Menu

How can I make canned/jarred sauerkraut really yummy?

Ginevra

Assuming I’m not asking something that cannot be done. I want to take a jar of sauerkraut and...do some5hing to it, so it tastes delicious and not like reheated limp cabbage. 😬 How do you make sauerkraut (that’s not made-from-scratch sauerkraut)? 

I have a recipe around here somewhere that makes a delicious casserole with sauerkraut, kielbasa, and potatoes. Let me look...

ETA, Oh, I’m sorry if I misunderstood; are you trying to make it ‘by itself’ taste better?  And, I see my recipe was an on-the-fly thing with ched cheese & a little white sauce to hold it together (if diced not mashed pots that particular time). 

But, I believe that people rinse it, then boil with some apple & perhaps a little sugar to combat ate sourness. I love it, sour as can be, on a mett!

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

I grew up eating sauerkraut with brown sugar mixed in. Loved it, and now I can't eat it unsweetened. DH hates it, even the smell, so I don't eat it any more, but the following used to be one of my very favorite meals:

Can of sauerkraut (preferably the kind with caraway seeds), drained, with brown sugar added (no measurement; we just eyeballed it -- perhaps 3T),  placed in the bottom of a casserole dish. Cut a package of smoked sausage into 4" lengths and place on top of sauerkraut. Poke a few holes with a fork in each sausage. Bake in oven for half an hour or so. Serve with mashed potatoes.

After we got a microwave, we discovered that it was almost as good microwaved, instead of baked. With that method, it's a very quick meal.

• Like 1

When I open a jar of sauerkraut, I have a problem. Namely, if I don't keep my eyes on it at all times, it might be half gone or more by the time I want it for dinner (if we're putting it on brats or whatever). So I guess I just don't understand the problem, as clearly my family and I think it's good straight from the can, and I should just see myself out of this thread.

Also, Storygirl posted as Is typed, and now her recipe will  be tried very soon!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I've always done similar to previous posters - put kraut in the bottom of a Dutch oven, put in some meat (pork chops, kielbasa, other sausage) and  some potatoes, and bake it.  Serve with mustard.

My mom would take any leftovers and make a sort of hash with them, cooking it all in butter. Fond memories of this though I never do it myself.

But I also am not sure if you are asking how to make it taste better plain?

I make a reuben casserole.

Mix kraut with caraway seeds and 1000 island dressing ( I use a low sugar version.) Layer in a casserole dish with corned beef and swiss cheese. Two layers of each, end with cheese on top. Heat on 325 til hot through. Serve with buttered rye toast on the side for those who can have the carbs and gluten. 

We get fermented kraut from our CSA farmer and since I'm the only one who loves it, I eat it straight from the jar! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Well, you could throw it in the trash and go buy KFC cole slaw for starters. 
🤷🏻‍♀️😘😘😘

Lol, I hate cole slaw! (I dont like mayonnaise ever in anything.) 

1 hour ago, marbel said:

I've always done similar to previous posters - put kraut in the bottom of a Dutch oven, put in some meat (pork chops, kielbasa, other sausage) and  some potatoes, and bake it.  Serve with mustard.

My mom would take any leftovers and make a sort of hash with them, cooking it all in butter. Fond memories of this though I never do it myself.

But I also am not sure if you are asking how to make it taste better plain?

Im asking, like, what you do with it besides dump it out of a can and eat it directly. I think this is not the way. I think you have to add some things to it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quill said:

Im asking, like, what you do with it besides dump it out of a can and eat it directly. I think this is not the way. I think you have to add some things to it. 

Yeah, I haven't really ever just eaten it on it's own.  I imagine there are people who do, but I'm not one of them and I don't think I've ever seen it served on by itself.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I’ve never added anything to the kraut. I buy local ruby kraut usually—I eat it straight out of the jar, or as a side to almost anything savoury, or on a salad instead of dressing. But the kraut I buy is different than the mass produced grocery store kind, it’s super fresh and amazing as is. I’ve never actually heard of adding anything to it?

And now I’m craving kraut. For dinner I think  I’ll make veggie sausages, mashed potatoes, peas and kraut. And a Guinness. 😉. Total throwback meal—my mom is German so we we used to eat a variation of that a lot as a kid. Mmmm. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Hmmm, I’ve never added anything to the kraut. I buy local ruby kraut usually—I eat it straight out of the jar, or as a side to almost anything savoury, or on a salad instead of dressing. But the kraut I buy is different than the mass produced grocery store kind, it’s super fresh and amazing as is. I’ve never actually heard of adding anything to it?

And now I’m craving kraut. For dinner I think  I’ll make veggie sausages, mashed potatoes, peas and kraut. And a Guinness. 😉. Total throwback meal—my mom is German so we we used to eat a variation of that a lot as a kid. Mmmm. 

Part of why I want this sauerkraut is because I want to reproduce the brats on a crusty bun with sauerkraut I recently had in Munich. Those were so delicious! Mmmm!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

I’m curious—did the kraut you have there have anything added to it? I’m so intrigued—I’ve never heard of doing that! 

I’m not sure but it was just really good! 

Many traditional German recipes would have you sautee an onion in pork fat or butter, add the kraut, add some white wine and broth, simmer for a long time with a laurel leaf, juniper berries, and cumin.

I cant't speak from experience because sauerkraut is almost the only food I cannot stand. (We had to eat it in preschool all the time and one day I choked so bad on a big piece, can't get near it ever since)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Quill said:

DS15 says sugar 😂 He did that to a glass bottle of store bought sauerkraut. I prefer the purple sauerkraut that my kids’ German classmates’ parents make for the annual semester end parties.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

So, when you get a Polish hotdog at Costco, is sauerkraut not one of the toppings?

It possibly is. I have never bought any hotdog at Costco and dont know what they offer. 

(To explain, because that post sounds snobby to me, I shop, then I want to get outta there. I have a drive to get home and I dont like my groceries sitting there thawing while I eat.) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, regentrude said:

Many traditional German recipes would have you sautee an onion in pork fat or butter, add the kraut, add some white wine and broth, simmer for a long time with a laurel leaf, juniper berries, and cumin.

I cant't speak from experience because sauerkraut is almost the only food I cannot stand. (We had to eat it in preschool all the time and one day I choked so bad on a big piece, can't get near it ever since)

This is it. I think this is what I’m looking for. This is why what I had tasted so good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quill said:

It possibly is. I have never bought any hotdog at Costco and dont know what they offer. 

(To explain, because that post sounds snobby to me, I shop, then I want to get outta there. I have a drive to get home and I dont like my groceries sitting there thawing while I eat.) 

Fair enough! (We eat before we shop, and sometimes call that the first part of our date, lol) 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Quill said:

Assuming I’m not asking something that cannot be done. I want to take a jar of sauerkraut and...do some5hing to it, so it tastes delicious and not like reheated limp cabbage. 😬 How do you make sauerkraut (that’s not made-from-scratch sauerkraut)? 

My sauerkraut recipe (which uses pre-made sauerkraut - I usually buy the refrigerated stuff in the bag, but I'm guessing jarred would be similar):

1 lb. pork
4 c. water
salt
1 onion, chopped 
caraway seeds
10 juniper berries
2 lbs sauerkraut
2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut in 1/8ths

Put water, pork and salt in a large pot.  Put the onion, caraway seeds, and juniper berries on top.  Then layer in the sauerkraut, then add the apple slices on top.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 90 minutes.

I serve this with spaetzle, which is a kind of German pasta, but it's even more traditional to serve with some kind of potatoes - chopped/boiled or mashed.  This is super-yummy.

• Thanks 1