Menu

update on me...weight, health, exercise, mood, etc

ktgrok

10 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

My husband’s CPAP experience was that he hated it at first, and then he got completely hooked.  His mask blows a stream at me though so he has to face the other way.

The exhaust issue (masks blowing a steady stream of air that can disturb uses and their partners) is one of the reasons I suggested the P10 nasal pillow for non-mouth breathers. That issue goes away.

Not everyone loves "nasal pillows," but they are generally considered the "connoisseurs choice" among serious CPAPers. LOL.

Bill

26 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

The exhaust issue (masks blowing a steady stream of air that can disturb uses and their partners) is one of the reasons I suggested the P10 nasal pillow for non-mouth breathers. That issue goes away.

Not everyone loves "nasal pillows," but they are generally considered the "connoisseurs choice" among serious CPAPers. LOL.

Bill

I've tried a number of nasal pillows and personally prefer the Fisher and Paykel Pilairo nasal pillow.  I know that other people prefer others.  I wonder if that is partly due to personal nose anatomy in how some prefer one over another? 

27 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I've tried a number of nasal pillows and personally prefer the Fisher and Paykel Pilairo nasal pillow.  I know that other people prefer others.  I wonder if that is partly due to personal nose anatomy in how some prefer one over another? 

I have no idea why people have different mask preferences--but people surely do.

I'd think that anatomy would be even more of a factor with nasal masks (that fit over the nose) or full-face masks (that cover the nose and mouth). Nasal pillows (for those unaware) have two small nipples that rest just inside nostrils.

Getting a comfortable mask is probably the biggest factor for success is adapting to CPAP.

Bill

41 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you all! 

I know they want him on an "auto pap" so I assume that's a CPAP that is programmable or something?

An "auto" machine will adjust pressure (within set limits) for exhale and inhale depending on a user's breathing and the machine's algorithm.

Rarely, some users do better with "fixed pressure" (no deviations, non-auto) but that is not typical. And "auto" devices can be set to "fixed pressure," so you want an auto machine, for sure.

The only thing about "auto" devices is that most DMEs and sleep doctors will set them to "wide open" (4-20) and will let the machine do its thing (as opposed to dialoging in the machine to optimal ranges).

Leaving machines "wide open" is easy on over-burdened sleep doctors and DMEs, but it is not the optimal way to use these machines on the users end. It is better to narrow in the range based on an analysis of the sleep data.

If you want a resource to help one dial in a device optimally, PM me.

Do make sure the machine is data capable and has an SD card (or order a compatible SD card) so you can do full data capture. No "bricks."

Bill

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

An "auto" machine will adjust pressure (within set limits) for exhale and inhale depending on a user's breathing and the machine's algorithm.

Rarely, some users do better with "fixed pressure" (no deviations, non-auto) but that is not typical. And "auto" devices can be set to "fixed pressure," so you want an auto machine, for sure.

The only thing about "auto" devices is that most DMEs and sleep doctors will set them to "wide open" (4-20) and will let the machine do its thing (as opposed to dialoging in the machine to optimal ranges).

Leaving machines "wide open" is easy on over-burdened sleep doctors and DMEs, but it is not the optimal way to use these machines on the users end. It is better to narrow in the range based on an analysis of the sleep data.

Do make sure the machine is data capable and has an SD card (or order a compatible SD card) so you can do full data capture. No "bricks."

Bill

thank you - will pass along the info, and PM you if we need to 🙂

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

thank you - will pass along the info, and PM you if we need to 🙂

I had a typo above. Should have read dialing-in, not "dialoguing."

DMEs tend to carry one brand of machine. If they only have Philips, I'd advise considering your other options.

Philips machines are not bad, but the ResMed devices are generally considered to be superior. They have a more sophisticated way of dealing with the change overs between higher inhalation pressures and lower exhalation pressures that most users find more comfortable and more natural. But there is a contingent who prefer Philips. Nothing is 100%.

Bill

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

DMEs tend to carry one brand of machine. If they only have Philips, I'd advise considering your other options.

Philips machines are not bad, but the ResMed devices are generally considered to be superior. They have a more sophisticated way of dealing with the change overs between higher inhalation pressures and lower exhalation pressures that most users find more comfortable and more natural. But there is a contingent who prefer Philips. Nothing is 100%.

Bill

I agree.  DH’s still has a resmed that is 14 years old and works great.  We kept it as his emergency machine if something should happened to his resmed he bought last year.  In our experience- Resmed is like a workhorse. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

They said they had two brands to try - hopefully they have in stock the used one in the one he likes, but now we know where else we can look, thanks!

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

A few more thoughts to add to Bill’s information. I just replace my Resmed 10 with another one. While it has an SD card, they didn’t give me one as the machine will send the data to your sleep Dr wirelessly. They are available, you just have to ask. But the only reason to have a card now is if you get a program and monitor it yourself on your personal PC. 

I was shocked when I saw the print out my sleep Dr had when my Resmed 10 was brand new. There was no more information there than I could read daily on my machine. After 25 years of cpap therapy, I understood what was happening daily, but I fully expected there to be more information available to the Dr. 

CPAP talk forum has a lot  of information and a great place to ask questions. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

They said they had two brands to try - hopefully they have in stock the used one in the one he likes, but now we know where else we can look, thanks!

Since ResMed and Philips are the two behemoths in the field, he will likely get to try these. That's good.

If he doesn't have a clear preference--go for ResMed. The real difference is when one is sleeping--or more particularly--as one id just falling into sleep. The pressure support on the ResMed is almost like a true bi-level. In a toss up, go that way. Make sure it is not a so-called "Elite" model. You want the AirSense AutoSet 10 (the top of the line). Some shady DMEs charge the same for crippled models.

Advise him to focus on how natural the transition between inhale and exhale is on the two devices. Does his breathing feel forced? And does one machine feel more "natural" to his pattern?

Bill

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KatieinMich said:

A few more thoughts to add to Bill’s information. I just replace my Resmed 10 with another one. While it has an SD card, they didn’t give me one as the machine will send the data to your sleep Dr wirelessly. They are available, you just have to ask. But the only reason to have a card now is if you get a program and monitor it yourself on your personal PC. 

I was shocked when I saw the print out my sleep Dr had when my Resmed 10 was brand new. There was no more information there than I could read daily on my machine. After 25 years of cpap therapy, I understood what was happening daily, but I fully expected there to be more information available to the Dr. 

CPAP talk forum has a lot  of information and a great place to ask questions. 

As you know, the data that's sent to the sleep doctors wirelessly is a bad joke. It is an insult to patient's health and well-being IMO.

These machines (assuming they are data compliant) will record a vast amount of important data. Critical information if one hopes to optimize treatment and the device's settings.

The unfortunate truth is most people's sleep doctors are NOT going to pour over the data to optimize the settings. Anyone luck enough to have a sleep doctor or tech that will do that should consider themselves very lucky.

There is a free software called OSCAR (Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter) that is as good as what physician's would have if they downloaded data from the devices in their offices instead of relying on truncated reports they get wirelessly (and which are nearly useless beyond showing compliance or major problems).

The forum mentioned (CPAP Talk) has good info, but is pretty notorious for the sharp-elbows of some of the know-it-alls. Not the most friendly of places if one is the sensitive sort. Unless it has changed. 

I'd recommend Apnea Board as an alternative. Great people who offer outstanding advice. It's all free. People helping people.

By recording the data and getting input on either of these two boards, a user can maximize the settings to get optimal treatment and user comfort.

If the settings on a device make it hard to get sleep, a machine is useless.

Too many people quit because their devices are not optimized to their needs. It's a shame.

Most sleep doctors write orders for 4-20 (wide open) and only check for compliance. That is not good enough IMO.

The two user board do have people who know their stuff and who willingly help others get the best possible treatment. Taking that extra step is highly advisable.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have exercised every day for the last 27 days! I've done at least a short yoga video every day for the last 22 days. I've closed all my rings on my apple watch for 16 days straight. (I've only had it for 20 days, and wasn't sure how to sync it up, etc the first few days)

My A1C is down to 4.8, fasting (ish...I had a few sips of coffee with cream and splenda) blood glucose was 88. 

Weight is about the same, but i know I'm losing fat because I've gained muscle definition, and my belly is becoming more apron like. And in "i'm angry about how this process works" news I have lost fat unevenly on my legs, so I have this little pocket of fat on the outside of one thigh that is not attractive. Cellulite I guess? When it was evenly fat it looked smooth at least! 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Yesterday I hit 30 days straight of working out - no days off. That's 30 days of DDP yoga workouts - one a day, even if it was just a short/easy one, plus at least 15 minutes of a cardio video or at least 1 mile walking. 

Just wanted to drop in and say, awesome!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Any CPAP updates?

Bill

No! Other than me having to go wake up DH last night because even in the next room with the door closed he was keeping me awake snoring and snorting. Ugh. But it seems DH didn't realize I've been having to take him up and tell him to roll over, he forgets by the time he wakes up. This morning I brought it up and he promised to call and schedule the appointment to go try the different machines. 

Between him waking me up, the weird cat doing illegal things to the other cat in the middle of the night and their screaming/growling waking me up, and then the dog "needing" to go out in the wee hours, I was tired and grumpy and hopefully persuasive!

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

Forgot to say mood is mostly improved, although I still have bad days. They seem VERY tied to barometric pressure, of all things. I'm starting to think my SAD isn't just SAD, but more a barometric pressure thing, and it just so happens our overcast/heavy low cloud cover, barometric pressure changing days are at that time of year. 

Two different days, outside LOOKED the same (overcast) but one the barometric pressure was rising, and it cleared up later. One is was dropping, and rained later. The difference in my mood - even though I didn't KNOW that it was going to clear up later, or rain later - was dramatic. 

I also have upped my light therapy time to 30 minutes from 15. 

Edited by ktgrok

• 1 month later...

I'm now down about 8 pounds, but more than that my stamina and strength and flexibility have improved - as has my desire and enjoyment of TeA, lol. Between my libido and wearing leggings all the time DH is happy!

But this is what I wanted to show off - check out the improvement in my forward fold in 2 months! I've NEVER been this flexible!

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 1.46.23 PM.png

• Like 17

7 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I'm now down about 8 pounds, but more than that my stamina and strength and flexibility have improved - as has my desire and enjoyment of TeA, lol. Between my libido and wearing leggings all the time DH is happy!

But this is what I wanted to show off - check out the improvement in my forward fold in 2 months! I've NEVER been this flexible!

Awesome!  I need to check out this DDP Yoga.  Do you use an app?

57 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

Awesome!  I need to check out this DDP Yoga.  Do you use an app?

Yes - I have a subscription to the app (the 3 month at a time plan) and I stream the workouts from my phone to my tv. I also do a few live workouts a week that are on zoom or facebook live (but use the heart rate monitor and app so I get points - I just say it is a custom workout)

9 hours ago, ktgrok said:

You should be so proud! (My dh wishes I'd wear leggings around the house too.) 🙂

Wendy

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 9:55 AM, ktgrok said:

The pictures really do tell the story don't they?  Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Holy heck, y'all! I may cry! I just took my measurements...and I am willing to bet there is some inconsistency in how I take them, so grain of salt and all, but in just shy of 3 months I've lost 6 inches off my waist! And 4 inches off my hips! About 2 inches off each thigh, and 1 off each calf! And that's only losing 9lbs of bodyweight! I just pulled down a pair of shorts I hadn't been able to wear and they fit! That's CRAZY!!!!!!

• Like 11

Congrats Katie!! That's awesome! I restarted Beach Body last week and plan to continue it in the new year. I had been working out 7 days a week (some days were yoga or pilates and others more cardio/weight lifting focused) until we got the house ready to sell. Had to put away all of the workout stuff to stage the house and because I wasn't able to work out 7 days a week, I didn't bother working out at all because I wasn't perfect. Ugh. Back on track and trying to commit to 4 days a week right now. I have late meetings the other 3 days, so if I can get a quick 15 min walk in on those days I'll be happy, but I won't plan on it. I've got DH and DS working out with me too which is great. 

• Like 1