Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW32: 52 Books Bingo - Noir

Robin M

43 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I have a TBR list for paper and ebooks, but I am bit lost on audio books because I am finicky about the voice.

Any suggestions for a book you recommend being listened to instead of read ? I would prefer fiction but I am ok with non-fiction. I am also ok with memoirs though as a last choice

I see now that you said memoir was your last choice...oops!

A list of memoirs read by the author ~

7 OF THE BEST AUDIOBOOK MEMOIRS NARRATED BY THE AUTHOR by Blaga Atanassova

(These aren't audio recommendations.)  I just stumbled on this list. As an immigrant, perhaps you'll find something of interest here ~ 

GREAT BOOKS ABOUT THE IMMIGRANT EXPERIENCE by BLAGA ATANASSOVA

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Kareni said:

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

The Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchausen by Rudolph Erich Raspe

"The fantastic story of the semimythical folk hero who has delighted generations of readers all over the world

Published anonymously in 1785, The Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchausen defies logic, the laws of physics, and even rational thought.

Karl Friedrich von Munchausen, also known as the Baron of Lies, was a retired army captain famed for his outlandish accounts of his war and hunting exploits. In this “memoir,” Munchausen regales readers with stories of dancing in the belly of a whale and riding on a horse cut in two. Other escapades include a balloon expedition to the moon, an encounter with the goddess Venus, a fiery battle with the Turkish army, and the experience of being swallowed up by a monstrous creature in the South Seas.

It was not until 1824 that Rudolf Erich Raspe was revealed as the book’s author. Although most of Munchausen’s tales sprang from Raspe’s imagination, the author is reputed to have known the notorious baron personally."

Also free ~

The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele Book 1)

How to Marry the Last Billionaire on Earth (Operation Billionaire Trilogy Book 3) by Elise Sax

Hot Mess (Hot Aussie Knights Book 1) by Amy Andrews

Regards,

Kareni

I can recommend The Watchmaker's Daughter -- I've enjoyed it and several of the sequels....although they do, eventually, need to solve their problem. It's gone on a bit too long for me to keep buying new novels to keep up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I have a TBR list for paper and ebooks, but I am bit lost on audio books because I am finicky about the voice.

Any suggestions for a book you recommend being listened to instead of read ? I would prefer fiction but I am ok with non-fiction. I am also ok with memoirs though as a last choice

Thanks !

Ooo, I do have some audiobooks I love!  I'm also very picky about the voice... 

• Moby-Dick narrated by William Hootkins (has to be him, he does an amazing job with the narration - I had a smile on my face the whole way through and was sad when it ended).
  • Milkman by Anna Burns - it's fairly new so I think there's likely only one audio version.  I've heard it can be hard to read as it's stream of consciousness and none of the characters have names, but as an audio it's just like someone's telling you a story, and the narrator has a lovely and appropriate Irish lilt (the book is set in Northern Ireland during the Troubles).  I loved it, and I think reading it might have been an entirely different experience.
  • Nonfiction, Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets by Svetlana Alexievich I think it might have been less compelling in print, as it's literally transcripts of oral interviews, and is narrated by a full cast.
  • Anything by Neil Gaiman that he narrates.  I'm not actually the hugest fan of his books, but I could listen to him narrate the phone book.

I have lots of other audios I've enjoyed, but those are the ones where I'd say don't read the book because the audio makes it even better!   Born a Crime is another, but you already did that one. 😄   Some others I found particularly good:

• Circe by Madeline Miller was also a stand-out for me on audio, but I might have loved it just as much in print.
  • Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett, same.
  • If you're at all interested in Botany overlapping with Native American ways of thinking, Robin Wall Kimmerer narrates her own books (nonfiction) and I really like her voice.  Braiding Sweetgrass and Gathering Moss.

And I loved the audio of Palace of Illusions, but you've already read that one too. 🙂

Edited by Matryoshka
typo!
  • Like 7

On 8/9/2020 at 8:37 PM, Dreamergal said:

Finally finished Born a Crime by Trevor Noah (audiobook) version.

I am not a big biography or memoir fan and Trevor is too young to have one anyway in my opinion. One of the legacies of British colonization is cricket and that is how apartheid was introduced to me. Long before I was born the ICC (the International Cricket council) banned South Africa from playing matches and commentators of different nationalities would always talk about the various players. The ban ended right after Mandela was released. So when I heard about someone growing up in apartheid I was curious to read this book.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:23 AM, Shawneinfl said:

I have had this book in my audible library for months but haven't started it yet. Your review has given me the kick-in-the-pants I need. I do love Trevor's voice and I believe that was the catalyst to my original purchase. I am a big fan of memoirs btw.

I'll add to the recommendations to listen to this one. Hearing it in Trevor Noah's voice made all the difference for me. I loved it.

On 8/11/2020 at 10:06 AM, Dreamergal said:

Also interesting how the older generation seems to prefer reading mysteries and thrillers per this survey. I can watch mysteries and thrillers, but do not want to read. I was raised on the gentle mysteries of Enid Blyton famous five where Timmy the dog could scare people away. I graduated to Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, then Sherlock Holmes. I have seen more Poirot and Agatha Christie than read. I prefer watching to reading mystery, thriller and suspense genre. But I have watched a whole lot of crime, detective and thriller shows in many languages. I am watching a Korean show currently airing called "Flower of Evil" which is riveting. I don't think I would be able to read it. 

All this rambling to say I am holding back from falling down the noir hole for now. 😊

I think I'm a bit of a Boomer outlier. I prefer ebooks and audio books to print, my news comes from online, my nonfiction is mostly history, biography, or true crime, and my genres are literary fiction, classics, and mysteries. I like most all mystery from cozy to noir, but I prefer something in between, as well as historical mysteries.I don't care much for thrillers. My book recommendations come from here at WTM, Goodreads, and IRL friends. I avoid best sellers like the plague, though I occasionally get sucked into one. Some surprise me but most confirm my reasons for avoiding them (I'm looking at you, Gone Girl.). 

On 8/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, aggieamy said:

I can't wait to hear about what car you get! I'm a boring middle aged lady that loves sports cars so let me live vicariously though your adventures while I putter around in my station wagon. 

I live Truman country. He was a KC native and we have a lot of respect for the man around here. He was kind, hard working, and unpretentious. Exactly what Midwesterners value. He was also broke. Apparently so broke that the Senate passed the Former Presidents Act so he and Bess would have some sort of retirement to live on. Truman was embarrassed to be in that position and word got back to Hoover so Hoover decided to take the retirement also (despite being independently wealthy) so Truman wouldn't be the only one and be embarrassed. That warmed my heart to hear that story. I'm sure it could be spun to be a story of greed (this wealthy man decides to take a government retirement) but I think Hoover did do it out of kindness. 

I might have a lot of strong opinions on a man while he's president but when he's the former president I cut him a lot of slack. 

I scrolled twice looking for @Robin M's post about cars then realized it was from last week. 🙂  My dream fun car has always been a classic Mustang convertible. I didn't know the Charger was back until ds 23, our car guy, was talking about it recently. 

I've had David McCullough's massive biography of Truman on my TBR list for several years and started it a few times. This was going to be my year to read it but Covid messed with my reading goals. I still want to get to it eventually. 

• Like 8

On 8/11/2020 at 10:06 AM, aggieamy said:

Ditto on the Bible thoughts. I don't know anyone that does an hour a day! And I'm hanging out with some book loving people. 

Did I just grow up around a lot of Baptists, Campbellites, and Pentecostals? They aren't reading for an hour in the sense of plowing through (though they're likely doing their Bible-in-a-year), they're reading it devotionally --  meditating, praying, discerning God's will for them. Lots of people in lots of cultures get in a daily hour total of prayer/meditation/devotional time; it's just in one culture it centers on reading.

• Like 6

Thought I'd make my book update separate from my previous post -

I needed a break from Plutarch. The audio book is 83+ hours long and I have 40 hrs., 24 min. left. I'm more than halfway through and still have 40+ hours left! I used my Audible credit on the 2 for 1 sale and picked up The Traitor and the Spy: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War, and Live From New York: An Oral History of Saturday Night Live. I always look at Audible reviews before getting an audio book because not all books are good on audio. Both of these had good reviews as audio books. I couldn't decide if I wanted Cold War intrigue or behind the scenes fun and feuds first, but finally settled on The Traitor and the Spy. I'm old enough to have seen the very first SNL episode, and have watched on and off ever since (taking a break through their truly awful phase) so I'm looking forward to listening to that one at another time.

My other reading hasn't changed. I'm still reading a hardcover copy of The Island of Lost Maps. On my Kindle I'm reading The Romanovs, Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr mystery), and Mansfield Park. I expect to be reading these for a while since I have four going at the same time.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Did I just grow up around a lot of Baptists, Campbellites, and Pentecostals? They aren't reading for an hour in the sense of plowing through (though they're likely doing their Bible-in-a-year), they're reading it devotionally --  meditating, praying, discerning God's will for them. Lots of people in lots of cultures get in a daily hour total of prayer/meditation/devotional time; it's just in one culture it centers on reading.

I grew up Catholic in the 60s and 70s, and the jokes about Catholics not reading the Bible were true. We were supposed to get interpretations of it from our priest. I think that might have changed somewhere along the line because I hear about Catholics reading it now, but I would think Catholic Boomers and Silent Generation still don't add Bible reading to their reading time.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I grew up Catholic in the 60s and 70s, and the jokes about Catholics not reading the Bible were true. We were supposed to get interpretations of it from our priest. I think that might have changed somewhere along the line because I hear about Catholics reading it now, but I would think Catholic Boomers and Silent Generation still don't add Bible reading to their reading time.

Two good points here. The gals I know might be spending an hour a day on spiritual things between Adoration, Rosary, reading the Bible but I don't think it's a solid hour of sitting and only reading the Bible. 

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 7

I may end up having to revamp my reading goals for the year.  We had a family meeting and have decided no kids will be going in-person to school this year.  The kids have asked specifically to go back to "old school" homeschooling, so I'm teaching all but foreign language and two writing classes.

I have finished Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5) by Faith Hunter.  I love her characters.  Witching for Hope (Premonition Pointe #2) by Deanna Chase was a nice quick read when I had a quiet evening.  Repeat by Kylie Scott was good as suggested. Thanks for the recommendation!  And finally,  Ink (7th and Main) by Elizabeth Hunter kept me up a little too late one night and I have the next queued. (Yes, I appear to be reading all the Elizabeth Hunter I've missed over the years.)

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I think that's true. Even active Catholics who are readers generally read devotional writings instead.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, melmichigan said:

I may end up having to revamp my reading goals for the year.  We had a family meeting and have decided no kids will be going in-person to school this year.  The kids have asked specifically to go back to "old school" homeschooling, so I'm teaching all but foreign language and two writing classes.

Yeah that's what's killed off my leisure reading time. I just finished a loooong chapter on Teddy Roosevelt and the Panama Canal and now it's back to The Gilded Age

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Ooo, I do have some audiobooks I love!  I'm also very picky about the voice... 

• Moby-Dick narrated by William Hootkins (has to be him, he does an amazing job with the narration - I had a smile on my face the whole way through and was sad when it ended).
  • Milkman by Anna Burns - it's fairly new so I think there's likely only one audio version.  I've heard it can be hard to read as it's stream of consciousness and none of the characters have names, but as an audio it's just like someone's telling you a story, and the narrator has a lovely and appropriate Irish lilt (the book is set in Northern Ireland during the Troubles).  I loved it, and I think reading it might have been an entirely different experience.
  • Nonfiction, Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets by Svetlana Alexievich I think it might have been less compelling in print, as it's literally transcripts of oral interviews, and is narrated by a full cast.
  • Anything by Neil Gaiman that he narrates.  I'm not actually the hugest fan of his books, but I could listen to him narrate the phone book.

Thanks for these suggestions.  I also love Neil Gaiman’s narrations.  For a moment I thought he had a new book narration out called Anything that I could get! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Coming here to say that I finished reading "Lord," by Joao Gilberto Noll, and I give it one thumb down. It's a novel about an elderly Brazilian writer who travels to London because he's gotten a mysterious grant to do an unspecified project. He goes into a fugue state almost as soon as he gets to London. I thought it was going to be psychological and romantic. I really love Knut Hamsun and I really thought this was going to be like that and it was not. So much needless grotesque imagery, so much unnecessary sex and violence, maybe I'm a prude but I thought the book was very shallow. Anyway now I know.

Now I'm looking for my next book. The Jungle has also been sitting on my shelf for a few years, waiting to be read. Maybe I'll try that...

• Like 6

I just finished The Enforcer Enigma: The San Andreas Shifters by G. L. Carriger; this was a pleasant read, but I don't think this is a book I'll be rereading. (Significant adult content)

"ENFORCER

Judd has wandered from pack to pack his whole life, searching for wolves who will accept him for who he is and who he loves. Now he believes that he's finally found the right pack and the right man.

NERD

Rejected by his family for being gay and geeky, Colin has never fit in with werewolves, yet now he is one. He doesn’t know how to react when Judd starts courting him. He’s even more lost when a famous singer, the selkie mob, and the feds also start chasing him.

Can Judd protect Colin and still prove his love? Can Colin figure out why enemy shifters are invading his favorite cafe? And what's with all the gold sparkle?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I finished three books since my last update: one poetry, one play, and one nonfiction.

Poetry:

Felon: An excellent book of poems by Reginald Dwayne Betts. I am not sure that I would have appreciated it as much without reading his memoir first, but I do think it stands alone just fine. His best known poem is perhaps "When I Think of Tamir Rice While Driving," which you can read with the link. I also became very interested in the visual artist who did the cover art: Titus Kaphar. The link goes to a short YouTube video about him and his work.

Play: 

Antigone (transl. Reginald Gibbons) by Sophocles. This was my first time reading a Sophocles play, and I did it because I wanted to watch the Theater of War production that @Melissa M told us about. Melissa, I can't thank you enough for alerting me to the Theater of War production company. I loved everything about it. I have already signed up for the next live stream on the 19th, and will hopefully read Women of Trachis (transl. Robert Bagg) and Philocotes (transl. James Scully) before the event

I more-or-less knew the story of Antigone already, but these next two are completely new to me. I'm not being picky about the translations. I'm just using what I can get from the library.

Nonfiction:

White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo. This was certainly a book worth reading and contemplating, but I think that at this point the ideas have been so widely disseminated across the internet that I often felt like I had already read it. That being said, it was useful for me to read the ideas as they were written in the book.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 6

Crazy hot here and currently at 106. Yesterday was 109. How are y'all doing?  Busy week but found time to read a space opera  romance that reminds me of B movies.  Eon Warriors series with hot alien men and tough warrior women.  Dialogue gives me the giggles. Needed something fluffy but action oriented to entertain me.  Read #1 Edge of Eon and currently on #2 Touch of Eon.  Most of the series available on Kindle unlimited so at least not wasting money.  

• Like 5

On 8/9/2020 at 1:28 PM, Pen said:

Fiction possibly fitting noir?   The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 

Yes and I enjoyed it enough to read all three books in the trilogy. 

On 8/9/2020 at 2:37 PM, mumto2 said:

This week’s reading included The Secret Chapter which is number six in Cogman’s Invisible Library series.  I liked this one more than the last couple of books in the series with the highlight being we finally got to meet Irene’s parents who I had wondered about.  Apparently number seven has already been released so I will probably read that one soon.

I think I'm on book four.  Liked the first three books. 

On 8/9/2020 at 3:12 PM, Kareni said:

What a colorful set of titles, Robin!

They are, aren't they. Hadn't noticed until now.  🙂 

On 8/9/2020 at 7:33 PM, Little Green Leaves said:

I love this theme. What distinguishes noir from other detective novels? I guess we can't call Agatha Christie, or any of those British puzzle mysteries noir -- but what about Simenon?

5 Noir reads by Georges Simenon.   What sets noir apart from other detective novels is the darker themes and the detective I think is more of an anti heroes. Very flawed and  not totally likeable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2020 at 7:49 AM, aggieamy said:

I can't wait to hear about what car you get! I'm a boring middle aged lady that loves sports cars so let me live vicariously though your adventures while I putter around in my station wagon. 

I volunteer to be a beta reader if you're looking for ones yet!

Yes, I'll be needing beta readers but it will probably be the end of the year before I'm done. 

We're getting a Dodge Charger. It's a toss up between the 5.7 V8 and the 6.4 V8. Hubby wants the 6.4 of course. We didn't get to test drive last sunday because the dealership basically did a bait and switch. Yes, we have it.  The sales guy was all cute and cuddly, willing to do what ever it took, and his manager was sorry, we aren't getting the car here unless you commit first.  Bye, bye. Besides the fact, we had done our homework and knew what the cost of the car was and they were $5k higher than the price we were seeing elsewhere. Happily we found a dealer in a nearby town who is honoring the internet price and we're making finally decision tomorrow after driving both cars.   

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

I could not read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or any of the books. But I watched all 3 Swedish movies starring Noomi Rapace. I just can't read noir. :blush:

@Penguin Thanks for the poetry recommendation. 

I like Nordic Noir and couldn’t make it through Girl with a Dragon Tatoo.  That may be the most identifiable series but wasn’t something I liked.  I’m not a Nesbo fan either! 😂

Some of the books I have enjoyed .........Personally I consider Nordic Noir to be an oddly intriguing rather grim genre.  The detectives are always flawed......sometimes very flawed.  Definitely not cozy’s.......all sorts of trigger warnings generally.  This list is not gentle at all,  but they are probably my favorites in the genre.

The Keeper of Lost Causes...........I ❤️Department Q and have been purposely savoring them so not done with the series........ https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12575824-the-keeper-of-lost-causes 

Snowblind by Ragnar Johansson  .......the author has a couple of series and the ones in this series are the least dark by Johanansson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25067569-snowblind 

Snow Angels by James Thompson.......the author was actually an American expat married to a Finn. The characters in the books are reversed.....the police dective is a Finn  and the wife an American. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10112368-snow-angels

The Dinosaur Feather was the first Nordic Noir I tried because we had a huge Dino obsession for years at my house.  Actually had a paleontology student as a tutor.  I loved it but it’s violent, I think the topic carried me through https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50190686-the-dinosaur-feather?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=WKVXx2ndvy&rank=2 

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Yes, I'll be needing beta readers but it will probably be the end of the year before I'm done. 

We're getting a Dodge Charger. It's a toss up between the 5.7 V8 and the 6.4 V8. Hubby wants the 6.4 of course. We didn't get to test drive last sunday because the dealership basically did a bait and switch. Yes, we have it.  The sales guy was all cute and cuddly, willing to do what ever it took, and his manager was sorry, we aren't getting the car here unless you commit first.  Bye, bye. Besides the fact, we had done our homework and knew what the cost of the car was and they were $5k higher than the price we were seeing elsewhere. Happily we found a dealer in a nearby town who is honoring the internet price and we're making finally decision tomorrow after driving both cars.   

You can sign me up as a beta reader too! 🙂

Ugg,  glad you found a dealership to work with.  I think they are the really popular cool car right now as I see several on the road now that I am looking!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Robin M said:

Yes and I enjoyed it enough to read all three books in the trilogy. 

I think I'm on book four.  Liked the first three books. 

They are, aren't they. Hadn't noticed until now.  🙂 

5 Noir reads by Georges Simenon.   What sets noir apart from other detective novels is the darker themes and the detective I think is more of an anti heroes. Very flawed and  not totally likeable. 

Thank you so much for that Simenon link! I'm excited to look for Tropic Moon.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I like Nordic Noir and couldn’t make it through Girl with a Dragon Tatoo.  That may be the most identifiable series but wasn’t something I liked.  I’m not a Nesbo fan either! 😂

Some of the books I have enjoyed .........Personally I consider Nordic Noir to be an oddly intriguing rather grim genre.  The detectives are always flawed......sometimes very flawed.  Definitely not cozy’s.......all sorts of trigger warnings generally.  This list is not gentle at all,  but they are probably my favorites in the genre.

The Keeper of Lost Causes...........I ❤️Department Q and have been purposely savoring them so not done with the series........ https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12575824-the-keeper-of-lost-causes 

Snowblind by Ragnar Johansson  .......the author has a couple of series and the ones in this series are the least dark by Johanansson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25067569-snowblind 

Snow Angels by James Thompson.......the author was actually an American expat married to a Finn. The characters in the books are reversed.....the police dective is a Finn  and the wife an American. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10112368-snow-angels

The Dinosaur Feather was the first Nordic Noir I tried because we had a huge Dino obsession for years at my house.  Actually had a paleontology student as a tutor.  I loved it but it’s violent, I think the topic carried me through https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50190686-the-dinosaur-feather?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=WKVXx2ndvy&rank=2 

Thank you for this list!! It looks great.

Years ago I read a couple of detective novels by a Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo. I had google because I had forgotten their names, but I still remember loving those books. They're police procedurals, set in Sweden and (I think) not Stockholm. The characters are complex and interesting; there's also a lot of detail about the environment. I had a lot of fun also seeing what people were eating and drinking, what kinds of vacations they had, all of those little details of ordinary life.

• Like 5