Menu

I am now the parent of a high school senior.

3 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

My junior has a few more things to finish up for this school year, but I'll be joining you soon too.

Same here....my oldest is just finishing up junior year.  I am starting to panic a bit about getting all of my stuff done for applications.  Also, I wasn’t super confident about my role as guidance counselor, but any I had is now gone with this weird situation we find ourselves in.

• Like 4

Mine will officially be promoted this afternoon after he finishes his last AP test of the week and we finish our discussion on Isaac Asimov! So surreal.  My dining table is currently covered with copies of his transcript, course descriptions that need editing, drafts of our school profile, and pitiful attempts at a counselor letter.  Perhaps it’s not so surreal after all...

These kids will have quite a story to tell about their last two years of school...Congratulations to all the moms and dads who have gotten this class this far!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 7:57 AM, Hadley said:

Mine will officially be promoted this afternoon after he finishes his last AP test of the week and we finish our discussion on Isaac Asimov! So surreal.  My dining table is currently covered with copies of his transcript, course descriptions that need editing, drafts of our school profile, and pitiful attempts at a counselor letter.  Perhaps it’s not so surreal after all...

These kids will have quite a story to tell about their last two years of school...Congratulations to all the moms and dads who have gotten this class this far!

Now you make me feel like a slacker. While I do have many of my course descriptions written and I've at least started transcripts and school profile, I've been in denial that I actually need to finish most of it this summer. We haven't even decided what colleges to apply to or what major. His real dream is to attend a military academy and, while we've started that daunting process, we know it's a long shot and we need to have a back up plan. The pandemic has damaged both his chance to boost his academy application (sports, leadership activities, ACT) and caused us to miss out on college visits this spring.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Now you make me feel like a slacker. While I do have many of my course descriptions written and I've at least started transcripts and school profile, I've been in denial that I actually need to finish most of it this summer. We haven't even decided what colleges to apply to or what major. His real dream is to attend a military academy and, while we've started that daunting process, we know it's a long shot and we need to have a back up plan. The pandemic has damaged both his chance to boost his academy application (sports, leadership activities, ACT) and caused us to miss out on college visits this spring.

This is us (minus the service academy bit).  We have hardly visited any schools, my daughter was trying for one of the levels of the congressional award but the trip she planned was canceled in April, and her Stars and Stripes project for AHG is on hold.  I think Stars and Stripes is the hardest for her because they have not been very forthcoming about accommodations or extensions due to the virus and she turns 18 early in her senior year.  At least the congressional award can be completed up to age 23 (somewhere in that area at least), but it won’t help for college applications.  

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

If it’s any consolation, I worked full speed ahead for exactly one afternoon, and then decided that I must stop and spring clean my house. Apparently, I will do anything to avoid writing the counselor letter!

I hear you about the lost opportunities this summer for these kids. We have been struggling with that as well. I just keep repeating to myself that these kids are all in the same situation.  It stinks so much for them.

My husband happens to be an Academy graduate, and we were just talking about what kids could do to show leadership this summer, since that is such a huge part of the Academy application.  Has your son looked for ideas to volunteer virtually?  Perhaps start a virtual story-time for young kids in shelters?  A letter-writing campaign, or collecting gift certificates for local small businesses to help them get back on their feet?  I think leadership might just look very different this summer.

Best of luck to your son with his dream.  It’s a great one to have!  My son dreamed of this for years until we learned that he can’t be in the military with a peanut allergy.  He then had to find a new dream.  We have met so many people during our years as a military family who found so many different opportunities by walking so very many different paths.  I encourage your son to go for it, but I do want to encourage him to look for another path into becoming an officer if the academies don’t pan out.  The world really still is an oyster...I hope I don’t sound like I’m preaching this to you.  I just really have to keep reminding myself!

Good luck to your son!

• Thanks 1

Having trod this road exactly once so far, I have the following advice on the counselor letter:  start early & then just return to it every couple of weeks. The "start" could simply be jotting down some adjectives that you feel describe your kid. Or, gathering some end-of-class comments by previous teachers or scratching down a story you might want to include. The next time, you might start a draft of the letter or maybe you think of examples of the adjectives you wrote down. The important thing is to be thinking & writing down those thoughts. Most of us can't compose a masterpiece in one sitting & the ideas build over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations!  Me, too!  My one and only is starting his senoir year.

If it’s any consolation, I worked full speed ahead for exactly one afternoon, and then decided that I must stop and spring clean my house. Apparently, I will do anything to avoid writing the counselor letter!

Yep, I am procrastinating the counselor letter.  But I did start it back in Janurary with just some phrases and words, no real sentences.  Now its cleaning and baking all the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Having trod this road exactly once so far, I have the following advice on the counselor letter:  start early & then just return to it every couple of weeks. The "start" could simply be jotting down some adjectives that you feel describe your kid. Or, gathering some end-of-class comments by previous teachers or scratching down a story you might want to include. The next time, you might start a draft of the letter or maybe you think of examples of the adjectives you wrote down. The important thing is to be thinking & writing down those thoughts. Most of us can't compose a masterpiece in one sitting & the ideas build over time.

Thank you so much for this reassurance.  I’ve been at the jot-it-down idea stage for a few months now, but it’s good to know that someone else has made it through to the end of this process and lived to tell the tale!  Thanks, too, for the reminder to add in bits of comments from other teachers.  Somewhere around here I had started some idea notes for that...

I so appreciate the help I have received from this board.

• Like 2