Menu

After Anne of Green Gables series? Calling L. M. Montgomery fans

Teaching3bears

We have read all the books in the Anne of Green Gables series.  We are halfway through Rilla of Ingleside and loving it.  What should we read next?  I am debating between Chronicles of Avonlea or the Emily series? Or is there something else that would flow naturally from the Anne series?  I am wondering if there is an ideal order for L.M. Montgomery’s books.

I lean towards the Chronicles personally because it inhabits the same universe of characters. Emily is a complete standalone series which is a very nice series as well.

Also, a lot of people don't know that The Blythes Were Recorded was published in 2009. It was never published because she died after submitted the manuscript. It is the last in the Green Gables series. It might be hard to find. There are only 2 copies available to me in CA through the interlibrary lending system.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, calbear said:

I lean towards the Chronicles personally because it inhabits the same universe of characters. Emily is a complete standalone series which is a very nice series as well.

Also, a lot of people don't know that The Blythes Were Recorded was published in 2009. It was never published because she died after submitted the manuscript. It is the last in the Green Gables series. It might be hard to find. There are only 2 copies availabe to me in CA through the interlibrary lending system.

We have it at our library.  Is it good?  Some of the reviews said it was dark or not that good. 

Pat of Silver Bush/Mistress Pat. My favorites before #3 Rilla of Ingleside (which I have a love/hate relationship with). I don't think there is an ideal order.

There is a prequel to Anne written by someone else. It was ... different. If you like LM's flowy writing, you won't like the prequel. 

I read The Blythes Are Quoted but I don't remember what I thought. Probably too much poetry for me.

I enjoyed The Story Girl, too. I agree Emily's series is darker. I preferred Pat.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

I recently read A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter for the first time.  I thought it had a similar feel to Anne of Green Gables (and it is also a coming of age story with a neglected girl protagonist, a Marilla-like mother, and a Davy-like neighbor boy).  I haven't read her other books to comment on them, but it might be a hit with your family?

• Like 2

I really thought I would like Emily of New Moon, but... NO! Emily is NOT Anne; she is a bit more prickly and not quite as likable, but what I really was a bit horrified at is the creepy stalker-ish cousin of hers who is like 20 years older. He has a "thing" for her and even says he's waiting for her to grow up and they'll get married, and it is just NOT right. Even for the times, when someone might marry a cousin, or marry a person quite a bit older than yourself -- it's not that -- it's the creepy vibe he gives off...

However, if anyone is undaunted and wants to read Emily of New Moon, p.m. me with your address and I'll be happy to mail you my copy. I'll also include Montgomery's Blue Castle, which turned out to be a romance novel, and not my cup of tea. 😉 

• Like 4

And... a few ideas of books a bit similar to Anne of Green Gables:
- Understood Betsy (Fisher)
- Emily's Runaway Imagination (Cleary) -- authoress of the Henry & Ribsy/Ramona & Beezus books
- The Secret Garden (Burnett) 
- A Little Princess (Burnett)
- The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate; The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate (Kelly)
- Mandy (Edwards) -- by Julie Andrews -- Edwards is her married name
- Mischieveous Meg (Lindgren) -- Pippi Longstongings authoress
- Pollyanna (Porter) -- Eleanor H. Porter -- different Porter from the authoress of Girl of the Limberlost

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I really thought I would like Emily of New Moon, but... NO! Emily is NOT Anne; she is a bit more prickly and not quite as likable, but what I really was a bit horrified at is the creepy stalker-ish cousin of hers who is like 20 years older. He has a "thing" for her and even says he's waiting for her to grow up and they'll get married, and it is just NOT right. Even for the times, when someone might marry a cousin, or marry a person quite a bit older than yourself -- it's not that -- it's the creepy vibe he gives off...

However, if anyone is undaunted and wants to read Emily of New Moon, p.m. me with your address and I'll be happy to mail you my copy. I'll also include Montgomery's Blue Castle, which turned out to be a romance novel, and not my cup of tea. 😉 

I loved the stories as a kid but certainly reading it again as an adult that felt very weird. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

I will argue that the designation as a romance novel is quite inaccurate. While there is a romance, I view it more as a story of realizing that expectations are not requirements, and that the biggest thing keeping you from living the life you want is . . . you. You can spend your life worrying about what people will think of you, or you can live the life you want to live. Your life is still imperfect and sometimes heartbreaking, but it's your life.  

I think it does a very good job of depicting how it can seem nearly impossible to defy expectations - until you do, and then you marvel that it seemed so hard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I did not grow up loving Little Women.  I read it, but I always felt kind of meh about it.  

Lol my dds feelings toward it are more than Meh. I thought she’d find it relatable because she’s quite a Jo - not at all a girly girl.  Anyway so be it. I think the books were old fashioned in language in our day but the world has changed so much in the last 30 years that it’s even harder to relate.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

We have read all the books in the Anne of Green Gables series.  We are halfway through Rilla of Ingleside and loving it.  What should we read next?  I am debating between Chronicles of Avonlea or the Emily series? Or is there something else that would flow naturally from the Anne series?  I am wondering if there is an ideal order for L.M. Montgomery’s books.

You just quietly mourn the loss of Anne's stories and never read anything as magical ever, ever again.

None of Montgomery's other books hold a candle to the Anne stories, imesho. I actually recommend to others that they start with her OTHER books and END with Anne.

oh, and Rilla of Ingleside was the BESSSSST! ♥ Alllll the emotions. ♥

#stillinmourning

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 2