Menu

I miss scented products...(eczema related)

alisoncooks

Obviously, this is a non-serious  thread...but I really do miss scented stuff (especially laundry detergent). I recently made the switch to more gentle products, hoping to see an improvement in younger DD's eczema. So laundry stuff, soap, etc...all unscented. And it's just so *plain* (insert whining voice here*). 

The irony is: I'm pretty sensitive to smells (strong perfume gives me nausea and headaches), but I do love the scent of our laundry powder. *sigh*

That's all. (Or if you have an eczema kid, tell me of any triggers I may be missing.)

Edited by alisoncooks

Smell is a powerful sense, and I can see missing having that stimulation. Maybe you can seek it with alternative things, like baking, burnt toast, outdoor walks, etc. 😉  Pine bows outside the front door are the closest I can come to having a real tree at Christmas as dh is highly allergic. I stick my head in the pine whenever I need a little 'fix.' 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

• alisoncooks changed the title to I miss scented products...(eczema related)

I have an eczema kid.  She's twenty now, but those early years... rough.  Besides laundry detergent (we use All Free), making sure the clothes were 100% cotton made a huge difference.  I feel so bad about the problems some of those polyester dresses caused when she was little.  She would be up screaming in the middle of the night and we would have to lay wet wash cloths on her and lotion her.  Poor kid.  

Also, covered elastic.  (Hanna Andersson makes amazing underwear.)  And only hair bands that were either covered or not made of elastic.  Like those "poly bands".

Oh, and not trying on anything until it had been washed.  I cannot tell you the problems we had after she had tried on some stretchy black pants at the dance store.  Yeesh.  It was bad.

Finally, and  this may not apply to you, but my dd is also allergic to milk and eggs, and she does get eczema if she has them, even a little.

• Like 1

Interesting to read about the food allergies. Maybe I can get a referral for testing. Last year, after a big allergic reaction, followed by a stubborn eczema flair on her eyelids, she got tested for environmental allergies (cat, dog, certain grasses, trees). I asked about her eczema as a possible food reaction, and they basically blew me off. May be time to revisit that. 

Another FYI, CeraVe makes fantastic products to help with the eczema.  When dd was having problems getting rid of a flare up, her allergist recommended CeraVe, and that fixed it.  They make lotions and body washes and such.  Just great.

Also, we were told by our allergist never to use cortisone products on the face.  The skin is too thin, and cortisone thins skin.  My dd in fact has some spider veins on her cheeks from before we were told this (hadn't seen an allergist yet).

• Like 1

OP, while allergy testing might reveal foods causing eczema to flare, the problem may not be part of an IgE reaction.  If it's not IgE-related, typical allergy testing won't tell you anything.  If you think there's a connection, a food diary may be more helpful.  There are also various food sensitivity tests available, but insurance doesn't always pay. 

• Like 2

Alisoncooks, back to missing scents....  If you can't handle wearing or smelling perfume or scented lotions, but scented detergents are okay, you may be able to use hair conditioner as a scent on your hair, skin, and/or clothing.  It's much lighter than essential oils.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I’m six weeks post Covid and still can’t smell.  It’s a totally different reason, of course, but I find myself really missing scents too.

Wow, that's a long time!  I can't imagine, especially this time of year (Christmas seems to have more traditional scents than other times of the year). 

2 hours ago, klmama said:

OP, while allergy testing might reveal foods causing eczema to flare, the problem may not be part of an IgE reaction.  If it's not IgE-related, typical allergy testing won't tell you anything.  If you think there's a connection, a food diary may be more helpful.  There are also various food sensitivity tests available, but insurance doesn't always pay. 

This. BTDT.