Menu

Stinky house from cooked veggies

hs03842

Who has a secret for getting the house to smell fresh after cooking broccoli or something like that?  Those smells seem to just cling around!  Opening windows doesn’t seem to make it go away too fast shockingly. My husband hates walking in on a stinky veggie night.

17 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

What are you doing to your poor brassicas? They shouldn't stink!

Though, with that said... how's your stove fan? Does it vent properly?

Roasted with olive oil or Steamed in microwave/on stovetop

I love how veggies taste when cooked this way—they just drive my husband crazy!  The fan works ok, though I don’t usually consider using it when roasting in the oven.  I will try that next time. 🤔

2 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Eh, they don't stink when you're hungry and eating them, but they're pretty stinky after that 😄. Everything in the cabbage family has a strong smell that cannot be conquered with a fan. 

My solution is a stove on the patio. It's also great for when you don't want to heat the house. 

• Thanks 1

We cook smelly stuff outside.  There is an overhang from the roof over part of the deck, so there is usually a good place to do that even if the weather isn't great.

I have an electric frying pan that has a high domed lid, and it's great for keeping stale bacon smells out of the house, or fish.  It would work for veggies, too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Whether or not you like the smell is subjective, but broccoli is definitely a stronger smell that clings long after the meal is gone. I think it’s like this with any brassicas and meats. Garlicky foods linger too. 

Yesterday I got rid of cooked kale smell by making apple butter in my mini crockpot, but that’s not practical. I like to simmer herbs to help freshen up the place. I like any combination of rosemary, citrus peels, lemon balm, cardamom, and vanilla. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JoyKM said:

Thanks everyone!  I will be upping my garage/outdoor cooking set up (and will know it’s super normal to cook in the garage while doing it!). 

The big advantage to using a garage space is freedom from yellow jackets.  

I had always pictured having lovely outdoor make your own street tacos parties, with an electric griddle for masa tortillas, and a crockpot each for the beans and meats, and scads of tomato, onion, and shredded cheese heaps in a cool wrought iron frame with deep white bowls contraption, but alas, the time of the year when this is reliably feasible temperature wise is also prime season for yellow jackets.  Yeah, no.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

When I roast them they STINK. So yummy, but stinky. 

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

We cook smelly stuff outside.  There is an overhang from the roof over part of the deck, so there is usually a good place to do that even if the weather isn't great.

I have an electric frying pan that has a high domed lid, and it's great for keeping stale bacon smells out of the house, or fish.  It would work for veggies, too.

wait...why wouldn't you want the house to smell like bacon?

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

When I roast them they STINK. So yummy, but stinky. 

wait...why wouldn't you want the house to smell like bacon?

I love the smell of bacon cooking, and even fresh bacon, but that stale, persistent aftersmell lingers in our old house for days and permeates our clothes.  It's just awful.

Yup, we have a small house with open closets (there were no closets when we moved in). While roasted veggies and bacon smell so good at the time, grabbing a coat to head out the door and finding that lingering odor is a nuisance... and the reason I have a teeny perfume spray bottle in my purse!