Menu

dryer balls....which ones?

ProudGrandma

We have wool ones and they have completely replaced our fabric softener or dryer sheets. I think any wool ones would work but you want them to be kind of big and you want a lot of them. I need to buy more because some have disappeared and I can tell they aren't working as well without their buddies. 

7 hours ago, kfeusse said:

I need to replace the dryer balls I received as a gift years ago....but I have no idea how to pick which ones to buy.  Can someone help me know what I am looking for or how to pick?  Thanks 

We just bought ours from Amazon based on reviews.  They were very inexpensive.

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I have wool ones my beloved MIL gave me and I never use them. How do you know they're indicated? What difference do they make? 

I put a dab of vinegar in the rinse dispenser on the washer and typically have no problems with static.

I think they are supposed to help with drying time, not just static. 

**ETA: https://www.everydaycheapskate.com/use-wool-dryer-balls/

It can also help to put some already dry items in with the wet items. If you're drying towels, toss in a large dry towel; if you're drying t-shirts, toss in a couple of dry t-shirts. You could keep some old worn out items nearby to use over and over that everyone who launders in your home recognizes as items to boost drying time. Towels work the best, but they make pills on some items. 

Edited by kbutton
added link

22 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Usually socks or shirt sleeves if our wool dryer balls go missing.

LOL, yes, but we find those!  The first time one went astray my son found it in a pants pocket. He reached in and felt something furry... he had quite a moment before he realized what it was.  But I am consistently short one even after all the laundry is dealt with. I am wondering if someone has a fitted sheet stashed away with a ball hiding in it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

What does that mean? Like literally 8? So you're telling me that these two on the ledge in my laundry are just orphans, broken up from a larger set? Oh dear, families in disarray in my laundry! :biggrin:

We started with 8 and are down to 5. Where are they?? I'm sure they are lost in my kids' rooms in some item of clothing they don't like. Or my cats destroyed them.

But yeah, 8 worked well. I noticed more static when we got down to 6. I just bought another set because of this thread! I don't know what 2 would do for you. Maybe it would be ok if you have small loads? It doesn't give us the smell of fabric softener, but they eliminate most static and the laundry is softer than if you used nothing. We get crazy static if we don't use them or fabric softener. 

• Like 1