Menu

game suggestions for 5 or more players

ProudGrandma

We are a family of 5 and need a new game.    We have 3 kids 16 and older....  I would prefer a game that isn't highly strategic (Sagrada for example) or random (Tenzi)...or something that has a ton of rules (Fluxx).  (this is because I want my husband to play with us...and he won't if those 3 things are involved)   We are good with either board or card games.   A couple games my husband with play with us are Bohnanza,  and Nines (which is similar to Skyjo).  Does anybody have a suggestion for us?

thanks. 

Phase 10 is our go-to game when we have a group of 5-6.  It can get long, but it’s easy change up the rules a bit to make the game shorter with a time crunch.  We also started playing “Pass the Trash” (uses a normal deck of cards, can probably Google the rules) a few weeks ago with the kids, although it’s more fun with all teens/adults, IMO.

The big group games we like include...

Dix It - you have all these pretty cards and have to pick a phrase and then vote on which card represents the phrase. It's like Apples to Apples with pictures and coming up with your own words. It's fun.

Telestrations - this is like telephone with drawing - you have to draw a word or phrase then pass your white erase booklet and that person guesses what you drew then the next person draws the guess, then the next person guesses that. At the end, you present it. It's not really competitive (there are ways to play with points, but most people don't) but it's very funny.

Say Anything - another party game with guesses, similar to Apples to Apples

Concept - you have to use all these pegs to illustrate different things and others guess them.

Wise and Otherwise - You have to complete obscure sayings from other cultures and guess which one is the real one. Very funny.

We also like a number of strategy games for larger groups like 7 Wonders, Splendor, and Ticket to Ride, but you said not strategy based.

25 minutes ago, Farrar said:

The big group games we like include...

Dix It - you have all these pretty cards and have to pick a phrase and then vote on which card represents the phrase. It's like Apples to Apples with pictures and coming up with your own words. It's fun.

Telestrations - this is like telephone with drawing - you have to draw a word or phrase then pass your white erase booklet and that person guesses what you drew then the next person draws the guess, then the next person guesses that. At the end, you present it. It's not really competitive (there are ways to play with points, but most people don't) but it's very funny.

Say Anything - another party game with guesses, similar to Apples to Apples

Concept - you have to use all these pegs to illustrate different things and others guess them.

Wise and Otherwise - You have to complete obscure sayings from other cultures and guess which one is the real one. Very funny.

We also like a number of strategy games for larger groups like 7 Wonders, Splendor, and Ticket to Ride, but you said not strategy based.

I agree, but I would add that Ticket to Ride doesn't have complicated strategy. It is really easy to learn and play. My 5 year old still needs some help finding her locations but has come close to winning the regular version.

Call person Pitch for a 5 person card game. Dutch Blitz is good with 5 if you get the regular and expansion packs.

Unusual Suspects could be played with 5. Ice Cool? It is a different sort of game.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Farrar said:

This was precisely the game I was going to mention. If you can't find a copy, I'll suggest The Game of Things.

I'll also recommend Bananagrams, Five Crowns, and SET.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kfeusse said:

thank you all for the ideas.  I needed something to help us pass some of the time....and Amazon has some games that are shipping quickly and some that don't....so I wanted a couple options.  Keep them coming.  

So, the suggestion of 7 Wonders might be good despite being strategic.  We love Bohnanza here and really enjoy 7 Wonders and Ticket to Ride.  I think TTR is a lighter version but I don't love it quite as much.  Another suggestion - dutch blitz?