Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW25: Happy Father's Day

Robin M

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

"It’s the spring of 1923 and Clarissa Dalloway must prepare her Westminster home for the guests she will receive this evening. As the wife of a Parliament Minister, proper decorum is of upmost importance, and she decides to buy the flowers herself. Walking through the streets of London, Clarissa’s entire life swirls through her mind as Big Ben tolls out the passing hours of the day.

On her journey, Clarissa will encounter friends and memories; regrets and dreams of what might have been. From her happy youth to the realities of World War I and the very logical reasons for marrying her husband, her stream of consciousness is evoked with lucidity and depth by one of the twentieth century’s most important literary stylists.

Virginia Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway is “conceived so brilliantly, dimensioned so thoroughly and documented so absolutely that her type, in the words of Constantin Stanislavsky, might be said to have been done ‘inviolably and for all time’” (The New York Times)."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

On 6/26/2020 at 12:16 PM, Penguin said:

Is anyone else still pursuing the 10X10 challenge? @Violet Crown You are still doing it, correct? 

Thanks for the reminder! Yes, still going on it, but not replacing categories, as I'd thought I might. Instead I have two personal challenges: (1) filling in gaps in my reading timeline (a rather idle pursuit, but why not), and (2) something like Good Books by Bad People, or perhaps Decolonization Bait, or First to the Guillotine. I'd been thinking about this for a few months and wondering if I had enough such books to make it worth it, but it looks like I can now add in Ulysses S Grant's Memoirs and my Speeches of Abraham Lincoln.

Completed 10x10 lists:
Brexit Deal
Crime and Punishment
Dramatic, Lyric, and Epic
Plucked From the Air
Les Enfants de Baudelaire

Not completed:
Bad Catholic (5 to go)
Don't Mess With Texas (3 to go)
Little Oval on the Spine (3 to go)
Scots Wha' Hae (1 to go)
Gorey Covers (5 to go)

(I'm allowing crossover or I'd never be done, and justifying it by having over-read in several categories.)

Edited by Violet Crown
keyboard incompetence
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Well. 

Station Eleven. 

I am just in Chapter 2 and thinking, I can’t believe I’m reading this in conjunction with major CV spikes this weekend. 🙄

I’ve had it out from the library for a long time, since so many have recommended it, just hadn't gotten around to starting it before today. I thought it was set in the post-apocalyptic future, only to discover  that I get treated to a third pandemic in 2020 (coronavirus, the Doom, now the Georgia flu). 

What’s a gal to do but laugh, and wish that all of them were fictional. 

My sympathies! This happened to me when I watched I Am Legend two months ago.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Well. 

Station Eleven. 

I am just in Chapter 2 and thinking, I can’t believe I’m reading this in conjunction with major CV spikes this weekend. 🙄

I’ve had it out from the library for a long time, since so many have recommended it, just hadn't gotten around to starting it before today. I thought it was set in the post-apocalyptic future, only to discover  that I get treated to a third pandemic in 2020 (coronavirus, the Doom, now the Georgia flu). 

What’s a gal to do but laugh, and wish that all of them were fictional. 

I started to reread it at the end of March when my hold became availiable on Overdrive........I requested it when plague reading sounded fun in January.   The author also had a new release come out about then and I knew there was a crossover character or two from Station.   I decided I really didn’t need to remember ...........😉and skipped the new book too!😂

• Like 6

On 6/26/2020 at 10:16 AM, Penguin said:

Is anyone else still pursuing the 10X10 challenge? @Violet Crown You are still doing it, correct? 

Great minds think alike as I thought about updating my list yesterday. I haven't been keeping track the last month, so have to figure it out.  Will update soon.

10 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I am still working on my 10x10’s but haven’t updated beyond some Goodreads shelf sticking in quite awhile.  I need to go into my planning notes and see where I actually stand on my categories.......I will update here when I get that done.  Notice I am posting this 24 hours after your post which means I had intended to do this yesterday but used my time staring at a computer screening looking at nothing of consequence!

Same here. I've been getting lost in the webosphere watching nothing of consequence as well.  Gee, where did the past hour disappear too. 🙃

7 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Thanks for the reminder! Yes, still going on it, but not replacing categories, as I'd thought I might. Instead I have two personal challenges: (1) filling in gaps in my reading timeline (a rather idle pursuit, but why not), and (2) something like Good Books by Bad People, or perhaps Decolonization Bait, or First to the Guillotine. I'd been thinking about this for a few months and wondering if I had enough such books to make it worth it, but it looks like I can now add in Ulysses S Grant's Memoirs and my Speeches of Abraham Lincoln.

Great idea for new challenges. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I updated my lists and here is what I have 

(4) Answer me this - writing craft and other non fiction  

(5) Clocks and Corsets (Steampunk)  

(7) Dragons and other fantastical Creatures  

(12) Fantasy

(5) Feed My Muse 

(6) Love and Mystery

(7) Mood 

(10) Science Fiction (Mind Voyage) 

(2) Step into the Past (Historical Fiction)

(9) Whodunit

I have some additional challenges which I haven't started at all which are read at least 3 in All about Eve, Agatha Christie,  and Silence. 

• Like 4

My 10x10’s Updated......I need to start reading books in my categories!

(4) Agatha Strikes Again!..........my Christie perpetual challenge

(4) Somewhere in Time........Time Travel

(7) Dragon’s Dens

(4)Henry and his relatives......Brit historical

(3)Visiting Miss Silver......Patricia Wentworth

(5)The Cozy Corner Cafe........new to me cozy series

(8) Brit Tripping Revisited

(4) Around the World in 10 Detectives

(2) Play it Again.......series I never finished but would like to 

(2) It’s a Steampunk Festival

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5