Menu

Help me learn to love this type of food

Spryte

22 hours ago, Spryte said:

I need to eat more fermented foods.  I want to do it, but I just don’t prefer them.  At all.  Ugh!

I could go into the reasons, but they are not important.  (Ok, the worst one involves a childhood experience involving a very sweet neighbor who made kimchi every Sunday for the entire 18 mos we lived next door.  We shared a wall, and everything, I mean everything, in our home smelled like kimchi. Clothes. Toys.  Bedding. The only escape was walking outside to a sea wall, where the wind was pretty strong.)

Kombucha has been a major fail - Admittedly I’ve only tried commercial brands.  

So, if one wanted to slowly introduce some fermented foods, what would be the easiest way?  

In all seriousness, the willingness to devote yourself to trying goes a very long way.  Have you tried Wildbrine's krauts? They're my favorite.  If you like the taste of dill, try that one.  

You're doing your gut a huge favor.  I used the Cultured Coconut and then try to eat cultured foods every day, but I love the 'bucha. 😉 

• Like 1

I do like fermented foods, so it's not a problem for me.  (But there are definitely other foods I don't like, so my thinking here is going back to that.)

I'm a "changing slow" person.  I might add some chopped pickles to my egg salad or hotdogs.  I add a LOT of things to smoothies, because smoothies can weirdly hide so many flavors that alone I wouldn't like.  You could probably add fermented drinks and yogurt to your smoothie, and as long as the smoothie had other strong-tasting ingredients that you DO like, you won't even pick up on the other tastes.

Also, is sourdough bread a fermented food?  I think it is.  I love sourdough bread toasted.

• Like 1

To echo @Jean in Newcastle, for improved gut health without the fermentation, I've been buying a bag of organic super seeds (combo of ground flax seeds, chia seeds, and hulled hemp seeds). It's good on salads, but lately, I've been adding a spoon to my oatmeal. It doesn't affect the taste much--maybe makes it a little more nutty, though it does make the texture thicker. It's an easy way to add more variety of plant foods in the healthy gut department.

• Like 3

@Spryte As direct fall-out from your thread, I finally broke down and ordered myself a proper fermentation crock (with a water lock). 

I hope you get good news regarding ferments for yourself, seems wise to heed the cautions of fellow boardies until you check with your physician.

I raise a cup of nice fresh brewed coffee in salute to you!

Bill

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

@Spryte As direct fall-out from your thread, I finally broke down and ordered myself a proper fermentation crock (with a water lock). 

I hope you get good news regarding ferments for yourself, seems wise to heed the cautions of fellow boardies until you check with your physician.

I raise a cup of nice fresh brewed coffee in salute to you!

Bill

Well, now you’ve done it.  Link?  Isn’t it against the rules to skip posting the link to a new kitchen tool?

Cheers!  

(Coffee in hand)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Well, now you’ve done it.  Link?  Isn’t it against the rules to skip posting the link to a new kitchen tool?

Cheers!  

(Coffee in hand)

I was trying not to be too much of a dark sider. LOL.

I will link two (ETA: Now 3). First the more economical choice ($55 range). A "generic" one made in China (there must be 6 versions, at least, of the identical model on Amazon sold under different brand names) that I'm sure is totally fine. It has a very slight disadvantage of having an interior lip at the top of the chamber where food might get stuck and which could make cleaning and unpacking food a wee bit harder. Seems like minor niggles, these seem like the best deal, but I went for a different option.

https://www.amazon.com/Fermentation-Crock-Jar-Liter-Gallon/dp/B07FDS3FL1/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=fermentation+crock&qid=1618851123&sr=8-5

The one I got is a TSM Harvest Fiesta 5 liter. $72. It is handmade in the Czech Republic. The sides are fully straight (no lip). Doubt it works any better, but....

https://www.amazon.com/TSM-Products-31040-Harvest-Fermentation/dp/B00H4BFGAW/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=fermentation+crock+tsm&qid=1618851516&sr=8-6

Actually, I did consider a German one--nice design--but the price was too dear for me (it did however assuage my guilt for the extra $20 I spend for the Czech model).

https://www.amazon.com/Kerazo-Keramik-German-Fermenting-Crock/dp/B00K7ILDQ0/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=fermentation+crock+german&qid=1618851683&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&smid=A1ZV0MQZ1KVGV7&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFSVVdWVEpOVUNJUFomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNjkyNDcxMUhTMlowOVNISUNQJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NzYxNzgzRVhBVEtBNDhYOEFXJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Thanks 1

@Spryte I just wanted to thank you for the thread.

My 5l Czech fermentation crock arrived last night. Thing of beauty. I've wanted one of these forever, the thread got me off the dime.

I think I will probably do a red sauerkraut w/ apples seasoned with juniper berries and caraway seeds for my first ferment. Need to go marketing. That will be so strange (after 13 months in "lockdown"). Yea Science!

Also have a couple bottles of red wine to turn into vinegar. I hope you get the issue settled with your physician settles as to whether fermented foods are good for you (or not), but you did motivate me. Thanks again!

Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spy Car said:

@Spryte I just wanted to thank you for the thread.

My 5l Czech fermentation crock arrived last night. Thing of beauty. I've wanted one of these forever, the thread got me off the dime.

I think I will probably do a red sauerkraut w/ apples seasoned with juniper berries and caraway seeds for my first ferment. Need to go marketing. That will be so strange (after 13 months in "lockdown"). Yea Science!

Also have a couple bottles of red wine to turn into vinegar. I hope you get the issue settled with your physician settles as to whether fermented foods are good for you (or not), but you did motivate me. Thanks again!

Bill

Sounds yummy!

Don’t we have a rule about posting recipes when discussing food?!  Or am I guessing that you are a throw it together and it tastes amazing, no recipe needed, chef?  

Keep us posted on how it turns out!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bibiche said:

@Spy Car I think you made the right choice. I do have a Kerazo K&K and it’s great (and happily I got it for a song), but I have the straight sided one similar to yours. I’ve used the curved K&K and find it harder to pack. Happy fermenting!

I got a batch started. Red cabbage, a few apples, a couple beets, flavored with juniper berries, caraway seeds, touch of nutmeg, clove, and allspice. Plus Korean sea salt.

I was almost surreal for me to go marketing today. My first time since the pandemic food shopping in person.

I do like the crock a lot. Easy to pack. Nice looking IMO. The K&K German ones do appeal to me (quite a bit), but I don’t regret the choice of the Czech version.

While shopping today I saw a dark Czech beer, so—while on a theme—I grabbed a bottle and am trying to ferment in into a beer/malt vinegar. We’ll see how that works out.

Bill

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I got a batch started. Red cabbage, a few apples, a couple beets, flavored with juniper berries, caraway seeds, touch of nutmeg, clove, and allspice. Plus Korean sea salt.

I was almost surreal for me to go marketing today. My first time since the pandemic food shopping in person.

I do like the crock a lot. Easy to pack. Nice looking IMO. The K&K German ones do appeal to me (quite a bit), but I don’t regret the choice of the Czech version.

While shopping today I saw a dark Czech beer, so—while on a theme—I grabbed a bottle and am trying to ferment in into a beer/malt vinegar. We’ll see how that works out.

Bill

Nice. My favorite part (besides eating the finished product) is when the “blooping” starts. Who knew that such a tiny noise could be so ridiculously satisfying?

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Sounds yummy!

Don’t we have a rule about posting recipes when discussing food?!  Or am I guessing that you are a throw it together and it tastes amazing, no recipe needed, chef?  

Keep us posted on how it turns out!

Sorry. Overall I did about 5 lbs of veggies. 2300 grams. So I did measure the salt, which I did at a 2% ratio, so 46 grams of salt. I tasted it once I had it mixed and I think that’s about the salinity I’ve have done “by taste,” but I didn’t want to muck it up. 2% seems like the middle path. I may (or may not) make adjustments moving forward.

Tasted pretty good unfermented. 

The apples and beets and spices all all things that a good German might use. But I winged the amounts.

Bill

• Like 1

I hate when DH eats kimchi. It stinks up the whole house and he thinks it goes on everything. I eat most foods but I haven’t given kimchi much of a chance because the smell is SO strong. (It gives me flashbacks to ramp season in childhood.) Dd makes it for him because she used to work at a Korean restaurant. 

I’d go the yogurt rout if strong smells and vinegary flavors don’t do it for you. Eat it straight, put it in a smoothie, marinate with it, or cook with it. When I’m too lazy to make it I buy the half gallon Indian type at Costco. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Nice. My favorite part (besides eating the finished product) is when the “blooping” starts. Who knew that such a tiny noise could be so ridiculously satisfying?

I’m especially happy that I’ll have the blooping of gas going out plus a water barrier to keep air from going in.

Especially with warmer weather coming. Hate the idea of having a batch go moldy.

Otherwise It is very satisfying to have stuff come alive.

Bill

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

I hate when DH eats kimchi. It stinks up the whole house and he thinks it goes on everything. I eat most foods but I haven’t given kimchi much of a chance because the smell is SO strong. (It gives me flashbacks to ramp season in childhood.) Dd makes it for him because she used to work at a Korean restaurant. 

I’d go the yogurt rout if strong smells and vinegary flavors don’t do it for you. Eat it straight, put it in a smoothie, marinate with it, or cook with it. When I’m too lazy to make it I buy the half gallon Indian type at Costco. 

My wife has requested kimchi. I’ve had good luck in the past. Wanted to start this crock launch with something more basic.

And Kim chi can be stinky. I do like it.

I wish I could ferment more buttermilk at home without becoming a buttermilk fiend. Weird to have zero control over buttermilk of all things, but we all have our weaknesses I suppose.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

@Spryte any news on whether fermented foods are approved/disapproved by your physician?

@bibiche Just now I pulled the first batch of red sauerkraut that I've name in my new fermentation crock. Been waiting for just the right level of tang.

Also cultured some fresh heavy cream that's ready today (using a little Knudsen buttermilk) to make  some crème fraîche. Crème fraîche is a culinary powerhouse. Like sour cream (in a way) but much more flavorful and it won't "break" if one cooks with it (making sauces, etc). Delicious! And easy. Just put fresh cream in a jar, poured in a little buttermilk and left it for 3 days (2 days would have sufficed, but I wanted it extra-cultured.

Did the same (and for my first time) making the drinkable Swedish youghurt-like drink called "Filmjölk." I'd never had Filmjölk before. But Siggis Dairy makes it so I picked up a bottle and used it to start my own batch. I was surprised that my first batch of homemade was even better tasting (to me anyway) than the store-bought. I suspect that's because I likely let it culture longer (3 days) that they did. Siggis is a thinner and a little more mild. The homemade is still "drinkable" texture wise, but thicker than Siggis and has more flavor. Filmjölk is a little on the "sweeter" side vs "tangy." It would be very excellent blended with some fresh fruit IMO.

Bill

11DMW3ZvTNL.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spy Car said:

@Spryte any news on whether fermented foods are approved/disapproved by your physician?

@bibiche Just now I pulled the first batch of red sauerkraut that I've name in my new fermentation crock. Been waiting for just the right level of tang.

Also cultured some fresh heavy cream that's ready today (using a little Knudsen buttermilk) to make  some crème fraîche. Crème fraîche is a culinary powerhouse. Like sour cream (in a way) but much more flavorful and it won't "break" if one cooks with it (making sauces, etc). Delicious! And easy. Just put fresh cream in a jar, poured in a little buttermilk and left it for 3 days (2 days would have sufficed, but I wanted it extra-cultured.

Did the same (and for my first time) making the drinkable Swedish youghurt-like drink called "Filmjölk." I'd never had Filmjölk before. But Siggis Dairy makes it so I picked up a bottle and used it to start my own batch. I was surprised that my first batch of homemade was even better tasting (to me anyway) than the store-bought. I suspect that's because I likely let it culture longer (3 days) that they did. Siggis is a thinner and a little more mild. The homemade is still "drinkable" texture wise, but thicker than Siggis and has more flavor. Filmjölk is a little on the "sweeter" side vs "tangy." It would be very excellent blended with some fresh fruit IMO.

Bill

11DMW3ZvTNL.jpg

No news yet, for me.  Awaiting tests and  results.  I’ll know more in a few weeks.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Does yogurt bother you? My dietician - and I can’t remember the logic of it now - suspects that I may have a little histamine reaction tendency based on how I feel after eating yogurt (makes my stomach hurt).

I’ll have to pay attention and take note.  I’ve been having trouble pinning down specific triggers.

12 hours ago, Spryte said:

No news yet, for me.  Awaiting tests and  results.  I’ll know more in a few weeks.  

I hope you get the right answer soon. Ideally, you will be able to join us on the darkside (or as we like to say, the "cultural" elite :tongue:).

I also hope you are spared from you neighbor's cold. What was he thinking??? Grrrrr.

You inadvertently sparked all sorts of fermentation experiments around here. Did I mention the fermenting hot peppers that are in process (to make hot sauce?).

@bibiche I know that you know what crème fraîche is. As I re-read my pp that wasn't clear, as I started speaking about the marvel of this soured cream to the general "you" hoping someone might try making this delicious and invaluable foodstuff (especially since it could not be easier).

Bill

5 minutes ago, Spryte said:

So happy it’s been an inspirational thread.  I’m ready to head over to the dark side as soon as the doc gives the all clear.

In the meantime, keep updating us the experiments.  😁 They sound yummy.

I was about to ask if it was OK to keep this thread alive (and reporting on experiments) or if it was torture?

A week back, on my very first major shopping trip to my favorite supermarket--Armenian owned chain that specializes in serving a wide variety of "ethnic" communities with real food--I saw some nice looking Habanero chilies. Hot!

Decided, why not ferment some and make some kick-ass hot sauce? 

I ended up lightly grilling about a third of them (leaving the others fresh) then cutting them all up, deveining and de-seeding (to mitigate some of the heat) and then doing a 3.5% brine (based on the weight of the chilies and water weight to cover). And added some garlic slices.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but what could possibly go wrong? :tongue:

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I was about to ask if it was OK to keep this thread alive (and reporting on experiments) or if it was torture?

A week back, on my very first major shopping trip to my favorite supermarket--Armenian owned chain that specializes in serving a wide variety of "ethnic" communities with real food--I saw some nice looking Habanero chilies. Hot!

Decided, why not ferment some and make some kick-ass hot sauce? 

I ended up lightly grilling about a third of them (leaving the others fresh) then cutting them all up, deveining and de-seeding (to mitigate some of the heat) and then doing a 3.5% brine (based on the weight of the chilies and water weight to cover). And added some garlic slices.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but what could possibly go wrong? :tongue:

Bill

Sounds delicious!

7 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Sounds delicious!

I have high hopes for it . Smells good!

Meanwhile, I just discovered that my large jug of homemade Filmjölk has been nearly decimated. Seems like my kid has inherited his father's love of cultured milk products. Fortunately there is enough left to serve as culture for another batch. What do they get up to at night?

Bill

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spy Car said:

I have high hopes for it . Smells good!

Meanwhile, I just discovered that my large jug of homemade Filmjölk has been nearly decimated. Seems like my kid has inherited his father's love of cultured milk products. Fortunately there is enough left to serve as culture for another batch. What do they get up to at night?

Bill

Teen boy?

The teen boy here has given meaning to the words “hollow leg.”  Now I get it.

Just now, Spryte said:

Teen boy?

The teen boy here has given meaning to the words “hollow leg.”  Now I get it.

Yep. 16 pushing 17. Skinny, but boy can he pack it away.

Getting tall. Over 6 feet now and keeps gaining on me. He's not quite there yet, but we will celebrate when he passes me by.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

@bibiche I know that you know what crème fraîche is. As I re-read my pp that wasn't clear, as I started speaking about the marvel of this soured cream to the general "you" hoping someone might try making this delicious and invaluable foodstuff (especially since it could not be easier).

Bill

Of course, and we usually have some (homemade) on hand.  I didn’t know what filmjölk was though, so thanks! We’ll give it a try.

Question on your sauerkraut: I’ve never tried it with red cabbage. Did it turn an unappetizing color? Was it very delicious? I’m about to go to the market and my crock is empty, so I’m considering whether to be daring and try red or stick to my traditional white cabbage.

Edited by bibiche

On 4/15/2021 at 8:16 AM, Spryte said:

Kombucha has been a major fail - Admittedly I’ve only tried commercial brands.  

GT's Mystic Mango (or something like that?) is an excellent gateway kombucha. Its so good you don't even realize its supposed to be healthy. Bonus, it doesn't have a nasty after taste like some of the store bought ones do. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bibiche said:

Of course, and we usually have some (homemade) on hand.  I didn’t know what filmjölk was though, so thanks! We’ll give it a try.

Question on your sauerkraut: I’ve never tried it with red cabbage. Did it turn an unappetizing color? Was it very delicious? I’m about to go to the market and my crock is empty, so I’m considering whether to be daring and try red or stick to my traditional white cabbage.

No, it remained a very nice color. A slight fade from the starting point,more translucent, but very appealing color. I did add some beets, which may have contributed color-wise, but commercially made red sauerkraut (w/o beets) looks the same to me.

Next time I think I'll omit the beets. I love beets, but the "earthiness" made be want to extend the ferment to mitigate that quality. IFKWIM? I'm very happy with the results. White cabbage is good too. 

I only heard of filmjölk recently. Similar to other drinkable youghurt-like dairy, but leans towards being "sweet" in it's fermented quality rather than sour. My homemade was thicker (and I think tastier) than Siggis straight out of the bottle (which was also good). That surprised me. Need to start a new batch. The filmjölk is something that would pair nicely with blended fruit (or even jam), although I'm generally a fan of plain. it is different enough from kefir that it's worth a shot trying. Siggis filmjölk is less bold tasting and thinner than the average kefir, which could cut both ways depending on ones preferences. The homemade (multi-day) spits the difference.

Bill

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

No, it remained a very nice color. A slight fade from the starting point,more translucent, but very appealing color. I did add some beets, which may have contributed color-wise, but commercially made red sauerkraut (w/o beets) looks the same to me.

Next time I think I'll omit the beets. I love beets, but the "earthiness" made be want to extend the ferment to mitigate that quality. IFKWIM? I'm very happy with the results. White cabbage is good too. 

I only heard of filmjölk recently. Similar to other drinkable youghurt-like dairy, but leans towards being "sweet" in it's fermented quality rather than sour. My homemade was thicker (and I think tastier) than Siggis straight out of the bottle (which was also good). That surprised me. Need to start a new batch. The filmjölk is something that would pair nicely with blended fruit (or even jam), although I'm generally a fan of plain. it is different enough from kefir that it's worth a shot trying. Siggis filmjölk is less bold tasting and thinner than the average kefir, which could cut both ways depending on ones preferences. The homemade (multi-day) spits the difference.

Bill

I’m not a huge fan of kefir, which to me tastes rather like pulque minus the slime. (Although maybe I’m wrong because DH detests kefir but adores pulque). I look forward to trying filmjölk. 

10 minutes ago, bibiche said:

I’m not a huge fan of kefir, which to me tastes rather like pulque minus the slime. (Although maybe I’m wrong because DH detests kefir but adores pulque). I look forward to trying filmjölk. 

I've never known another human being--other than the late Don Pedro Linares, a Mexico City folk artist who took me to his favorite pulquerías in DF--who has consumed pulque :tongue:

The first time I tried it, I sensed all eyes (males eyes only, no women allowed in pulquerías) were on me, figuring I'd gag. Insted it tasted to me like alcoholic buttermilk and I sucked it down and ordered another. After that I was "in." I do remember the walk "home" from La Pantera Rosa being a bit challenging. LOL.

For those who have no idea what pulque is, it is the ferment juice of the agave plant. Thick, milky and sour. Not strongly alcoholic, but if one drinks enough, it gets you there. Pulque when distilled turns into mezcal/tequila. But tastes like neither.

Bill    

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I've never known another human being--other than the late Don Pedro Linares, a Mexico City folk artist who took me to his favorite pulquerías in DF--who has consumed pulque :tongue:

The first time I tried it, I sensed all eyes (males eyes only, no women allowed in pulquerías) were on me, figuring I'd gag. Insted it tasted to me like alcoholic buttermilk and I sucked it down and ordered another. After that I was "in." I do remember the walk "home" from La Pantera Rosa being a bit challenging. LOL.

For those who have no idea what pulque is, it is the ferment juice of the agave plant. Thick, milky and sour. Not strongly alcoholic, but if one drinks enough, it gets you there. Pulque when distilled turns into mezcal/tequila. But tastes like neither.

Bill    

😂 Why does it not surprise me that you’re a pulque lover, with a story to go with? 😉 Well, if ever you need a pulque drinking partner, I have just the guy for you. He too has done an extensive tour of the pulquerías in CDMX and is disconsolate that there is no pulque (that he knows of) in the US. Apparently a company tried to can it and sell in the US once, but it didn’t go over well. But surely there must be someone who makes pulque in LA...?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bibiche said:

😂 Why does it not surprise me that you’re a pulque lover, with a story to go with? 😉 Well, if ever you need a pulque drinking partner, I have just the guy for you. He too has done an extensive tour of the pulquerías in CDMX and is disconsolate that there is no pulque (that he knows of) in the US. Apparently a company tried to can it and sell in the US once, but it didn’t go over well. But surely there must be someone who makes pulque in LA...?

I have never known of place that serves pulque in LA. Never.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia article on the man who introduced me to pulque. Pedro must have been 84 at the time. He outdrank me. But I did my best to keep up.A mistake. He died a couple years later. Nice man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Linares

Did your husband tell you how  pulquerías are set up? Perhaps they have restrooms (who knows?) as most have bathtubs in the rear (public area of the bar) where a man can relieve himself and--if one is too drunk to make it--there are tiled trenches just under one's barstool one can use for the same purpose. LOL.

Women are banned. Wonder why? It is like a world w/o women. They do accommodate "take-out" orders from women who have a taste for sour-fermented cactus juice at discreetly placed side pick up windows.

Even then (circa 1990), traditional pulquerías were becoming endangered in Mexico City, can't imagine why :tongue:

Bill

9 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Did your husband tell you how  pulquerías are set up? Perhaps they have restrooms (who knows?) as most have bathtubs in the rear (public area of the bar) where a man can relieve himself and--if one is too drunk to make it--there are tiled trenches just under one's barstool one can use for the same purpose. LOL.

Not just Mexico! https://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-mtblog-2010-04-thats_not_just_any_foot_rest_i-story.html

Pulque is pretty hipster now, so women can enjoy it in bars too. Flavored pulque is popular.

The stuff I learn here. So, this thread now has me looking up pulque and wanting to try some. I found this video on YouTube. So interesting. I wonder what it tastes like straight from the plant? I bet it’s good. The mango pulque looked so good. I don’t see how it could taste bad if it were very fresh. But, really, I just want a cup of it unfermented right from the plant. 

Pedro Linares must have been an interesting person to know! 

In one of the comments section in the video below, someone mentions a place called Ramirez Beverage Center in LA that does sell pulque in a can. Did you know of this, Spy Car? I’m sure it’s not the same as fresh, but it’s there in LA, supposedly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Or....grow our own agave plants? 🤔

Road trip would be more fun.

Funny you mention this, as I have a blue agave that I think is the right species (but I'd need to confirm) growing in my yard that has been on my "hit list" (despite being a beautiful specimen) because I find weeding around these spiky beasts problematic. Other big blue agaves have already been culled. 

I wonder how one juices agave? Couldn't be too hard to ferment the juice right?

The other twist is that--despite my misadventures with Don Pedro--I've never been much of a drinker and somehow during this lockdown I never bothered to resupply and seem to have lost my taste for the stuff. Definitely out of practice.

On the other hand, fresh pulque. Hmm.

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

In one of the comments section in the video below, someone mentions a place called Ramirez Beverage Center in LA that does sell pulque in a can. Did you know of this, Spy Car? I’m sure it’s not the same as fresh, but it’s there in LA, supposedly.

Not Bill, but from all accounts it’s vile and has nothing to do with fresh pulque. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bibiche said:

Not just Mexico! https://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-mtblog-2010-04-thats_not_just_any_foot_rest_i-story.html

Pulque is pretty hipster now, so women can enjoy it in bars too. Flavored pulque is popular.

LOL. That bar in Baltimore sounds very similar. Men without women. Where is Ernest Hemingway when we need him?

Even the traditional pulquerías back in the day offered fruit flavored pulque blends. I fully expected that the locals figured I'd gag on my first taste and ask for a fruit drink--which was offered from the get-go. But had I gone that route I'm also sure I'd have been considered a gabacho forever. LOL.

After knocking back a couple glasses of the real deal I felt I was "accepted," that is to say, if I "felt" anything. Pulque does make one sort of woozy :tongue:

Bill

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

The stuff I learn here. So, this thread now has me looking up pulque and wanting to try some. I found this video on YouTube. So interesting. I wonder what it tastes like straight from the plant? I bet it’s good. The mango pulque looked so good. I don’t see how it could taste bad if it were very fresh. But, really, I just want a cup of it unfermented right from the plant. 

Pedro Linares must have been an interesting person to know! 

Hey, that video was really helpful. Thanks.

It was a pleasure to know Don Pedro. His sons took up the craft of making paper-mache alebrijes (fanciful beasts) and the family has become quite famous among collectors. Pedro was cool and he still made figures of the local children to celebrate holidays and sold them for a pittance even after he was a known artist. 

Bill

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Funny you mention this, as I have a blue agave that I think is the right species (but I'd need to confirm) growing in my yard that has been on my "hit list" (despite being a beautiful specimen) because I find weeding around these spiky beasts problematic. Other big blue agaves have already been culled. 

I wonder how one juices agave? Couldn't be too hard to ferment the juice right?

The other twist is that--despite my misadventures with Don Pedro--I've never been much of a drinker and somehow during this lockdown I never bothered to resupply and seem to have lost my taste for the stuff. Definitely out of practice.

On the other hand, fresh pulque. Hmm.

Bill

You have to keep at least one plant, don’t you? I’m the same as you...just a small drink once in awhile. But pulque is so different. Truthfully, I probably wouldn’t like it. But the mango one, if it’s fresh...so curious about that. Lol.

Yes, I saw the link to your friend’s art. So beautiful.

49 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Not Bill, but from all accounts it’s vile and has nothing to do with fresh pulque. 

That’s disappointing to hear. I may be way off in having the idea that it would be anything similar to some kind of cactus water/juice. I’ve always wondered how that would taste, too. Cactus water, (or whatever it’s called) that is.

19 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I’m thinking you should try this with your agave plant if it’s the right kind and promptly let us know! 

I didn't realize that one hollows out the center and collects the juice from there. I'd assumed it would have been pressed from cuttings or that it was made from the central core.

I was out looking and the one agave I have left is throwing out "babies" at some distance from the mother plant.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

4 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I didn't realize that one hollows out the center and collects the juice from there. I'd assumed it would have been pressed from cuttings or that it was made from the central core.

I was out looking and the one agave I have left is throwing out "babies" at some distance from the mother plant.

Bill

You have baby ones! It’s amazing how much juice comes out of them. Wonder if they need to be a certain size? I bet they do.

5 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

You have baby ones! It’s amazing how much juice comes out of them. Wonder if they need to be a certain size? I bet they do.

Mine is medium sized, and would take a couple years to get to the size of the ones in the video, I'm guessing.

At the end of the block there is a new-ish house that was landscaped with the biggest agave that I've ever seen. Gigantic!

That house was used for the location of Paul Rodriguez's latest television series (which I presume is now cancelled). I never saw the show, but I bet the giant agave was featured. It is something to behold.

Bill