Menu

Books for "girls" and "boys"...

Do stories about "boys", have to be for the "boy audience", and vice versa?

Will "The Little Princess" only appeal to gilrs?

Will "Anne of Green Gables" only appeal to girls?

Will boys like "The Little House on the Prairie"?

As a girl myself - I think I am drwn to "girly" books -- or is this a sterotype?

When my boys were little I read the Little House books aloud to them and they enjoyed them. We also watched Anne of Green Gables as a family. Now that they are older (my baby is 11) they are no longer interested in what they perceive as "girly" books.

Ria

I don't know and really wonder.

I have tried several times for each title to get my sons (7 & almost 5) interested in Anne of Green Gables, Little House, and Black Beauty and try as I might, they're not having it.

Also to my shock and horror they're not interested in The Wind in the Willows.

They would much rather I read them Famous Men of Rome, Swallows and Amazons, Where the Red Fern Grows, and books of this nature.

They liked Caddie Woodlawn, for example.

What they really don't like are books that feature love and romance. They liked Witch of Blackbird Pond until it turned into a "who will the girl marry" book. They just aren't interested in courtship and marriage, and are turned off by books that include that, even as a sub-plot.

Snickerdoodle,

Two of the books you mention have really advanced vocab and long descriptions. Could that be part of it?

I agree that action seems to rule for many boys.

I don't know? I read them The Hobbit and they loved it. They are not shy about asking what something means.

By the way, I do get the best book ideas from this forum and a big Thank You for that.

Ds loved Ann of Green Gables and Little House books.

Ds is however enjoying Robin Hood more than Dd. She is not girly girly but ds is just a Robin Hood fan and she isnt. She enjoyed Robinson Crusoe though.

When read aloud, ds enjoyed many books I didnt think he would, and dd too. Its good not to have too many pre conceptions and just be open to possibilities.

We have spent the last two school years reading thru "The Great Illustrated Classics" series. Since I have one boy and one girl, I would alternate between a "girl book" and a "boy book". We could read "The Secret Garden" one month and then "Journey to the Center of the Earth" the next. They both enjoyed them all the same! We found that the girl books usually deal with emotional things, family issues, etc., and the boy books were more action-y and adventuresome. We came to love both genres since they are so different!

I always liked books with boys in them. Or girls doing boyish things.

I would have loved Laura Ingalls and Almanzo Wilder as I do now. I only knew them through the TV show when I was a kid. I have a hard time liking Mary Ingalls much, just as I did when I watched the show on TV.

The mystery of The Secret Garden is the only thing that kept me reading that book when I was a kid. I wanted to slap Mary Lennox and her crybaby cousin! I did like her better when she talked about wanting to smack Colin herself, though. That showed a little bit of spunk. Dickon was my favorite character.

The Little Princess was okay because even though she was a bit spoiled to start with, she had a kind heart and could handle whatever was thrown at her with grace and dignity. She was a tough little broad inspite of being raised in princess style.

Where the Red Fern Grows and Where the Lilies Bloom were two of my favorite childhood books. One is about a boy and his dogs and the other is about a very tough girl who takes charge of her family when her father dies. I don't like prissy, wimpy girl characters in children's or adult's books. I love Jane Austen's novels because even though they may have romantic elements to them and the women may be all in dresses and engaged in ladylike activities, the heroines always have spunk, and the girly-girls are held in less esteem.

My youngest son loved the Little House books, btw. My oldest son liked them okay, but he did get a little impatient with them not having more boys in them. They both thought that Laura was alright, though.

Just thought of this. Youngest dd is more of a girly-girl though also kind of a jock. She did not like the My Side of the Mountain series as much as the other kids, but became more interested when Sam's sister showed up on the scene. Likewise with Robin Hood. She liked it, but not as much as books with girls as the main character. The Little House series and Because of Winn Dixie are her favorites so far, so I think she's drawn to girl characters who are a little more tomboy than princess.

Lately she's been getting interested in stories that have a little more romance in them though. The book she is currently reading is The Princess Diaries. If it's like the movie, the girl isn't such a girly-girl but she still gets to experience all that glitter with a touch of romance too. (Sorry, I haven't read the book.) This sounds so much like her personality overall. She loves clothes and shoes and glitz and glamor, but she's very athletic and loves animals and being outdoors too. I think she wants books with characters who reflect both sides of her personality. Hmmm...lightbulb moment on what direction to look for books for my reluctant reader!