Menu

Whine with me, because misery loves company...teeny update

Excelsior! Academy

At 4 am this morning, I was awaken by a knock on my bedroom door.  My teen son tells me that there is water downstairs.  When dh went downstairs, he found the entire floor flooded with about 2-3 inches of water.  All of the downstairs.  We spent a good hour sweeping, mopping, and soaking every blasted towel we owned cleaning it up. Do you remember my thread a few weeks ago about water in our vent, that turned out to be a rock puncturing a pipe under our slab?  Of course, these two things are unrelated, but I am so over it all!  Over it!!  Not to mention needing to call the plumber during the Coronavirus pandemic quarantine.  Thankfully, he's a friend of ours and is very cautious about social distancing.  I guess we will be calling him again today to fix said water problem.  *sigh*

**********************Update***************************

We only have significant water damage to a handful of library books along with some puzzles and curricula I had planned to donate. Hopefully the library will be understanding. We have fans everywhere and the plumber will be here this afternoon.  There is water under our flooring at the seams.  That will dry quickly, right?  I still need to move the fridge and other large appliances.  The treadmill was on a mat and was the farthest away from the water source so it didn't get wet.  We had budgeted and just purchased it, so I am thrilled it is safe! 

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
update
  • Sad 20

9 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

On a semi-related note, didn’t someone lose their house to fire that day oh the water in the vent? And how are they?

That was someone who was posting under at least three different names and told numerous dramatic tales.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

Oh, no! That is a huge mess! And so close together! Did you find the cause of this morning’s flood?

On a semi-related note, didn’t someone lose their house to fire that day oh the water in the vent? And how are they?

I'm not sure what the piece is called, but it is a flexible pipe looking thing that attaches from the wall to the toilet.  Fortunately, it was clean water.

16 minutes ago, Selkie said:

That was someone who was posting under at least three different names and told numerous dramatic tales.

What in the world!?  I had no idea the other poster was making it all up!!  It must be nice to have so little happening in one's life that one needs to create drama.  

12 minutes ago, Selkie said:

So sorry! I hope your floors weren't damaged.

Thank you!  I think we caught it in time.  A few months ago we removed all downstairs carpeting and installed hospitality grade vinyl "wood" flooring.  There may be some under the stairs, but other than seems like we got it all.  I'm just glad my son heard the water running.  I can't imagine if we had found it a couple of hours later!

Boy, can I commiserate. We had our carpeted basement flood with backed up sewage water a few days ago. We discovered it about 7pm, and the plumber was done with the clog at 11 pm. $$! We started the clean up ourselves, cutting the carpet out (gross), and moving everything away from the wet, but then realized baseboard and walls were involved, so we called in a company. We now are at the stage where everything is sanitized, but we have big sections of carpet gone, stuff everywhere, and several walls with the bottom foot cut out. At least we tested negative for asbestos. The company wouldn’t cut into the walls without the test, and our insurance offhandedly said they aren’t sure they cover asbestos remediation. I might have been freaking out some by that point. Not what we needed in terms of stress, lol. 

• Sad 2