Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW46: Bookish Birthdays and Notes

Robin M

Happy Sunday, my lovelies. Today is I Love to Write Day so grab your pens or pencils and write a note, a poem, a letter, get back to work or start working on that novel you've been planning forever. Your muse is waiting for you.  Are you ready for an interesting exercise?  All you have to do is put pen to paper and answer the question, "Writing is like..." And no, writing isn't like a box of chocolates. *grin* 

Meanwhile it's time for another round of author birthdays.  

Nov 15: German novelist  Gerhart Hauptmann who won the 1912 Nobel Prize in Literature and poet Marianne Moore  winner of the1951 Pulitzer Prize. 

Nov 16 George S Kaufman, playwright and journalist as well as Portuguese novelist José Saramago, 1998 Nobel Prize winner, and Nigerian author Chinua Achebe.

Nov 17:  Dutch Poet Joost van Den Vondel and civil war historian Shelby Foote.

Nov 18: Canadian novelist Margaret Atwood and British dramatist Sir W.S. Gilbert.

Nov 19: Poet Allen Tate.

Nov 20: Swedish novelist Selma Lagerlöf, 1909 Nobel Prize winner, and South African novelist Nadine Gordimer, 1991 Nobel Prize winner.

Nov 21:  French Philosopher Voltaire,  and American feminist author, Marilyn French.

World Philosophy Day is coming up on Thursday, November 18 and a perfect time to dive into the mind of the 12 Famous Philosophers and Their Guiding Principles.  Perhaps add one or two to your reading list for next year. 

Many book events around the world have turned to celebrating online this year and The Miami Book Fair's special events starts today with many authors interviews available on demand.  As well as  Portland Book Festival (November 5th through the 21st.), the Gaudeamus Book Fair in Romania (November 16th to the 22th) and  Dublin Book Festival 2020 (November 27th through December 6th.)

The Baillie Gifford Prize 2020 longlist has been released for the best in Nonfiction with the winners to be announced November 15th and the winners of the 2020 National Book awards Longlist will be announced on November 18. 

Celebrate Native American Heritage Month  with Everybody Reads 2020: Native Voices: Own voices memoir, poetry and novels by Indigenous people or 31 Native American Authors to Read Right Now.

Have fun following rabbit trails!

Speaking of next year, it’s time to start brainstorming ideas for readalongs, bingo categories, armchair travels, author of the month, etc.  

~Cheers~

Link to week 45

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers  around the globe.

• Like 6

The Gathering Storm is now my main read with all others put to the side.  Decided I needed a break from the ereader because the distractions are just too many.  Besides I have a great many books on my physical stacks I've been meaning to read this year so need to whittle a few more down.

"Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle. As he attempts to halt the Seanchan encroachment northward--wishing he could form at least a temporary truce with the invaders--his allies watch in terror the shadow that seems to be growing within the heart of the Dragon Reborn himself.

Egwene al'Vere, the Amyrlin Seat of the rebel Aes Sedai, is a captive of the White Tower and subject to the whims of their tyrannical leader. As days tick toward the Seanchan attack she knows is imminent, Egwene works to hold together the disparate factions of Aes Sedai while providing leadership in the face of increasing uncertainty and despair. Her fight will prove the mettle of the Aes Sedai, and her conflict will decide the future of the White Tower--and possibly the world itself."

We watched the next movie in the Marvel Universe - Black Panther - which was excellent!

• Like 6

@DreamergalI don't know how old these are and if it is possible to link them. But I would love to have a look at them if possible. You really do come up with the best challenges.

You may have to read through the the first post of the month from each year for the details but here are the main posts for the years we went around the world

2019 was a rambling road trip 

2018 - We did a year long Brit Trip put together by @mumto2and @aggieamy

2017 Themes and authors - spelunking around the world

2016 Themes and authors - Sailed around the world

2015 Themes and authors -  Backpacking

2014 Themes and authors - armchair traveled through the centuries

2013 Reading across the continents - For example Gadding about South America

2012 Alphabet soup

Take a look at the menu bar which has all the main challenges which includes bingo 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

Some bookish posts ~

Jo Walton’s Reading List: October 2020

https://www.tor.com/2020/11/09/jo-waltons-reading-list-october-2020/#comment-890800L

5 SFF Books About Star-Crossed Lovers

https://www.tor.com/2020/11/09/5-sff-books-about-star-crossed-lovers/

CENSORETTES: THE WOMEN WARTIME CENSORS WHO KEPT THE ALLIES SAFE AND UNCOVERED A NEST OF SPIES IN BROOKLYN

https://crimereads.com/censorettes-the-women-wartime-censors-who-kept-the-allies-safe-and-uncovered-a-nest-of-spies-in-brooklyn/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hello! It’s been a while since I checked in; in fact, apparently, it’s been monthsI was at 151 books on August 5, wondering if 208 might be attainable. Well, it was: With Max Brooks’ frivolous but fun Devolution, I reached 208. Rather than paste notes on the fifty-seven books I’ve read since I last participated in the BaW thread, I’ll just include notes on 192 through 202 and a list of 203 through 208. (Notes later.) Today, I will finish a book from the Hogarth Shakespeare series, New Boy.

Edited to add: I’ve read 138 books from my shelves this year. Woot!

Leopoldstadt (Tom Stoppard; 2020. Drama.)
Read to prepare for Deep Dive: Tom Stoppard’s Leopoldstadt, presented by the Court Theatre and the University of Chicago.

The Bacchae of Euripides: A Communion Rite (Wole Soyinka; 1973. Drama.)
Read to prepare for the second “Theatre & Thought” series, Euripides’ The Bacchae and Contemporary Adaptations.

Strangers on a Train (Patricia Highsmith; 1950. Fiction.)
It is hard to believe this brooding, accomplished thriller was her first novel. Related article here.

Solitary (Albert Woodfox; 2019. Non-fiction.)
Review here.

They Thought They Were Free: The Germans, 1933-45 (Milton Mayer; 1959 (2017 edition). Non-fiction.)
Excerpt here. I cannot recommend this book enough.

Death of a Salesman (Arthur Miller; 1949. Drama.)
Reread after watching the stream of the Tony Award-winning Broadway production directed by Goodman Theatre’s Robert Falls.

The Bear (Andrew Krivak; 2020. Fiction.)
As I said to my husband, it is well written and engaging but not as special as the many recommendations had led me to believe.

Who Do You Love (Jennifer Weiner; 2015. Fiction.)
Once in a while, I just need some mental M&Ms.

Survival: Another Story, Vol. 1 (Takao Saito; 2017. Graphic fiction.)
 Family Tree, Vol. 2: Seeds (Jeff Lemire; 2020. Graphic fiction.)
I no longer remember who pressed Survival on me, but it was worth the time; and I’m not certain where Family Tree is heading, which is a compliment of sorts.

Don’t Call Us Dead (Danez Smith; 2017. Poetry.)
Reviews here and here.

It Can’t Happen Here (Sinclair Lewis; 1936. Fiction.)
Read in anticipation of this. Review of the production here.

Lakewood (Megan Giddings; 2020. Fiction.) 
 Disappearing Earth (Julia Phillips; 2019. Fiction.) 

Parable of the Sower (Octavia Butler; 1993. Fiction.) 
 On Immunity: An Inoculation (Eula Biss; 2014. Non-fiction.) 
 Theory of Bastards (Audrey Schulman; 2014. Fiction.) 
 Devolution (Max Brooks; 2020. Fiction.) 

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 8

Hello everyone! I actually finished a book last week. 🙂

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. Story of a childless, middle-aged couple who decide to try their hand at Alaska homesteading in the 1920s. They are struggling to make a go of it when a snow child appears. Lovely story told in a fairy tale fashion - I really enjoyed it.

I recently found something that made me think of everyone here. I think most of us are familiar with the book, "Diary of an Edwardian Lady" - there are puzzles made using images from it! Country Diary: Winter jigsaw puzzle  there is a puzzle for each season, too!  I know what I am asking for for Christmas. 😊

Robin, I enjoyed Black Panther, too. It has the most interesting storyline, imo, and the costuming was great!

• Like 9

I'm wrapping up The Death and Life of Great American Cities, by Jane Jacobs. This is one of those books which I feel almost as if I've read already -- I guess because the ideas in it are very much a part of how we talk about cities today. It's very closely-observed and full of great details, and a lot of it holds true today. Not all of it, of course.

Jane Jacobs lived in New York and drew most of her examples of city life from NYC, so it's a lot of fun to read about specific blocks and neighborhoods and of course, to consider the ways they've changed in the past 60 years.

Next I'm going to read "Silence, Joy" by Thomas Merton. Really looking forward to that.

• Like 6

On 11/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, Pen said:

@Kareni I started In Sickness and in Elf and am enjoying it so far

That's good to hear, Pen. (I've yet to start my copy.)

On 11/15/2020 at 2:53 PM, Mothersweets said:

I think most of us are familiar with the book, "Diary of an Edwardian Lady" - there are puzzles made using images from it! Country Diary: Winter jigsaw puzzle  there is a puzzle for each season, too!  I know what I am asking for for Christmas. 😊

I'm very fond of the book. Ooh, those puzzles are lovely; I hope that your holiday wish will be fulfilled!

On 11/15/2020 at 3:25 PM, Seasider too said:

May the holiday season find you all well and celebrating with thankfulness despite the unusual circumstances. 

Thank you. I hope that your holidays will be happy, too!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Thank you for all of the links to Native authors.  I have already reserved some of them.   I am part Cherokee (North Carolina) by birth but have spent the last almost 30 years more in the Ottawa/Chippewa culture here in West and Northern Michigan.

How fascinating and glad you found some books of interest.  We have a smidgen of Passamaquoddy from my mother's side of the family. 

4 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Robin, you really are a marvel. Thank you so much. This gives me a starting place to look. I've been looking at books and feeling overwhelmed on what theme, genre to choose let alone book. I only have a list of countries so far. You have put so much work into this and it is shows. Much appreciated because just being on this thread has made me read books I never would have considered. Thanks again.

Best thing to do is take a country and do a search ie books set in Mozambique. Usually google will come up with list of books on Goodreads or possible mappit or culture trip.  Goodreads is a good starting point. 

2 hours ago, Melissa M said:

Hello! It’s been a while since I checked in; in fact, apparently, it’s been monthsI was at 150 books on August 5, wondering if 208 might be attainable. Well, it was: With Max Brooks’ frivolous but fun Devolution, I reached 208. Rather than paste notes on the fifty-eight books I’ve read since I last participated in the BaW thread, I’ll just include notes on 192 through 202 and a list of 203 through 208. (Notes later.) Today, I will finish a book from the Hogarth Shakespeare series, New Boy.

Edited to add: I’ve read 138 books from my shelves this year. Woot!

Strangers on a Train (Patricia Highsmith; 1950. Fiction.)
It is hard to believe this brooding, accomplished thriller was her first novel. Related article here.

Woot Woot! I got distracted from reading from my physical shelves again mid year. Gee, I wonder why? LOL!  Loved Strangers on a Train and after reading the book, also watched the movie. Great list of books and look forward to looking them up. 

1 hour ago, Mothersweets said:

Hello everyone! I actually finished a book last week. 🙂

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. Story of a childless, middle-aged couple who decide to try their hand at Alaska homesteading in the 1920s. They are struggling to make a go of it when a snow child appears. Lovely story told in a fairy tale fashion - I really enjoyed it.

I recently found something that made me think of everyone here. I think most of us are familiar with the book, "Diary of an Edwardian Lady" - there are puzzles made using images from it! Country Diary: Winter jigsaw puzzle  there is a puzzle for each season, too!  I know what I am asking for for Christmas. 😊

Robin, I enjoyed Black Panther, too. It has the most interesting storyline, imo, and the costuming was great!

Yay!  Love the puzzles and will have to bookmark the site. I have family members who love puzzling. 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

@Robin M I may reread or finish Braiding Sweetgrass for Native Voices.  Possibly reread The Way to Rainy Mountain.

For young people who might be looking for a native voices book, consider My Name is Not Easy

Briading Sweetgrass looks really good.  

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Hey ladies!

I have purposefully stepped away from the boards for a variety of reasons, but finished a good one today and wanted to recommend it. In fact, I’m probably echoing a past rec for it, because I can’t remember how it got added to my library queue in the first place. Anyway...

The Geography of Lost Things by Jessica Brody is a YA relationship story. It features a pair of exes who team up for a road trip and the story events take place along the way. I’m not going to type a long synopsis here, just wanted to share that I quite enjoyed it. It probably made more of an impression on me because I have experienced the same thing as one of the main characters and it gave me a couple of aha moments about why I sometimes think and act the way I do in certain circumstances. Also, I feel it’s a bit longer than the typical YA novel. While some scenes cause the action to lag a bit, overall they contribute to the plot and/or character development. I was happy to read a story that both had some heft to the plot and was something I could comfortably hand to my (non-edgy/graphic-fiction-reading) teen and say hey, I think you’ll like this one. 

We have been busy with some unusual family happenings, but the next two weeks we will be on pre-turkey-day lockdown so I hope to finish the goal of 52 for this year’s BAW. I know some of you read way more, but my schedule simply does not allow me to do that. I may not log into the forum again after Dec 1 and whatever that brings for the boards, but wanted to tell you gals that these BAW threads have been a highlight and sustenance through 2020. May the holiday season find you all well and celebrating with thankfulness despite the unusual circumstances. 

Geography of Lost things sounds interesting and will add to my want list.  Hugs and good wishes for you and your family and happy holidays.  Hope to see you on other other side of the WTM update. Hopefully its for the better. 

1 hour ago, Little Green Leaves said:

I'm wrapping up The Death and Life of Great American Cities, by Jane Jacobs. This is one of those books which I feel almost as if I've read already -- I guess because the ideas in it are very much a part of how we talk about cities today. It's very closely-observed and full of great details, and a lot of it holds true today. Not all of it, of course.

Jane Jacobs lived in New York and drew most of her examples of city life from NYC, so it's a lot of fun to read about specific blocks and neighborhoods and of course, to consider the ways they've changed in the past 60 years.

Next I'm going to read "Silence, Joy" by Thomas Merton. Really looking forward to that.

Death and Life sounds interesting.  Love Thomas Merton! Enjoy! 

• Like 6

We had a busy day and just got home after a mad and unsuccessful attempt to watch the Dragon space launch.  We had planned to watch from our driveway but the weather changed and we hopped in the car in an attempt to get to the other side of the storm.  We accomplished that but the cloud cover was too great.......bummer!

@PenI hope you are able to get your library card renewed without too much effort!  I have been listening to another Dog Book 😂 and enjoying every minute of it!  Blind Search  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43263537-blind-search?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=lxetLXIW9g&rank=1

@Seasider tooI hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving..........I am currently trying to confine myself to BaW so I understand your decision.

@MothersweetsThose puzzles are beautiful!  Dd may need one for Christmas......

Last night I finished reading my nonfiction book (which is rare for me) called The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife, and His Missing Corpse https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25622302-the-dead-duke-his-secret-wife-and-the-missing-corpse. Let’s face it that is an intriguing title for a mystery lover. It wasn’t written in a manner that made it a great story but it kept me reading, very factual......... I ended up really enjoying it because I quickly discovered the dead duke’s seat was about 20 minutes from our home village in England.......Didn’t have a clue that this book was about one of the Dukeries before starting to read. 

The Dukeries are several large estates in Sherwood Forest that were built as hunting lodges/estates for the royals back in the 1600’s. The great wars essentially ended their former existence as pleasure palaces but there are lovely footpaths in the grounds. We just go to the garden center and sometimes a walk at Welbeck Abbey. I have never bothered to pay the admission and go inside because I didn’t know about this Duke’s passion for tunnels and underground ballrooms. He was extremely secretive and would go weeks without seeing another person. He used his tunnels to escape outside.

Now I am curious! My friend and I are planning a day out there next summer.....she is also going to read the book! She has lived within 20 miles of Welbeck her entire life and never went in ......she didn’t know about the tunnels either. She sent me an email that said “Of course there are tunnels.....she meant coal tunnels. They are under everyone’s houses.....you actually are required to insure against tunnel collapses.

I found this link with some pictures and books that may be less factual it also has a Dh Lawrence connection https://nottinghamcityofliterature.com/blog/literary-locations-64-welbeck-abbey

• Like 7

Welp! First rain of the season and what happens? Hubby went out to lock the back gate, stepped in a patch of mud and did a classic cartoon fall where your feet go out from under you entirely and splat on your back.  Poor guy is very sore, but no head injury fortunately. Skinned elbows and  hurt left wrist (unfortunately his writing hand) Result of hand and wrist xrays shows an avulsion fracture to his carpal bone.  Have to talk to orthopedics tomorrow on whether to splint or cast.  Meanwhile, his whole body is sore so he's working it out his way. Gave him Tylenol and a sling and out the door he went for a 10K walk.  My warrior!

• Sad 7

I haven't been keeping up with the thread but I have to share that I am beyond thrilled with the Discworld books. I have read 9 Terry Pratchett books and have three on my nightstand. I am wholly enamored with Granny Weatherwax and will be reading all of the Witches books.

I tried to watch the Hogswatch series and couldn't stomach it. I much prefer the Discworld I have constructed in my head ; it's much more colorful and less icky.

I have also read a lot of Anthony Horowitz this year. As long as my library can keep me in books by these two authors, I should be good for a few months.

Anyone else here a Terry Pratchett fan?

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

This week I was off between two projects, so that means I should have finished all the books I was reading. Instead I did not. I prepared a whole week to celebrate Diwali, the festival of lights. We made snacks, sweets, wrapped gifts, made cards, watched movies, decorated. We had a scaled down celebration, but one we took an entire week to make happen and finally exhausted. I am binge watching the Crown now hiding from my daughter who is 4. I wish she was older so we could share it but watching it by myself is nice too since it is of my two favorite Brits, Margaret Thatcher and Princess Diana. 

Will pick up reading where I left off. 

Happy Diwali!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Welp! First rain of the season and what happens? Hubby went out to lock the back gate, stepped in a patch of mud and did a classic cartoon fall where your feet go out from under you entirely and splat on your back.  Poor guy is very sore, but no head injury fortunately. Skinned elbows and  hurt left wrist (unfortunately his writing hand) Result of hand and wrist xrays shows an avulsion fracture to his carpal bone.  Have to talk to orthopedics tomorrow on whether to splint or cast.  Meanwhile, his whole body is sore so he's working it out his way. Gave him Tylenol and a sling and out the door he went for a 10K walk.  My warrior!

Oh I just cringed, so sorry!!! I hope he heals quickly!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

How fascinating and glad you found some books of interest.  We have a smidgen of Passamaquoddy from my mother's side of the family. 

Best thing to do is take a country and do a search ie books set in Mozambique. Usually google will come up with list of books on Goodreads or possible mappit or culture trip.  Goodreads is a good starting point. 

Woot Woot! I got distracted from reading from my physical shelves again mid year. Gee, I wonder why? LOL!  Loved Strangers on a Train and after reading the book, also watched the movie. Great list of books and look forward to looking them up. 

Yay!  Love the puzzles and will have to bookmark the site. I have family members who love puzzling. 

Briading Sweetgrass looks really good.  

Geography of Lost things sounds interesting and will add to my want list.  Hugs and good wishes for you and your family and happy holidays.  Hope to see you on other other side of the WTM update. Hopefully its for the better. 

Death and Life sounds interesting.  Love Thomas Merton! Enjoy! 

The Way to Rainy Mountain (N Scott Momaday) was my favorite book in my early teens. I am wondering how it will be if revisited now.   I still have a vague recollection of poetic descriptions like the prairie being like an anvil’s edge, and (not necessarily spelled right) Tai-me, whose name meant “Take me with you”...  but I can’t recall if Tai-me was like a Great Spirit or something physical or both...

I don’t know anyone else who has read it.  Most people who know his work know House Made of Dawn. 

For me, Braiding Sweetgrass is a meditative book that I seem to dip in and out of rather than reading in one go start to end. I think I have read it (or listened to it) all probably, but not sure because of my dipping in and out approach. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Robin, hope that your husband heals quickly and that he's feeling better. 

I read Memories of Nine Years in Akka - 5 Stars - This is a memoir that would be of interest and relevance to Baha’is. I first read it right before going on pilgrimage over 15 years ago. It was a wonderful re-read. The author served in the Holy Land from 1900-1909. He writes with wisdom and humor. While reading this, I went through a whole gamut of emotions. What a special time in history that was!

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

Divine Confirmation

“Divine confirmation is dependent on action.”

Our Will versus God’s Will

“Whatever a human being desires for himself brings him nothing but loss, and whatever God desires for him is gain upon gain.”

Spiritual Health

“He would say that whereas physical health is only moderately communicable, physical disease is highly contagious. By the same token, the effect of spiritual health is also very gradual and slight, while spiritual disease is communicated quickly and potently. This is because a patient struck down with a spiritual disease does not seek a cure; in effect he hides his malady and thus communicates that condition covertly.”

Success

“He then explained the importance of education, and the secrets which would lead to success. He considered success and progress in any field conditional first on divine confirmation and then on wholehearted perseverance.”

41upsSl+smL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 4

@Robin MI hope John’s ortho consult goes well today.  Glad he felt well enough to do his 10k yesterday. 🙂 Hug to all of you!

I read my title starting with an X last night in full as it was more of a novella than a full length book.  I had to read in th browser so have no idea how many pages but it read quickly.  XYZ: A Detective Story by Anna Katherine Green was a very clever story which I completely enjoyed set in 1881.  I love her mysteries.  The story is Agatha Christie loved her mysteries too and modeled her  books after these.  This one was perhaps an Inspector Battle model. Many are free to download and were very handy when I had a pre teen gobbling up mysteries. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31680024-x-y-z 

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today I finished the book that my book group will be discussing on Thursday.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

This was an interesting mix of nature writing and mystery; it's the author's first novel, but she'd already published three books about her work as a wildlife scientist in Africa. It was a gripping read with an ending that surprised me.

Here is the book blurb:

"For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life--until the unthinkable happens."

Yesterday I finished Companion Pieces: Stories from the Old World and Beyond by Melissa F. Olson; it's a compilation of stories that I quite enjoyed. I'd recommend this book to those who've already read books by the author.

"From California to Colorado, the Old World is filled with complicated women, volatile creatures, and nulls with attitude. This unmissable collection includes the stories that run in between and alongside the Old World novels, allowing readers to catch up with favorite characters and find clues about the future of this bestselling series.

In the never-before-published "Boundary Blood," Allison "Lex" Luther has to accompany her injured aunt on a road trip across the country-but Katia has secrets that could prove lethal even to boundary witches. In the original short story "The Lost Girls," Corry Tanger-college freshman, null and sometimes assistant to Scarlett Bernard-has to contend with a new vampire who wants to push all the limits.

It's just another day for Las Vegas healing witch Sashi Brighton (protagonist of Bloodsick), until she gets an urgent call from Los Angeles, kicking off a chain of events that will turn her life upside down in the all-new story "Powerless." Finally, "Nativity" takes us into the delivery room with series lead Scarlett Bernard, who has to juggle her null abilities, new motherhood and a very powerful surprise visitor."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

On 11/15/2020 at 6:05 PM, mumto2 said:

We had a busy day and just got home after a mad and unsuccessful attempt to watch the Dragon space launch.  We had planned to watch from our driveway but the weather changed and we hopped in the car in an attempt to get to the other side of the storm.  We accomplished that but the cloud cover was too great.......bummer!

@PenI hope you are able to get your library card renewed without too much effort!  I have been listening to another Dog Book 😂 and enjoying every minute of it!  Blind Search  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43263537-blind-search?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=lxetLXIW9g&rank=1

Thank you-more good dog books always welcome!

We aren’t in a jurisdiction with library so we have to Pay for out of district card.  And we haven’t been using it as much as we used to such that cost per book is seeming high right now. 

I am looking at other options ranging from renewal of Audible to some systems other than library.  Scribd, etc. 

Maybe just let it be for awhile and finish up more unfinished already owned books!

• Like 4

I just finished reading Killing Trail (A Timber Creek K-9 Mystery Book 1) by Margaret Mizushima; this is the first book in a series that both @Penand @mumto2have read. I enjoyed it, too, and may well read on in the series.

"The suspenseful, smart first novel in the Timber Creek K-9 mystery series introducing crime-fighting team Mattie Cobb and her police dog partner Robo

When a young girl is found dead in the mountains outside Timber Creek, life-long resident Officer Mattie Cobb and her partner, K-9 police dog Robo, are assigned to the case that has rocked the small Colorado town.

With the help of Cole Walker, local veterinarian and a single father, Mattie and Robo must track down the truth before it claims another victim. But the more Mattie investigates, the more she realizes how many secrets her hometown holds. And the key may be Cole's daughter, who knows more than she's saying.

The murder was just the beginning, and if Mattie isn't careful, she and Robo could be next. Suspenseful and smart, Killing Trail is a gripping read that will have readers clamoring for more Mattie and Robo for years to come. Fans of Nevada Barr and C.J. Box will love this explosive debut."

Regards,

Kareni 

• Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 6:33 AM, mumto2 said:

I hope John’s ortho consult goes well today.  Glad he felt well enough to do his 10k yesterday. 🙂 Hug to all of you!

He now has a nice blue cast on his arm which he gets to wear for 6 weeks and stronger pain medicine.  Only my hubby can get a pooping duck fracture

No photo description available.

• Like 7

Sympathies on your husband's fracture, Robin. My dh managed to break his wrist several years ago @ a 4H christmas party....leaving the ice to get his cake. So late on a Sunday, we got to drive around to 2-3 different clinics to find one that had a dr. available to set it. And then I had to drive his daily commute for him until the cast came off.

I have been working my way through the Inspector Rutledge series by Charles Todd (English post WW1 detective, returning to work but still has secret ptsd/shell shock that manifests as a critiquing voice in his head). Well written, thoughtful, and I'm quite enjoying them. Unfortunately, my library doesn't have them all and so I am skipping around a bit as they become available on Overdrive.

Also very much enjoying Laurie R. King's Mary Russel & Sherlock Holmes series, which I believe were recommended here. Yes, Holmes gets married late in life to a highly self-sufficient woman who investigates right along with him and gives him a run for his money. The last one I read was set in India with a grown-up Kim having disappeared into Tibet and needing to be found. Great Game references abounded...quite fun.

DH got to a *fourth* interview this week, after 3 months of talking to a company, and then they said no thank you. Ahhhh, at least there are some other faint possibilities he can pursue and he won't have to rent a room M-F. Trying to look on the bright side can get quite wearing, but we hang in there. I have been working and our team got some very positive feedback for a bid we were helping to prepare....so that may lead to yet more work. Hurrah on that.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

I have been working and our team got some very positive feedback for a bid we were helping to prepare....so that may lead to yet more work. Hurrah on that.

Hurrah, indeed! Wishing you well and sending positive thoughts for your husband's job search.

30 minutes ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

I have been working my way through the Inspector Rutledge series by Charles Todd (English post WW1 detective, returning to work but still has secret ptsd/shell shock that manifests as a critiquing voice in his head)

This sounds intriguing...particularly the critiquing voice. It's funny the things that draws one's attention.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Some bookish posts ~

Eudora Welty: How My Parents Built a Childhood of Books
"I live in gratitude

https://lithub.com/eudora-welty-how-my-parents-built-a-childhood-of-books/

From SBTB:
The Rec League: Scene-Stealing Animals & Pets

https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2020/11/the-rec-league-scene-stealing-animals-pets/#comment-855532

Kickass Women in History: Virginia Hall

https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2020/11/kickass-women-in-history-virginia-hall/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

On 11/15/2020 at 6:05 PM, mumto2 said:

The Dukeries are several large estates in Sherwood Forest that were built as hunting lodges/estates for the royals back in the 1600’s. The great wars essentially ended their former existence as pleasure palaces but there are lovely footpaths in the grounds. We just go to the garden center and sometimes a walk at Welbeck Abbey. I have never bothered to pay the admission and go inside because I didn’t know about this Duke’s passion for tunnels and underground ballrooms. He was extremely secretive and would go weeks without seeing another person. He used his tunnels to escape outside.

Now I am curious! My friend and I are planning a day out there next summer.....she is also going to read the book! She has lived within 20 miles of Welbeck her entire life and never went in ......she didn’t know about the tunnels either. She sent me an email that said “Of course there are tunnels.....she meant coal tunnels. They are under everyone’s houses.....you actually are required to insure against tunnel collapses.

I found this link with some pictures and books that may be less factual it also has a Dh Lawrence connection https://nottinghamcityofliterature.com/blog/literary-locations-64-welbeck-abbey

Well, pooh, sorry you didn't get to see the launch live.   The secret tunnels sound like fun and well worth the cost of admission to check them out. 

On 11/15/2020 at 8:15 PM, The Accidental Coach said:

I haven't been keeping up with the thread but I have to share that I am beyond thrilled with the Discworld books. I have read 9 Terry Pratchett books and have three on my nightstand. I am wholly enamored with Granny Weatherwax and will be reading all of the Witches books.

I tried to watch the Hogswatch series and couldn't stomach it. I much prefer the Discworld I have constructed in my head ; it's much more colorful and less icky.

I have also read a lot of Anthony Horowitz this year. As long as my library can keep me in books by these two authors, I should be good for a few months.

We used to have some Pratchett fans around here. I think they're in hiding right now.  I haven't yet read any of his books, but have added the very first book The Color of Magic to my virtual stacks to read.  

On 11/15/2020 at 8:42 PM, Pen said:

For me, Braiding Sweetgrass is a meditative book that I seem to dip in and out of rather than reading in one go start to end. I think I have read it (or listened to it) all probably, but not sure because of my dipping in and out approach. 

I too have many books that are for dipping and have no idea when or if I have finished and starting all over again. As long as I keep getting something out of it, all worth while. 

On 11/17/2020 at 8:58 PM, Laurel-in-CA said:

Sympathies on your husband's fracture, Robin. My dh managed to break his wrist several years ago @ a 4H christmas party....leaving the ice to get his cake. So late on a Sunday, we got to drive around to 2-3 different clinics to find one that had a dr. available to set it. And then I had to drive his daily commute for him until the cast came off.

I have been working my way through the Inspector Rutledge series by Charles Todd (English post WW1 detective, returning to work but still has secret ptsd/shell shock that manifests as a critiquing voice in his head). Well written, thoughtful, and I'm quite enjoying them. Unfortunately, my library doesn't have them all and so I am skipping around a bit as they become available on Overdrive.

Also very much enjoying Laurie R. King's Mary Russel & Sherlock Holmes series, which I believe were recommended here. Yes, Holmes gets married late in life to a highly self-sufficient woman who investigates right along with him and gives him a run for his money. The last one I read was set in India with a grown-up Kim having disappeared into Tibet and needing to be found. Great Game references abounded...quite fun.

DH got to a *fourth* interview this week, after 3 months of talking to a company, and then they said no thank you. Ahhhh, at least there are some other faint possibilities he can pursue and he won't have to rent a room M-F. Trying to look on the bright side can get quite wearing, but we hang in there. I have been working and our team got some very positive feedback for a bid we were helping to prepare....so that may lead to yet more work. Hurrah on that.

Have to watch out for the ice. Yes, we discovered since we hadn't power washed the sidewalk in a couple years due to our wonderful drought, between the sprinklers and the grass dying and dead leaves, it created a black ice situation with the first rain of the season.   I power washed most of the sidewalk and uncovered  lots of moss.  Will finish the rest this weekend. 

I must revisit Laurie King. I have a couple books acquired from volunteering at book shows and haven't read them yet. 

That is so frustrating to go through multiple interviews and be told no.  Have a few friends it has happened to . Hugs and good wishes and thoughts winging you and hubby's way. 

• Like 3

On 11/15/2020 at 11:58 PM, negin said:

Robin, hope that your husband heals quickly and that he's feeling better. 

I read Memories of Nine Years in Akka - 5 Stars - This is a memoir that would be of interest and relevance to Baha’is. I first read it right before going on pilgrimage over 15 years ago. It was a wonderful re-read. The author served in the Holy Land from 1900-1909. He writes with wisdom and humor. While reading this, I went through a whole gamut of emotions. What a special time in history that was!

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

Divine Confirmation

“Divine confirmation is dependent on action.”

Our Will versus God’s Will

“Whatever a human being desires for himself brings him nothing but loss, and whatever God desires for him is gain upon gain.”

Spiritual Health

“He would say that whereas physical health is only moderately communicable, physical disease is highly contagious. By the same token, the effect of spiritual health is also very gradual and slight, while spiritual disease is communicated quickly and potently. This is because a patient struck down with a spiritual disease does not seek a cure; in effect he hides his malady and thus communicates that condition covertly.”

Success

“He then explained the importance of education, and the secrets which would lead to success. He considered success and progress in any field conditional first on divine confirmation and then on wholehearted perseverance.”

41upsSl+smL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thank you and love the quotes.  Divine confirmation reminds me of the saying "pray for the bus, then run as fast you can for the bus." 

On 11/17/2020 at 2:40 PM, Dreamergal said:

I am though quite ignorant about her and know very little really of her because I am a habitual non-fiction avoider. So I am picking a few books to rectify that.

Me too, unless it is a writing book.  Have been working on adding more non fiction to my repertoire. Hubby only reads non fiction and we have many books left over from our homeschool days which I myself never read - biographies and what not, so won't be hard.   Thatcher is an interesting person. Have fun learning all about her. 

• Like 3

I just started Jasper Fforde’s The Constant Rabbit and it’s cracking me up.......the bunny wars. Literally Rabbits have anthropomorphized and are living in Wales and causing havoc with humans social structure. I am not very far and suspect the book is just filled with British political protests....the author makes fun of how the libraries accross that country now have a volunteer only staff with a trained Librarian on very reduced hours. In the book the librarian has 6 minutes at your village branch every two weeks. We had a professional availiable a morning each week. As a person who got stuck on the board of one of those volunteer libraries I was laughing so hard......because the I found the ridiculous scenario possible. The professional in the book had to stamp every book being checked out with the official stamp so the volunteers had this convulted system to get everything done that needed the librarian in those six minutes. There were two timers from the council observing so the librarian didn’t spend a second longer than your allotted six minutes at your branch.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 5:15 AM, The Accidental Coach said:

I am!  My teens (now all in their mid-20s to mid-30s) adored his books; I never read them when they were still at home.  But after they left, and I had more discretionary time, I picked one up randomly to read and was hooked despite fantasy not really being my genre.....  I think it is because of the underlying commentary on the human experience.

I'm happy to report that I'm tracking to meet my goal of 52 Books in a Year.  Thank you all for the inspiration!  I've recently finished three books that I think were first mentioned in these threads:  What Alice Knew, The Silent Patient, and All We Ever Wanted.  All very modern (for me!), so pleased to have branched out from tried and true classics and mysteries (my go-tos!).

I'm currently reading The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra which is set in India.  I'm only a couple of chapters in, but enjoying the set-up and the characters I've met.  I'd love to visit India one day....

• Like 5

@mumto2@negin

Thanks, loves. I decided it's going to be pleasantly lazy, will spend time meandering about web, order out and have dinner delivered. I think I'm in the mood for Italian food.  Meanwhile I read an interesting article "Want to feel Better, Stop Reading New Books." in which the author talks about reader older books which are new to you, at least 15 years old and older because:  "It may be that the temperament of the reader was (or was assumed to be) different 15 years ago. Things—the stories and the sentences—are a little slower, more careful. There is more room. This may actually have nothing to do with the fact that these books were written 15 or 150 years ago—in fact, it’s more likely that the reason I’m enjoying these older books so much is because they were always the highest quality books in the room, and therefore, they’re the ones that have survived in the literary consciousness for however long they have. "

"So if you too have been struggling to decouple from your phone this year, I suggest you pick up one of the many classics you’ve been meaning to read for years, but never quite gotten around to. (I don’t care who you are; you must have at least one classic, contemporary or otherwise, that you haven’t gotten around to.) This may be counter-productive to say on a website largely about new books, and even more counter-productive as someone who has published a book this year, but look: the new books will wait. In fact, all the books will wait. We will all wait, together. It’s all about how we’ll pass the time. Personally, I will be passing it by continuing to fill the gaps in my literary knowledge, and soothing my bruised nerves in the process."

Keep this in mind as I post the end of the year Best of the Best in 2020 and multiple links to new and old books tempting you all to add more and more to your teetering tottering books stacks.   Every year I aim to resist buying new books and read from my own stacks through April. This coming year I'll have to add resisting all the kindle unlimited so easy to download books in order to read from my TBR pile. 

Perhaps for 2021 we should take another tour around the world and through the centuries, reading those older books we've been meaning to read but have never quite gotten around to it. Along with our fluff, of course. 😁

What do you think? Share a list of 6 older books you've been wanting to read and we'll add them to our reading plan for the new year. 

ETA:

And rereads too. My son and I have been listening to so many Harry Potter Theory youtube videos (He likes to analyze Snape a lot) that I'm thinking it's time to reread the series.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4