Menu

Any experience with Differin Gel for acne?

Ali in OR

I'm looking into this for my disabled dd. Stridex and Benzoil Peroxide help a bit, but I'm wondering if this might work any better. I do have to make sure there are no counter indications for people on seizure meds or who have seizures. If you've used it, did it help? Are you a fan?

It made my daughter's acne much worse. She tried it for a couple months. I think it was probably just too irritating for her. 

What's working pretty well now: 

Wash 2x daily with acne.org cleanser (very gentle).

Morning, apply 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel. Higher percentages make her break out more (again, irritation).

Nightly, rub face with ice cube. Pat dry.  Apply 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel.

Fresh pillowcase nightly (seems to make a big difference).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

It made my daughter's acne much worse. She tried it for a couple months. I think it was probably just too irritating for her. 

What's working pretty well now: 

Wash 2x daily with acne.org cleanser (very gentle).

Morning, apply 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel. Higher percentages make her break out more (again, irritation).

Nightly, rub face with ice cube. Pat dry.  Apply 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel.

Fresh pillowcase nightly (seems to make a big difference).

Yes, a fresh pillowcase each night also helped one of mine. 

• Like 2

7% glycolic acid has worked wonders for my oldest two. DS1 has mild acne and DS2 had moderate. It can be applied just once it twice a day. DS 1 has really bad clogged pores on his nose that we used prescription retin as but the glycolic acid works great as well and is so much easier to work with. We use the Ordinary brand. A bottle is $8ish at Ulta and lasts four of us using it for at least 6 weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IfIOnly said:

7% glycolic acid has worked wonders for my oldest two. DS1 has mild acne and DS2 had moderate. It can be applied just once it twice a day. DS 1 has really bad clogged pores on his nose that we used prescription retin as but the glycolic acid works great as well and is so much easier to work with. We use the Ordinary brand. A bottle is $8ish at Ulta and lasts four of us using it for at least 6 weeks.

Forgot! It's also non-drying and irritating! There's a slight sting when initially putting it on, but it's not bad. Rather that than dryness and irritation after application. 

• Like 2