Menu

Any Washington Nationals fans on here?!?!?

mlktwins

1 hour ago, Junie said:

While we're bragging on players from the teams we're not rooting for... (I love this thread!)

I kind of stopped breathing last night every time Altuve came up to bat.  He is such a great player.  #respect

I stopped breathing too!  Did not want him hitting a homer 😂!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was fun!

Dh, dd17, and dd15 watched the game with me tonight.  The girls are not baseball fans, but neither are they fans of going to bed. 😉  I told them they could stay up if -- and only if -- they watched the game.  And, I think they enjoyed it. :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tbog said:

Oh my heck...I almost felt sorry for the Astros tonight. Yeh....naaaaaah. 😂

We're rooting for the Nationals, because DD is a Nationals fan (we're long-suffering - emphasis on the suffering - SF Giants fans), but... dang.  Poor Astros. I totally felt bad for them.  I'm such a mom sometimes.  "That's enough runs, Nationals.  Let's keep it fun for both teams!"  I think I lack the killer instinct of pro athletes 😂 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Farrar said:

I’m really glad we went to that. DMV locals, if it goes to game 5, the tickets are free - you just reserve online - and there were plenty of families in the stands.

Game 6 for the watch party?  I think 5 is here, although I hope we aren't playing a game 5.  So stressful, but so fun.  I am exhausted and am glad there isn't a game tonight -- LOL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Game 6 for the watch party?  I think 5 is here, although I hope we aren't playing a game 5.  So stressful, but so fun.  I am exhausted and am glad there isn't a game tonight -- LOL.

I think this is correct; game 6 & 7 are back here in Houston, till then y'all are over there in DC. 

(we, of course, are hoping for at least game 5......at this point, I'll be happy if it's not a clean sweep......)(....well, our favorite weather guy is still predicting Astros in 6.....)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, shinyhappypeople said:

We're rooting for the Nationals, because DD is a Nationals fan (we're long-suffering - emphasis on the suffering - SF Giants fans), but... dang.  Poor Astros. I totally felt bad for them.  I'm such a mom sometimes.  "That's enough runs, Nationals.  Let's keep it fun for both teams!"  I think I lack the killer instinct of pro athletes 😂 

This made me laugh!

The wonderful/awful thing about baseball is that at this level you are never truly safe.  I have seen many comfortable leads blown in the 9th (or later) innings.*

*Disclaimer -- I am a lifelong Orioles fan.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TheReader said:

It's okay, feel sorry for us! LOL! Gosh, our guys were just not playing well at all. Egads. 

Y'all's team is *really* good, though!! I was almost happy for y'all.......😂

16 minutes ago, shinyhappypeople said:

I was feeling bad in that 7th inning.  I'm such a mom too.  DH was upstairs again after watching the 1st inning.  He woke up right after the game ended and I heard a "Holy #$%@" come from our room 😲!  LOL!

• Haha 1

I was an Orioles fan before I became a Nats fan.  I went to a few Orioles games and watched while Cal Ripkin Jr. was in his prime (I am old -- LOL).  Then my twins were born in the summer 2005.  The Nats were born in 2005 :-).  I watched a lot of tv those first few months with twins, including baseball games.  I decided that our family was going to become Nats fans since the team was "born" the same year my twins were born.  Silly huh?!?!?  My boys have always been Nats fans.

• Like 4

Nats stadium is going to be CRAZY Friday night!!!  The boys and I are going out of town, but will be watching in our hotel room.  I told my DH to watch the 1st inning, yell at the tv, and turn it off -- LOL.  That seems to have worked for them so far -- LOL.  Wishing our Washington Capitals could be there to cheer them on, but they will be in Canada for a game.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I was an Orioles fan before I became a Nats fan.  I went to a few Orioles games and watched while Cal Ripkin Jr. was in his prime (I am old -- LOL).  Then my twins were born in the summer 2005.  The Nats were born in 2005 :-).  I watched a lot of tv those first few months with twins, including baseball games.  I decided that our family was going to become Nats fans since the team was "born" the same year my twins were born.  Silly huh?!?!?  My boys have always been Nats fans.

So far I have had no trouble being an O's fan and a Nats fan.  One is AL and one is NL.  They really don't meet very often.

I told ds19 that if the Nats and the O's ever meet in the World Series I will sell something on ebay to buy tickets for the two of us to go to a game.  :)

• Like 5

I'm another that also roots for the O's on the side. I mean, they were our team for several years. Initially, dh didn't want to switch because we felt a lot of loyalty. So for the first couple of years, we kept rooting for them more. We never went to that first couple of seasons at RFK. And then when the kids were old enough to start actually remembering things possibly, he was like, okay, we're switching! By fiat for the household, lol. But by then I was on board too.

Multiple years we've had the mini-package season passes where you get like half a dozen games and the ability to buy post-season tickets. I wish we had that this year. Of course, if we did, I'd probably just sell them and use it to finance a trip to Europe or something. I like baseball, but not, like, THAT much.

• Like 4

On 10/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, Junie said:

Love the Nats!

Ds19 especially is a huge fan.

I love baseball.  I've been an O's fan all of my life, but the Nats are my NL team.  So So Excited!!

*Still only reading this thread side-eyed and every few days*

You are my people. Hey, we only had the O's for years. When I had my 2nd child, I didn't stop loving my 1st child. I have enough love for both the O's AND the Nats. 

I'm such a nervous wreck. It takes all I have not to stress eat. I'm exhausted too. And I'm not even watching b/c if I watch, they will lose!😂I have enjoyed DVRed viewing the next day, though. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Junie said:

So far I have had no trouble being an O's fan and a Nats fan.  One is AL and one is NL.  They really don't meet very often.

I told ds19 that if the Nats and the O's ever meet in the World Series I will sell something on ebay to buy tickets for the two of us to go to a game.  🙂

Are we the same person? My ds is close in age to yours too and lives, eats, and breathes DC/MD baseball. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Nats stadium is going to be CRAZY Friday night!!!  The boys and I are going out of town, but will be watching in our hotel room.  I told my DH to watch the 1st inning, yell at the tv, and turn it off -- LOL.  That seems to have worked for them so far -- LOL.  Wishing our Washington Capitals could be there to cheer them on, but they will be in Canada for a game.

Our secret sauce is to go to bed in disgust only to wake up and learn that the Nats have won! Let's both keep making that secret sauce!

• Like 2

On 10/22/2019 at 3:24 PM, KrissiK said:

I will be cheering for the Nationals. I am a Dodgers fan, but I knew they would choke in the post-season, no matter how great they do in the regular season. So, I will cheer for the National League in the Series, as usual. Unless the Giants are in the Series. I never cheer for them.

We usually can’t bring ourselves to root for the team that beat us in the post season but this year it felt like we beat ourselves. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shinyhappypeople said:

I don’t think 3 World Series trophies in the last 10 years qualifies as long-suffering! Unless you’re talking about how much parking costs at AT&T (it will always be AT&T, I don’t care what they say). 😉

Edited by sassenach

3 hours ago, sassenach said:

We usually can’t bring ourselves to root for the team that beat us in the post season but this year it felt like we beat ourselves. 

Same here (STL).  Not to discount the Nats at all, because they are absolutely on fire.  But if I had a dime for every time this season I shook my head at our offense and said, “Right now he couldn’t fall out of a boat and hit the water...”  The NLDS and NLCS magnified that.

It does feel like every team’s crumbling has been primarily induced internally.  Maybe I hadn’t paid enough attention in seasons past (we’d been out of the postseason for 3 years) or the “juiced/nonjuiced ball” issue brought the stats into perspective.  But the last week of the regular season, it was a race to see who could lose the least, instead of win the most to clinch those final postseason slots.  A lot of bullpens were running on fumes and injuries piled up at the wrong time.  I haven’t seen so many teams go that cold at the end in a while.

• Like 1

Well...I didn’t think we would win them all 😂😂😂!  I also didn’t think we would lose on our first game of the World Series the Nats ever played at home 🤪🤪🤪!  

We got to our hotel much later than expected.  We didn’t finish dinner and get back to the hotel until around 9:30.  We had the gameon while I was unpacking.  Around the 7th inning, I sent the boys to other room to watch ‘cause I couldn’t watch anymore 😬

Maybe they all ate too much of Soto’s b-day cake before the game LOL?!?

We will be having fun at an amusement park all day today, hopefully forgetting our sorrows 😂😂😂!  We’ll probably get back to the hotel after tonight’s game starts.  Supposed to be some rain or showers tonight at home.  Hope there are no rain delays.  That really messes with the pitching.

Have a great day and I’ll see you back here tonight!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Well...I didn’t think we would win them all 😂😂😂!  I also didn’t think we would lose on our first game of the World Series the Nats ever played at home 🤪🤪🤪!  

We got to our hotel much later than expected.  We didn’t finish dinner and get back to the hotel until around 9:30.  We had the gameon while I was unpacking.  Around the 7th inning, I sent the boys to other room to watch ‘cause I couldn’t watch anymore 😬

Maybe they all ate too much of Soto’s b-day cake before the game LOL?!?

We will be having fun at an amusement park all day today, hopefully forgetting our sorrows 😂😂😂!  We’ll probably get back to the hotel after tonight’s game starts.  Supposed to be some rain or showers tonight at home.  Hope there are no rain delays.  That really messes with the pitching.

Have a great day and I’ll see you back here tonight!

*Still not a full participant of this thread!*

Well, now the pressure is off, right? I blame DH. I went to bed. He didn't. He KNOWS the formula! 

I like Juan Soto too, but i have a hard time believing he is just 21...or has not had some "enhancement". 

We will keep busy and I just learned we have free movie channels, so I will do MY PART by not watching. *Angie glares at Mr. Angie!*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s a great series!!!  Nats are used to having their backs against the wall though...since May.  We’ve got this 😬🤪😁️!!!

The boys and I have’t been home to watch the first inning like we did the first 2 games 😂😂😂.  We are watching tonight LOL!!!

• Like 2

Can I ask the Nats fans an honest question, pretty please? Why aren't they playing Cabrera anymore?? We were genuinely liking watching him play. Can't find anything online about this, either....I noticed they didn't really use him yesterday, either......??? 

He seemed to be doing pretty good, I thought.......?  

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, TheReader said:

Can I ask the Nats fans an honest question, pretty please? Why aren't they playing Cabrera anymore?? We were genuinely liking watching him play. Can't find anything online about this, either....I noticed they didn't really use him yesterday, either......??? 

We just got back yesterday from a long weekend trip.  Why do the moms always come home so tired from trips and they have to unpack and do laundry -- LOL.  And...I had to run the boys to class at 2:30, swim practice at 5:30, and get some groceries.  I slept like a log last night -- LOL.

As for Cabrera, I know we got him from the Rangers in August.  He played a lot of 3rd base, but we have Rendon there and that isn't changing unless he is hurt.  Zimmerman was out for a while at 1st.  Cabrera seems to be rotating with Kendrick and I don't think his bat has been very hot lately.  Kendrick hit well in the NCLS, but had some fielding blunders.  It seems Kendrick and Cabrera are being rotated depending on the day.  Dozier is in there somewhere too.  Don't quote me on any of this though -- LOL.

I have to say that we are surprised and very disappointed at where we are coming into Game 6.  After the 1st two games, I did not think we would be down a game going back to Houston.  Our bats are just not doing well these past 3 games.  My boys are extremely upset at the home plate umps calls.  They seem a little biased against the Nats and there is a lot of talk about it on the Internet.  But...if we were swinging well, it wouldn't matter so much.  We left too many on base Games 3 and 4.  I turned Game 5 off and I think the boys finished it in their room -- LOL. 

We are not watching tonight as boys have class at 9:30 tomorrow and they were exhausted last week staying up to watch.  I have faith in Strasburg, but Verlander has something to prove after Game 2.  And, if we win tonight, who knows who is pitching for us tomorrow.  We may watch tomorrow's game if it goes that far :-).

So weird that we won both in Houston and the Astros won 3 in Washington.  Hopefully the mojo swings back to the Nats in Houston -- LOL.  And...what was up with the flashers at Game 5?  They weren't even fans of either team, but Instagram models (???) wanting to make a statement!

2 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

We just got back yesterday from a long weekend trip.  Why do the moms always come home so tired from trips and they have to unpack and do laundry -- LOL.  And...I had to run the boys to class at 2:30, swim practice at 5:30, and get some groceries.  I slept like a log last night -- LOL.

As for Cabrera, I know we got him from the Rangers in August.  He played a lot of 3rd base, but we have Rendon there and that isn't changing unless he is hurt.  Zimmerman was out for a while at 1st.  Cabrera seems to be rotating with Kendrick and I don't think his bat has been very hot lately.  Kendrick hit well in the NCLS, but had some fielding blunders.  It seems Kendrick and Cabrera are being rotated depending on the day.  Dozier is in there somewhere too.  Don't quote me on any of this though -- LOL.

I have to say that we are surprised and very disappointed at where we are coming into Game 6.  After the 1st two games, I did not think we would be down a game going back to Houston.  Our bats are just not doing well these past 3 games.  My boys are extremely upset at the home plate umps calls.  They seem a little biased against the Nats and there is a lot of talk about it on the Internet.  But...if we were swinging well, it wouldn't matter so much.  We left too many on base Games 3 and 4.  I turned Game 5 off and I think the boys finished it in their room -- LOL. 

We are not watching tonight as boys have class at 9:30 tomorrow and they were exhausted last week staying up to watch.  I have faith in Strasburg, but Verlander has something to prove after Game 2.  And, if we win tonight, who knows who is pitching for us tomorrow.  We may watch tomorrow's game if it goes that far :-).

So weird that we won both in Houston and the Astros won 3 in Washington.  Hopefully the mojo swings back to the Nats in Houston -- LOL.  And...what was up with the flashers at Game 5?  They weren't even fans of either team, but Instagram models (???) wanting to make a statement!

Thank you for all of this!  Makes sense that they're rotating guys in & out; DH really likes watching Cabrera, as he seems so devoted to the whole "baby shark" hand signals and stuff, no matter what hit he gets. We do like Rendon a lot (well, and he's from here so that helps), and DH has asked if we can plan our "one day" D.C. trip for the spring so we can go to a Nats game (but I guess soon, while Parra is still there, as his whole point is to be there for the Baby Shark craze that takes over the stands when he comes out......). Seems like such a fun team. 

Believe me, we're just as surprised at the turn in the Series (although of course, our side is happy). Well, our favorite weather guy has been predicting "Astros in 6" since it started, LOL! There was a rainbow ending at our ballpark the start of the Series (day before or something....) and he posted it claiming it was "proof" of the trophy coming our way, LOL! There was also an "Astros Orange" sunset the first night in D.C. and he of course posted that as further evidence we'd win that game,.....it's hilarious to watch his FB page. 

As far as how things started, a lot of the theory around here is that you guys had so much time off between sweeping St Louis and waiting on us (to rest),  whereas we'd just finished w/NY right before.....no idea the validity of that or not, but that's of course the chatter here. Normally we are great at home, not so great away, so it was stunning to us to lose those 2 games, especially with Cole up and then Verlander....ooof, that game was awful for us/great for y'all. 

I do agree with the home plate calls.....there've been a *few* that seemed slanted in favor of the Nats, but definitely questionable on both sides. 

The flashers.....ugh. That was pretty ridiculous (luckily it was so fast we didn't see it when it happened, but of course it's making the rounds of the internet...). I'm glad the MLB organization came down hard on them. 

I hope tonight's game is a good game, either way; so much more fun (although nerve wracking) when it's more competitive/close of a game.  

• Like 2

I'm still not in this thread, but if I were, I'd be in a hospital bed, faint from nerves!

While I hold Arthur Ashe's response to unfair calls as the gold standard (See this article, the paragraph beginning with, "After our Sportsman profile ran, we received a letter from a reader, George L. Miller Jr. of Savannah."), I have to say that the home plate umpires have been VERY INCONSISTENT calling the strike zone and it's been against Washington. GRRR!

Even Michael Wilbon said so on PTI, and he's a devoted Cubs fan. 

/rant 

• Like 1

Just came to say, we didn't have our orange sunset tonight, so you guys may get your wish/hopes today after all.....

Either way, thank you for being a fun group of people to chat baseball with, and showing what good fans are like, and just being all around FUN to hang out with, even though I'm rooting for the "wrong" team. 

I must say, I can see why you all love the Nationals so much; I can see us cheering for them from now on, when they aren't playing against us (no matter which way this thing goes....).

May all the calls be fair & accurate, may every player be at his best, and (sincerely) may the best team win. Whichever way tonight (and tomorrow, if it comes to that) goes. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Junie said:

That was a really great game (minus the controversial call).  Good on Rendon for turning around the momentum!  And Strasburg was on point the whole game.  So, so excited for Game 7!

I fell asleep during the 7th.  Just woke up and was scared to check the score 😂😂😂.  Learned we won from you 🎉🎉🎉.  

Now off to watch the highlights.

Whatever ya’ll Nats fans were doing during Game 6, do it again tonight 😂😁😂😁!!!

Edited by mlktwins
Changed Game 7 for Game 6 :-)
  • Like 3

On 10/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, TheReader said:

Nice to see Cabrera last night, especially getting the final out! 👏

• Like 3

Poor Chip Hale having to hold back Davey Martinez!!! He must be sore today. Davey was fired up! ETA: Don't forget Davey missed a bit this season due to a heart condition! I was worried he would have another episode last night!

Yay, Strasburg! Gone are the days that Dusty Baker once expressed concern over. You are THE MAN! Keep it going tonight, Mad Max!

Now, I will say that I am sorry Soto repeated Alex Bragman's stunt w/ the bat. (Not a typo. Sorry, I don't like his ways.) I'm glad Davey expressed that in the press conference too. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TheReader said:

Just came to say, we didn't have our orange sunset tonight, so you guys may get your wish/hopes today after all.....

Either way, thank you for being a fun group of people to chat baseball with, and showing what good fans are like, and just being all around FUN to hang out with, even though I'm rooting for the "wrong" team. 

I must say, I can see why you all love the Nationals so much; I can see us cheering for them from now on, when they aren't playing against us (no matter which way this thing goes....).

May all the calls be fair & accurate, may every player be at his best, and (sincerely) may the best team win. Whichever way tonight (and tomorrow, if it comes to that) goes. 

This!

My favorite thing about the Nats' success this year is that it seems to me that it all started when a loving father (Parra) chose his 2 yod's favorite song as his walk up song ("Baby Shark") and then the fans got into it and then everyone - the players and the fans - started having fun. And then the Nats started winning! All from a fun teammate who apparently is big on positive thinking and hugs ("The duration" lol!)

Like this article too. 

Thank you for your example and sorry for my dig at Bregman above. I will say, Houston absolutely deserves to be there, and it has been a wonderful match up. All props to the Astros. We have always liked Jose Altuve. I mean, look at that size and he's a force in Major League Baseball!

As for Justin Verlander, he is an outstanding pitcher and from all accounts a great guy. He is from VIRGINIA! Nuff said? 

*Raising my water bottle to the toast "May all the calls be fair!"* 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2