Menu

Your biggest bulk discount?

gstharr

i ask because I went to Home Depot to get citrus fertilizer for a few plants in containers.  I grabbed a 3lb bag of Vigoro for $7.00--more than enough for my limited use.  it was right next to a giant bag of Vigoro.  Didn't even consider  buying that much.  Started to walk away when I saw that the 20Lb bag of Vigoro was $10.00. As I go whoa, I see even a larger bag--40lbs- for $15.00.  I grab the 20lb bag, and take the 3lb bag with me to the cashier thinking  there was some kind of error . Now, I have 10 years of citrus food.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, gstharr said:

i ask because I went to Home Depot to get citrus fertilizer for a few plants in containers.  I grabbed a 3lb bag of Vigoro for $7.00--more than enough for my limited use.  it was right next to a giant bag of Vigoro.  Didn't even consider  buying that much.  Started to walk away when I saw that the 20Lb bag of Vigoro was $10.00. As I go whoa, I see even a larger bag--40lbs- for $15.00.  I grab the 20lb bag, and take the 3lb bag with me to the cashier thinking  there was some kind of error . Now, I have 10 years of citrus food.  

I am off to Home Depot 😉 Just kidding!

I ended up with a big jug of alaska fish fertilizer from the clearance last fall for similar reasons. Now, rats, mice, raccoons, cats and other creatures find my garage a very interesting place due to the aroma. I used to previously buy small bottles and use them up quickly and never had this issue 🙂

• Like 1

I have a restaurant size box of cling wrap that I got at Sam's Club at least ten years ago...maybe 15. I don't have any idea what I paid for it but it was possibly the best purchase I have ever made. Way better quality and easier to use than grocery store saran wrap too. 

I have thought of giving it as a wedding gift or shower gift. It wouldn't be appreciated at the time but on their 20th anniversary it would be one wedding present they still have. LOL. Though they might not appreciate having to move it from house to house. Hahaha. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My dh has been known to buy very large quantities of things we won’t use for eons.  Like to Costco size pack of lint rollers.  I’m pretty sure he bought them at least 12 years ago.  We still haven’t used them all up.  But hey, at least we aren’t covered in lint! 😜

• Haha 4

Mine I was happy to find this year -- I needed a gazillion or so individual pencil pouches for my class, since ev.ery.thing. has to be in individual kid packs, because, Covid. And I teach K, 1st, and 2nd at a homeschool co-op. So ev.ery.thing. means play dough, counting bears, magnetic letters, crayons, markers, science stuff, and roughly 10,000 other things I can't think of right now b/c the AC was out at Orientation so I just spent 6-ish hours in 82 degrees (indoors) and my brain is still recovering. 

Anyway, I found a pack of 96 canvas zipper pencil pouches for $65, which was far & away the best deal, and way way way better than buying individually. As each of my things needed 10 sets (to cover one class)......super good deal. 

Well, my BFF and I started ordering from a local restaurant supply company in April and I now buy King Arthur Flour by the 50lb bag, rather than the 10 or 12 lb bags that I used to get at BJs. I am saving $0.10/lb, which isn't that much, but I no longer have to store bags of flour wherever they would fit all over the house (there is very little food storage/cabinet space in my kitchen, and we are a family of seven) because I bought a plastic 50lb dog food storage container WITH WHEELS to hold the bag. It is ridiculous, but it makes me happy. The entire bag stands up in the container, so I just roll it over to the counter and scoop out the flour. It's the little things. 😉

• Like 7

I received a box of about 10 boxes of (100?) wooden skewers for my wedding 23 years ago. I don't know how many boxes we have left, but we are still using them for kabobs. I still think fondly of my boss at the time who gifted them to us whenever we use them. So, not a purchase but definitely bulk.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Well, my BFF and I started ordering from a local restaurant supply company in April and I now buy King Arthur Flour by the 50lb bag, rather than the 10 or 12 lb bags that I used to get at BJs. I am saving $0.10/lb, which isn't that much, but I no longer have to store bags of flour wherever they would fit all over the house (there is very little food storage/cabinet space in my kitchen, and we are a family of seven) because I bought a plastic 50lb dog food storage container WITH WHEELS to hold the bag. It is ridiculous, but it makes me happy. The entire bag stands up in the container, so I just roll it over to the counter and scoop out the flour. It's the little things. 😉

Okay- I only have two kids left at home and I don’t bake bread daily like I used to but this would have made me SO happy about ten years ago. I totally get it!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have a restaurant size box of cling wrap that I got at Sam's Club at least ten years ago...maybe 15. I don't have any idea what I paid for it but it was possibly the best purchase I have ever made. Way better quality and easier to use than grocery store saran wrap too. 

I have thought of giving it as a wedding gift or shower gift. It wouldn't be appreciated at the time but on their 20th anniversary it would be one wedding present they still have. LOL. Though they might not appreciate having to move it from house to house. Hahaha. 

I have the Costco equivalent, which I bought 6 years ago when we moved here, and I still have half a roll left. The comment about giving it as a wedding gift made me laugh because when I was at Costco last week I grabbed a roll for DD, who is about to move into her first apartment (it really is vastly better, clingier stuff than you get on a tiny roll at the grocery store). But it only came in a pack of two, so I figured I would just give the other roll to DS for his college apartment (and that roll will probably still be in the kitchen drawer there 20 years form now, lol).

Then a few days ago I was looking for something in the deepest recesses of the pantry and found... the other roll from the two-pack I bought 6 years ago!  I'd say that one of my kids will inherit that roll when I die, but I'm pretty sure they'll still have 90% of their own rolls — maybe one of my future grandkids will inherit Grandma's special antique cling wrap. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I made up care packages for caregivers at the children's hospital. I was just going to make a few, then I found a deal on soap. It was 100 soaps, 50 shampoo & 50 conditioner for a low price which is escaping me now. I made 20 care packages and have 80 soaps and 30 shampoo & 30 conditioner left over.  so I told them when they get through those, I will make more for them. I may be making them the rest of my life before the supply quantities come out even.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1