Menu

February 2020 Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

I had some high stress times in January but things have thankfully settled down. I didn't hit every workout that I planned but that's life, overall I'm pleased, I've gained strength, sleep is much improved, energy and mood improved. Weight is steady (I'm aiming for maintenance). 

Feb plans:

Continue Ultimate Pull-Up Program 3x a week (I do have 2 weekends w/ plans that I'll have to tweak things up, I'm looking into options now), bucket carries, stairmaster/treadmill incline intervals. Hikes. Morning recovery/mobility/stretching/foam rolling.

Maintain weight, gain strength.

Eat my fruits and veggies and keep protein up.

• Like 1

Thanks for starting us out on the new month, soror! I like the variety you have in your work-outs! 

Feb plans: 

- Exercise outside everyday possible by either: cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, skating or hiking.

- Play tennis whenever possible; minimum is my league twice/month

- Daily physiotherapy stretches and strength work on upper back and neck.

- Maintain weight and strength.

- Eat a good variety of protein, veg and fruit.

- Try to manage the various stressors in life through exercise, meditation/prayer, support from friends and family

• Like 2

I kicked off the month with an hour of vigorous snowshoeing in the woods, mostly breaking my own trail. It was fun, keeps my mind occupied trying to find a route through the bush, and I use both legs and arms when I have poles with me. 

I got in my stretching and strength exercises. Made my homemade gluten and dairy-free pumpkin pie. It's my favourite apres-ski/snowshoe treat. 😉

• Like 3

Thanks for the new thread, @soror

February plans: continue with moderate eating to settle back into maintenance; Pilates once a week; NW twice a week. Hike at least twice a month. Yoga? I'll be finishing my January 30-day tomorrow. I want to work more on strength this month, I think. Maybe a month of strength/back stretch focus, then a new 30-day course?  Not sure yet.  I'll have to look at Adriene's back catalogue.

• Like 3

February plans mostly same-old, same-old.  Though I didn't get a Pilates class card last month like I meant to, so hopefully this month.  My weight seems to be slowly trending back down after a small uptick over the holidays.  Not really looking to lose more, but didn't want to reverse direction so that is good.

My sleep has been rather stinky - Fitbit was giving me weekly average scores that were in the low 70's or even high 60's, but somehow the last three nights in a row I've managed just over 80, so I should pay more attention to that and keep up the trend if I can.

• Like 4

Today I did workout 56 of Beachbody's 80 Day Obsession.  It was booty day and my bum and thighs are definitely sore! My abs are also still sore from all the core work the last couple of days. I have 4 weeks left, so I'll finish up at the end of the month, then do A Little More Obsessed (1 week long).  Then it will be calving season, and my main workout will be taking care of baby calves (including picking them up and moving them around) while trying to avoid irritated mama cows 😂.  I think I walk several miles a day during calving season, although this year I'll be sure to wear my fitbit and find out just how many miles I log! Example: I had one cow last year that climbed what should have been an un-climbable snowbank, crossed the creek, climbed another ridiculous snowbank, and had her calf under a tree in deep snow where the calf couldn't really get up and move around.  I spotted her while crossing the bridge upstream, and there was no way to get to her with any kind of vehicle.  So I climbed the snowbank, crossed the creek, climbed the other snowbank, and waded through the snow to the calf.  He couldn't walk through the deep snow very well at all, so I picked him up and carried him back through the snow, over the snowbank, across the creek, etc etc, having to put him down several times to rest.  Except the mama cow didn't follow, so I put the calf on a dry spot, climbed back across, and had to chase her around in the snow for awhile before she finally decided to cross the creek and find her baby.  Thankfully most of calving isn't quite THAT eventful.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

Today I did workout 56 of Beachbody's 80 Day Obsession.  It was booty day and my bum and thighs are definitely sore! My abs are also still sore from all the core work the last couple of days. I have 4 weeks left, so I'll finish up at the end of the month, then do A Little More Obsessed (1 week long).  Then it will be calving season, and my main workout will be taking care of baby calves (including picking them up and moving them around) while trying to avoid irritated mama cows 😂.  I think I walk several miles a day during calving season, although this year I'll be sure to wear my fitbit and find out just how many miles I log! Example: I had one cow last year that climbed what should have been an un-climbable snowbank, crossed the creek, climbed another ridiculous snowbank, and had her calf under a tree in deep snow where the calf couldn't really get up and move around.  I spotted her while crossing the bridge upstream, and there was no way to get to her with any kind of vehicle.  So I climbed the snowbank, crossed the creek, climbed the other snowbank, and waded through the snow to the calf.  He couldn't walk through the deep snow very well at all, so I picked him up and carried him back through the snow, over the snowbank, across the creek, etc etc, having to put him down several times to rest.  Except the mama cow didn't follow, so I put the calf on a dry spot, climbed back across, and had to chase her around in the snow for awhile before she finally decided to cross the creek and find her baby.  Thankfully most of calving isn't quite THAT eventful.

Wow! You are superwoman!! You don't need any nambi-pambi beachbody stuff when you go carrying calves around in snowbanks. You could write your own 'Farming Momma' exercise program. I'd love to try and keep up with it! 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I got in some wonderful snowshoeing. Perfect conditions. I did a 1.5 hr hike breaking trail and bushwhacking the entire way, also using poles. So it was pretty good for mind and body. 

Things are coming together for the BIG MOVE my family is doing this summer. Have a potential buyer for our home, and a potential beautiful home we could rent down in CO near a great high school. Also, my 17 yo ds who is recovering from a bad concussion is doing a lot better.   Such a huge load off my mind!  😀

• Like 3

I am finishing the build phase of the beach body beast lean calendar then moving on to a different workout.  I completed the 45 day all of nothing beast challenge and did 3 weeks of the lean calendar and I really need a change.    For a couple weeks I plan to rotate through Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels workouts then back to beach body liift 4\21dfx hybrid. 

• Like 5

Only managed five hours of sleep last night. I had the sense to skip Nordic Walking, but I did do 80 minutes of yoga (to finish the January sequence), walked the dog for a couple of miles, got in wood for the stove and generally did way too much all day. I made a couple of elaborate meals, which was wholly unnecessary. I'm running on fumes but it's almost bedtime.

• Like 3

Hi, happy February!

This is the 14th consecutive day that I did my "yoga etc." and TKD form practice.  I hope that February 29 will be my 41st consecutive day.  🙂

Yesterday I passed my belt test and am now Cho Dan Bo.  In preparation for the black belt test, I have to know 4 or 5 forms, some of which I have not done in over 5 years.  So I will try to practice all of them as best I can on a daily basis.

I will try to increase my walking / jogging over the course of the month, though I am not in a position to set up a regular schedule for this right now.

• Like 5

Hi everybody, I had a few mins of downtime and wanted to stop in for a bit. 

*Non-fitness stuff, feel free to skip 🙂 *

So my dad apparently has been having severe a-fib, which kind of culminated in a huge "episode" Friday night, when my mom called me to come over and I immediately called 911.  His wildly swinging heart rate caused numerous small strokes and seizures.  He now has a pacemaker and is on blood thinners.  His speech is quite slurred and he had a hard time walking today when they got him up to go sit in a chair.  They think some of this will improve as his brain comes back online after all that trauma but he will need to go to a short-term stroke rehab facility after being released from the hospital.  He is 72, but has been very active and healthy his entire life so this is all quite a shock and in general a huge nightmare.  I'm an only child and my mom is not very independent so we are entering uncharted territory here.  I just wish I could rewind time back to before all this happened!

*Back to mostly fitness stuff*

No sleep at all Friday night, but last night was ok and if I do good again tonight I will try to lift in the morning.  I think it will help with tension both mentally and physically.  Then over to my parents' house to spend the morning putting the house back to normal/cleaning/laundry/pet care, etc.  If I am not worn out by then we will go to CKD to try to keep things running normally for the boys.  Y'all keep my oldest son in your thoughts and prayers--my dad is his hero!

• Sad 5

@IvyInFlorida  So sorry about your dad. Big hugs to you all. Praying that he has a very good recovery. Is your mom less independent for health reasons, or because your dad was very capable?  It's great that you can be there to help them both through this very challenging time. Health is so fragile sometimes. You just never know when something will suddenly occur.  Hope you are able to sleep and function well. 

• Like 2

@IvyInFlorida, so sorry for your dad!  I wish you strength these coming days.  After all, what else are we trying to be "well trained" for, if not to face life's challenges?  Hang in there.  

Well you North Americans, while you're all snug in your beds, I've already been out for a 6am run!  I'm so proud of myself! 🤩  I told a local friend I was going running in the morning because I knew she'd ask me about it later, and that was enough motivation to get me out of bed.  I just did a 5k, but it is so nice to feel like I have the entire lake front to myself.  I had a few arguments with puddles that were significantly deeper than anticipated, but otherwise very pleasant.  

We've wrapped up all the birthday celebrations for my new teenager, so my weekend of cake pops, McDonalrd's, and osso bucco can wind to a close and I can get back to eating in a way that makes me feel healthy.   

• Like 5

9 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi everybody, I had a few mins of downtime and wanted to stop in for a bit. 

*Non-fitness stuff, feel free to skip 🙂 *

So my dad apparently has been having severe a-fib, which kind of culminated in a huge "episode" Friday night, when my mom called me to come over and I immediately called 911.  His wildly swinging heart rate caused numerous small strokes and seizures.  He now has a pacemaker and is on blood thinners.  His speech is quite slurred and he had a hard time walking today when they got him up to go sit in a chair.  They think some of this will improve as his brain comes back online after all that trauma but he will need to go to a short-term stroke rehab facility after being released from the hospital.  He is 72, but has been very active and healthy his entire life so this is all quite a shock and in general a huge nightmare.  I'm an only child and my mom is not very independent so we are entering uncharted territory here.  I just wish I could rewind time back to before all this happened!

*Back to mostly fitness stuff*

No sleep at all Friday night, but last night was ok and if I do good again tonight I will try to lift in the morning.  I think it will help with tension both mentally and physically.  Then over to my parents' house to spend the morning putting the house back to normal/cleaning/laundry/pet care, etc.  If I am not worn out by then we will go to CKD to try to keep things running normally for the boys.  Y'all keep my oldest son in your thoughts and prayers--my dad is his hero!

Thank you for the update, I am very sorry to hear about your dad. I hope his recovery goes as smoothly as possible and he regains back what he has lost.

4 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

North Americans, while you're all snug in your beds, I've already been out for a 6am run!  I'm so proud of myself! 🤩  I told a local friend I was going running in the morning because I knew she'd ask me about it later, and that was enough motivation to get me out of bed.  I just did a 5k, but it is so nice to feel like I have the entire lake front to myself.  I had a few arguments with puddles that were significantly deeper than anticipated, but otherwise very pleasant.  

We've wrapped up all the birthday celebrations for my new teenager, so my weekend of cake pops, McDonalrd's, and osso bucco can wind to a close and I can get back to eating in a way that makes me feel healthy.   

Good for you Monica!!! It is lovely to have decadent food for occasions but very nice to get back to the usual too.

12 hours ago, SKL said:

Hi, happy February!

This is the 14th consecutive day that I did my "yoga etc." and TKD form practice.  I hope that February 29 will be my 41st consecutive day.  🙂

Yesterday I passed my belt test and am now Cho Dan Bo.  In preparation for the black belt test, I have to know 4 or 5 forms, some of which I have not done in over 5 years.  So I will try to practice all of them as best I can on a daily basis.

I will try to increase my walking / jogging over the course of the month, though I am not in a position to set up a regular schedule for this right now.

2 weeks in a row is awesome and many congrats on passing yoru belt test.

We had a wonderful hike yesterday and I got so much done around the house. I hit 80+ on my sleep score 2 nights in a row, all fall I only hit 80+ twice I think. Last week was my highest average yet at 75. So, I am feeling like I have much more energy with the increased sleep, it is amazing.

I plan a walk again today as we have another good weather day and stretching/mobility work of some kind this morning. I worked very hard Saturday but have had just a bit of soreness and tightness, I'm very pleased with that.

• Like 5

Yesterday, I did 25 min of Fight Club/Kickboxing in the am and then 1 mile walk with dd1. We worked outside all morning, we decided to take off Monday instead of our usual Friday since the weather was so nice.

Today is lifting w/ treadmill this evening, stretching this am, probably Morning Meltdown- I only have 2 more days in my subscription (I'm not renewing as I don't care to try anything else after looking through it the last month).

• Like 3

It's a beautiful, mind winter day here. I was inspired to go for an early morning cross-country ski. It was very nice, and I saw 4 deer. Great start to the day!  I kept the ski short as my shoulders and knees were feeling a bit sore. I hope to get out for a hike later today if I don't have to do a ton of driving around. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It's a beautiful, mind winter day here. I was inspired to go for an early morning cross-country ski. It was very nice, and I saw 4 deer. Great start to the day!  I kept the ski short as my shoulders and knees were feeling a bit sore. I hope to get out for a hike later today if I don't have to do a ton of driving around. 

You think you are just sore from all the activity? We have had so many deer out here lately, every time I leave they are crossing the road.

Temp is mild here but no sun, again. I don't know how people survive where it is cloudy so much, I hate it, usually we have colder temps but more sunlight, this year it has been so cloudy and windy.

20 min yoga done

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, soror said:

You think you are just sore from all the activity? We have had so many deer out here lately, every time I leave they are crossing the road.

Temp is mild here but no sun, again. I don't know how people survive where it is cloudy so much, I hate it, usually we have colder temps but more sunlight, this year it has been so cloudy and windy.

20 min yoga done

Yes, the soreness is definitely from skiing 2 days in a row. I just couldn't resist, though, and I kept the ski really short today. When the awesome skiing days are so limited, I sometimes try to pack in too much.

I much prefer sunshine as well. Hope the sun pops out from behind the clouds for you soon!  Great job getting in your yoga! 

I would LOVE to have deer right by my house. We have only squirrels.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 8:38 PM, wintermom said:

@IvyInFlorida  So sorry about your dad. Big hugs to you all. Praying that he has a very good recovery. Is your mom less independent for health reasons, or because your dad was very capable?  It's great that you can be there to help them both through this very challenging time. Health is so fragile sometimes. You just never know when something will suddenly occur.  Hope you are able to sleep and function well. 

My mom is pretty healthy, thankfully!  She just thinks she's dumb and gets easily flustered and boxes herself into a lot of "I can't do this" corners.  I'm really grateful that sleep has been good for me.  He had a good day today and we had a normal afternoon here at home after I got back from the hospital.  Morale is much improved from yesterday (which was my birthday--worst one ever!)

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

My mom is pretty healthy, thankfully!  She just thinks she's dumb and gets easily flustered and boxes herself into a lot of "I can't do this" corners.  I'm really grateful that sleep has been good for me.  He had a good day today and we had a normal afternoon here at home after I got back from the hospital.  Morale is much improved from yesterday (which was my birthday--worst one ever!) 

I hope you can designate a supplementary birthday for yourself at a later date. Glad your dad had a good day and that you are all doing better.

I just ran some errands on foot at lunchtime, but then Nordic Walked after work. There was just enough light after 5pm to fit in a couple of miles. And then 25 minutes of gentle yoga before bed. I've decided to loosely follow Adriene's February calendar, adapting to my energy and available time. https://yogawithadriene.com/calendar/

• Like 3

My rowing is going to be on hold for at least a week, I think. I slipped on a patch of ice this morning and definitely bruised, possibly broke my tailbone. I’m keeping an eye on an area of my wrist, too, that is very swollen and purple right now - may have to go get that checked in the next day or two. 

I feel like this is how exercise seems to go for me - I get on a really good roll and then something happens where I need to stop. It will be good motivation for me to really watch my calories, though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

My rowing is going to be on hold for at least a week, I think. I slipped on a patch of ice this morning and definitely bruised, possibly broke my tailbone. I’m keeping an eye on an area of my wrist, too, that is very swollen and purple right now - may have to go get that checked in the next day or two. 

I feel like this is how exercise seems to go for me - I get on a really good roll and then something happens where I need to stop. It will be good motivation for me to really watch my calories, though. 

Ouch. I remember sitting down hard on ice one year. Nothing was broken but it took over a month for the soreness to subside.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

Ouch! I hope it heals quickly.

13 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I just ran some errands on foot at lunchtime, but then Nordic Walked after work. There was just enough light after 5pm to fit in a couple of miles. And then 25 minutes of gentle yoga before bed. I've decided to loosely follow Adriene's February calendar, adapting to my energy and available time. https://yogawithadriene.com/calendar/

Sounds like a good day and the calendar looks good, balanced.

13 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I am glad to hear from you, I hope your dad continues to improve quickly. I'm sorry your bday was such a rotten one 😞 especially with it being a big one, I hope that you can celebrate later.

I had a really good gym session last night. Lifting followed by 20 min of intervals on the stairclimber. Feeling stronger bit by bit, it is lovely to have some good days. I did landmine deadlifts with my bodyweight and didn't feel like I was at max. 

Feeling a little groggy today as I took regular melatonin (run out of time release and am getting more today). I might go ahead and take a nap today.

Today will be some nice recovery stretching in the am and a walk if the weather isn't bad.

Food has mostly been good although I have been indulging in cookies a bit much, usually I rarely eat them as I'd prefer other treats but I ran out of my homemade pb cups. I picked up dark chocolate covered almonds at the store last night for a bit better choice.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

I'll try for a good brisk walk at lunchtime, then I'll be working late before going to Pilates.  Nice food today:

Breakfast: berry porridge with soy yoghurt

Snack: silken tofu, berry and courgette smoothie with oatmilk, plus nuts later

Lunch: broad beans with olive oil, and grilled mediterranean veg

Supper: Yotam Ottolenghi's chickpea and onion soup: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/feb/01/yotam-ottolenghi-soup-recipes-chicken-black-eyed-bean-yemeni-onion-chickpea-celeriac-rice

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

@Laura Corin That soup looks delicious.  I need someone who already has all the spices in stock to cook it for me so I know if I like it.  😀

@IvyInFlorida Happy birthday!  I'm so sorry it came at a rough time, but we can still celebrate in this thread with you!  🎂

Eating is going well.  I have not repeated my early morning run, instead I've been sleeping 9-10 hours a night for the last few nights.  I had a blood draw today for thyroid and iron and I'll have the results tomorrow.  Most likely my iron has tanked again.  Sigh.  But I do plan to run tonight.  Saw the dentist with the kids yesterday for braces adjustments, and I get my invisalign next week, and I'm SO EXCITED!!!   

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

@Laura Corin That soup looks delicious.  I need someone who already has all the spices in stock to cook it for me so I know if I like it.  😀

@IvyInFlorida Happy birthday!  I'm so sorry it came at a rough time, but we can still celebrate in this thread with you!  🎂

Eating is going well.  I have not repeated my early morning run, instead I've been sleeping 9-10 hours a night for the last few nights.  I had a blood draw today for thyroid and iron and I'll have the results tomorrow.  Most likely my iron has tanked again.  Sigh.  But I do plan to run tonight.  Saw the dentist with the kids yesterday for braces adjustments, and I get my invisalign next week, and I'm SO EXCITED!!!   

This is the thing with Yotam: lots of spices.  There are tons of jokes about his obscure ingredients.  I tend to cook in that style anyway, and the whole spices tend to last (as opposed to ground spices, which lose their vim). https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2018/10/29/11-ingredients-to-add-to-your-pantry-and-channel-ottolenghis-favorite-flavors/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Ugh, low iron can really drain your energy 😞 I am sure you are anxious to see the results and braces!

20 min yoga this am. I have a bit of soreness today but nothing terribly bad.

And I'm annoyed, I tracked my workouts for yesterday and it shows that I did workouts but it does not show the duration or my HR even though it was reading it during my workouts, I don't know where the info went, I like to keep it for comparison. My HR topped out at 181 during lifting, I think that might be a new high. I didn't get there as early as I wanted so I was moving more quickly to get done in time and I was moving heavier weights. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I went for an early morning hike in the woods. It was sunny, cold and beautiful!  I'll be driving a lot over the next 3 days, so not sure if I'll have much time outdoors in nature. It will be good to give my shoulders a rest, as they are still a bit tender from the pole action in skate skiing. 

• Like 3

I'm on day 1 of a 4 day road trip. First downtown Ottawa, where I went for a walk along the Rideau Canal. Then on to Montreal where dh and I will see Jim Gaffigan perform. We had Montreal-style smoked meat at Schwarz's Deli for dinner. Tomorrow is Toronto, where I'll be presenting my research poster at a conference. Finally, on to London, Ontario to visit my aunt. Then zip back home to play my competitive tennis match. 

I wish it wasn't so much driving and so little time at each place, but I'll try to enjoy something interesting in each city.

• Like 3

The fun part of my road trip is done, now the serious part starts as I head to Toronto for my conference presentation. Dh and I really enjoyed the Jim Gaffigan show last night. He did more jokes involving Canada than most Canadian comedians do - and his observations were hilarious! I'm sure that his show is quite different in the rest of the world, as not many people would know about the many quirky things about Canada. They only know about the quirky things about their own countries, such as why is there are there 2 cities in the US both called Kansas City, and only one of them is actually in Kansas? 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

The fun part of my road trip is done, now the serious part starts as I head to Toronto for my conference presentation. Dh and I really enjoyed the Jim Gaffigan show last night. He did more jokes involving Canada than most Canadian comedians do - and his observations were hilarious! I'm sure that his show is quite different in the rest of the world, as not many people would know about the many quirky things about Canada. They only know about the quirky things about their own countries, such as why is there are there 2 cities in the US both called Kansas City, and only one of them is actually in Kansas? 😉

Ya, for a fun night. I like to watch Gaffigan's specials on tv, he always makes me laugh. That is so exciting and nervewracking that you have a presentation coming up, I have a very small presentation for Scout Sunday this weekend and I am so completely dreading it, I half wish for some type of temporary illness to get out of it, I hate being in front of a crowd. 

20 min yoga this am

DOMS today on the inner thighs from the stairmaster, I could feel it in wide legged child's pose. I've got some tightness in my shoulders too but that is most of the time, I'm always working them to keep up the flexibility. 

• Like 1

Well I have sort of settled into what passes for normal for the next 3ish weeks.  I've been visiting my dad in the hospital in the city every other morning and doing upkeep at my parents' house on the other days in the afternoon.  He will be moved to a stroke rehab place over the weekend to get him well enough to come home. 

Been too busy to get quite as much exercise as usual but I have still been lifting and going to CKD when possible.  My mom got me a food scale (among other kitchen gadgets) for my birthday, and I've been experimenting a little with it.  I've been feeling like my eating wasn't matched to well to my activity, so it will be neat to spend a little time tracking more accurately once I get a few days to do so.  Already I can tell I have been underestimating my calories somewhat.  When life gets less stressful I will need to tweak things apparently.  The Precision Nutrition calculator suggests 2098 calories for body recomp for me, but I have been getting more like 1700 if the stuff I'm learning from the food scale is right.  I definitely skimped on protein this week (it's always the first macro to go when life gets busy!) and it has affected my recovery big time!  Lots of soreness from both lifting and CKD!  Crazy.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, soror said:

Ya, for a fun night. I like to watch Gaffigan's specials on tv, he always makes me laugh. That is so exciting and nervewracking that you have a presentation coming up, I have a very small presentation for Scout Sunday this weekend and I am so completely dreading it, I half wish for some type of temporary illness to get out of it, I hate being in front of a crowd. 

20 min yoga this am

DOMS today on the inner thighs from the stairmaster, I could feel it in wide legged child's pose. I've got some tightness in my shoulders too but that is most of the time, I'm always working them to keep up the flexibility. 

I'm not so keen on presentations, either. Fortunately, this time it's a poster presentation where my colleague and I stand beside the poster of our research and talk to people as they pass by and ask about our work. This should be a lot more fun and much less stressful. 

Great job with your yoga!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Two nice gentle walks today in glorious sunshine. I had planned to NW after work but forgot my shoes, so went home and did a double dose of yoga instead. I'll try to NW tomorrow.

So not fair you are getting all the sunshine over there, glad you are enjoying it.

15 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Well I have sort of settled into what passes for normal for the next 3ish weeks.  I've been visiting my dad in the hospital in the city every other morning and doing upkeep at my parents' house on the other days in the afternoon.  He will be moved to a stroke rehab place over the weekend to get him well enough to come home. 

Been too busy to get quite as much exercise as usual but I have still been lifting and going to CKD when possible.  My mom got me a food scale (among other kitchen gadgets) for my birthday, and I've been experimenting a little with it.  I've been feeling like my eating wasn't matched to well to my activity, so it will be neat to spend a little time tracking more accurately once I get a few days to do so.  Already I can tell I have been underestimating my calories somewhat.  When life gets less stressful I will need to tweak things apparently.  The Precision Nutrition calculator suggests 2098 calories for body recomp for me, but I have been getting more like 1700 if the stuff I'm learning from the food scale is right.  I definitely skimped on protein this week (it's always the first macro to go when life gets busy!) and it has affected my recovery big time!  Lots of soreness from both lifting and CKD!  Crazy.

So, they are expecting 3 weeks or so for rehab? How is his recovery going?  Not surprising nutrition hasn't been perfect with all the busyness and stress, stress is not helping recovery either I'm sure 😞 It is so hard, I'm sorry you are going through this. Some of us tend to be too strict and some too lose, it is good to know which way you lean, I hope the scale is a helpful tool for you. What is the new goal? 

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm not so keen on presentations, either. Fortunately, this time it's a poster presentation where my colleague and I stand beside the poster of our research and talk to people as they pass by and ask about our work. This should be a lot more fun and much less stressful. 

Great job with your yoga!

Oh, that doesn't sound nearly as bad. I have to get up in front of a huge giant church I don't even attend, again trying not to think about it.

I had another good workout, woot ! No PRs or such but felt solid and had good endurance.

Got to bed later (for me) and am feeling tired today.

Hoping for a walk today and bucket carry- we'll see if I'm in the mood for the lighter or heavier one.

Eating has been good after a few days of cookie indulgence as long as it evens out I'm happy. 

Lunch will be some leftover beef w/ mushrooms, pepper, onion, spinach, and half a large baked potato (with a pat of butter). Dinner will be frozen gf pizza (easy night) w/ extra veggies on top. I'll have eggs w/ veggies this am or steel cut oats w/ fruit, not sure which for breakfast. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, soror said:

So not fair you are getting all the sunshine over there, glad you are enjoying it.

Eating has been good after a few days of cookie indulgence as long as it evens out I'm happy.

This morning we have fog, but the sunshine is just breaking through again.  The weather is meant to change over the weekend.  I've had a bit of a back-and-forth on eating too - there's been lots of extra food in the office and I haven't always been that sensible.

Today I plan to do gentle yoga in my locked office at lunchtime and then Nordic Walk this evening before going out to a local concert. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

This morning we have fog, but the sunshine is just breaking through again.  The weather is meant to change over the weekend.  I've had a bit of a back-and-forth on eating too - there's been lots of extra food in the office and I haven't always been that sensible.

Today I plan to do gentle yoga in my locked office at lunchtime and then Nordic Walk this evening before going out to a local concert. 

I saw the sun yesterday for maybe a total of 5 minutes, UGH. However, now they are saying that it will be sunny Saturday, I hope so. I think it is good to indulge here and there, I don't want to be so fretful over being perfect I never do(and I don't want to set that example to my daughters- I want them to have a balanced and healthy approach to eating- eating disorders are so rampant today I do not want to encourage that), we are maintaining so we must be hitting the mark pretty well. 

• Like 3

15 min kickboxing intervals (got HR up some but not super intense) 15 min stretching

steel cut oats won for breakfast- plain w/ banana, greek yogurt, bit of pb and choc chips

And slight vent one of my loved ones is trying out some new crash diet (one of a very long line b/c they can't pick anything that isn't extreme), complained about headaches and feeling weak. Why, why? can't they pick something reasonable and moderate, it is the same cycle- pick crash diet of choice, follow it feeling sick the whole time b/c lack of food/nutrients and then completely abandon it eating anything and everything in sight. Starving our bodies is not a good thing and never works in the long run. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1