Menu

Help me learn to love this type of food

Spryte

8 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

You have baby ones! It’s amazing how much juice comes out of them. Wonder if they need to be a certain size? I bet they do.

They need to be pretty mature, something like 12-13 years old. It’s really cool to see the plantations. Maguey also gives fibers that can be woven, made into baskets, nets... The spikes were used as needles - those things are treacherous! People still use them as living fences both to keep cattle in and to keep intruders out. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bibiche said:

They need to be pretty mature, something like 12-13 years old. It’s really cool to see the plantations. Maguey also gives fibers that can be woven, made into baskets, nets... The spikes were used as needles - those things are treacherous! People still use them as living fences both to keep cattle in and to keep intruders out. 

Those spikes have made my yard upkeep more challenging. I'd also planted some more exotic cactus (that resembled misshapen cucumbers?) given to me by a neighbor. Well those things thrived and multiplied and their thorn were savage!. Made the agave tips seem benign.

The weird cactus faced my machete recently. I did try eating some. Quite tasty IMO. My gluttonous side had pangs of regret and I wondered if I was too hasty? But I was tired of bleeding. The spikes would easily penetrate flesh (deeply) and would detach from the plant.

Would have been great needles for indigenous crafts, but I'd prefer to garden around rosemary, lavender, and other softer herbaceous plants.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Mine is medium sized, and would take a couple years to get to the size of the ones in the video, I'm guessing.

At the end of the block there is a new-ish house that was landscaped with the biggest agave that I've ever seen. Gigantic!

That house was used for the location of Paul Rodriguez's latest television series (which I presume is now cancelled). I never saw the show, but I bet the giant agave was featured. It is something to behold.

Bill

I bet that is! Oh my goodness! Now I want to find that agave plant in the TV show. Then I could say there’s the giant agave that’s down the road from Bill’s house! Lol.

Edited by Indigo Blue

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

I bet that is! Oh my goodness! Now I want to find that agave plant in the TV show. Then I could say there’s the giant agave that’s down the road from Bill’s house! Lol.

Lest you think I might be prone to exaggeration, I just snapped a picture of my neighbor's agave.

Bill

2YlXbnm.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That's not a plant - that's a whole security system! 

One of many security systems. I was very conscious that while I was taking a picture of the plant, I had a security camera looking right I me.

I wonder if anyone will notice?

I'm not sure the photo quite capture how big that agave really is. 

Bill

42 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Lest you think I might be prone to exaggeration, I just snapped a picture of my neighbor's agave.

Bill

2YlXbnm.jpg

That is huge! I can see how it would be hard to weed around them.

Oh, and I never thought you were exaggerating at all! 😆 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

That is huge! I can see how it would be hard to weed around them.

Oh, and I never thought you were exaggerating at all! 😆 

Mine is puny in comparison, maybe 2.5 ft. Theirs is probably 8 ft. Worlds apart in terms of scale.

I think the smaller ones are actually harder to weed around, give their spikes are all at perfect striking distance.

Bill

• Like 1

@Spy Car That is an impressive agave. And while we are on the subject of agave and beverages, I would be remiss if I didn’t recommend you try Siete Leguas tequila. This is not the kind of tequila you do shots of and then suck on a lemon. It’s a really, really smooth sipping tequila. I generally don’t like hard alcohol, but I do appreciate this. 👍🏼 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

@Spy Car That is an impressive agave. And while we are on the subject of agave and beverages, I would be remiss if I didn’t recommend you try Siete Leguas tequila. This is not the kind of tequila you do shots of and then suck on a lemon. It’s a really, really smooth sipping tequila. I generally don’t like hard alcohol, but I do appreciate this. 👍🏼 

Covid "lockdown" has been weird. I was never a big drinker, but have always appreciated really good beers, ciders, wine, and quality spirits. Always enjoyed in moderation--pulque incidents aside.

In the past 14 months I've barely touched a drop. Not by intent. Not due to any problems with drink. Just have been out of supply and not availed myself of delivery options (which I could have).

I feel like I lost the taste for it. No desire at this point. Weird? Kinda, huh?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

Wife went out last night to celebrate a friend/kid graduation last night, leaving the boys at home, so we were free to indulge our most carnist tendencies by making a meal of fat hot links--which were the perfect foil to my freshly make red sauerkraut. Sauteed onions and then added the links . Browed well and then generously added the sauerkraut. Served with a pan-sheet roasted mix of small white potatoes pieces, carrot slices, and cherry tomatoes.

The sauerkraut was mmm good.

Excited about tonight's dinner. Trying to get my moneysworth out of my Mockmill grinder and my wife likes to have a mix of vegetarian meals (which I don't mind either). So the other day I tried making a street food flat-bread/pancake-ish treat that the French call Socca and Italians (depending on the dialect) call Farinata that is make from ground garbanzo bean flour (which I milled fresh). Made one plain (with herbs) and another larded with goat cheese and sauteed leeks and herbs. Very good.

Only problem was turnaround time was slow. OK as an appetizer.

But liked this garbanzo bean flour idea. A lot. Looked around. Discovered a Rajasthani dish called Gatte Ki Sabzi. @Dreamergal does your family make anything similar?

Basically dumplings made from garbanzo bean flour or similar besan flour.

Two links that I used as "inspiration," for the dumplings (my version is more like the first link). Used 300 grams instead of 200g of garbanzo beans and wish I'd used more (for 3 people).

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/gatte-ki-sabji-recipe/

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Gatte-Ki-Sabzi-Recipe-_Rajasthani-Besan-ke-Gatte_-2141415#directions

I added garbanzo bean flour, salt, Aleppo pepper, fresh ground Morita chipotle pepper, freshly ground haldi (fresh turmeric root), fresh ground coriander, some hing (aka asafoetida aka devil's dung) and 3 Tb of Olive oil. Worked those together, then added water until I had a kneadable feeling dough. Think pasta dough. Kneaded until it felt right.

Split the well kneaded dough in fourths then rolled into long tubes (as in the first link). Then cut the tubes into 4 pieces each. Boiled in two batches. They are done when the tubes rise to the top of the water. They took 4 minutes each (almost exactly).

Now they are resting. I will make a delicious spicy gravy later and fry these up.

But of course I sampled the dumplings. Good. Not "finished" tasting yet, needs the next step, but very good and I feel like these garbanzo bean flour based dumplings open a new world of possibilities.

An Indian version should be insanely good. But I think I could use the same dumpling base and spin the flavor in all manner of directions. Almost no limit.

High protein. Cheap. Gluten-free (although I used my grain mill, so I would not risk serving this to someone with gluten issues), easy to make, and seems like it is going to be quite tasty.

Planning to use my homemade crème fraîche as part of the gravy base. Cardboard would taste good served with crème fraîche. LOL.

What do you think @bibiche?

Something new for me.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 12:51 PM, Spy Car said:

Did the same (and for my first time) making the drinkable Swedish youghurt-like drink called "Filmjölk." I'd never had Filmjölk before. But Siggis Dairy makes it so I picked up a bottle and used it to start my own batch. I was surprised that my first batch of homemade was even better tasting (to me anyway) than the store-bought. I suspect that's because I likely let it culture longer (3 days) that they did. Siggis is a thinner and a little more mild. The homemade is still "drinkable" texture wise, but thicker than Siggis and has more flavor. Filmjölk is a little on the "sweeter" side vs "tangy." It would be very excellent blended with some fresh fruit IMO.

Bill

11DMW3ZvTNL.jpg

I am interested in trying my hand at making Filmjölk. So, is the procedure similar to making yoghurt? Should I buy the siggi's starter and follow the same procedure? And can I culture new batches of Filmjölk from my homemade version or do I have to use the store bought version as a starter every time? I appreciate any tips ... Thanks!

4 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Sounds good to me! And may I recommend panisses, which are another tasty food made from chickpea flour? 

Of course you may. I knew tagging you on this was a good idea. The panisses look good. All variations on a theme using chickpea flour.

Other than an ancient experiment of mine where I purchased besan flour with the idea of making falafels (that I don't recall having turned out well) chickpea/garbanzo bean flour has not been a pantry item in my arsenal.

Got to correct that.

Thanks for the tip.

Bill

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I am interested in trying my hand at making Filmjölk. So, is the procedure similar to making yoghurt? Should I buy the siggi's starter and follow the same procedure? And can I culture new batches of Filmjölk from my homemade version or do I have to use the store bought version as a starter every time? I appreciate any tips ... Thanks!

The difference is that the Filmjölk ferments at room temp. So it is classed as a "mesophilic" culture where traditional youghurt prefers 110 f.

The Filmjölk doesn't thicken as much as traditional youghurt, so is a "drinkable" type of fermented milk. As I mentioned, my version (that I let go for 3 days and I used 2% vs Siggi's 0% fat) turned out a little thicker and more cultured tasting.

I plan on just using one batch of homemade to make the next moving forward (and am in progress on batch #2). I can't imagine why not? New to me.

Should I need a fresh starter, I could always get a fresh Siggi's. Less expensive than buying a starter and it gave me a base of comparison.

i do think kids or people who find kefir or youghurt a bit too much taste wise, might like Filmjölk. it is less assertive than the other two, "sweeter" if you will, and would be perfect if one was looking for a base to blend with fruit.

Making it could not be easier. Let us know if you do. 

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

The difference is that the Filmjölk ferments at room temp. So it is classed as a "mesophilic" culture where traditional youghurt prefers 110 f.

The Filmjölk doesn't thicken as much as traditional youghurt, so is a "drinkable" type of fermented milk. As I mentioned, my version (that I let go for 3 days and I used 2% vs Siggi's 0% fat) turned out a little thicker and more cultured tasting.

I plan on just using one batch of homemade to make the next moving forward (and am in progress on batch #2). I can't imagine why not? New to me.

Should I need a fresh starter, I could always get a fresh Siggi's. Less expensive than buying a starter and it gave me a base of comparison.

i do think kids or people who find kefir or youghurt a bit too much taste wise, might like Filmjölk. it is less assertive than the other two, "sweeter" if you will, and would be perfect if one was looking for a base to blend with fruit.

Making it could not be easier. Let us know if you do. 

Bill

Thank you! I will pick up some Siggi's on my next grocery shopping trip. I plan to make it - I already drink plain kefir and am looking for variety. I use this recipe and substitute kefir for the buttermilk to make a large batch and refrigerate: https://www.seriouseats.com/south-indian-neer-more-spiced-buttermilk-drink-recipe

I will certainly let you know how my Filmjölk turns out ...

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Thank you! I will pick up some Siggi's on my next grocery shopping trip. I plan to make it - I already drink plain kefir and am looking for variety. I use this recipe and substitute kefir for the buttermilk to make a large batch and refrigerate: https://www.seriouseats.com/south-indian-neer-more-spiced-buttermilk-drink-recipe

I will certainly let you know how my Filmjölk turns out ...

Do you use asafoetida in your drink?

This would go well with what I'm planning for our meal tonight. Think I'll make some. I'm out of curry leaf. Need to re-supply.

Bill

Do you use asafoetida in your drink?

This would go well with what I'm planning for our meal tonight. Think I'll make some. I'm out of curry leaf. Need to re-supply.

Bill

Yes, the powder form only. The resin form will clump and not dissolve well and create very strong odors! I add the asafetida powder and the crushed ginger to the hot oil seasoning rather than to the buttermilk. So, when I heat the oil and add the mustard seeds (I use the black Indian ones), I add the curry leaves (you can omit if you don't have any) and then when it is done, I turn off the heat and add the asafetida and the crushed ginger to the hot oil - this takes away the very strong odors and makes the spices steep in the hot oil thereby imparting more aroma to the drink! Try it, it is supposed to be a cooling drink for hot summers (also Chaas: the north indian version, slightly different in the flavorings, still delicious and goes well with Filmjölk, kefir or thinned out yoghurt: https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/chaas-recipe-buttermilk-recipe/

).

Edited by mathnerd

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

If you haven't read this, Bill, it's time you did.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26590277-the-new-wildcrafted-cuisine

I'm fermenting limes at the moment so in, oh, maybe six months, I can try some Cambodian recipes.

Thanks for the suggestion Rosie. I'll seek that one.

I'm about 5 months into fermenting a big jar of lemons. Grown by a friend of my wife's in Arizona. They were the perfect type to pickle.

When I was a boy my best friend's parents were from Indonesia. Mom was Dutch (mixed) and his dad was Armenian. The mom was the best cook. Made big meals of Indonesian food daily. So exotic for 1960's suburban America. My friend wanted hamburgers (trying to assimilate, I guess) but I loved her food so much. I was welcome to eat with her anytime (and did). She was one of the people who got me interested in cooking. I went on shopping trips with her to Chinatown and would help cook.

My friend's dad pickled lemons and limes. He would salt them, cover with juice, and then leave them in jars in the hot sun for a long time. They were so good.

They went perfectly with the mom's meals. I always figured these were an Indonesian food item. Only later did I find out they were and Armenian thing and he was doing some "fusion." It worked.

Mine are just about ready. i'll think of Mr and Mrs G when I enjoy them. Both of memory now. 

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Yes, the powder form only. The resin form will clump and not dissolve well and create very strong odors! I add the asafetida powder and the crushed ginger to the hot oil seasoning rather than to the buttermilk. So, when I heat the oil and add the mustard seeds (I use the black Indian ones), I add the curry leaves (you can omit if you don't have any) and then when it is done, I turn off the heat and add the asafetida and the crushed ginger to the hot oil - this takes away the very strong odors and makes the spices steep in the hot oil thereby imparting more aroma to the drink! Try it, it is supposed to be a cooling drink for hot summers (also Chaas: the north indian version, slightly different in the flavorings, still delicious and goes well with Filmjölk, kefir or thinned out yoghurt: https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/chaas-recipe-buttermilk-recipe/

).

Sounds amazing. I have a local shop that usually has (at least did pre-Covid) fresh curry leaf. Could be hit and miss, but I'll try to score some. I have hing in both forms so I'll use the powder.

Bill

Sounds amazing. I have a local shop that usually has (at least did pre-Covid) fresh curry leaf. Could be hit and miss, but I'll try to score some. I have hing in both forms so I'll use the powder.

Bill

Since you are a gardener, you could grow a curry leaf tree in SoCal if you are interested in South Indian cooking. They require the same care as a citrus tree. Most Indian shops carry seedlings and you can order the plant online at Logees. I got one at Exotica Rare Fruit nursery when I was in San Diego a long time ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Since you are a gardener, you could grow a curry leaf tree in SoCal if you are interested in South Indian cooking. They require the same care as a citrus tree. Most Indian shops carry seedlings and you can order the plant online at Logees. I got one at Exotica Rare Fruit nursery when I was in San Diego a long time ago.

So the curry leaves you use are from your own tree? That is cool.

I'm going to explore the idea. I finally got a Greek bay laurel in the ground. It came over a year ago as a tiny twig and I'd nurtured it in a pot til it was ready.

How big does a curry tree get. Can they be kept small? I'd love to have access to one in the yard.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

5 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

So the curry leaves you use are from your own tree? That is cool.

I'm going to explore the idea. I finally got a Greek bay laurel in the ground. It came over a year ago as a tiny twig and I'd nurtured it in a pot til it was ready.

How big does a curry tree get. Can they be kept small? I'd love to have access to one in the yard.

Bill

I have seen some curry leaf trees (Murraya Koenegii) 6-8 few feet tall in the bay area, but it hates the winters here. I keep mine in a large Oak barrel planter close to a brick wall of my house and it survives fine and does rather well in the summers. Mine is around 4 feet tall and I keep it trimmed in order to get a more wider tree with more branching (more leaves).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I have seen some curry leaf trees (Murraya Koenegii) 6-8 few feet tall in the bay area, but it hates the winters here. I keep mine in a large Oak barrel planter close to a brick wall of my house and it survives fine and does rather well in the summers. Mine is around 4 feet tall and I keep it trimmed in order to get a more wider tree with more branching (more leaves).

Tomorrow I'm going to explore the yard and see if there is a spot I could shoehorn one in.

Be a nice addition.

Thanks for the idea.

Bill

6 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It'll make you weep, Mate.

I thought that book looked familiar. As chance would have it, I had another book by Pascal Baudar called Wildcrafter Fermentation on "hold" as an ebook with my library and it just became available.

So this morning I've been reading his other one. I need to search further for the The New Wildcrafted Cuisine, the one on ferments is very interesting and I placed a hold on his follow up to the ferment one called The Wildcrafting Brewer.

I will be on the hunt for The New Wildcrafted Cuisine.

Bill

Update: I was able to place a hold for a physical copy of The New Wildcrafted Cuisine. Thanks again!

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

@Spryte I thought I would point you to this excellent book I read when I was coaching food science for SO last year. He is very inspirational in his writing about fermentation. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Fermentation-Flavor-Nutrition-Live-Culture/dp/1603586288/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw47eFBhA9EiwAy8kzNJA7GvFKtEZmiIFkB-4JNYMTNMdJf7MhTpCnQj4pYLOd6J7nOje0vRoCZpYQAvD_BwE&hvadid=177144917952&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9031350&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=3479670802225147924&hvtargid=kwd-132948962&hydadcr=16156_9795893&keywords=wild+fermentation&qid=1622045333&sr=8-1

and 
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Fermentation-Depth-Exploration-Essential/dp/160358286X

Anyways, I actually like kim chi, etc. Unfortunately I am sensitive to histamine so I had to stop with anything fermented as it was triggering migraines and hives in me when I "indulged."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2021 at 10:25 AM, Spryte said:

Oh, great idea!  Our farmer’s markets are just starting up, so I’ll check those out.

And, yes, I’m reluctant to try fermenting my own stuff.  Visions of the childhood kimchi experience, aaack.  My doc keeps encouraging it, but ... eh.  Nope. 🤣

That would be memorable. Have you tried dill sauerkraut? I don’t mind kimchi, but I don’t love it. To me, dill sauerkraut tastes very unlike other sauerkraut. Wild Brine is my favorite. 

Similarly, gingerade kombucha is the most tolerable to me. Do you like ginger?

Adding in The Cultured Coconut probiotic is a great idea if you can tolerate the sulfur smell/taste.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

That would be memorable. Have you tried dill sauerkraut? I don’t mind kimchi, but I don’t love it. To me, dill sauerkraut tastes very unlike other sauerkraut. Wild Brine is my favorite. 

Similarly, gingerade kombucha is the most tolerable to me. Do you like ginger?

Adding in The Cultured Coconut probiotic is a great idea if you can tolerate the sulfur smell/taste.

Adding those ideas to my list of things to try, thanks!

Still awaiting an eval on the MCAS, so we can really move forward.  I am at least getting yogurt in most days, for now.

• Like 1

I recently learned about the FAILSAFE diet, developed in Australia. The elimination phase takes out salicylates and amine foods (including histamine). 

My DH has had years of weird food problems. He got hives from black raspberries as one example (now I know they're super high in salicylates). We've never been successful figuring things out bc everything seemed to bother him. Unfortunately he's really doctor-averse. 

For about a year he's had gut issues, and also eczema or something on his elbows that comes and goes. It even fluctuates day to day, sometimes hour to hour. We started the FAILSAFE elimination diet 5 days ago and the eczema is GONE!!  I would not have imagined something like this bc we eat "healthy"... So the tons of veggies I was making to help him actually was doing the opposite. 😕

Anyway, maybe something to try to gather clues! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kanin said:

I recently learned about the FAILSAFE diet, developed in Australia. The elimination phase takes out salicylates and amine foods (including histamine). 

My DH has had years of weird food problems. He got hives from black raspberries as one example (now I know they're super high in salicylates). We've never been successful figuring things out bc everything seemed to bother him. Unfortunately he's really doctor-averse. 

For about a year he's had gut issues, and also eczema or something on his elbows that comes and goes. It even fluctuates day to day, sometimes hour to hour. We started the FAILSAFE elimination diet 5 days ago and the eczema is GONE!!  I would not have imagined something like this bc we eat "healthy"... So the tons of veggies I was making to help him actually was doing the opposite. 😕

Anyway, maybe something to try to gather clues! 

Thanks!  That’s really interesting, and the problems your DH was experiencing sound familiar.  I’m so glad it’s helping your DH! I will look it up.

11 hours ago, Spryte said:

Thanks!  That’s really interesting, and the problems your DH was experiencing sound familiar.  I’m so glad it’s helping your DH! I will look it up.

Yes! I hope it helps. The FAILSAFE acronym is:  free of additives, low in salicylates, amines and flavour enhancers (failsafe)

It's really been completely throwing me for a loop, because I was bound and determined to "fix" things by feeding him as healthy a diet as possible, and for that I was convinced that meant a ton of fruits and vegetables, some meat, and no dairy or gluten. The elimination diet for FAILSAFE allows oats, wheat, rice flour, buckwheat, butter, milk, legumes (lentils and some beans), meat, very specific veggies and only ONE fruit - PEELED pears. HUH?! So, the complete opposite of what I've been doing for months... no, years!

I thought, this is ridiculous and will totally backfire. But what I was trying was so far not working either, and I had no idea why. It was so, so frustrating.

So when his eczema started improving the very next day, I was shocked, to say the least!!

The goal is to eliminate things that can aggravate - like additives in medicines/cosmetics/etc., but also in food. Then, to do a series of "challenges" to see what exactly is a problem, and then how much of it you can tolerate. So, if you can eat some amines, you can have some chocolate but not tons, and maybe not every day. The goal is not to stay on a super restricted diet forever. There's also an active Facebook group if you want to join.

Of course this isn't helping with the WHY of why this gut/skin stuff started happening in the first place... damaged gut from antibiotics? Random chance? Genetic predisposition? Maybe it's not the solution but I'm hoping it at least keeps helping!

Here's the link to the elimination diet. The diet comes from the Royal Prince Alfred hospital in Sydney, and you can buy the books that go along with it, although it's $50 shipping to the US. http://www.failsafediet.com/the-rpah-elimination-diet-failsafe/ (Use a computer to look at the link, it doesn't size well on a phone or tablet.)

Another (more confusing to me) website is: https://www.fedup.com.au/factsheets/support-factsheets/how-to-start-failsafe-eating