Menu

Treasured Conversations (& Homeschooling at the Helm) closing Dec. 31st

On 12/18/2019 at 11:15 AM, 8FillTheHeart said:

...when I called my (about to close) business Treasured Conversations...

Just wanted to draw attention to this bolded side comment in a longer response in the Ester Marie thread on this board. If you were at all considering Treasured Conversations for your grade 3-5 Writing/Grammar, this will not be around much longer, so you may wish to get your download now. Also her Homeschooling at the Helm is through that same business.

Just something I noticed and thought others might wish to know about. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I'm glad people have found them helpful.  🙂

In our last state, having a small business was simple. Here the burdens are onerous. I have decided that the cost and regulations are too much to justify maintaining my site, so I will be closing it down on New Year's Eve.

That is horrible, 8. You worked hard on those books, and they have provided huge benefit for many.  I'm sorry that the effort to keep your work available is so onerous.  Ug. 

Etsy definitely does not need a business license for you to sell. I've sold a few things on Etsy and didn't bother with anything like that. If you go over a certain amount, I believe then it does become a tax issue for your state.

If you wanted to go the KDP route, Amazon deals with all the taxes for you and then it's sold for Kindle and Amazon's print on demand service. Formatting for it is pretty easy. Yes, they take a chunk, but it's passive income and they send you your IRS documents. It's all very easy. No business required. That's how I published my book. TPT also takes a cut and - I'm pretty sure - operates similarly to KDP.

I sell my curriculum through my business (plus the consulting stuff) and yeah... it can be onerous. I totally get why that would be too much hassle.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Etsy definitely does not need a business license for you to sell. I've sold a few things on Etsy and didn't bother with anything like that. If you go over a certain amount, I believe then it does become a tax issue for your state.

If you wanted to go the KDP route, Amazon deals with all the taxes for you and then it's sold for Kindle and Amazon's print on demand service. Formatting for it is pretty easy. Yes, they take a chunk, but it's passive income and they send you your IRS documents. It's all very easy. No business required. That's how I published my book. TPT also takes a cut and - I'm pretty sure - operates similarly to KDP.

I sell my curriculum through my business (plus the consulting stuff) and yeah... it can be onerous. I totally get why that would be too much hassle.

If you google business license and selling on etsy, this is what you get: ETSY AND BUSINESS LICENSE

Amazon won't sell my book bc they consider it a workbook and won't sell self-published workbooks. It was already rejected.

My state requires a business license and monthly taxes no matter how little in sales and a $50 fine per month for not filing even if there is $0 in instate sales.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
Changed link for clarity
  • Sad 9

Would it be possible to maybe sell just the teacher book of Treasured Conversations as an Amazon book, for the same asking price as the teacher and student book together right now, then include a "free" copy of the student pdf as a link to download separately that is hosted elsewhere? Maybe include the link in the book or a password for a password protected download?

I was able to go ahead and purchase Treasured Conversations today and I've only had a small chance to glance through it but I already love it more than I thought I would. I'm so sad that some places make it so difficult for small business owners and we lose great things like this.

I don't come on this board much anymore, but boy am I glad I sauntered through tonight! I've been looking forward to using Treasured Conversations with ds for a couple of years now but had put off purchasing until he was ready. 

Homeschooling at the Helm was a game-changer for our school a few years ago. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us, 8! I am hopeful that you can find a partner and continue reaping the well-deserved rewards of your labor.

• Like 1

Thanks @WendyAndMilo. I have been talking with my ds to see if he wants to take it over.  He is contemplating it.  Nothing is sure right now other than my actual website and store will be shutting down on the 31.  It will probably be at minimum several months before I know what if anything will be happening to it in the future.  I just have too much going on right now to think about it. 

On top of life, I just got a phone call about an hour ago that my brother had a "sudden death incident." (Not sure what that actually even means.) He is in an induced comma and after 72 hrs they will determine whether or not he has any brain function????  I have had a distant relationship at best with him, but my dd and I have been having the conversation the past few days prior to all of this about how we should interact with family that we really don't want a close relationship with.  This took the conversation and made it very much forefront reality.  😢

• Sad 12