Menu

Quick etiquette question! What "complimentary close" for letter to priest?

ktgrok

We are sending get well letters to our priest who has Covid. I don't know the details of his illness, the church is - rightly - not sharing details. I found a printable card, and wrote a personal note. I'm just not sure "love, Katie" is well..appropriate. But "sincerely" certainly isn't right! And "blessings" seems a bit odd from a lay person TO a priest, right? 

(if it matters, Episcopal priest, married with kids)

This is a silly thing to feel weird about, I know...social anxiety for the win, right?

(this is why social misfits like me, bordering on the ASD spectrum, LIKE formal etiquette! RULES to follow so we don't have to have this awkward wondering! I can look it up in Miss Manners, and will, but since no one ELSE reads that kind of thing, it's still not that helpful for avoiding social awkwardness)

Looked it up and "sincerely yours in Christ" seems way too formal. Sigh. 

UPDATE! "Best Wishes" is what I went with, thank you for the suggestion!

Edited by ktgrok

So, this is the card I printed - if there is a horrid typo or faux pas let me know, lol. I'm going to drop this and the kids' cards off tomorrow at the church and they will get them to Father Greg. 

I know it's casual in tone, but he's the less formal priest, the one that does the very informal family service, the one I've sat and had coffee with while the kids play, etc. He's the "cool" pastor, lol. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 4.42.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 4.43.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 4.43.09 PM.png

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4

I'm wondering if I should include a gift card to somewhere? Taking someone a meal in the time of Covid seems...unwise I guess? But maybe a gift card to a grocery store or Target or? I have no idea if they are doing take out or not, so don't want to do a restaurant. Ugh. Any other illness and we'd bake some muffins to send - I know his kids are gluten free so we could send gluten free muffins from my gluten free kitchen. But with this? I wouldn't want homemade muffins from someone I don't know well, that they breathed on, etc. 

• Like 1

This whole thing, by the way, reminds me of the time I found out my husband signed a congratulation card for a newly married couple with, "Good Luck!" From both of us!

I was MORTIFIED! He meant it in the same sense as "best wishes" but yeah, not the same in that context, lol. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm wondering if I should include a gift card to somewhere? Taking someone a meal in the time of Covid seems...unwise I guess? But maybe a gift card to a grocery store or Target or? I have no idea if they are doing take out or not, so don't want to do a restaurant. Ugh. Any other illness and we'd bake some muffins to send - I know his kids are gluten free so we could send gluten free muffins from my gluten free kitchen. But with this? I wouldn't want homemade muffins from someone I don't know well, that they breathed on, etc. 

I would send the muffins if you want to.  They already have covid germs in the house.  They know you aren't sick.  I don't think it would concern them.  And it is a wonderful offer. :)

• Like 1

Love and Prayers

The Lastname Family

I don’t know what to think if the whole food thing.  I’m lIke either all them people are people I wish I’d never eaten their food bc all these years apparently they didn’t follow basic food handling standards or it’s just as safe now as it ever was and no worse than anything they are getting at a drive through or sit down restaurant.  🤷‍♀️