Menu

Hot waxing at home

prairiewindmomma

I have, years ago. Before kids. Then someone told me to try sugaring (you make the wax out of sugar on the stove), which doesn’t have to be hot and if you accidentally spread wax where you don’t want you can just wash it off. I followed some recipe on YouTube and liked that better. Then my mom suggested an epilator and she was right, that was better. Until I went a year without doing it and it was very painful the first time I tried again. Now I epilate at least quarterly so the roots never get really thick again. 

Wasn’t there a really funny thread on here (years ago) about a disastrous DIY bikini wax?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have been waxing at home for 20+ years.  My dad used to own a salon and bought me a professional kit.  I would never use an at home kit bought from Amazon.  2 tips are:  1.  Never, ever wax during your cycle.  Your skin is the most sentitive then.  I usually wait till a week or so after.  2.  Pull the skin tight with on hand and pull the strip quick with the other.  The slower you do it the more painful.

• Like 3

I've been using Gigi Hard Body Wax for a few years.  Not sure why you wouldn't want to use this - it works just fine? 
It hurts the worst the first time, but it's not bad after that.  And I agree to wait until you're not on your cycle.

Tips:
1. Use a waterproof pad or towel under the warmer and covering whatever surface you're working on to avoid getting wax everywhere.
2. Set the wax warmer on the lowest setting - you don't want it super-runny or it will be difficult to manage.
3. Oil yourself wherever you are planning to wax - the wax will stick to your skin if you don't.  I like vitamin-E oil.
4. Brush your body hair around first so that it is standing up-ish for the wax to adhere better.
5. Oil will take off the wax-bits residue too.
6. Use a lighted magnifier and good tweezers to get the stragglers.

There are lots of Youtube videos...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Katy said:

I have, years ago. Before kids. Then someone told me to try sugaring (you make the wax out of sugar on the stove), which doesn’t have to be hot and if you accidentally spread wax where you don’t want you can just wash it off. I followed some recipe on YouTube and liked that better. Then my mom suggested an epilator and she was right, that was better. Until I went a year without doing it and it was very painful the first time I tried again. Now I epilate at least quarterly so the roots never get really thick again. 

Wasn’t there a really funny thread on here (years ago) about a disastrous DIY bikini wax?

There was one that involved some kind of prescription drug I think 

I can’t remember the name right now