Menu

How would you feel about this?

Plagefille

Our local children's theater group has been cleared to do their summer production but with limited numbers. Of those who auditioned they cut about half, including cutting all kids under 9. My girls were at callbacks but we're not cast. We have done every production since the company started in their backyard. So my girls were quite upset. Also, my DD 11's friend got a part and she came mostly unprepared/not memorized to the audition. From what I heard from others they were the best dancers at the dance callbacks and DD11 did great on her other parts. She usually gets leads or supporting roles, so we were quite shocked for her to get nothing. My DD15 was taller than every boy at callbacks for the couple's dancers, so we figured she probably didn't get in because of that. This is also a group I have done a ton of work for in the past.

Anyway, we were just ready to forget it and move on to other stuff, but now they really want my oldest to come help with choreography. (Which she has done many times before). For some reason it just feel kind of offensive? Usually most teen helpers are in the show too or were asked to help ahead of time. It probably wouldn't bug me so much if they had asked before sending the cast list out. Maybe saying something about limited numbers so they would rather have her help with choreography instead of be in it.

I don't know. My younger DD was already very sad to be left out of the show, and this just seems like it would make her feel even worse. How would you feel? Am I being too sensitive? 

I'm sure it's hard for the theater to make these decisions. If your daughter wants to choreograph, let her. Don't make a big deal of the rest of it or your kids will think it's a bigger deal than it needs to be. We're involved in theater and understand that. 

• Like 4

If your 15yo wants to do choreography let her.  Maybe your 11yo could even help her. (And perhaps be ready to take a dance part if anyone drops out—which with a pandemic may be more likely than in previous summers).

• Like 1

Everything feels harder right now. Honestly, I would be a bit upset and would feel bad for my kids. I'm sure it's been hard on the people making the decisions too. In your position, I would let older dd do it if she wants and keep it very low key so the other child didn't get too upset about being left out. I wonder if they realized later that neither of your kids got a part and, realizing how active and supportive you've been, they decided to at least allow the older one participate.

1 hour ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I would be irritated, think of every sarcastic remark I would like to make, cool down, then let my kid decide.

Immature of me I'm sure, but...

Kelly

At least I am not the only one!

My DD15 kind of wants to do it, but it kind of annoyed that they said she is one of the best dancers, but didn't cast her. Oh well.

It is just hard when there is nothing else for DD11. Theater is her thing; her big sister just joins along because she loves dance. The other children's theater in town had auditions the same day this show had callbacks. We choose callbacks and missed auditioning for the other show. So no show for her this summer. I would have never predicted that because everyone who gets called back always gets cast in the show, plus others as well.

I guess I will try to get over it, but I am not sure I can.

• Like 1

It's been such a tough year for theater! I have five kids who were rehearsing for a show with performances near the end of April--and of course everything got shut down mid-March. They're still hoping to do the show eventually, hoping to find an outdoor venue in September but everything is still up in the air. 

Since your kids have often had bigger roles and with the necessity of cutting half they may have felt a need to let others have a chance. 

I think it should be your 15-yr-old's decision. 

It's okay to feel bad about your younger dd potentially feeling even more left out, but it shouldn't drive the decision. What if you discourage older dd from doing it, and then her sister gets a cool opportunity for herself only? Now she has to skip it because 15-yr-old will feel left out, and now you have a vicious cycle 😄

Commiserate with your dds on the casting director's appalling lack of taste, and then have them both move on. Let 15-yr-old choreograph if she wants. Help 11-yr-old explore other options (which admittedly may not be nearly as fun in this wacky timeline). 

Because these are uncharted waters for everyone, I wouldn't get too caught up in what usually happens. These are unusual times. 

• Like 1