Menu

Why were people taking pictures of our license plate?

Slache

3 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

Ability to contact trace?

I think so too. It’s rather intrusive though. I rather do a sign in that I typically have to do when dropping off my kids at activities when they were younger (time in, parent’s name, parent’s cellphone). 

My first thoughts were contact tracing because of potential superspreader events at churches, church accused of exceeding capacity, or trying to track a stolen car or a criminal suspect who reportedly attends there sometimes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Is your church following all local laws regarding meeting size etc?  If they are, then they could be just contact tracers.  If not, it could be someone trying to prove that they are not.

Yes. And they only took photos of some cars which suggests neither scenario is accurate.

7 minutes ago, Slache said:

People who saw them describe them to be dressed as Imams, but I'm bad at this. I can see religious leaders taking this type of job because no one is tithing, but I would think they would wear jeans.

My friends tithe online.

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yes. And they only took photos of some cars which suggests neither scenario is accurate.

Did you accidentally park at a designated spot? My condo complex has designated parking so license plate photos are taken if someone parked at the wrong spot so that the owner can recognize their car and go park it at the right spot.

Just now, whitehawk said:

Do you have an out of state license plate? Were the cars photographed a similar model?

No. There are maybe 6 rows of cars at our church and the photographed the back two.

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Well, I wouldn't have let it go without asking what they were doing,

I KNOW! I even said "I would have just asked them" and DH was like "I know you would have." But no one did!

2 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Maybe a non-custodial parent kidnapping, and the suspect might be there with the child(ren)?

Two men and a small church. Unlikely.

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

Did you accidentally park at a designated spot? My condo complex has designated parking so license plate photos are taken if someone parked at the wrong spot so that the owner can recognize their car and go park it at the right spot.

Nope.

7 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Well, if they can find the names of the owners, they will know who is not at home on Sunday mornings.  :::scowl::: 

Sort of like crooks used to look for wedding dates in newspapers so they could rob the homes when everyone was at the wedding--which is why we had housesitters at our home when we got married at church.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS. For whatever reason.

I had a thought like that too.  

13 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Well, if they can find the names of the owners, they will know who is not at home on Sunday mornings.  :::scowl::: 

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

I had a thought like that too.  

I know criminals can be quite stupid, but I think they would just wait until everyone was inside the church! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Sort of like crooks used to look for wedding dates in newspapers so they could rob the homes when everyone was at the wedding--which is why we had housesitters at our home when we got married at church.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS. For whatever reason.

But they were out in the open, which is why I think it was legit. Crooks would have waited and Islamic extremists would have worn jeans.

I hope they're back tonight. I will be the weird one and ask them.

15 minutes ago, katilac said:

Call the church and ask. 

Small(ish) church with only maybe 7 families present so my husband talked to the Pastor and he had no idea.

I don’t think that would be a way legit contact tracers do contact tracing. So I would be highly suspicious if that were answer.  You can call your local health department and ask if they have ct people taking pics of license plates. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I know criminals can be quite stupid, but I think they would just wait until everyone was inside the church! 

Sometimes brazen is effective.

Did anyone take a picture of them? Or call police? Or have any clear ID?  Dressed like imams—isn’t much of an ID. 

49 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Does your church parking border any other property or does the church property extend well beyond it?  Maybe there is a property line dispute and they were taking pictures of all the cars that are in the disputed area?

Were they going to each car specifically or was it a "group" photo of several cars at once?

This is the first suggestion here that seems like it could be legitimate—though not make so much sense for pics of license plates as opposed to pics that show a property line reference point and group vehicles.

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

Did anyone take a picture of them? Or call police? Or have any clear ID?  Dressed like imams—isn’t much of an ID. 

Nope. No one did anything. And "dressed like Imams" is my interpretation of what was said, so not overly helpful.

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is not any normal contact tracing thing that I’ve heard of.  It’s bizarre.  I would be concerned.

Is there any dispute over parking arrangements?

There are absolutely no things. Church property all around, no overnight parking, no need for zoning or electric work. It's all very odd.

And like said about the way they were dressed. I could be way off (I've mistaken Jewish kids for Muslims before) but they were dressed like something. Something that does not scream government employee or construction worker.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

There are absolutely no things. Church property all around, no overnight parking, no need for zoning or electric work. It's all very odd.

And like said about the way they were dressed. I could be way off (I've mistaken Jewish kids for Muslims before) but they were dressed like something. Something that does not scream government employee or construction worker.

And the something they were dressed like could be a genuine whatever they are outfit, or could be a disguise. 

Just now, Slache said:

I don't think so because we're obeying all the rules.

And here from CNN from April.  So maybe contact tracing is the right answer 

5:54 p.m. ET, April 10, 2020

Kentucky to record license plates of those attending services this weekend and require them to quarantine for 14 days

From CNN's Rebekah Riess

The state of Kentucky is taking new action to discourage individuals from participating in mass gatherings, such as church services, Gov. Andy Beshear announced Friday.

The state will be recording the license plates of those who show up to any mass gatherings and provide that information to the local health departments, who will in turn order those individuals to be quarantined for 14 days, according to Beshear.

Beshear said the state is down to less than seven churches state-wide that are still “thinking about” having an in-person service this weekend.

“Folks, we shouldn’t have to do this,” Beshear said. “I think it’s not a test of faith whether you’re going to an in-person service, it’s a test of faith that you’re willing to sacrifice to protect your fellow man, your fellow woman, your fellow Kentuckian, and your fellow American.”
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Well, I wouldn't have let it go without asking what they were doing, if they had permission and would have called the police if I didn't get a reasonable answer. . . .    I know - it's too late now. 

This is what I would think -- but later.  I never seem to think of things like this in the moment!  Always too late.