Menu

Vent: Christmas gifts probably won't arrive in time!

Monica_in_Switzerland

Grrr.  I ordered a number of gifts this year.  Some from us, some from the grandparents who sent me gift cards to let me choose things.  I thought I'd ordered in plenty of time, all the estimated shipping times were well before Christmas.  

Nope.  Today I got my fourth notice that items had shipped, with an estimated arrival date in January.  

😫

My kids will be getting a lot of envelopes with descriptions of their presents in them.  😂  Luckily I did get a couple small items locally and their local uncle will be getting them fun gifts. 

• Sad 10

Oh dear! Well maybe the places will surprise you. I've had that happen too. 

And some of your kids are really little. Maybe start building up to it now? Like get that Elf on the Shelf gig, put it out to start the countdown, and just own that it's gonna be late? There were two sleighs and one is running late. And set the date late so if they come early they're surprised.

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Oh dear! Well maybe the places will surprise you. I've had that happen too. 

And some of your kids are really little. Maybe start building up to it now? Like get that Elf on the Shelf gig, put it out to start the countdown, and just own that it's gonna be late? There were two sleighs and one is running late. And set the date late so if they come early they're surprised.

This is a sweet idea!  Luckily I bought the two little ones' presents locally, so they are covered.  The two big ones wanted model kits and airplane parts and random things like that.  They'll understand, but I'm bummed about it because I got them a couple of surprises that would have been awesome for them to get on the 25th.  Grrr.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, parent said:

My Amazon order from Monday still hasn't shipped. 

I'm curious, was it supposed to ship or you picked pokey ship? I like doing Pokey ship, because then I can earn $$ for digital stuff. Of course then I forget what brilliant things I was going to buy with the digital credits. 

58 minutes ago, parent said:

It gave me the time frame it would arrive, 12th-18 with the free shipping.  Anything faster to our area is very expensive.  I am very frugal about some things, and I hate paying for shipping.

ETA

But I expect it to ship the next day via a slower method, not sit in a warehouse for a week before shipping.  Somehow that is more stressful.  No progress.

Well amazon cracks me up, because that's what I assumed too and it doesn't seem to be what they do. I'll select the pokey shipping (because I have Prime and get a credit), and they'll let it sit until like the last day and then BOOM ship it the fastest way.

I'll like your fill the truck idea. They really might be doing that, lol.

Interesting... I wonder if that's what's happening with my amazon order as well, which is one of my ones that will probably be late.  I ordered from German amazon because they have free shipping to Switzerland (we don't have our own amazon) and it's just... processing.  Not shipped yet.  I'll bet they do batch them to truck them over the border.  Maybe at least their Christmas books will arrive in time...  

2 hours ago, scholastica said:

Will they be there in time for Epiphany? Some cultures have that as their gift giving day. Frame it as a change of pace.

I like that idea!   Maybe reframe Christmas as church/ movie/ doing something special day and Epiphany as the present day???

• Like 2

4 hours ago, parent said:

My shutterfly order actually did this too, was ordered 2 weeks ago and said it would be here via UPS but it transferred to the post office so who knows when it will arrive. 

We have really bad luck with Shutterfly. The tracking number sometimes doesn't work at all. Or it works at first but then the tracking shows no activity after a couple of days -- and the package just disappears. We've lost multiple packages this way. Shutterfly has refunded our money & reshipped things on different occasions. Sometimes, without an update to the shipping status, one will show up several days late. So, now we just wait.... one package is supposed to be here on the 14th & so far it is MIA (tracking info shows nothing four days after it shipped). Two more are supposed to ship tomorrow. 

@Monica_in_Switzerland I hope they all arrive in time anyway!! Keep us updated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 8:05 PM, parent said:

Oh no!! It's my first order from them.  It was hard to find someone to do the metal print in panoramic.  It still has 3 weeks til Christmas, but yes was supposed to be here Tuesday, and tracking says it was transferred from UPS to post office on 11/30 and since then silence. 

I wondered if these ever arrived? Two of the three arrived after a short silence. One has been MIA for almost a week so far. I'll call if it doesn't arrive on Wednesday.

Also, I wondered if OP had an update?

Can I vent, too? We ordered an Amazon firestick on Black Friday. It's been out of stock and the delivery getting pushed further and further back. Now it's saying it'll come after we leave for our Christmas travels. We'll be gone a week, and there's no one we can ask to check our porch for us. Boo. Hopefully it'll be packaged well (the elements + electronics=no good) and not get stolen...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Can I vent, too? We ordered an Amazon firestick on Black Friday. It's been out of stock and the delivery getting pushed further and further back. Now it's saying it'll come after we leave for our Christmas travels. We'll be gone a week, and there's no one we can ask to check our porch for us. Boo. Hopefully it'll be packaged well (the elements + electronics=no good) and not get stolen...

Is there time to switch delivery to a locker place?  (Not sure how these work)

16 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Is there time to switch delivery to a locker place?  (Not sure how these work)

Oh, I don't know. Definitely worth looking into! Thanks for the suggestion.

We didn't want to cancel the order because it was a great deal (almost half off) -- probably why they're having trouble meeting demand! But maybe we can change the delivery location (even to the house where we'll be staying...)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I wondered if these ever arrived? Two of the three arrived after a short silence. One has been MIA for almost a week so far. I'll call if it doesn't arrive on Wednesday.

Also, I wondered if OP had an update?

Thanks for asking, I was coming to update!  

I went item by item through my amazon order until I found the one item that was not "Want it delivered this week?" but rather had a long delivery estimate.  I modified my order and deleted that item, and boom, everything shipped out later that day!!!  Arrived here safe and sound.  

AND!!!  My "big" surprise box of cool stuff arrived as well!  These are gifts the kids didn't ask for and aren't expecting, but that I know they'll love.  I was so disappointed when I thought this wouldn't come, but it's HERE!!!  

So, my story ends well!  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

If it's shipping via USPS, you can just have them hold all your mail for the week you're away and deliver it all when you return. I always do that when I travel.

If it's UPS, you can enroll in UPS My Choice and change the delivery date or have them hold it for pick up. There's a paid version of My Choice, in which case all changes are free, and there's a free version which generally charges a small fee for each change you make à la carte.

• Like 2