find unless you're super picky about location. 

• Like 1

It is slowly getting better here.  But like my DH and I are just getting our first today and tomorrow and we're in our 50's.  I got one for my 16 year old, but I drove her 2 hours for it and just happened upon a rural one day pfizer clinic with plenty of openings who would take anyone.   We do know people still floundering for appointments.  

My college student in another state in a mid size city MAY be able to find something in the next couple weeks if he sets his mind to it.  He's coming home for the summer by mid May so if we have to do it here, that is fine too.   

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Once your cohort opens in Scotland you get sent an appointment letter. It's very straightforward. 

I live in the states but, happily, this is how our medical group did it.  No searching or signing up just an email invitation when it was your time.

After the first dose you made your second appointment before leaving.

I was quite happy to be in a medical setting that was set up to only do covid vaccinations.  

Others in this area are still searching for appointments and haven't heard anything from their doctors.  I live in a very populated and, afaik, pro vaccine area.

• Like 3

I was astonished how easy.

After my last shot on Monday I made an "as-god-as-my-witness" commitment that my number one life-priority (behind having my daily coffee) would be securing an appointment for my 16 year old who would become eligible on Thursday (April 15).

On Wednesday morning, I had a plan to spend my day getting my kid registered with every pharmacy and outlet (including our health provider) that is offering shots and was going to be fully ready when the clock struck midnight. 

Instead, my first link took me to MyTurn and there were a slew of appointment times for Thursday (Day One) minutes away from my home. I was shocked. As a strategic measure I took one for Friday after-school (just incase he had a bad "day after").

My son had his first shot of Pfizer last Friday.

Bill

• Like 4

Update!

Amazingly I landed a couple of appointments that were cancellations! I tried when the appointments became available, the site didn't crash today, but everything went really fast. When it was gone I hit reload a couple more times and then the cancellations were uploaded. All the appointments and cancellation appointments were gone in less than 45 min. 

I am relieved!

• Like 6