Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW47: Best of 2020

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dear hearts! 

"Reading is like breathing in, Writing is like breathing out" ~ Pam Allyn

What a wonderful quote!  Reading to me is as necessary as breathing and writing has become much the same. I get grumpy without my daily dose of words.  I am ever so thankful for books and those who make them possible from the writers to the publishers to the online and brick mortar stores from whom I can satisfy my bookish sweet tooth.  Especially writers, as we are the beneficiaries of their creativity. They inspire, entertain, enrich our lives, teach us how to do new things, enlighten us with knowledge, make us laugh or cry, and ponder the meaning of history and life.  

From classic literature to comic books, there is a wide variety to satisfy every reading palate. As we head into the end of the year, the best of 2020 lists are being released and the desire is great to fill our shelves, both virtual and physical, with the books we want to read. My year ends with an end of the year shopping extravaganza, before I institute a buying ban at the beginning of the new year.  Usually until April, sometimes longer, to give myself time to enjoy those which reside on my shelves for a bit before abandoning them to the temptation of the new. 

Ready for the best of the best?  Let's begin with New York Time's 100 Notable Books of 2020 and the 10 best books through time

According to Oprah, these are the best of 2020.

Financial Times shares their 20 best from crime to history to economics.

Esquire presents 44 of the best books to elevate your reading list

Electric Literature offers up 20 Small Press Books you may have missed in 2020.

Five Books shares a plethora of  top 5 lists from award shortlists to audiobooks.

And let's not forget the Greatest Books  of all time. 

Stay tuned to NPR's Book Concierge . They’ll will be coming out with their year end interactive reading guide for 2020 in a couple weeks. Meanwhile 2013 to 2019 lists are available. 

Have fun following rabbit trails. 

Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours! 

Link to week 46

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers  around the globe.

• Like 5

I'm currently reading Cherie Priest's Boneshaker (steampunk read)

"In the early days of the Civil War, rumors of gold in the frozen Klondike brought hordes of newcomers to the Pacific Northwest. Anxious to compete, Russian prospectors commissioned inventor Leviticus Blue to create a great machine that could mine through Alaska’s ice. Thus was Dr. Blue’s Incredible Bone-Shaking Drill Engine born.   But on its first test run the Boneshaker went terribly awry, destroying several blocks of downtown Seattle and unearthing a subterranean vein of blight gas that turned anyone who breathed it into the living dead.

Now it is sixteen years later, and a wall has been built to enclose the devastated and toxic city. Just beyond it lives Blue’s widow, Briar Wilkes. Life is hard with a ruined reputation and a teenaged boy to support, but she and Ezekiel are managing. Until Ezekiel undertakes a secret crusade to rewrite history.

His quest will take him under the wall and into a city teeming with ravenous undead, air pirates, criminal overlords, and heavily armed refugees. And only Briar can bring him out alive."

Also ebook - Seanan Mcguire's Every Heart a Doorway, #1 in her Wayward Children series. 

Birthday books received from my guys yesterday:  Towers of Midnight, #13 in the Wheel of Time, Elizabeth Bear's Ancestral Night, Stephen King's The Gunslinger, Louise Erdrich's The Round House, Brandon Sanderson's The Way of the Kings, and Deborah Crombie's All Shall be Well.    Look forward to reading them all in the new year. 

We watched The Dark Tower last night which was really, really good and Matthew McConaughey did an excellent job as the evil bad guy, the man in black while Idris Elba was perfect for the gunslinger. Tom Taylor played the boy Jake Chambers and had us all nervous and scared as he was. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, negin said:

Don't Burn This Book: Thinking for Yourself in an Age of Unreason - 4 Stars - In today’s world, the ability to think for oneself is like a breath of fresh air and needed more than ever before. I appreciated the author’s humility and vulnerability. Although he doesn’t have an amazing writing style, he writes from the heart. Plus, it helped that I enjoyed his sense of humor. This book covers a wide range of topics, and, as with anyone, I don’t agree with him on everything. I had hoped that the book would offer more practical advice as to how to stand up for oneself in this age of unreason. That’s my only criticism. In all fairness, he does encourage the reader to not be intimidated, to not feel the need to stay silent, and, most importantly, to remain respectful when it comes to differences of opinion.

Sounds like an interesting book and to the bolded, appreciate all the quotes.  I enjoy hearing what everyone thinks about the books read but sharing the actual subject quotes which have actually lead to a lot of division in our lives, may not be appropriate for this thread. We are trying to stay politically neutral here on the thread as we have a diverse group and these quotes aren't neutral by any means and some feel uncomfortable with the quotes posted. I'd hate for it to create contention on the thread so I'd really appreciate it if you could remove the quotes and link to your goodreads instead.  

• Like 1

My book group has read a lot of dark stories of late, and the possibility of reading some less depressing books was raised. To address that, I collected a few resources to share with the group. Perhaps they will interest some here ~

A Dozen Uplifting Books for Book Clubs

https://www.bookbrowse.com/blogs/editor/index.cfm/2015/6/16/A-Dozen-Uplifting-Books-for-Book-Clubs

20 Uplifting Books That Will Improve Your Mood

https://www.sssnoolife.com/20-uplifting-books/

Here's a mega list

http://www.positivelygoodreads.com/my_reviews/my_book_list.html

Looking for quality literary fiction that isn't depressing

https://ask.metafilter.com/315010/Looking-for-quality-literary-fiction-that-isnt-depressing

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A simple reminder to all that we have a diverse group who read a wide variety of books and schools of thought.  Although WTM has a no political policy, 52 books is more open and we do have reviews of books we read on the political spectrum which others may not agree with or find offensive in some shape or form. I personally learned from the issues in the past to respect those reviews and not comment on the content, leaving that up to the members of the group to discuss if they choose. And you all have done a wonderful job of staying politically neutral when it comes to discussions.  I would appreciate it if we stick with the politically neutral comments and not post content from the books themselves.   Most of our readers find BAW to be a haven of safety and book talk, free from the animosity.   Let's try to keep it that way. 

• Like 5

So what have I been reading?

A few weeks ago there was a BaW challenge that I can’t remember the title of beyond my result was that I needed to read a book with a gargoyle in it. That lead me to checking the first book in a beloved urban fantasy series out on Overdrive............Heart of Stone https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1240131.Heart_of_Stone?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=bPG7cEFbus&rank=2 has Alban the gargoyle who I still love. Planning to try and read the rest in this series as we wrap up the year.

I am also reading a fun cozy set in 1920’s England at a house party. Just Make Believe is the third in a series that I have became very fond of. It’s a bit different as the detective duo is a young widowed Lady and her ghostly philandering husband. 🤷‍♀️It works really well!😂.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50196747-just-make-believe

And finally my book on audio......Follett’s almost 25 hour long feast of 913 England. I am entranced by The Evening and the Morning.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49239093-the-evening-and-the-morning?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=VW9YVXxe0X&rank=1

• Like 4

Today I finished two very different books.

For my old book group that I was invited to rejoin via Zoom, I read Saturday by Ian McEwan which we'll be discussing tomorrow. It was an incredibly introspective novel. I'll be interested to learn what the others have to say about it.

"In his triumphant new novel, Ian McEwan, the bestselling author of Atonement, follows an ordinary man through a Saturday whose high promise gradually turns nightmarish. Henry Perowne–a neurosurgeon, urbane, privileged, deeply in love with his wife and grown-up children–plans to play a game of squash, visit his elderly mother, and cook dinner for his family. But after a minor traffic accident leads to an unsettling confrontation, Perowne must set aside his plans and summon a strength greater than he knew he had in order to preserve the life that is dear to him."

I also finished the contemporary romance Lies and Lullabies (Hush Note Book 1) by Sarina Bowen which I enjoyed. (Adult content)

"Once upon a time, he gave me a summer of friendship, followed by one perfect night. We shared a lot during our short time together. But he skipped a few crucial details.

I didn’t know he was a rock star.

I didn’t know his real name.

Neither of us knew I’d get pregnant.

And I sure never expected to see him again.

Five years later, his tour bus pulls up in Nest Lake, Maine. My little world is about to be shattered by loud music and the pounding of my own foolish heart."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Kareni said:

My book group has read a lot of dark stories of late, and the possibility of reading some less depressing books was raised. To address that, I collected a few resources to share with the group. Perhaps they will interest some here ~

A Dozen Uplifting Books for Book Clubs

https://www.bookbrowse.com/blogs/editor/index.cfm/2015/6/16/A-Dozen-Uplifting-Books-for-Book-Clubs

20 Uplifting Books That Will Improve Your Mood

https://www.sssnoolife.com/20-uplifting-books/

Here's a mega list

http://www.positivelygoodreads.com/my_reviews/my_book_list.html

Looking for quality literary fiction that isn't depressing

https://ask.metafilter.com/315010/Looking-for-quality-literary-fiction-that-isnt-depressing

Regards,

Kareni

Darn you, missy. 😘    I'll be spending hours with the mega list, adding books to my stacks.  Oh, that one looks good, no that one. 

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

So what have I been reading?

A few weeks ago there was a BaW challenge that I can’t remember the title of beyond my result was that I needed to read a book with a gargoyle in it. That lead me to checking the first book in a beloved urban fantasy series out on Overdrive............Heart of Stone https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1240131.Heart_of_Stone?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=bPG7cEFbus&rank=2 has Alban the gargoyle who I still love. Planning to try and read the rest in this series as we wrap up the year.

I adore Alban. Such a good series.  Enjoy! 

3 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Beautiful quote Robin. Identify strongly with the first, the second one is so much of a disappointment because I have so many stories I want to say, but I lack the ability to flesh it out and it is not for lack of trying. Some day I hope to find the time to sit for a writer's class before I give up once and for all. 

Books though have always been a source of joy for me. They are essential to my very being though it makes it sound quite pompous to say that. But I found that to be true when I had to move with all that mattered to me in 2 suitcases and half of one suitcase was books. The other held music. My books and my music have helped me create "home" wherever in the world I was. 

On that note, just want to wish all on this thread a Happy Thanksgiving. I am taking a bit of a break next week and may not be around much. I panic joined a homeschool board thinking I would prepare in case we decided to when the world shut down. We never did HS, but I unexpectedly found a group of people who love books like I do and discussing them. I have read more genres and become bolder in my reading thanks to this thread. So thank you for being a bright spot in this craziest of years and thank you Robin ever so much for this thread. 

If you have the desire to write, I have a few tricks up my sleeve that may assist you.  If you go blank when you look at the computer screen, an empty document, go to paper instead and see if your thoughts flow better that way. Firstly, try Julia Cameron's Artist Way and her morning pages.  She says first thing in the morning, but I'm a morning, noon, or night gal. Whenever it fits in.  Sit down with pen and paper and let your thoughts flow. Don't censor, just write. Get used to writing the free flow of idea because you tackle a story.  In order to flesh out a story, if you have an idea, start with 30 scenes.  Brainstorm. Whatever comes to mind, like a mind map.  Eventually you'll see a shape.  And if you don't see a shape. start anywhere.  I once started a story with a scene in the middle, then worked my way backwards to the beginning.   One thing you'll discover when you start writing, is the characters will take over. Which can lead to some to some aha moments.  And don't censor yourself.  Put your internal editor in a box or where ever you'd like to place him/her and just write. A first draft is all about discovery.    And maybe read a book or two that isn't the structure and elements of writing, but about the desire to write.  Besides Julia Cameron, Writing Begins with the Breath by Larraine Herring, or Sage Cohen's Fierce on the Page are both wonderfully Inspiring.  As well as Ray Bradbury's Zen and the Art of Writing.  Oh, and if you want to write really short stories, try Flash Fiction or Nonfiction.  Look for Dinty Moore's Rose Press Field guide to Flash Non fiction.

~Cheers~

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

I finished my reread of the Alex Craft books by Kalayna Price.  I'm waiting for the last one, Grave War, to come out this week, just in time for the holidays. Also on Tuesday comes the latest Nalini Singh Guild Hunter book Archangel's Sun.  I'm so curious what happens with the Hummingbird. I also read Fatal Fraud by Marie Force.  If you've read the rest of the series, you need to read this book, the epilogue is one heck of a spoiler!  

I was really disappointed the Ilona Andrews tabled the release date for the second book in the Iron Covenant series because of covid, but I have plans for a reread of their Kate Daniels series before Blood Heir comes out in January.  Otherwise I'm just plodding along.  

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

I finished my reread of the Alex Craft books by Kalayna Price.  I'm waiting for the last one, Grave War, to come out this week, just in time for the holidays. Also on Tuesday comes the latest Nalini Singh Guild Hunter book Archangel's Sun.  I'm so curious what happens with the Hummingbird. I also read Fatal Fraud by Marie Force.  If you've read the rest of the series, you need to read this book, the epilogue is one heck of a spoiler!  

I was really disappointed the Ilona Andrews tabled the release date for the second book in the Iron Covenant series because of covid, but I have plans for a reread of their Kate Daniels series before Blood Heir comes out in January.  Otherwise I'm just plodding along.  

Preordered Archangel's Sun. Looking forward to it. 

What? Andrews delayed the release. Poo. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

I am someplace in the middle in the Fatale Force series and I have to admit Fatel Fraud has me tempted ......of course I probably need to read six books to get to that point!

I can’t remember if I posted it or not but I did read the latest in Andrew’s Hidden Legacy series last week and thought Emerald Blaze was way better than the last couple of books in that series.

• Like 3

Today I finished  Minor Mage by T. Kingfisher which was an enjoyable novella. The author says that she thinks of it as a children's book; however, others feel otherwise. I can see that it has appeal over a wide range of ages.

"Oliver was a very minor mage. His familiar reminded him of this several times a day.

He only knew three spells, and one of them was to control his allergy to armadillo dander. His attempts to summon elementals resulted in nosebleeds, and there is nothing more embarrassing than having your elemental leave the circle to get you a tissue, pat you comfortingly, and then disappear in a puff of magic. The armadillo had about wet himself laughing.

He was a very minor mage.

Unfortunately, he was all they had."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Today I finished  Minor Mage by T. Kingfisher which was an enjoyable novella. The author says that she thinks of it as a children's book; however, others feel otherwise. I can see that it has appeal over a wide range of ages.

"Oliver was a very minor mage. His familiar reminded him of this several times a day.

He only knew three spells, and one of them was to control his allergy to armadillo dander. His attempts to summon elementals resulted in nosebleeds, and there is nothing more embarrassing than having your elemental leave the circle to get you a tissue, pat you comfortingly, and then disappear in a puff of magic. The armadillo had about wet himself laughing.

He was a very minor mage.

Unfortunately, he was all they had."

Regards,

Kareni

This sounds cute!  All an author needs to do is add in an unusual animal and  I become interested in their book.  Anyway I have it marked to read after I get through attempting to fulfill my planned challenges for 2020.  I finished my A to Z Title Challenge late last night.  I publish the list as soon as I get it recorded someplace beyond a Goodreads shelf.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Melissa M said:

By the way, guess who was selected to be a virtual reader in the New Bedford Whaling Museum’s annual Moby-Dick Marathon? So excited!

Congratulations, I've been to that museum! When is the marathon, and can we tune in from afar or do we need to be members? Is Do you know what part you will read, or do you wait until the person before you loses their voice and just pick up from there?

The quote reminds me of a skit my girls giggle about:

Breathe out

Breathe out

Breathe out

Now go enjoy your new body!

@Robin M

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Congratulations, I've been to that museum! When is the marathon, and can we tune in from afar or do we need to be members? Is Do you know what part you will read, or do you wait until the person before you loses their voice and just pick up from there?

The quote reminds me of a skit my girls giggle about:

Breathe out

Breathe out

Breathe out

Now go enjoy your new body!

@Robin M

I’m reading Chapter 106, Ahab’s Leg. Here’s the schedule: https://1thz9pe6wg37jz9s1eei99om-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/2021-MDM25-ReadingTimetable-with-Pages.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Melissa M said:

Oh, I’d *love* this! Thank you, @The Accidental Coach and Robin M!

Thinking February in France and start for Dumas read? 

3 hours ago, Melissa M said:

By the way, guess who was selected to be a virtual reader in the New Bedford Whaling Museum’s annual Moby-Dick Marathon? So excited!

I'll put it on the calendar to remind everyone. Hopefully we'll be able to tune in. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Thanks to a call from a contact tracer and subsequent need to quarantine, I’ve got not much to do, so jumped on the forums for a play day today. I’ve missed you gals!

Waving hi! Have missed you too.  Sorry you need to quarantine but at least you'll get caught up with reading.  Lots of interesting books! 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

Interweb wonderings. 

The joy and uneasiness of an empty museum - I personally would enjoy being able to wonder through a near empty museum with time to sit and contemplate and absorb the art. 

Walking With Ghosts by Gabriel Byrne review – an elegy for Ireland - I think I need to spend a bit of time armchair traveling through Ireland next year, the home of my ancestors. 

Proust and why we read  - Another author I plan to highlight and read in 2021. 

Booker Prize – masterful Scottish working-class story Shuggie Bain wins in most diverse year yet

A Brief History of Dragons Throughout Western Literature --  I think I'll do another round of dragons for one of my 10 x 10 for 2021

• Like 3

I finished FIVE books last week:

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate -- Not a bad book, but not one of my favorites.  I liked the characters, but something just seems to be missing from this book.

Evil Under the Sun -- A really good Agatha Christie.  

The White Stag -- I didn't really like this one at all.  This book is an award winner, so maybe I went in with hopes too high.  It just felt underdeveloped...

Bonhoeffer -- Such a great book!  If I had known this book was so long, I might not have requested it; however, it was well worth the time that it took to read.  I knew nothing of Bonhoeffer going into this and I'm sorry that I had never heard his story before.  

The Explosive Child -- This was recommended on a thread somewhere on the WTM.  I have a child who has difficult moments.  This book gave some insights into what I already suspected about her.  Now to implement what I've read...

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie The White Stag by Kate Seredy Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas The Explosive Child by Ross W. Greene

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

A Brief History of Dragons Throughout Western Literature --  I think I'll do another round of dragons for one of my 10 x 10 for 2021

I will join you!  I was looking at my 2020 planning notes earlier tonight and still haven’t really touched my plans for the dragon theme.  Tea with a Dragon was the book that got me started and I still haven’t read it!  Thanks to some series reading I can probably close this years dragon 10 and consider it done which means I get to start fresh.   https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/435415.Tea_with_the_Black_Dragon?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=TqisTVmI0L&rank=1 

I am currently rather hurriedly trying to stuff books in categories while reading things I have had on old.  I am loving Moonflower Murders but it’s 600 pages long.  I did know that when I let it skip to me on Overdrive. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51179955-moonflower-murders 

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

Nothin new or exciting here.

Audio: Murder in Chelsea by Thompson.  I am evidently determined to read through her Gaslight series which seems to be endless - good for audio though.

Reading: The Rembrandt Affair by Silva

I am off for four whole days. Maybe I should tackle Middlemarch again or something substantial?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Robin M said:

While adding ebooks to my virtual stacks, bought several involving libraries and book stores - evil happenings, murder, mystery so now one of my 10 x 10 is Fines and misdemeanors.  😋

😂 Love that title..........I suspect I could tag along on that one too.  Robin please keep the ideas flowing my way!

• Like 2

So happy today. Haven't been able to read much this past few days but I hope for life to settle down on Friday. I took the morning to look online for DS's Christmas present. He wants an older set of books and I have struggled finding something affordable. I have found collectors sets, leather bound sets, autographed sets but nothing DH and I could afford. I logged into Ebay and someone had just listed a full set of 6X9 paperbacks in mint condition. I made an offer and it was accepted. Now I just have to get through the anxiety of waiting for them to arrive and making certain they are in top quality as advertised.

I'm currently listening to a Debbie Macomber holiday romance. This is my first romance book in about 15 years (or longer). I'm struggling through Lab Girl which I have promised myself I would finish before starting the next Terry Pratchett book.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Kareni said:

If you buy Kindle books, this might be of interest ~

Spend $25 on ebooks, Get $6 ebook credit
Offer runs November 23-30. Preorders ineligible unless published by the 30th.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you! Just bought an eclectic assortment of ebooks including All Systems Red.  

Contributing to the delinquency of all your pocketbooks:  

Required reading: The books that students read in 28 countries around the world

The Favorite Literary Work of Every Country Visualized on a World Map

Why You Should Read Literature From Around The World

12 Novels Considered the “Greatest Book Ever Written”   Continue to scroll down for more fun reads including 10 Captivating Contemporary Novels Set in the British Isles.

And fall down the rabbit hole with

As If to Demonstrate an Eclipse: Comedian Chuck Nice Reads Billy Collins’s Ode to the Quiet Wellspring of Gratitude

😘

• Like 3

Question for 2021's Bookology.  Since I gave the women  (ladies of fiction bookology) all the love this year, is it fair to give the male writers all the love or should I include both male and female for our reading and /or spelling pleasure?  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Question for 2021's Bookology.  Since I gave the women  (ladies of fiction bookology) all the love this year, is it fair to give the male writers all the love or should I include both male and female for our reading and /or spelling pleasure?  

Personally I am fine any way you do it.  That said I don’t think any of us have suggested any women for the developing theme.....i don’t think you need to go hunting for a woman......if one feels right go for it.

Taking that back.....Austen or Bronte might have been mentioned.  Can’t remember.  They get plenty of love so I wouldn’t worry overly about featuring them.

• Like 2

I am thinking of divesting myself of books, not purchasing more, but I couldn't resist this one for Thanksgiving (see below) since I love poetry and I have two out of four who love watercolors. AND SINCE DH HAS A JOB OFFER in hand, I can now shop for books for Christmas, LOL. And can be most heartily thankful this Thanksgiving Day!! I am currently reading Sally Clarkson's "The Life-Giving Table," which fits right in with the theme of thankfulness and valuing family connections.

For dragons, two suggestions. Naomi Novik's series beginning with His Majesty's Dragon, and also Rachel Aaron's series beginning with Nice Dragons Finish Last. Fun stuff!

The Lost Spells, by Robert MacFarlane and Jackie Morris - 

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Spells-Robert-MacFarlane/dp/1487007795/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lost+spells&qid=1606365601&sr=8-1

• Like 4

@mumto2  Gorgeous!  

15 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

I am thinking of divesting myself of books, not purchasing more, but I couldn't resist this one for Thanksgiving (see below) since I love poetry and I have two out of four who love watercolors. AND SINCE DH HAS A JOB OFFER in hand, I can now shop for books for Christmas, LOL. And can be most heartily thankful this Thanksgiving Day!! I am currently reading Sally Clarkson's "The Life-Giving Table," which fits right in with the theme of thankfulness and valuing family connections.

For dragons, two suggestions. Naomi Novik's series beginning with His Majesty's Dragon, and also Rachel Aaron's series beginning with Nice Dragons Finish Last. Fun stuff!

Happy to hear Hubby has a job offer!  Thank you for the dragon suggestions.  Added both to my virtual stacks. 

• Like 4

I think I figured out my 10 x 10 for 2021.  

Alternate realities (science fiction)
Around the world (exploring other cultures, translated books, etc) 
Be still my heart  (romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, etc)
Clocks and Corsets (Steampunk) 
Dragons and other fantastical beasts
Fines and Misdemeanors (stories and crimes around libraries and bookstores)
Get thee to a nunnery  (involves nuns, priests, etc)
Into the past (historical fiction)
Magic and mystery (Fantasy)
Swashbucklers (daring adventures)

I'm still thinking about the bookology spelling challenge- maybe go back to something similar like I did with the blossom or birthstone which makes it more open ended and provides plenty of rabbit trails.  I'm in a steampunkish sort of mood so will explore that route a bit as see what I come up with.  😁

• Like 5