Menu

New puppy maybe —What was I thinking

Scarlett

11 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

She’s totally adorable!  Also, with that genetic mix I hope you’re into working out with doggy because she is probably going to remain one athletic little lady 🥰

Oh that was part of the plan.  Dh and I both desperately need exercise.  By spring when she is ready for walks we are going to be ready as well.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, school17777 said:

Scarlett, how is the puppy?

A mess.  Precious and sassy and smart,  see this back massager?  We use it to get her toys out from under furniture,  I had it stuck in one of the wine racks in my china hutch.  She pulled it out of the shelf and was pushing it around under the china hutch where her ball was.   I think that is amazing.  
And the other day I went out the front door to the flower bed...I dared to not take her.  Dh said she ran back to the living room and tried to get her leash off the shelf.  

20BCFCDE-4CE5-49BC-97FB-11A080B629D2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

A mess.  Precious and sassy and smart,  see this back massager?  We use it to get her toys out from under furniture,  I had it stuck in one of the wine racks in my china hutch.  She pulled it out of the shelf and was pushing it around under the china hutch where her ball was.   I think that is amazing.  
And the other day I went out the front door to the flower bed...I dared to not take her.  Dh said she ran back to the living room and tried to get her leash off the shelf.  

I'm so jealous — the #1 item on my bucket list is to someday own another dog that's smarter than a goldfish. 😂  I'm so glad she turned out to be an awesome little "person" like your Maggie. ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Scarlett said:

20BCFCDE-4CE5-49BC-97FB-11A080B629D2.jpeg

That’s great that she know how to get her toys!  Sounds like she has a fun personality.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2019 at 7:06 PM, Pen said:

Tails and feet and coat could help a bit with breed guesses— like if mama has a thick Lab otter tail or a thin Pointer tail.  Or if feet have webbed toes, or if coat is double Lab coat, or single coat.  

Location too, and what breeds are common in area.

But sometimes unless it’s known or some dog DNA is run all you can do is guess.

We know our dog is a Labrador-Dalmatian Cross, but might not have ever guessed what the non Labrador part is had we not known. 

What is an otter tail and a double Lab coat?  We have a new puppy, too, and the father is unknown, but we suspect Lab.  

On 1/20/2020 at 7:51 AM, StephanieZ said:

Maisy is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations!!

Re: mouthing. Firstly, call it "mouthing" instead of "biting" when it's the sort of playful chewing/greeting/playing thing. I avoid using the word "biting" unless it's aggressive/worrisome biting. If it's just "using their mouth as hands," I call it "mouthing."  

Our golden retriever (turned 1 a few days ago), like most goldens, wants to use her mouth to greet people and/or try to guide you. We keep a basket of toys near the front door and stuff a toy in her mouth when folks come in the door (ideally, when we hear them on the porch!) This is a classic training method where you teach a "replacement behavior" that you want (or don't mind) that is incompatible with the behavior you are trying to discourage. She can't put her mouth on your arm or coat if it's full of a stuffed sheep, so it works well. As would be expected, after a couple weeks of us reliably stuffing a toy in her mouth when she would have ordinarily wanted to mouth them, she was soon grabbing a toy on her own when she was excited about someone's arrival. I'd say she does it on her own 50% of the time, and the other 50% of the time, she cheerfully accepts the offered toy. 

We also greet her by rubbing her belly (which she loves) since she has to lie down on her back to get a belly rub -- another behavior whcih is mostly incompatible with either mouthing or jumping on people. 🙂

So, that's my advice. Stuff a toy in her mouth. 

Okay, this sounds like very useful advice.  I'm going to be trying this!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

It was so fun reading over this thread. The first pics I got of Mazie were impossible to tell anything about how she would look.  We were guessing and guessing and she turned out to be mostly German shorthair pointer and she looks sooo much like that now.  Here is a current pic of her....ok three pics!

D871EC0A-721F-4AAB-BE09-344DE50CE003.jpeg

F9A9834D-3116-42A8-BF8D-9F85925D21A7.jpeg

A7409C02-F9DA-486E-ADEF-DF3168935504.jpeg

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

She's beautiful! ❤️

Thank you.  I have never had a dog this smart.  She is just amazing.  Who would have dreamed when we picked her up in in late January of 2020 that a worldwide Pandemic was going to lock us down for a year. I don’t  know what we would have done without her.  Especially me.  I had a rough 6 months prior to lock down and I really needed this girl.  

• Like 4