Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW47: Best of 2020

Robin M

On 11/25/2020 at 8:08 PM, Kareni said:

You've made me curious, @The Accidental Coach. Do you care to share what set of books you are giving your son?

Regards,

Kareni

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I had never heard of it but the books are being made into a television series and the price of older editions has skyrocketed. We were hoping to be able to find hardbacks but couldn't find anything in our price range. I also was hoping for the original cover artwork which is quite interesting. B&N has a newer set with blah covers.

Have you ever heard of it?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I had never heard of it but the books are being made into a television series and the price of older editions has skyrocketed. We were hoping to be able to find hardbacks but couldn't find anything in our price range. I also was hoping for the original cover artwork which is quite interesting. B&N has a newer set with blah covers.

Have you ever heard of it?

I am currently reading the 13th book in the Wheel of Time series and hopefully finish the series next year. It's readily available on Amazon, hardback, large paperback and paperback.  It is an epic fantasy series and most of the books are quite chunky.   Lots of characters, world building, battles, magic.  Originally came out in the 90's.  

• Like 3

Happy day after turkey day. Are you stuffed and tired, lazing around.  Yep, me too.  Interweb wonderings this morning. 

Now is the time to Strengthen Reading Habits - a few good tips 

Add some art history mysteries to your stacks   The 11 Biggest Unsolved Art Mysteries of All Time  and the top 20 recommended fiction books on art by Stephanie Storey

The best romance books of 2020, so far

Nine novels that defined steampunk

List of Steampunk literature

I already have H.G. Well's Time Machine in my stacks and I couldn't resist and added K.W. Jeter's Morlock Night and Infernal Devices to my virtual stacks along with Emma Jane Holloway's Baskerville series. 

• Like 3

@Robin M  Thank you! I copied the Bingo onto my new BaW Challenge section in notes and am getting ready to start some serious planning.  I will definately be borrowing some 10 categories ......but need to change out some for my cozy mystery habit.😉

I also finished Moonflower Murders by Anthony Horowitz and it was long.......but really good. It has a complete separate cozy mystery in the center of it and I will admit I dispared ever finishing. My kindle counting pages went wonky on this one and I showed barely any progress after reading for a couple of hours which increased the frustration. But I loved the cozy and really enjoyed the who did it wrap ups of both books. Lots of the kind of clever bits like anagrams for character names etc. It was probably a bit too long and could have been edited down a bit.......I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads but 4.5 stars is probably the real rating.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51179955-moonflower-murders

• Like 4

I am working on my records to wrap up 2020.  This is my spelling challenge for November....

C........Catherine House by Elizabeth Thomas

H........A Pretty Deceit by Ann Lee Huber

E........The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife, and the Missing Heir by PM Eatwell

R........The Constant Rabbit by Jasper Fforde

I.........Emerald Blaze by Ilona Andrews

E........Venum by Jennifer Estep

P.........A Murderous Procession by Ariana Franklin

R........Just Make Believe by Maggie Robinson

I..........It Begins In Betrayal by Iona Whishaw

E.........Murder is Easy by Agatha Christie

S........Blind Search by Paula Munier

T........My Heart’s True Delight by Grace Burrows

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

On 11/27/2020 at 5:20 PM, mumto2 said:

@Robin M  Thank you! I copied the Bingo onto my new BaW Challenge section in notes and am getting ready to start some serious planning.  I will definately be borrowing some 10 categories ......but need to change out some for my cozy mystery habit.😉

I also finished Moonflower Murders by Anthony Horowitz and it was long.......but really good. It has a complete separate cozy mystery in the center of it and I will admit I dispared ever finishing. My kindle counting pages went wonky on this one and I showed barely any progress after reading for a couple of hours which increased the frustration. But I loved the cozy and really enjoyed the who did it wrap ups of both books. Lots of the kind of clever bits like anagrams for character names etc. It was probably a bit too long and could have been edited down a bit.......I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads but 4.5 stars is probably the real rating.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51179955-moonflower-murders

I have read many Anthony Horowitz books this year. I'll be adding Moonflower Murders to my TBR list.

• Like 2

More completed lists......

A to Z by Title’s ..... 2020

A......Aurora Blazing by Jesse Mihalik

B......Beating About the Bush by MC Beaton

C......The Chinese Shawl by Patricia Wentworth

D......Death by Chocolate by GA McKevett

E......The Earl Takes a Fancy by Lorraine Heath

F......False Value by Ben Aaronovitch 

G.....Gator Bait by Jana Deleon

H.....Have His Carcase by Dorothy L. Sayers

I.......Imaginary Numbers by Seanan McGuire