Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW25: Happy Father's Day

Robin M

I finished A Stranger in Mayfair by Charles Finch - Despite my historical nitpicking the mystery was good and lots of twists and turns just as I like. I find myself comparing the series in my mind to the Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries and wonder if Mr. Finch might hunt down whoever fact checks for her because they're spot on with historical accuracy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

I finished A Stranger in Mayfair by Charles Finch - Despite my historical nitpicking the mystery was good and lots of twists and turns just as I like. I find myself comparing the series in my mind to the Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries and wonder if Mr. Finch might hunt down whoever fact checks for her because they're spot on with historical accuracy. 

Pretty sure CS Harris has a PhD in history and it shows in her books!   I read the new one btw.........Who Speaks for the Damned was good.  There was something smoother (maybe?) about it.  Thinking the series may have entered the long term phase.

Finch and the closets crack me up......I lived in a new build in England and had one cubbyhole type closet in the entire house.  Another new flat we were in at first had none!😂.  They are a rarity today! My only thought was wardrobes are weirdly sometimes called closets by Brits when they are fitted semi permanent .

• Like 5

From Tor.com ~

This Week’s Tor.com eBook Club Selection is...

THE CALCULATING STARS
by
Mary Robinette Kowal

On a cold spring night in 1952, a huge meteorite fell to earth and obliterated much of the east coast of the United States, including Washington D.C. The ensuing climate cataclysm will soon render the earth inhospitable for humanity, as the last such meteorite did for the dinosaurs. This looming threat calls for a radically accelerated effort to colonize space, and requires a much larger share of humanity to take part in the process.

Elma York’s experience as a WASP pilot and mathematician earns her a place in the International Aerospace Coalition’s attempts to put man on the moon, as a calculator. But with so many skilled and experienced women pilots and scientists involved with the program, it doesn’t take long before Elma begins to wonder why they can’t go into space, too.

Elma’s drive to become the first Lady Astronaut is so strong that even the most dearly held conventions of society may not stand a chance against her.

Download before 11:59 PM ET, June 26th, 2020.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole

Plus some bookish posts ~

The Best History Books: the 2020 Wolfson Prize shortlist

https://fivebooks.com/best-books/history-2020-wolfson-richard-evans/

Where to Start with Diana Wynne Jones

https://www.tor.com/2015/12/16/where-to-start-with-diana-wynne-jones/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Shawneinfl said:

Negin, I am happy to send you any books you like. I frequently grab up classics at the Goodwill Store that are in mint condition. I think it's time for me to make another book buying expedition soon, virus or no virus.

Shawne, thank you. You are too kind. I'll think about it and let you know. I wish that I could be there with you! 

My Kindle is so convenient. It annoys me that we may need to do all this. Life should not be this way. I know that sounds a bit simplistic. I just miss life being pleasant and simple. I'm too old for all of this. 

• Like 5

On 6/21/2020 at 10:48 AM, Shawneinfl said:

Perhaps we should start a list of things that could end up on the chopping block.

I think by looking at the list of banned and challenged books, we'll be able to determine what books would end up on the chopping block.

My sister was just telling me about a small book store somewhere in oregon and people have started to take offense at her banned books display. She refused to remove them of course and now the city council is having a meeting with the public to determine whether they will allow her to do it.   So infuriating!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

On 6/21/2020 at 10:39 AM, Violet Crown said:

She said it wasn't entirely clear, other than white, male, out of date, wrong values. The very vagueness was part of what worried her. 

I wonder if she's given any thought to publicizing the list which would probably go viral as it is so offensive as well as stepping way over the bounds of privacy and censorship?

• Like 4

On 6/21/2020 at 10:32 AM, Violet Crown said:

Also, sorry to say, abandoning Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Wee Girl and I were halfway through and bored to tears. WG couldn't take one more list of polysyllabic fish species that Mommy struggled to pronounce. I couldn't take one more list of pointless figures, measurements, and factoids. I'd started replacing (e.g.) "we were then at 154 degrees 15 minutes west longitude, 33 degrees 47 minutes south latitude" with "we were somewhere in the ocean." Even the promise of a giant squid to come wasn't enough to make us go on.

I don't blame you one bit. I read it out loud to James and started skipping over quite a bit of detail. I'd stop reading for a minute to skim ahead until could get back into the meat of the story and James would say "mom, why are you stopping, or wait I want to hear that part."  *facepalm*  

On 6/21/2020 at 7:46 PM, aggieamy said:

And I secretly went in and took the book off my Goodreads shelf without mentioning to anyone because I'm a coward and don't want to admit that I didn't like the book. And then I read a PG Wodehouse book and loved everything about it. And I contemplated not even posting that I read it because it seemed so insensitive but PG Wodehouse was and still is a master of comedy and he deserves that credit. 

Which is kind of sad when we start thinking of censoring ourselves on Goodreads, because someone might take offense at what we read. There will always be one person who hated the book for this, that, and the other reason.  We can't let misguided thinking infringe on our reading and learning and enjoyment. 

• Like 5

On 6/21/2020 at 9:03 PM, SereneHome said:

I would love nothing more than to read books from all kinds of diverse authors. The problem is that either I am a horrible picker of books or it really is hard to find well written contemporary fiction. It almost feels like there are boxes that are being checked off by publishers and I think it's creating an era of literary crap.

Another thing that bothers me is that when I read reviews on Amazon or Goodreads it seems that I am in a minority. People would be raving about a book and I get all excited and then can't get through the first 50 pages. Either I became even more of a snob in my "old" age or I have become completely unable to recognize good literature.....

I think we're in the era of literary crap because there are many books that are being self published which don't go through the rigorous editing process performed by the small press and major publishers.  There have been plenty of books that others have enjoyed that I disliked a great deal and like you couldn't get past the first 50 pages. I don't think it's a matter of being a snob or being unable to recognize good literature, I think it's more a matter of individual taste.  

On 6/22/2020 at 12:09 AM, vmsurbat1 said:

Neither! Being of more mature years myself, I think it is a combo of gained wisdom & critiquing ability plus the growing realization that life is too short to waste reading "literary crap," as you state so well...

Yes, this! 

On 6/22/2020 at 8:17 AM, aggieamy said:

As I get older I've given myself permission to put books away that I don't like. Back in my younger days I would push on and be miserable but I've got too many books I do want to read to put the time and effort into something that doesn't catch my attention. 

This too! 

On 6/22/2020 at 8:31 AM, Seasider too said:

I remember many years ago there was a thread similar to this - elegantlion would remember. We started talking about ebooks and how easily a book could be revised with a few keystrokes. There were references to F451 and we made lists of books to keep in hardcopy. I am thinking we might really need that list now. 

Perhaps @elegantlion physically kept the list and still has it or @Kareni with her amazing skills for finding the threads we have lost, will be able to find it.  Unless it was before the board changed over to the new version. 

On 6/22/2020 at 10:39 AM, SereneHome said:

It would be so cool to have lunch with you and talk about books.

Yes, that would be cool,

21 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

I wish we could all have an IRL book group!

If only we all lived closer, 

21 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I am really missing good, adult (non Covid) conversation.  Where we can talk about books, ideas, have friendly debates on ideas, etc.

But since we don't,  In the absence of IRL, isn't that what we're doing here?

• Like 4

16 hours ago, LaughingCat said:

What I found is that reading boring parts to myself is FAR different than reading them aloud.  I skim-read all the boring parts -- and only realized this when I tried to read certain books aloud to my kids -and we're talking books I'd read many, many times to myself and loved!  (Swallows and Amazons, I'm looking at you).  

Definitely. We moved on to reading aloud from the Young Folks' Library, which is going much better. Yesterday I read to her the absolutely crazy story "The Seven Champions of Christendom" from Vol. 1, which is basically late medieval fan fiction. Today we'll read Teddy Roosevelt on "The Strenuous Life."

• Like 6

You're scaring me, folks, with the banned book talk.

So thankful that I have yet to be able to make myself make the jump to an e-reader, so I have a massive print book collection, and it looks like I'd better add a few more titles to our overflowing shelves. I'm all for *including* new and diverse voices in the literature that I personally read, that I cover in my co-op classes, and for adding them to classic book lists ... but have we as a society learned nothing from history or from books themselves about the dangers of *censorship* and *banning* and *burning* books?!!  😵😢

Finished all 4 books of the YA series, The Agency, by S.E. Lee.

Wow, I really wanted to love this series; the setting (late 1850s, Victorian England), the unique character twist (Chinese-Irish young woman saved from the gallows at age 12 for thieving), and the premise (secret agency of all-female spies) sounded fantastic.

I really thought it was going to be a bit more of an "alternative history" setting and spend a lot of time on the training, tricks, gadgetry, and intrigue that would have made for an exciting and fun mystery series. Alas, instead, each of the books spends a large number of pages on teen romance angst, and skips right over all the stuff that would have been cool and interesting to read about. So, no real character development -- which is a real shame, with such an interesting set-up and background for this character. And no descriptions of training, no gadgetry. Very few tricks, and not much intrigue.

There is one interesting aspect in each book: #1 = the "Great Stink" of the Thames due to a heat wave; #2 = building of the "new" House of Parliament and Big Ben; #3 =Buckingham Palace; #4 = British Museum.

I have to say, if I hadn't bought print versions of the books with the expectation that they were going to be a fun something other than they are, I wouldn't have read beyond book 1. So, a disappointment.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 6

On 6/21/2020 at 10:32 AM, Violet Crown said:

...Can we talk about "soft" book banning? ... was chatting with a friend after church this morning, whom I haven't seen since start of lockdown. She works in a publishing-related industry, and the employees were all just told -- apparently on account of books seen on their home bookshelves in Zoom meetings -- that they needed to de-colonize their bookshelves. As an implied condition of their continued employment. They were sent extensive instructions, not just on adding Correct books, but on disposing of Incorrect books...

I find the "Big Brother"-ish-ness of this highly disturbing -- looking at the books IN YOUR HOME via Zoom and telling you to "de-colonize", and what the "correct" books to have on the shelves of your HOME LIBRARY should be, IN ORDER TO KEEP YOUR JOB.

I can't imagine the ACLU would be on board with this policy of an employer dictating what you may read in your own home -- whether you're in a book-related field or something completely else -- AND the "spying" aspect of using what is seen in your home via Zoom to determine whether or not the employer will retain you or let you go. Sounds like a lawsuit in the making to me...

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Robin M said:

I wonder if she's given any thought to publicizing the list which would probably go viral as it is so offensive as well as stepping way over the bounds of privacy and censorship?

(I wrote a longer answer to this and the internet ate it. Shorter version, probably for the better.)

It wasn't a list. It was a directive to "decolonize" their bookshelves, with tips on how to do it, in a vague email that nevertheless successfully conveyed the employees' strong employment interest in doing so.

Trying to identify and protect banned or potentially banned books is the solution to yesterday's problem. Today's censors are smarter than that. There are no (or few) specific books or writers to ban. There's only too many books by the wrong people and not enough by the right people; too much interest in the wrong things and not enough interest in the right things. 

This is a quantum improvement on the old method of censorship. There's no specific threatened book you can put on a display. There are only principles to defend; principles which are indefensible. Personal preference? Literary merit? Those sound awfully subjective. Who did you learn those principles from anyway? Yes that's who I thought.

Edited by Violet Crown
incomplete sentence
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I find the "Big Brother"-ish-ness of this highly disturbing -- looking at the books IN YOUR HOME via Zoom and telling you to "de-colonize", and what the "correct" books to have on the shelves of your HOME LIBRARY should be, IN ORDER TO KEEP YOUR JOB.

I can't imagine the ACLU would be on board with this policy of an employer dictating what you may read in your own home -- whether you're in a book-related field or something completely else -- AND the "spying" aspect of using what is seen in your home via Zoom to determine whether or not the employer will retain you or let you go. Sounds like a lawsuit in the making to me...

"implied."

She knows how to read an employer's email, and her employer knows how to write one. There's nothing to sue over.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

"implied."

She knows how to read an employer's email, and her employer knows how to write one. There's nothing to sue over.

Seriously, the employer at least needs to be called out on the abuse of Zoom -- using it to look into employees' homes and make judgments about them. It is exactly what ISIS does -- going into homes and making judgments about the faith and loyalty of the occupants based upon what's in the home.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Seriously, the employer at least needs to be called out on the abuse of Zoom -- using it to look into employees' homes and make judgments about them. It is exactly what ISIS does -- going into homes and making judgments about the faith and loyalty of the occupants based upon what's in the home.

+ 1000. In fact, the oddest thing about the conversation with my friend was that this aspect didn't really bother her. She's quite a bit younger than me and I was surprised that she wasn't outraged at the invasion of privacy, but put it down to the generational difference. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Welp! I had to give up on audible book Shadow of the Wind because I couldn't download it for some reason. I tried to listen to Patricia Brigg's Masques but the narrator was loud and the characters voices were too soft so no go.  I've settled on Kevin Hearne's Hounded for the moment.  

I finished #1 and #2 in Becky Chamber's Wayfarer series A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and A Closed and Common Orbit. Space Operas that are a reflection of the times right now it seems as they hit on cultural differences and diversity, getting along, how history has played a factor, along with science and artificial intelligence. 

• Like 5

I read a historical romance novella,  Refugees by Kim Fielding which I enjoyed. It had a slight otherworldly aspect to it. (Adult content)

"When World War II ended and army medic Walter Clark returned to Chicago, he discovered that although home remained the same, he had changed. Unable to fit comfortably into his old life, he spent a year gradually making his way west. Now he’s gone as far as he can—the shore of the Pacific—but old memories make ocean views intolerable. He turns inland and finds himself in the hidden hamlet of Kiteeshaa, Oregon, where the locals are surprisingly friendly and the café serves food exactly like his grandmother used to make.

Martin Wright runs the Kitee Motor Court Inn and offers Walter a place to stay for a few nights. Later, Martin offers him a great deal more. But while Martin is a delight, he also harbors secrets; and there’s something not quite right about Kiteeshaa. No matter how far the two men have traveled, they can’t run away from their pasts."

I also reread with pleasure Linesman  by S. K. Dunstall.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Interweb wanderings today:

From John Scalzi: I’m not at 51 who I was at 29

brainpickings Vintage Science Face Masks

Npr's Summer Reader Poll 2020: Meet Our Esteemed Panelists!

Bookpage's Worlds that Could Have Been

Novel Suspects Can You predict TV Crime Show Endings

Gabrielle Bellot gives us much to think about with The Wildness of Maurice Sendak

• Like 4

FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - BOOK 2

chap. 3: “The Ring Goes South”

The arming of the hero (a frequent stage in the Hero's Quest) -- Bilbo passes on his sword Sting to Frodo.

The final 2 members of the fellowship are decided -- and kinship/friendship wins out over might, as Merry and Pippin get to go, rather than 2 might Elf-lords of Elrond's household. And Gandalf is the unexpected voice of support for the hobbits! 😍

Love this little "window" into Sam's character:

• “Sam was standing by the pony... 'Bill, my lad,' he said, ‘you oughtn't to have took up with us. You could have stayed here and et the best hay till the new grass comes.'"
  • "Sam eased the pack on his shoulders, and went over anxiously in his mind all the things that he had stowed in it, wondering if he had forgotten anything: his chief treasure, his cooking gear; and the little box of salt that he always carried and refilled when he could; a good supply of pipe-weed (but not near enough, I'll warrant); flint and tinder; woollen hose: linen; various small belongings of his master's that Frodo had forgotten and Sam had stowed to bring them out in triumph when they were called for."
  • "‘Rope!' he muttered. ‘No rope! And only last night you said to yourself: "Sam, what about a bit of rope? You'll want it, if you haven't got it:" Well, I'll want it. I can't get it now.’"

Elrond's prayer and blessing upon the fellowship as they leave for their quest:

• "... go now with good hearts! Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you. May the stars shine upon your faces!”

Aragorn and Boromir shine in this chapter.

• Aragorn's praise of Boromir: “… Boromir will also be in the Company. He is a valiant man.”
  • Boromir's advice (coming as he does from a realm that has mountains) to take bundles of wood up the mountain pass in case of blizzard -- and it saves them.
  • The sheer physical strength of Boromir and Aragorn that forces a path through the high drifts of snow so the fellowship can retreat.

LOL -- a little comic relief with Legolas and Gandalf, as they are trapped by the snow drifts up on the Redhorn Mountain:

• Legolas: “If Gandalf would go before us with a bright flame, he might melt a path for you.”
    Gandalf: “If Elves could fly over mountains, they might fetch the Sun to save us… But I must have something to work on. I cannot burn snow.”
    Boromir: “When heads are at a loss bodies must serve, as we say in my country. The strongest of us must seek a way [by beating a path through the snow drifts].”
    Legolas: “The strongest must seek a way, say you? But I say: let a ploughman plough, but...  for running light over grass and leaf or over snow—an Elf.”
  • Legolas [upon returning from his scouting]: "Well… I have not brought the Sun. She is walking in the blue fields of the South, and a little wreath of snow on this Redhorn hillock troubles her not at all.."

chap. 4: “A Journey in the Dark”
The beginning of half of this chapter is owned by Sam, lol:

Stout-hearted and trusting Sam, trusting in Gandalf's leadership, power, and wisdom, first when wolves are howling all around them, and then after Gandalf ignites a ring of fire around them to deter the wolves:

• “'My heart's right down in my toes, Mr. Pippin... But we aren't etten yet, and there are some stout folk here with us. Whatever may be in store for old Gandalf, I'll wager it isn't a wolf's belly."
  • “What did I tell you, Mr. Pippin? ... Wolves won't get him. That was an eye-opener, and no mistake! Nearly singed the hair off my head!"

Sam's loyal love for the pony Bill, rescued back in Bree from the abusive Bill Ferny--and Gandalf's compassion for both Sam and for Bill the pony, as he lays hands on Bill and blesses him with a prayer of protection when they have to turn Bill loose:

• " 'It will be short of murder, I hope,' said Gandalf. He laid his hand on the pony's head, and spoke in a low voice. `Go with words of guard and guiding on you,' he said. `You are a wise beast, and have learned much in Rivendell. Make your ways to places where you can find grass, and so come in time to Elrond's house, or wherever you wish to go.`There, Sam! He will have quite as much chance of escaping wolves and getting home as we have.' "

And Sam is the only not paralyzed with shock and fear when the hideous "Watcher in the Water" flings tentacles out of the water and grabs Frodo.

And the last half of this chapter is really a focus on dwarf culture, and Gimli:

• Gimli walks beside Gandalf to provide dwarf "intel" in this vast, ancient, abandoned dwarf kingdom.
  • Gimli’s song of the first days of the dwarves is history, and sorrow at the dwarves' forced abandonment of Moria by great evil, but the song ends with a faint note of hope: “But still the sunken stars appear /In dark and windless Mirrormere; / There lies his crown in water deep, / Till Durin wakes again from sleep.”
  • Sad irony -- just a little after Gimli says this: “`I have looked on Moria, and it is very great, but it has become dark and dreadful; and we have found no sign of my kindred. I doubt now that Balin ever came here.’” -- they find Balin’s tomb. 😢 So Gimli accomplishes his personal quest (stated back in chapter 2 "The Council of Elrond") -- to find out what happened to Balin, but it is not the answer he hoped for.
  • And a final thought about dwarf culture: Balin briefly obtained what Thorin’s grandfather failed to do — retake/rule Moria. He was the last dwarf king of Khazad-dum, but for less than 5 years, and, like Thorin's grandfather, is killed by orcs in Moria.

chap. 5: “The Bridge of Khazad-dum”
Such a tense chapter... And how shocking -- the fall of Gandalf, standing alone on the bridge to defend them. In contrast to The Hobbit, where Gandalf rescues Bilbo and the dwarves from capture by the goblins under the Misty Mountains, and they all escape out the "back door" and survive, here, Gandalf their leader, falls. What a powerful, grief-filled end to the chapter:

• "There was a guard of orcs crouching in the shadows behind the great door posts towering on either side, but the gates were shattered and cast down. Aragorn smote to the ground the captain that stood in his path, and the rest fled in terror of his wrath. The Company swept past them and took no heed of them. Out of the Gates they ran and sprang down the huge and age-worn steps, the threshold of Moria. Thus, at last, they came beyond hope under the sky and felt the wind on their faces. They did not halt until they were out of bowshot from the walls. Dimrill Dale lay about them. The shadow of the Misty Mountains lay upon it, but eastwards there was a golden light on the land. It was but one hour after noon. The sun was shining; the clouds were white and high. They looked back. Dark yawned the archway of the Gates under the mountain-shadow. Faint and far beneath the earth rolled the slow drum-beats: doom. A thin black smoke trailed out. Nothing else was to be seen; the dale all around was empty. Doom. Grief at last wholly overcame them, and they wept long: some standing and silent, some cast upon the ground. Doom, doom. The drum-beats faded."
Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

22 hours ago, Kareni said:

I'm glad you liked it!

At this LINK, you can see the lists for 2020 as well as for 2019 and 2018.

Regards,

Kareni

As always ... thanks for sharing so many of the fun links you find!

14 hours ago, Robin M said:

This was fun for a mystery loving gal! Thank you! 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Lori D. said:

chap. 3: “The Ring Goes South”

The arming of the hero (a frequent stage in the Hero's Quest) -- Bilbo passes on his sword Sting to Frodo.

The final 2 members of the fellowship are decided -- and kinship/friendship wins out over might, as Merry and Pippin get to go, rather than 2 might Elf-lords of Elrond's household. And Gandalf is the unexpected voice of support for the hobbits! 😍

Love this little "window" into Sam's character:

• “Sam was standing by the pony... 'Bill, my lad,' he said, ‘you oughtn't to have took up with us. You could have stayed here and et the best hay till the new grass comes.'"
  • "Sam eased the pack on his shoulders, and went over anxiously in his mind all the things that he had stowed in it, wondering if he had forgotten anything: his chief treasure, his cooking gear; and the little box of salt that he always carried and refilled when he could; a good supply of pipe-weed (but not near enough, I'll warrant); flint and tinder; woollen hose: linen; various small belongings of his master's that Frodo had forgotten and Sam had stowed to bring them out in triumph when they were called for."
  • "‘Rope!' he muttered. ‘No rope! And only last night you said to yourself: "Sam, what about a bit of rope? You'll want it, if you haven't got it:" Well, I'll want it. I can't get it now.’"

Elrond's prayer and blessing upon the fellowship as they leave for their quest:

• "... go now with good hearts! Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you. May the stars shine upon your faces!”

Aragorn and Boromir shine in this chapter.

• Aragorn's praise of Boromir: “… Boromir will also be in the Company. He is a valiant man.”
  • Boromir's advice (coming as he does from a realm that has mountains) to take bundles of wood up the mountain pass in case of blizzard -- and it saves them.
  • The sheer physical strength of Boromir and Aragorn that forces a path through the high drifts of snow so the fellowship can retreat.

LOL -- a little comic relief with Legolas and Gandalf, as they are trapped by the snow drifts up on the Redhorn Mountain:

• Legolas: “If Gandalf would go before us with a bright flame, he might melt a path for you.”
    Gandalf: “If Elves could fly over mountains, they might fetch the Sun to save us… But I must have something to work on. I cannot burn snow.”
    Boromir: “When heads are at a loss bodies must serve, as we say in my country. The strongest of us must seek a way [by beating a path through the snow drifts].”
    Legolas: “The strongest must seek a way, say you? But I say: let a ploughman plough, but...  for running light over grass and leaf or over snow—an Elf.”
  • Legolas [upon returning from his scouting]: "Well… I have not brought the Sun. She is walking in the blue fields of the South, and a little wreath of snow on this Redhorn hillock troubles her not at all.."

chap. 4: “A Journey in the Dark”
The beginning of half of this chapter is owned by Sam, lol:

Stout-hearted and trusting Sam, trusting in Gandalf's leadership, power, and wisdom, first when wolves are howling all around them, and then after Gandalf ignites a ring of fire around them to deter the wolves:

• “'My heart's right down in my toes, Mr. Pippin... But we aren't etten yet, and there are some stout folk here with us. Whatever may be in store for old Gandalf, I'll wager it isn't a wolf's belly."
  • “What did I tell you, Mr. Pippin? ... Wolves won't get him. That was an eye-opener, and no mistake! Nearly singed the hair off my head!"

Sam's loyal love for the pony Bill, rescued back in Bree from the abusive Bill Ferny--and Gandalf's compassion for both Sam and for Bill the pony, as he lays hands on Bill and blesses him with a prayer of protection when they have to turn Bill loose:

• " 'It will be short of murder, I hope,' said Gandalf. He laid his hand on the pony's head, and spoke in a low voice. `Go with words of guard and guiding on you,' he said. `You are a wise beast, and have learned much in Rivendell. Make your ways to places where you can find grass, and so come in time to Elrond's house, or wherever you wish to go.`There, Sam! He will have quite as much chance of escaping wolves and getting home as we have.' "

And Sam is the only not paralyzed with shock and fear when the hideous "Watcher in the Water" flings tentacles out of the water and grabs Frodo.

And the last half of this chapter is really a focus on dwarf culture, and Gimli:

• Gimli walks beside Gandalf to provide dwarf "intel" in this vast, ancient, abandoned dwarf kingdom.
  • Gimli’s song of the first days of the dwarves is history, and sorrow at the dwarves' forced abandonment of Moria by great evil, but the song ends with a faint note of hope: “But still the sunken stars appear /In dark and windless Mirrormere; / There lies his crown in water deep, / Till Durin wakes again from sleep.”
  • Sad irony -- just a little after Gimli says this: “`I have looked on Moria, and it is very great, but it has become dark and dreadful; and we have found no sign of my kindred. I doubt now that Balin ever came here.’” -- they find Balin’s tomb. 😢 So Gimli accomplishes his personal quest (stated back in chapter 2 "The Council of Elrond") -- to find out what happened to Balin, but it is not the answer he hoped for.
  • And a final thought about dwarf culture: Balin briefly obtained what Thorin’s grandfather failed to do — retake/rule Moria. He was the last dwarf king of Khazad-dum, but for less than 5 years, and, like Thorin's grandfather, is killed by orcs in Moria.

Such a tense chapter... And how shocking -- the fall of Gandalf, standing alone on the bridge to defend them. In contrast to The Hobbit, where Gandalf rescues Bilbo and the dwarves from capture by the goblins under the Misty Mountains, and they all escape out the "back door" and survive, here, Gandalf their leader, falls. What a powerful, grief-filled end to the chapter:

• "There was a guard of orcs crouching in the shadows behind the great door posts towering on either side, but the gates were shattered and cast down. Aragorn smote to the ground the captain that stood in his path, and the rest fled in terror of his wrath. The Company swept past them and took no heed of them. Out of the Gates they ran and sprang down the huge and age-worn steps, the threshold of Moria. Thus, at last, they came beyond hope under the sky and felt the wind on their faces. They did not halt until they were out of bowshot from the walls. Dimrill Dale lay about them. The shadow of the Misty Mountains lay upon it, but eastwards there was a golden light on the land. It was but one hour after noon. The sun was shining; the clouds were white and high. They looked back. Dark yawned the archway of the Gates under the mountain-shadow. Faint and far beneath the earth rolled the slow drum-beats: doom. A thin black smoke trailed out. Nothing else was to be seen; the dale all around was empty. Doom. Grief at last wholly overcame them, and they wept long: some standing and silent, some cast upon the ground. Doom, doom. The drum-beats faded."

I love love love your book updates/reviews. Reading through your thoughts and what you decide to highlight from each chapter is fascinating. It must take so much work but rest assured it's appreciated. 

You bring up some good point on dwarf culture. And losing Gandalf was such a shock the first time I read the book ... but I will save more of my comments on that for later in the discussion. (I wasn't planning on reading along with you but when I saw you posted this review last night I had to reread the chapters to discuss today.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To very loosely tie into our discussion on censorship and banned books ...

I'm reading a Patricia Wentworth mystery from 1925. For those of you who aren't fans of hers ... she's basically a contemporary of Agatha Christie. This book has a dozen options all for villains -- the flirty red head, the gossipy spinster, a war widow -- but the most interesting is the Miller family who has an accent and it's said in whispers that their name is really Müller and they're Germans. Even if the Millers don't end up the *bad guys* the book is still setup to show them as horrible people. It doesn't bother me and I can enjoy the book because I have enough historical context to understand why an English author might have a lot of rage toward Germans in 1925 without assuming Ms. Wentworth is a horrible human being. It's similar to all those action movies in the 1960's with Soviets as despicable humans or the Arabs in the 1990's. 

• Like 5

My summer reading program challenged me to read a book in translation; I chose to read Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World by Pénélope Bagieu (translated from the French by Montana Kane). I was only familiar with about a quarter of the featured women, so I learned a lot by reading this graphic novel. (What is the correct terminology for a graphic work of nonfiction? The spine label says Graphic Novel, but this was no work of fiction!)

" From School Library Journal

Gr 8 Up—French cartoonist Bagieu (Exquisite Corpse; California Dreamin') offers 29 compelling biographies of renowned female artists, scientists, athletes, explorers, activists, and warriors. While much-profiled women such as reporter Nellie Bly and astronaut Mae Jemison appear here, so do less recognized names, including pioneering gynecologist Agnodice (active around 350 BCE in Athens); Christine Jorgensen, one of the first people from the United States to receive gender reassignment surgery; Liberian social worker Leymah Gbowee; and Syrian aristocrat-turned-activist Naziq al-Abid. Each entry covers the subject's life from birth to period of activity and, where applicable, death, across about six pages of delicately drawn panels with colorful highlights and washes. The work features humorously anachronistic props, such as modern books, as well as accurate depictions (smoking, drinking). The minimal dialogue is largely invented; declarations and thoughts are couched in distinctly 21st-century argot. The women range in age from girls to older adults at their high points of recognition and are geographically diverse. There are no source notes, but there's enough information, including dates, national origin, and married as well as birth surnames, to spur curious teens to seek out more details. VERDICT A strikingly original collective biography for casual readers, students, and those looking for inspiration in their own lives.—Francisca Goldsmith, Library Ronin, Worcester, MA"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

On 6/23/2020 at 3:01 PM, Robin M said:

Perhaps @elegantlion physically kept the list and still has it or @Kareni with her amazing skills for finding the threads we have lost, will be able to find it.  Unless it was before the board changed over to the new version.

Knowing my habits, I probably did keep a list, but it's probably in the books or a homeschooling box. I vaguely remember that conversation and I think it had to do with two copies of the same book. My books are inaccessible this summer, so I would be able to answer this properly.*

*only some of my books are inaccessible, no need to fear, I'm currently surrounded by about 150 books for my school work. I would never be without books. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Robin M, sadly I cannot find the discussion either.

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

"Widely regarded as one of the greatest novels ever written, War and Peace is Leo Tolstoy’s magnum opus, a groundbreaking work of literary realism, and a psychologically acute examination of Tsarist society in the Napoleonic Era. The narrative follows the fates, fortunes, loves, and betrayals of five aristocratic Russian families from an elegant soirée in 1805 Saint Petersburg to the abandoned and burning Moscow of 1812.

With a panoramic cast of characters, including peasants, soldiers, nobles, and historical figures such as Napoleon Bonaparte and Mikhail Kutuzov, Tolstoy presents a hugely ambitious portrait of the human condition. First published in 1865, this edition of War and Peace was translated into English by Louise and Alymer Maude."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

One of my favorite new adult romances is currently free for Kindle readers. Be aware this book has adult content.

The Year We Fell Down by Sarina Bowen

"The sport she loves is out of reach. The boy she loves has someone else. What now?

She expected to start Harkness College as a varsity ice hockey player. But a serious accident means that Corey Callahan will start school in a wheelchair instead.

Across the hall, in the other handicapped-accessible dorm room, lives the too-delicious-to-be real Adam Hartley, another would-be hockey star with his leg broken in two places. He’s way out of Corey’s league.
Also, he’s taken.

Nevertheless, an unlikely alliance blooms between Corey and Hartley in the “gimp ghetto” of McHerrin Hall. Over perilously balanced dining hall trays, and video games, the two cope with disappointments that nobody else understands.

They’re just friends, of course, until one night when things fall apart. Or fall together. All Corey knows is that she’s falling. Hard.

But will Hartley set aside his trophy girl to love someone as broken as Corey? If he won’t, she will need to find the courage to make a life for herself at Harkness — one which does not revolve around the sport she can no longer play, or the brown-eyed boy who’s afraid to love her back.'"

Regards

Kareni

• Like 3

I'm still reading my chunky book, The Eighth Life. Thanks to a thread on the chat board by Monica in Switzerland, looking for books about Russian history, I added another chunkster, The Romanovs, by Simon Montefiore. 

When I made my 2020 reading list last year, part of my plan was to start Trollope's Palliser novels. When the pandemic hit I just didn't have the brain power to read such a book. The subject matter isn't difficult but sometimes reading old books does take more of my attention than a more current novel, even current literary fiction. In the last month I've been able to start concentrating again maybe because I'm getting used to this current way of life. Anyway, all that to say I started the first Palliser, Can You Forgive Her.

I'm still working slowly through A People's History of the United States and managed another chapter earlier today. 

For light bedtime reading I borrowed the ebook edition of the second Murder on Location book, Murder in an English Cottage. I hope to start reading that one tonight.

I'm still listening to Plutarch's Parallel Lives on Audible. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, elegantlion said:

Knowing my habits, I probably did keep a list, but it's probably in the books or a homeschooling box. I vaguely remember that conversation and I think it had to do with two copies of the same book. My books are inaccessible this summer, so I would be able to answer this properly.*

*only some of my books are inaccessible, no need to fear, I'm currently surrounded by about 150 books for my school work. I would never be without books. 😉 

Waving hello!  I kinda thought the information wouldn't be accessible as it was so long ago.     I can't imagine you ever not being surrounded by books. They are the windows to our worlds.  What area of history are you concentrating on for your thesis? 

• Like 3

I just finished reading The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson.  Once I started reading it, couldn't put it down.  This historical fiction story is an emotional roller coaster, hitting on all levels, apropoh for the time as it deals heavily with racism and prejudice and makes you mad as heck with all she and other characters of color had to deal with and brings home how people were treated back in the 1930's.  Trigger warning - strong language including ethnic slurs.  One of those books we were discussing that could be subject to editing in the future because of the uncomfortable language. 

"The hardscrabble folks of Troublesome Creek have to scrap for everything—everything except books, that is. Thanks to Roosevelt's Kentucky Pack Horse Library Project, Troublesome's got its very own traveling librarian, Cussy Mary Carter.

Cussy's not only a book woman, however, she's also the last of her kind, her skin a shade of blue unlike most anyone else. Not everyone is keen on Cussy's family or the Library Project, and a Blue is often blamed for any whiff of trouble. If Cussy wants to bring the joy of books to the hill folks, she's going to have to confront prejudice as old as the Appalachias and suspicion as deep as the holler.

Inspired by the true blue-skinned people of Kentucky and the brave and dedicated Kentucky Pack Horse library service of the 1930s, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek is a story of raw courage, fierce strength, and one woman's belief that books can carry us anywhere—even back home.

• Like 4

On 6/23/2020 at 8:50 PM, Lori D. said:

I can't think of this chapter without hearing Grieg's "Hall of the Mountain King". Someone conveniently put the two together if you care to see what I mean.

• Like 5

Anyone read The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates?   So, once again, I am so baffled by all those raving reviews. I was very much looking forward to reading this book but the first sentence was an entire paragraph. And second sentence was another paragraph.  And after a few pages I already got tired of all the lyrical poetic very wordy sentences....   I don't think I can handle 300 pages of that 😞

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Anyone read The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates?   So, once again, I am so baffled by all those raving reviews. I was very much looking forward to reading this book but the first sentence was an entire paragraph. And second sentence was another paragraph.  And after a few pages I already got tired of all the lyrical poetic very wordy sentences....   I don't think I can handle 300 pages of that 😞

My book club read that one earlier this year and I thought it was meh. Everyone else in the group loved it. Last year I read Between the World and Me and We Were Eight Years in Power. I thought both were excellent. I really like his non-fiction and The Atlantic articles and essays, but I just don't think he's all that good at writing fiction. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

When I made my 2020 reading list last year, part of my plan was to start Trollope's Palliser novels. When the pandemic hit I just didn't have the brain power to read such a book. The subject matter isn't difficult but sometimes reading old books does take more of my attention than a more current novel, even current literary fiction. In the last month I've been able to start concentrating again maybe because I'm getting used to this current way of life. Anyway, all that to say I started the first Palliser, Can You Forgive Her.

Hot tip: You can read Phineas Finn and Phineas Redux as a pair, and go back and read the others later if you want to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Interesting discussion about the banned books. There is much upthread to think about, but I'd have to think a little more before I would add to the conversation. I do know that I would not like my electronic books being altered without my knowledge. 

I only skimmed the article about Flannery O'Connor article and will read it properly later. I think this is case of can/should one separate the artist from the art?  Based on my skim, the accusations of racism seem to be less about her fiction and more about her correspondence. Some people are more willing than others to differentiate between the work and the artist. JK Rowling recently caused some Harry Potter fans to search inside themselves and ask that very question.

I picked up FOC's book of letters, The Habit of Being, in a used shop last year, but have never read it. I see that the author of the article, Paul Elie,  wrote The Life You Save May Be Your Own, which is a study of Flannery O'Conner, Thomas Merton, Dorothy Day and Walker Percy. This book has been sitting, unread, on my shelf for at least ten years. 

I just the other day went through my 10x10 lists and realized that I have only filled two slots of my Good Catholic/Bad Catholic category. 

@mumto2 I still have those VHS Star Wars movies, too. But my understanding was that even they are not the films that were shown in the theater. I don't know if that is true or not, it is just what one of my kids told me 🙂 

@aggieamy I think you are brave to admit that you felt cowardly about being truthful on Goodreads. I bought some books about sex work when I was in The Bluestockings bookstore in NYC in December, and I think at least one of them isn't even in the GR database. I like GR, but I really don't feel like I owe it anything. I wouldn't hesitate to keep something off of there if I felt so inclined for any reason or no reason.  I would not fake my star rating out of guilt, but I have felt that twinge of guilt when I rated something low.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 6

chap. 6: “Lothlórien”

Motifs of Nature and of Trees
Nature descriptions everywhere in this chapter... A reminder that Tolkien took very seriously the idea of being a "sub-creator" by providing such detail and mood/atmosphere to the settings that all of his Middle-earth becomes almost a character. Sort of similar to how in some films (I'm thinking of Oh Brother Where Art Thou, off the top of my head) where the soundtrack is so integral, echoing and commenting on the plot and characters, that the soundtrack almost acts like the Chorus of a Greek play -- at times in LotR, the very "fabric" of the nature of Middle-earth is a bit like a Greek Chorus.

And related to nature in general is Tolkien’s specific great love of trees and their important role in his created universe comes in strongly in chapters 6 and 7:

•  Haldir’s lament, “Alas for Lothlórien that I love! It would be a poor life in a land where no mallorn grew. But if there are mallorn-trees beyond the Great Sea, none have reported it…." Valinor ("elf heaven") is the land beyond the Great Sea, and in Tolkien's creation myths of Middle-earth [not in LotR], it was originally lit, not by sun and moon, but by the gold and silver light of two trees, which were destroyed by the giant evil spider, Ungoliant who ate the trees (darkness swallowing the light, in attempt by evil to bring destruction and chaos to the Creator-God's good and orderly creation)

•  "...[Frodo] laid his hand upon the tree beside the ladder: never before had he been so suddenly and so keenly aware of the feel and texture of a tree's skin and of the life within it. He felt a delight in wood and the touch of it, neither as forester nor as carpenter; it was the delight of the living tree itself."

And Lothlórien as an echo of vanished Eden. The memory of it is like a vision to be able to see the invisible spiritual realm that lies alongside the physical world, or like the working of Holy Spirit or spiritual Truth -- even the memory of Lothlórien has the power to heal and restore:

• “It seemed to [Frodo] that he had stepped through a high window that looked on a vanished world. A light was upon it for which his language had no name. All that he saw was shapely, but the shapes seemed at once clear cut, as if they had been first conceived and drawn at the uncovering of his eyes, and ancient as if they had endured for ever. He saw no colour but those he knew, gold and white and blue and green, but they were fresh and poignant, as if he had at that moment first perceived them and made for them names new and wonderful. In winter here no heart could mourn for summer or for spring. No blemish or sickness or deformity could be seen in anything that grew upon the earth. On the land of Lórien there was no stain… Though he walked and breathed, and about him living leaves and flowers were stirred by the same cool wind as fanned his face, Frodo felt that he was in a timeless land that did not fade or change or fall into forgetfulness. When he had gone and passed again into the outer world, still Frodo the wanderer from the Shire would walk there, upon the grass among elanor and niphredil in fair Lothlórien."

But also the rather isolationist response of the Lothlórien elves to evil events happening around their nation — keep borders closed, be suspicious of strangers and other races [hmmm... where have I heard this idea in real life... 😉 ]:

• Haldir: “'Indeed in nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him. Yet so little faith and trust do we find now in the world beyond Lothlórien, unless maybe in Rivendell, that we dare not by our own trust endanger our land. We live now upon an island amid many perils, and our hands are more often upon the bowstring than upon the harp.”

Biblical ideas:

• Foreshadowing there is already something at work in his heart -- Boromir who refuses to enter Lothlórien, until it is clear there is no other path (as he did with Moria), seeing it as an enchanted trap and its ruler Galadriel as an enchantress and calling the fair realm “perilous": “Perilous indeed,' said Aragorn, 'fair and perilous; but only evil need fear it, or those who bring some evil with them.”

• Wisdom of a servant leader (Aragorn), who prevents an act of prejudice (singling out of Gimli for being blindfolded upon entering Lothlorien): “It is hard upon the Dwarf to be thus singled out. We will all be blindfold, even Legolas.”

• Reconciliation: Haldir [who had been following orders about blindfolding] is quick to make amends with Gimli, as soon as he gets the new order that all of the fellowship members are honored guests: “He removed the bandage first from Gimli's eyes. 'Your pardon! ' he said, bowing low. `Look on us now with friendly eyes! Look and be glad, for you are the first dwarf to behold the trees of the Naith of Lórien since Durin's Day! '

Compare/Contrast

• Contrast in this chapter of Frodo refreshed by the cleansing refreshing water of Nimrodel on his feet, compared to the slimy water that made him shudder and be aware of its evil/foulness -- that slimy trickle fed into the lake where lurked the Watcher in the Water at the western gate of Moria, back in chapter 4.

• Similar to in chapter 4 where Gimli sang a song of Khazad-dum and its origins while the fellowship was in Moria, now that they are in Lothlórien, Legolas sings in chapter 6 a song of Nimrodel, the tragic love story of the elves Amrod and Nimrodel of Lothlórien. Legolas' song ties in with Khazad-dum — Nimrodel and Amroth were living in Lothlórien when the dwarves dug too deep and woke the balrog lurking there, which came out and destroyed the dwarf realm, as well as causing many elves of Lothlórien to flee, which resulted in the tragedy of Amroth and Nimrodel.

Lol — Sam again:

• Pippin [about to try and sleep on the platform up in the tree]: "I hope, if I do go to sleep in this bed-loft, that I shan't roll off."
  • Sam: "Once I do get to sleep... i shall go on sleeping, whether I roll off or no. And the less said, the sooner I'll drop off, if you take my meaning." 😂

chap. 7: “The Mirror of Galadriel”

Reconciliation
Celeborn’s knee-jerk reaction towards Gimli comes out of his personal experiences from long-ago [not in LotR, but in other Tolkien's Legendarium about Middle-earth]... greed by a specific group of dwarves led these dwarves to kill Celeborn's king [Thingol]; and then the later different kingdom of dwarves whose greed caused them to delve too deep in Moria, accidentally releasing the balrog, which caused great suffering and death of Celeborn's people in Lothlórien.

BUT... the reconciliation here is so beautiful and poignant here, it moves me to tears:

• Celeborn: “… had I known that the Dwarves [referring to Balin and company's attempt to retake Moria 30 years earlier] had stirred up this evil in Moria again, l would have forbidden you to pass the northern borders, you and all that went with you...
  • Galadriel: “... Do not repent of your welcome to the Dwarf. If our folk had been exiled long and far from Lothlórien, who of the Galadhrim, even Celeborn the Wise, would pass nigh and would not wish to look upon their ancient home, though it had become an abode of dragons? Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone.”
  • She looked upon Gimli, who sat glowering and sad, and she smiled. And the Dwarf, hearing the names given in his own ancient tongue, looked up and met her eyes; and it seemed to him that he looked suddenly into the heart of an enemy and saw there love and understanding. Wonder came into his face, and then he smiled in answer. He rose clumsily and bowed in dwarf-fashion, saying: `Yet more fair is the living land of Lórien, and the Lady Galadriel is above all the jewels that lie beneath the earth! ‘”
  • Celeborn: “I did not know that your plight was so evil… Let Gimli forget my harsh words: I spoke in the trouble of my heart. I will do what I can to aid you, each according to his wish and need…”

testing of hearts
Upon meeting Galadriel, she looks long into the eyes of each member of the fellowship. A test of their hearts, perhaps? Or of revealing to each something is there, so that he can see it, know it, and choose what to do about it?

• "All of them, it seemed, had fared alike: each had felt that he was offered a choice between a shadow full of fear that lay ahead, and something that he greatly desired: clear before his mind it lay, and to get it he had only to turn aside from the road and leave the Quest and the war against Sauron to others..."
  • Boromir: "...Maybe it was only a test, and she thought to read our thoughts for her own good purpose; but almost I should have said that she was tempting us, and offering what she pretended to have the power to give. It need not be said that I refused to listen. The Men of Minas Tirith are true to their word.' But what he thought that the Lady had offered him Boromir did not tell.
  • Aragorn: "Speak no evil of the Lady Galadriel! ... You know not what you say. There is in her and in this land no evil, unless a man bring it hither himself. Then let him beware!"

Theme of Temptation
The terrible power of the Ring -- again, the tempting of a wise and powerful person:

• Frodo: "You are wise and fearless and fair, Lady Galadriel... I will give you the One Ring, if you ask for it. It is too great a matter for me."
  • Galadriel: "...You will give me the Ring freely! In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible... Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair! ...I pass the test... I will diminish, and go into the West and remain Galadriel.'
  • Sam [to Galadriel]: "I wish you'd take his Ring. You'd put things to rights.... You'd make some folk pay for their dirty work."
  • Galadriel: `I would... That is how it would begin. But it would not stop with that, alas!"

Comparison
Another comparison: Frodo and Sam look into "special water" -- in chapter 6, as they left Moria, they went with Gimli to look at "Durin's crown" (reflection of Misty Mountain and stars) in the Dwarves special pool of water, the Mirrormere -- and when Pippin asks Sam what he saw, he does not answer, but is thoughtful. Perhaps the serene and almost magical reflection brings meditative thoughts to mind?? Here in chapter 7 they look into an elf's special pool of water, the Mirror of Galadriel, where each sees visions -- possibly prophetic.

With the Dwarf/Elf comparisons over chapters 5-7, perhaps these two races have more in common than is seen at first glance. Just expressed in their own unique cultural ways...? 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Robin M said:

I just finished reading The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson.  Once I started reading it, couldn't put it down.  This historical fiction story is an emotional roller coaster, hitting on all levels, apropoh for the time as it deals heavily with racism and prejudice and makes you mad as heck with all she and other characters of color had to deal with and brings home how people were treated back in the 1930's.  Trigger warning - strong language including ethnic slurs.  One of those books we were discussing that could be subject to editing in the future because of the uncomfortable language. 

"The hardscrabble folks of Troublesome Creek have to scrap for everything—everything except books, that is. Thanks to Roosevelt's Kentucky Pack Horse Library Project, Troublesome's got its very own traveling librarian, Cussy Mary Carter.

Cussy's not only a book woman, however, she's also the last of her kind, her skin a shade of blue unlike most anyone else. Not everyone is keen on Cussy's family or the Library Project, and a Blue is often blamed for any whiff of trouble. If Cussy wants to bring the joy of books to the hill folks, she's going to have to confront prejudice as old as the Appalachias and suspicion as deep as the holler.

Inspired by the true blue-skinned people of Kentucky and the brave and dedicated Kentucky Pack Horse library service of the 1930s, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek is a story of raw courage, fierce strength, and one woman's belief that books can carry us anywhere—even back home.

I loved that book as well.  The racial slurs were there but very historically accurate....and the book shows just how damaging and wrong they were.  I think that is very different than books that add them just for shock value....or worse yet, to glorify and support their use 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Lori D. I just want to thank you for another set of wonderful notes.  I have been reading and am now a couple of chapters  into Part 2.       I had to smile at your comment regarding Tom Bombadil and the trolls being cut from the movie because I think those missing scenes are why I never really warmed to the movies.  I had missing scene issues all the way through and have only watched the whole thing once many years ago and never watched The Hobbit.😂  

I don’t have a great deal to add to the discussion but thought maybe someone here would enjoy the scenery my mind painted when I read the the chapters that were missing from the movie.............the Peak District and Mam Tor when I stated filling in the blanks about what I was seeing.  I added some extra trees😉.

Old mill stones litter the landscape........ https://letsgopeakdistrict.co.uk/intriguing-millstones-of-the-peak-district/ 

Hillfort on Mam Tor.......... http://www.castlesfortsbattles.co.uk/midlands/mam_tor_hillfort.html  

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Reading:

"Who Slays the Wicked" by C. S. Harris

Also, as a second choice "Who speaks for the Damned?" - same author

Audio:

"Rising Strong" by Brown

"The Man in Lower Ten" by Roberts Rinehart. Not sure if I can finish this one. The narrator's voice puts me to sleep.

• Like 6

Finished:

These audiobooks are helping me get through a very boring work project. Hurrah!

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart - I don't know if this was intentional or not on the part of Ms. Stewart (and I don't feel like it's really a spoiler because you have to read almost the entire book to figure out who I'm talking about) but as a twist it turns out the villain is basically exactly who you think the villain is going to be. Charming story. Classic Mary Stewart suspense and description. Boy oh boy do I wish she didn't use the "I've known you for thirty minutes and you're *hot* so I'm going to declare that I'm madly in love with you* trope. If we're going to go through and censor/edit old books I'd like to start with these because nothing is more offensive to the mother of a teenage daughter then the "marry the hottest person you can find" philosophy found in some of these 1950's books. Marry the nerdiest person you can find has served me well in life. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

Finished:

These audiobooks are helping me get through a very boring work project. Hurrah!

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart - I don't know if this was intentional or not on the part of Ms. Stewart (and I don't feel like it's really a spoiler because you have to read almost the entire book to figure out who I'm talking about) but as a twist it turns out the villain is basically exactly who you think the villain is going to be. Charming story. Classic Mary Stewart suspense and description. Boy oh boy do I wish she didn't use the "I've known you for thirty minutes and you're *hot* so I'm going to declare that I'm madly in love with you* trope. If we're going to go through and censor/edit old books I'd like to start with these because nothing is more offensive to the mother of a teenage daughter then the "marry the hottest person you can find" philosophy found in some of these 1950's books. Marry the nerdiest person you can find has served me well in life. 

😂😂😂That is why we get along so well with the bonus of our husbands like each other too!.  Amy and I also plot to fix her Dd up with my nerdy son.😉                

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is anyone else still pursuing the 10X10 challenge? @Violet Crown You are still doing it, correct? 

My reading records have been a bit sloppy of late, but I think this is my status:

If you want to know what I read for a category, just ask. The start date of the project was January 2019. The date listed is the date I finished the category. Overlaps were permitted. 

COMPLETED:

Nordic (June 2019)

Fantasy (January 2020)

Politics (March 2020)

Read in Danish (May 2020)

The American South (May 2020)

1960s (May 2020)

STILL WORKING ON:

Non-tropical Islands (five done, five to go)

Poetry (six done, four to go)

Good Catholic Bad Catholic (two done, eight to go)

Add 10 New Countries to my Perpetual Round-The-World Challenge (six done, four to go)

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, Penguin said:

Is anyone else still pursuing the 10X10 challenge? @Violet Crown You are still doing it, correct? 

My reading records have been a bit sloppy of late, but I think this is my status:

If you want to know what I read for a category, just ask. The start date of the project was January 2019. The date listed is the date I finished the category. Overlaps were permitted. 

COMPLETED:

Nordic (June 2019)

Fantasy (January 2020)

Politics (March 2020)

Read in Danish (May 2020)

The American South (May 2020)

1960s (May 2020)

STILL WORKING ON:

Non-tropical Islands (five done, five to go)

Poetry (six done, four to go)

Good Catholic Bad Catholic (two done, eight to go)

Add 10 New Countries to my Perpetual Round-The-World Challenge (six done, four to go)

Looks great!  I like the idea of the Non-tropical island category.  I need to remember that one for next year. 

I am still working on my 10x10’s but haven’t updated beyond some Goodreads shelf sticking in quite awhile.  I need to go into my planning notes and see where I actually stand on my categories.......I will update here when I get that done.  Notice I am posting this 24 hours after your post which means I had intended to do this yesterday but used my time staring at a computer screening looking at nothing of consequence!

Back when we had our steampunk week I put a hold on a book billed as Asian Steampunk and am now enjoying it.  The Gunpowder Alchemyhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36218995-gunpowder-alchemy uses gunpowder as opposed to steam to fuel their flying ships.  So far it has been an easy read and feels rather YA but I haven’t seen it categorized as YA.  Currently the heroine is caught between running from/ working for the Chinese Emporer’s minions as she tries to learn the secrets of the gunpowder engines.  Her executed father created this mystery fuel but was executed by the Emporer for suggesting it would improve his failing navy.  

• Like 6