Menu

Disney World Food

Joker

We lived in FL for 10 years and have been to Disney several times but we only ate quick service food. We would usually just drive in for the day and food was never high on our list of things to do. Dd and I are tagging along on a work trip with dh in early March and the three of us decided we wanted to do Epcot and we would like to try out some of the better restaurants this time around. We usually just enjoy eating small bites here and there through Epcot but I thought one restaurant on site would be nice.

Also, is the Spirit of Aloha luau worth it? I booked us for the night before Epcot but some of the reviews have me second guessing.

So, what's your favorite sit down places inside Epcot?  Where would be a nice place for dinner the night before Epcot (so not inside of one of the parks)?

Also, dd's preference for food would be Asian or seafood.

So... I have eaten at three places in Epcot... the restaurant in China, in Japan, and in Mexico. Well, and quick service places. None of them were standout to me, especially not for the price. If you had the dining plan, then yes, do it. But... since you mention Asian, we did the Japanese steakhouse years ago and it was fine, just Japanese steakhouse which is always fun and good but not anything beyond. I love and know Chinese food... and I'm also not a snob about it... I like Chinese American food too. But the Chinese restaurant was downright weird, honestly. I rank it really low. I mean, some of it is the price... like, this is okay, but, is it worth that price? Meh.

There's lots of good options at Disney Springs, but I don't know what to tell you specifically. We were there a couple of years ago and I know others will know better than we do, especially for a proper sit down meal.

• Like 1

So this is jmho, but when you go to the restaurants at Disney you're going for the *experience* not the food. The food will be fine, but Disney has a habit of making it palatable to everyone. Remember, everyone has to come away with a magical experience. So the german will be very mild, enough so that someone who doesn't like german at all will be fine and someone who does will probably, well I don't know. It's fine. And I don't really think someone who loves Japanese food, say, will go wow that was the best Japanese food EVER. Kwim? It will be fine, and you'll read occasional reviews where people say what they had (say at the chinese restaurant or whatever) was unusually good and that they go to China or whatever and know. But just me, I would pick by the *experience* you want.

So for fun experiences? I haven't done the Spirit of Aloha, but it's doubtless fun. The reviews are good, right? If you want that experience (and the videos on youtube appeal to you), do it!! Then Epcot. I'm a great lover of Biergarten. The experience is incredibly fun. They take you in in groups and at some point (especially if you time it right) the musicians come out and play. Such a hoot, so, so fun. You really cannot go wrong with Biergarten, so long as you're willing to eat german. And mind you, it won't be strong. And it's very fun, highly recommend for the FUN of it.

The San Angel Inn is a fun experience. I love how it gets so quiet and dark when they seat you, and you can watch the volcano. It's just very charming in the middle of all the bustle. The food is QUITE flavorful, makes my mouth water just thinking about it! *I* love it. Does my son love it? Maybe not so much. But I could eat there over and over.

We ate fish at the british pub, I forget the name. It was a lot of batter, very noisy. I think you really have to want that experience, otherwise just order at the counter for the fish and chips. 

I haven't eaten the other restaurants like France. Oh we did eat in the Canada restaurant. That was SO unusual. It was like a lodge, lots of wood, deep/dark/quiet. The salad was exquisite and the poutine too salty. My ds had a meltdown during the meal and we had to leave. Never went back because it was just so salty. That's Le Cellier. Tried their famous soup during the food fest and it was salty too. Just not for me I guess.

Ooo, Coral Reef! Low on experience (big room with a fish view, big whoop), but the food was DIVINE. Like really elegant, quite nice. They had this heirloom tomato salad that was so so good. I totally need to be back there, lol. That one I would go to for the food. Like not world class, but quite good, good enough.

Ok, another trick with Disney restaurants. They don't really give a rip about your need for variety or what you want. Food allergies they care about, sure. But beyond that, if you don't like what is on the menu, pick another restaurant, kwim? So like with me and Coral Reef, the ONLY thing I liked on the menu was that heirloom tomato salad. I kid you not. It was what I wanted, and I went for that. They might not even have it now. So always check the menus and make sure you'll be happy. I don't eat beef and don't want a lot of white flour, so maybe I'm harder to please. The Disney menus for each restaurant are pretty limited, so it's best to check.

I like the gelato at Il Volo at Disney Springs *better* than the gelato in france in Epcot. But you know, it's fine. Get the gelato, watch the fireworks, sure. But if you're there anyway, Disney Springs is going to have some good food. :biggrin:

If it were just me and I didn't need to deal with ds, I would eat at one of the Moroccan restaurants. I think the reviews have said they don't hold back. 

How old is this dd? Have you thought about doing a character meal? In Epcot you could snag Akershus. Or do dinner with Cinderella at the Grand Floridian. We did the latter and the food was acceptable. The characters were AMAZING and the food was good enough, just kinda normal. I'm not sure I would want to eat a Norwegian breakfast, even to see lots of princesses, but there you go, lol.

Are you going to Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom? Seriously good sit down meals at the other two parks. The food at MK is pretty lackluster. I adore lunch at Be Our Guest, and if you haven't done it you might try using the reservation finder and seeing if you can snag lunch. I haven't done dinner since they changed to the new format. It kinda out classed me, lol.

Well have fun! 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

The only restaurant about which I've heard consistently good reviews of the food is  La Cellier, the Canadian steakhouse, but I've never been there.  My favorite is actually Rose & Crown, the British spot, but it is in no way to be confused with fine dining. We just always had the most consistent service and decent food there.  The Moroccan place (Marrakesh?) is fun.  There was a belly dancer the night we were there, but I have no real recollection of the food.  The German restaurant is a buffet, but it was good.  Noisy, but good.  The Mexican is nothing to write home about; it's fine, just no special OR fun (it is very dark).

12 hours ago, plansrme said:

The German restaurant is a buffet, but it was good.  Noisy, but good.

If you go at lunch it's quieter. They only open up half the buffet. I've done both dinner and lunch. I like the atmosphere at dinner better, but the musicians still came out. If op goes there, she can google for the music schedules. I try to schedule our reservation so the music starts about 20 minutes after. That way we're seated and have our food and they start. They finish about the time we finish, so it's just perfect.

11 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Ohana (at the Polynesian) was super yummy and fun

Absolutely!! So simple, so good. And it's really fun, just a perfect experience.

11 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Sanaa (AKL) was wonderful and the view is amazing, especially if you get a window table. Yay giraffes!

Dream!!! I haven't been there (or to Boma). They're on my someday hit list. I seem to be cruising instead of going to Disney these days. They jacked up the prices on annual passes and offended my mortal soul. Well that and everything cool that's coming up isn't done. If I wait a year or two, the place is gonna be a whole new park! 

12 hours ago, plansrme said:

The Mexican is nothing to write home about; it's fine, just no special OR fun (it is very dark).

Aw shucks.  I went the first time with my dad, and it was SO special. The waiter was amazing, and actually I think we had the same fellow when we went again a year later. That time it was me and my ds. But it might just be me. I was pushing ds (75 pounds) in a medical stroller through a hot, bustling park. You get into the quiet, the candles, the volcano, and for me it's just magical. I'm always looking for these quiet, peaceful places in Disney. We like the West Wing of Be Our Guest for the same reason. We usually spend a long lunch, 1-1 1/2 hours there, just resting. But people should definitely roll with what they think they'll like. 

Btw, I don't know if op realizes this, but except for the most coveted reservations, you really don't have to choose now. Seriously. You can just use the My Disney Experience app, be in the park, and roll with your mood.

• Like 1

At Epcot, I like to eat at the food booths during the festivals. They are small servings, so it is easy to try different things at several different booths (especially if you are sharing).

We have eaten at the counter service part of Morimoto’s in Disney Springs. It has some offerings that are not found at Asian restaurants where I live- a bit too adventurous for me, but my DS loved it. He has asked that we try the full Morimoto restaurant on our next trip.

It's been several years since I've eaten there, but Coral Reef was fun. The seafood was good and the desserts were outstanding. We live near New Orleans, so our seafood standards are pretty high. We found everything tasted fresh and high quality, just not seasoned enough for us. 

The seasoning on almost everything at Disney is super mild, so much so that we routinely carry a seasoning shaker with us, lol. Even the Moroccan food was bland. 

I haven't tried any of the Asian food. 

• Like 1

I'm a Disney travel agent, and have been to Disney a lot. I also get a lot of feedback from clients about dining. One in Epcot that I get a lot of positive feedback about is Teppan Edo (hibachi in Japan). Another is Le Cellier steakhouse in Canada (albeit pricey). We also really enjoy Via Napoli's pizza - it's wood fired and the $40ish one will feed 4-5. It's really big! Tutto Italia was another we really enjoyed, but it has been a few years since we've been to that one.

For something outside parks, I'd recommend Disney Springs. There are several really good places to dine there. We actually LOVE Cookes of Dublin for fish and chips. It's the counter service version of Raglan Road Irish pub, but the fish and chips are always super hot, fresh and we go there every trip. Morimoto Asia is highly recommended. My sister-in-law and brother went last month and loved it. There are quite a lot of good places to choose from in Disney Springs.

IMO, Spirit of Aloha is not worth the price, but it's been quite a few years since I've gone.

Edited by StaceyinLA

(I should mention, perhaps, that my husband works for Disney. So, we're regulars in the parks and around the property and have eaten at a lot of restaurants all over the place. I do have some dietary restrictions, though, so my recommendations skew towards restaurants that either have GF/vegan items on the menu or are especially good about accommodating those needs.)

The Morocco pavilion has three restaurants: The flagship Restaurant Marrakesh. There is a counter service outlet called the Tangerine Cafe. The newest addition is called the Spice Road Table.

For experience and good food, we have enjoyed Restaurant Marrakesh, which is large and nicely decorated, but can be kind of loud, especially when the belly dancers are performing. We've taken guests there, too, and had good experiences.

Lately, though, when it's just the two of us, we've gravitated towards Spice Road Table. It's smaller, but pretty, and offers outdoor seating when the weather allows. It's right on the lagoon and has large windows. And the food is yummy.

Without a doubt, though, our favorite WDW restaurant is Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's a buffet based largely on foods from all over Africa. Just delicious, interesting, and fun. And it gives you an excuse to visit the AK Lodge, itself, which is pretty cool. 

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 2