Menu

dry skin help please

HollyDay

I've got the worse dry skin.  My legs are especially dry as are feet and forarms.  A little background....I'm almost 60 with ckd (which I'm told can affect dry skin).  We have had a fairly mild winter this year.  Very few days were what I'd call "cold."  Spring is coming and with that, swim season will be starting.  I'd like to get my skin in better hydration now.  What works???

I think it's very individual. I'm 57, so have the typical getting-dryer-with-age problem. I also have hypothyroidism and possibly Sjogren's (at this point my rheumy is just calling it sicca syndrome). So I'm super dry everywhere. During the winter I always keep room humidifiers going in the main living area and my bedroom. Those make a huge difference. When my skin is at its worst I use Aquaphor, even on my face. When it's just its normal level of dry CeraVe in the big tub works okay. For makeup I layer a tinted moisturizer over either the Aquaphor or CeraVe. Regular foundation, even the supposedly creamy kinds, don't work at all for me. Of course keep your showers cool or lukewarm and avoid hot, and moisturize as soon as you get out, while your skin is still a little damp. ETA: Recently I've been experimenting with medical grade petroleum jelly. It works especially well for my lips, and the inside of my nose (sorry if that's TMI--most people don't need to moisturize that area, of course).

Edited by Pawz4me

One thing you could do is when you turn off the water in a shower instead of reaching for a towel reach for a shower oil.  There are fancy ones, but you could also use one like baby oil or sesame oil. Then afterwards put on a really thick cream like CeraVe.

Also I'd use CeraVe every time you wash your hands, and twice a day on your body.

And drink more water.

• Like 2

Go on a cruise. Seriously, I leave our cold climate and as soon as I hit better weather, boom my skin looks better. But also, reality is in those climates I'm also more active and DRINKING MORE WATER. I seem to need more water than what you see written places. Like doesn't it say 8 cups a day or something? I seem to need closer to a gallon a day.

Also I've been playing around with vitamin E. It seems to help a bit, not so much with the dryness but with healing up.

Edited by PeterPan

I am always dry and rashy in the winter.  Avoiding sugar and staying very hydrated and regular exerise seem to help me.  However, this has been my favorite product for a few years after using eucerin for years.  This product works really great for me.  If I miss a few days and then use it I can see and feel a difference overnight.  

https://www.amazon.com/Puriya-Psoriasis-Dermatitis-Powerful-Irritated/dp/B00YHZFA5E/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=puriya&qid=1583193227&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWlhYTVFZNTRDT1ZDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTI5Njc0M0VYMlNHVEEwNVZIWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDU2MjE2MjJaU0Q0NEVRTU5GMSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=